• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Edit: Sorry for double post, realized this was the last post of the last page and wanted to start fresh to spur on some discussion.

Edit 2: Added a couple of honorable album mentions I forgot about

Seems like a good time to do "best of the year" stuff for 2017! For the albums I got the negative stuff out of the way first cause I wanted to leave the positive for last, here's all my shit, looking forward to seeing what others have :)

Top 10 Favorite Songs (no order).
I tried to only put one song from each artist on this list to diversify it as much as possible, so without further ado here it is :D

Cashmere Cat - Quit (Feat. Ariana Grande)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKhmCh68Qu0

CloZee - Secret Place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLrXM0EQ8c

Gorillaz - The Apprentice (feat. Rag'n'Bonee Man, Zebra Katz, RAY BLK)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdPyYze2NIA

CHVRCHES | 'Down Side Of Me (Live)'
This is a bit of a weird one, technically the original song came out in 2016, but this live version saw an official release this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2F_wEnLPZ4

Lorde - Green Light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMK_npDG12Q

St Vincent - Pills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwFx0ROBf7o

Oliver - Ottomatic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7rAOl3liP4

RY X - Shortline (Thomas Jack Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-8at-FzzFw

Yotto - North
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BG8h4CjxRQ

Kimbra - Top of the World (Produced by Skrillex)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4FApt6z55c

Worst Album of the Year

Memories Do Not Open by The Chainsmokers
df3b17e748de56e4ce78ac29b216d3f99afd0c5a

Normally, I would not make such a negative point in a list like this, but I feel like this has to be made. I made a joke post about this album in the last thread so it's time for a more serious review. This is an album that I felt really impacted music as a whole, and I mean that in the worst way possible. I don't wanna say that the album was categorically terrible, I've followed some of The Chainsmokers' background and to be completely fair, their productions are authentic, they know what they're doing on that end, and that can't be said about everyone. That being said, it's like they know their audience, and dumb down their music intentionally to cater to that. For example on "Something Just Like This", Chris Martin (Coldplay's singer) writes some of his weakest lyrics to date, and that's kind of an indicator of what this entire album really is. It had to be mentioned, I feel like it spawned a whole breed of music from old and new producers who realized they could get away with making such low effort music. These guys, without a doubt, lowered the quality of mainstream EDM. I knew it would happen, and it did.

Most Disappointing Albums
Gorillaz - Humanz

Gorillaz-Humanz.jpg

Uuuuugh... This album man. This album. I wanted to like it so, so, so badly. I really did. Many of the tracks leading up to this were fantastic, I even put The Apprentice as one of my favorite tracks of the year. Then the album arrived and it just completely fell flat for me. It honestly just felt like a huge playlist of songs with little to no flow between them, and the vast majority of these were just downright forgettable. It didn't even come close to the likes of something like Plastic Beach, and I really hope Damon Albarn realizes what made some of his previous projects much more successful.

Virtual Self (Porter Robinson) Self Titled EP

artworks-000253103615-cjrgh7-t500x500.jpg

Lol. Porter Robinson's first full body work since Worlds, three years ago, and this is what we get. It's not terrible, but it was just absolutely not for me. I'm not gonna say too much since I recently posted about this, but I can't get over how generic this project was overall. Really disappointing, I'm hoping for better in the future from Porter.

Honorable Mention Albums
Cashmere Cat - 9
Cashmere-Cat-9-1493130453-640x640.png

Great album, I feel like this really showed the diversity and evolution of what Cashy Cat is capable of doing. I mention this already but this album had one of my absolute favorite tracks of the year too (the Ariana Grande one), and I admire his risk taking even if it's not always my thing (SOPHIE collab). Give this one a listen!

Mura Masa Self Titled

Mura_Masa_album.jpg

This one's really cool as well, slightly more consistent than the above album, and I really dig some of the features on here as well like Charli XCX, Damon Albarn and such. Like the minimalist but energetic approach that Mura Masa seems to have.

Migration by Bonobo
104366.jpeg

I really enjoy this, Bonobo does some really nice, relaxing music with a lot of organic & dynamic elements thrown in. Very nice music especially while having a couple drinks on a quiet evening, I've heard he does a fantastic live show as well but I haven't had the chance to catch him unfortunately.

