HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Just so I'm up to speed:

The PS5 version still runs at a lower resolution that the Xbox Series X version? Xbox is 4K and PS5 is not?
Switch version has crashes on top of running poorly (framerate, loadings, etc).

Xbox version runs at 4K but some areas don't hold 60fps very well and make it run very hot to the point it may overheat your console (forced shutdown with error message) depending on your setup.

PS5 version runs at 1080p since one of the first patches (and has some weird loading times glitches in the main castle it seems).

Pick your poison I guess.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
The article has a typo with the exact sales numbers.

"It's estimated by GameDiscoverCo that over 60,0000 copies of Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes have been purchased or redeemed on Steam, which would include both backers and purchasers."

Is it 60k or 600k, because that is quite a substantial difference. lol

Leaning towards 600k since they are saying it's selling well. They just misplaced the comma, I think.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yep. Going on three weeks now with no real communication. Something must be seriously borked.
I wonder if the PS5 version would be running into the same problem as the X Series versions where if it was 4K it would have a chance of overheating. And the devs did not want to risk complaints from the PS community because they expected it to be a larger player base on that console. This is pure speculation which to me would be strange that they would not also force the Xbox version to be at 1080p to avoid hurting people's consoles.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
There's no way the game sold 600k on Steam. It's at ~1500 reviews, which would put it closer to 60k with the most common estimates at 30-40x the review count.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if the PS5 version would be running into the same problem as the X Series versions where if it was 4K it would have a chance of overheating. And the devs did not want to risk complaints from the PS community because they expected it to be a larger player base on that console. This is pure speculation which to me would be strange that they would not also force the Xbox version to be at 1080p to avoid hurting people's consoles.
It's possible they encountered different issues on both consoles, like performance related issues and whatnot. Xbox overheating is uncommon AFAICT (I mean with regard to that game). Never heard about PS5 overheating (with that game anyway).

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe I'm able to play a new Suikoden (in everything but name) in 2024, I never thought I would see the day. That's incredible.

However, I am sad that it turned out to be a bad Suikoden game for me. Eiyuden is a huge bummer - almost every aspect of it is either uninteresting, poorly thought out, half-baked or downright broken. It's more like a Suikoden Checklist than an actual cohesive thing. It being such a blatant copy of the older Suikoden games shines an unfavorable light on this one.

It is my biggest disappointment of the year so far, and I'm struggling to even find the motivation to finish it.

Weirdly enough, everything I was greatly excited for this year ended up disappointing me - Eiyuden, Dragon's Dogma and, to a lesser extent, FF7. The only thing left is the Suikoden remaster (which I'm starting to think might have been silently cancelled or something), hopefully they don't ruin that too much. Suikoden II is one of my favorite games of all time and I would love to replay it with some of its more egregious faults fixed.

Also, there has to be a better way to handle Kickstarter backers than putting their stuff in the game. That's awful.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
There's no way the game sold 600k on Steam. It's at ~1500 reviews, which would put it closer to 60k with the most common estimates at 30-40x the review count.

Yeah, and there's nothing positive about the article. The only reason such sales would be positive for 505 is that they funded way less than the typical of quality AA JRPG. I would estimate easily less than $10m given the small team, including marketing. It also couldn't be more obvious why they force this game to be out by late April, which is to help them lay out something positive for the current fiscal year while damaging the reputation of the IP as a result (not that they care since they don't own it).

- - -

For the sequel, they should go with something iterative and reuse as much code and assets as possible, which means they should still stick with 505 Games. After that though, if they are still at it, stay far away from 505. And it's not that 505 Games people are bad, but it's their parent company Digital Bros. Too bad their position looked very healthy back in 2020, which was probably why Rabbit&Bear fell for it.

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is the thread for it, but I have a question about the kickstarter physical copy. Realized that I never received a copy of the game and checked the yetee portal to see what was up and it's asking me to pay for shipping. Anyone know who to contact to get that waived? I backed for 6000 yen and global shipping was included but I'm being asked to pay $20 for shipping.

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this is the thread for it, but I have a question about the kickstarter physical copy. Realized that I never received a copy of the game and checked the yetee portal to see what was up and it's asking me to pay for shipping. Anyone know who to contact to get that waived? I backed for 6000 yen and global shipping was included but I'm being asked to pay $20 for shipping.

Shipping costs were specifically not included during the campaign, both because they didn't know them at the time and because it would have been extremely hard to decide during the height of covid.

Coboney

Oct 29, 2017
The article has a typo with the exact sales numbers.

"It's estimated by GameDiscoverCo that over 60,0000 copies of Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes have been purchased or redeemed on Steam, which would include both backers and purchasers."

Is it 60k or 600k, because that is quite a substantial difference. lol

Leaning towards 600k since they are saying it's selling well. They just misplaced the comma, I think.

That's me - it's 60k not 600k

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Considering it sold over 70k on Switch and PS in two weeks in Japan alone, 60k total for global Steam including backers, sounds like... way too low? Or rather bad if accurate?

Oct 26, 2017
Considering it sold over 70k on Switch and PS in two weeks in Japan alone, 60k total for global Steam including backers, sounds like... way too low? Or rather bad if accurate?

There were 46k backers total, I'd guess maybe half of those at most went with Steam copies.

Classic RPG:s don't sell that well to begin with. This is not Persona or even Octopath Traveller. A lot of series are very happy with 100k sales overall. It all depends on budget and expectations. Suikoden V sold 200k in Japan, although there's no telling what the budget was for a late PS2 3D game compared to a modern 2D game.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
There were 46k backers total, I'd guess maybe half of those at most went with Steam copies.

Classic RPG:s don't sell that well to begin with. This is not Persona or even Octopath Traveller. A lot of series are very happy with 100k sales overall. It all depends on budget and expectations. Suikoden V sold 200k in Japan, although there's no telling what the budget was for a late PS2 3D game compared to a modern 2D game.
It just doesn't make sense for global Steam sales to be around ~40k (discounting backers) if physical sales in Japan alone were over 70k.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a PS5 update. Hopefully we get patch notes soon.

Here's a screenshot from the patched version on PS5 for those wondering about resolution:

EiyudenChronicleHund.jpg

EDIT: Also got my physical Switch backer copy yesterday:

bafkreiflvounlfswmkvjs5hbhd5qfwr36jwzv4lq2zkip64mzjuacgz4ye@jpeg

EDIT 2: Reuploaded the screenshot by transferring it to a USB stick, rather than downloading through the PS App. There's still a lot of JPEG compression, though, and it looks sharper on my TV. It's a 4K image, so whatever's happening under the hood, the PS5 is outputting a 4K image, rather than the TV upscaling a raw 1080p signal.

Last edited:

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
It just doesn't make sense for global Steam sales to be around ~40k (discounting backers) if physical sales in Japan alone were over 70k.
People have mentioned how the numbers do make sense.
Yes, Japan sales are significant, I have mentioned before as early as April 13 that it will be the biggest market and there's a reason why I panic over the Switch version and its marketing:
www.resetera.com

Suikoden creators announce Kickstarter "Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes" for PC, PS, Xbox, & Switch [UP: Funded] News

Usually such bugs only affect very specific scenarios. Reviewers could very well be playing with older builds, but it's common that there's a 'review guide' that advise reviewers to avoid doing something very specific as there's a critical bug which is scheduled to be fixed before launch, and as...
www.resetera.com

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes |OT| In loving memory of Yoshitaka Murayama OT

As I feared earlier, Eiyuden is