Album of the Year
Melodrama by Lorde
00-square-lorde-album-art.jpg

It's not wall to wall EDM, but a very large number of the tracks could easily be considered that, so it gets the title for me - also it was a tough one between another album, but I consider this more EDM and overall the better album regardless.
To say this album had a tremendous impact on me would be a massive understatement. Melodrama was a joint project between Lorde and Jack Antonoff primarily, with a couple of smaller contributions played by others (Flume, Frank Dukes, etc.). Lorde being only 20 years old when she released this album touched on the subject of growing into adulthood, dealing with the hardships of being an adult, and the hardships that come with being a celebrity as well. It's brilliant, sad, and beautiful from start to end. The quality of writing here is fucking incredible especially given she wrote it from 18-20, and Jack Antonoff's production is not only his best work to date, but also the best production of the year by a long shot. As you guys know from the previous thread, I don't give AOTY lightly. Do not miss this one, Lorde will be going down as an artist to remember. She's just getting started, I can't wait to see what she does next, I recently watched an interview with her on Zane Lowe and her "5 year plan" is to produce an album entirely herself

Last edited:

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks for me because my music listening has been steadily going down every year. I'll think of stuff to post about my favorites and least favorite things this past year.

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Armin Van Buuren Teaches Dance Music Production & DJing in Upcoming Masterclass coming early 2018

deadmau5 did one as well with the same company a little while back

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Armin will give the most cutting edge tutorials on having the crowd sit down and jump up when the beat drops

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Armin will give the most cutting edge tutorials on having the crowd sit down and jump up when the beat drops
Haha. In all seriousness he really does know a thing or two, I've seen him talk about production on previous videos and there'll be definitely be something to take away from that class for those who want to.

Previous video with Future Music

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. In all seriousness he really does know a thing or two, I've seen him talk about production on previous videos and there'll be definitely be something to take away from that class for those who want to.

Previous video with Future Music

Yeah, I'm just busting his balls ;)

He needs to do more Gaia shows. Hopefully the main stage bubble bursts soon so he can go back to trance full time.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
There was a link to it for me when I opened the app

hmm, i have the playlist of my top songs of 2017, but nothing sorting it out like that list you have there. bahumbug!

edit: nvm i found it and im going through the little interactive website haha. this is cool... LOL

Top artists:
Seven Lions
Sander Van Doorn
Ferry Corsten
Just a Gent
Ilan bluestone

Top Songs:
Seven Lions - Slow Dive
Just a Gent - Hold
Myon - Omen in the rain Seven lions remix
Stonebank - Feel it
Seven lions - Cold Skin

Top Genre:
EDM
Progressive House
Big Room
Electro House
Trance

edit 2: thanks swee

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The new The Blizzard sounds really good IMO, back to their Kalopsya roots.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Above & Beyond – Common Ground

Tracklist

"The Inconsistency Principle"
"My Own Hymn" feat. Zoë Johnston
"Northern Soul" feat. Richard Bedford
"Naked" feat. Justine Suissa
"Sahara Love" feat. Zoë Johnston
"Happiness Amplified" feat. Richard Bedford
"Is It Love? (1001)"
"Cold Feet" feat. Justine Suissa
"Tightrope" feat. Marty Longstaff
"Alright Now" feat. Justine Suissa
"Bittersweet & Blue" feat. Richard Bedford
"Always" feat. Zoë Johnston
"Common Ground"

Three from Bedford, three from Suissa, none from Alex Vargas.

If dealing with three more from Zoe Johnston is the price I must pay for the above, WOO.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
man, ive been on such a long hiatus of keeping up with music that i missed out on a lot of good tracks!!! Marriage, wife, kids and a lot of stuff kind of took over for me. but now that im back and listening to music more, like before i had this pop up in my playlist... ooo man, have it on repeat right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgu7yeSejt4

GTA - PRESSURE

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
So.... As I've said earlier, I haven't been listening to any new music for quite a while now since nothing is getting my attention. For my list of things that I think are what made 2017 great, I'm just going to list alot of Hardstyle because that's nearly all I care about and listen to. My top song will start it off!

I've been listening to some tracks from the beginning of this year and up to this point. There are alot of great Hardstyle songs that have been released this year and it honestly feels like a Golden Year for Hardstyle! My other post is most definitely a drunk post, but I'll be honest and say that it is one of the best 2016 songs that's released this year. Should I allow it to be in the list? Technically I can, but I won't.

Best Hardstyle Song of 2017:

Headhunterz - Destiny

Reasons: it's hard to deny that Willem has had a huge impact in Big Room and Hardstyle. So when he complained about the current scene in EDM (Big Room and Future Bass) and wondered whether he should return to his roots or not, many Hardstyle fans (old and new) rejoiced when he mentioned that. Headhunterz would then return to Defqon.1 as Project One with his best buddy, Joram, in 2016 and everybody went nuts as they played alot of classics that were remade and some new tracks.

Heady would then go on and announce that he is officially coming back and he came back with a powerful and melodic Hardstyle song in Destiny. The song is great because not only does it tell his story of who he should have been, but it tells us that nobody should abandon their roots at all. It tells us that any music can be our destiny and that it can be a lifestyle. Is it cliched? Sure, but compared to alot of other Hardstyle tracks it's the least cliched Hardstyle track at the moment.

Runner-ups (in no particular order):
TNT & DJ Isaac - Power Hour: it's a good song and it's old schoolish with the Reverse Bass and Screeches, but there's not much of a good message to make it one of this year's best Hardstyle track. It's got alot of energy though and that's why it made my list.

Noisecontrollers - Spirit of Hardstyle: definitely a very good song that could possibly have been my top Hardstyle track of 2017, but the impact just isn't there for me. Good melody, good climax and anti-climax, and a good kick. That's just it though. It's just a 'good' track.

D-Block & S-te-Fan - Antidote: quite possibly my second place because just like Willem, these two definitely felt the need to return to Hardstyle and they did it earlier and stuck with it, and they resurged by releasing Antidote the song AND the album. It's catchy, got a good message, nice kicks, nice climax, and nice anti-climax.

Sub Zero Project - The Project: this made my list because of their influence on the current sounds of Hardstyle. They may not have started the trends of adding Psy Trance into Hardstyle songs, but they did expose it to the world and by saying it loudly. Unlike others who have tried, the duo has made it so that the triplet sounds from the current sounds of Psy Trance can be inserted into a Hardstyle track and it can be hard, Raw, and Powerful. They've brought out the new generation of Hardstyle and made the older generation get up off their asses to try and make Hardstyle great and varied.

Top Hardstyle Album of 2017:
Phuture Noize - Pursuit of Thunder
Reasons: to be wholly talented in the Hardstyle scene is a rare sight, but there does come along someone who just understands the music and the passion behind the music. Marco just oozes it with this album. Nice productions, nice melodies from Rawstyle tracks, and pure energy can be heard from all of his songs.

Unlike above, I won't drag this on with more text lol. So I'll just list the links to their albums and songs.

I think that's about it for me. It's pretty long and monotonous if people don't really like or listen to Hardstyle, but that's all it's about for me right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
Both fantastic DJ's, still love this track by Joris Voorn, probably my favorite thing of his

I don't know much about him but I downloaded his Balance 14 mix and I liked it a lot. At the moment I'm just googling best djs/dance albums and checking the top ones on Youtube because I don't know any modern stuff. I hear it in clubs but I don't know what's being played so I've mostly just stuck to my mum's records

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
just flashed back to like 5 years ago

This song was somehow only made available on specific deluxe editions of Ellie Goulding's second album, Halcyon. What a shame because it still goes the fuck off! Also re: top 10s: i gotta do mine still eek

OP
OP
Aomber

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
just flashed back to like 5 years ago

This song was somehow only made available on specific deluxe editions of Ellie Goulding's second album, Halcyon. What a shame because it still goes the fuck off! Also re: top 10s: i gotta do mine still eek

Damn this is a fantastic track! Thanks for sharing I haven't heard this one, hope to hear some new Ellie soon

_swee_

Oct 26, 2017
Portland OR
So I listened to ODESZA's stuff before, but their newest album.....damn. I am officially hooked and now I am sad that I missed them on tour since I know they really are great live.

edit: found out they have a second show in Seattle now since the original show sold out so quickly....eeeek

Last edited:

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Cirez D and Adam Beyer doing a show in Miami in March.

I wish I weren't broke.

Edit:

You're doing amazing MD

Last edited:

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly shocked that they weren't able to get any Hard Dance DJ to celebrate their 20 years. I get that Hard Dance isn't a popular genre in the US, but they have always had a Hard Dance DJ for their other Ultra's outside of the US.

At the least try and get Headhunterz who is still coming off of a high from his return to Hardstyle. There's still Phase 2, but I highly doubt that they would get any Hard Dance DJ.

Hopefully they get Yellow Claw for Phase 2.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Thanks. Def wanna check this out.

EDIT: holy shit about 30 minutes in. This shit is dope.

You and I are definitely on the same page, musically... that's the John Talabot edit of Tons of Tones - Oh Ah Oh Ah. Discovered it via the EM and fell in love, here's a link to the original, unfortunately no Talabot mix on Youtube or any site to purchase yet :(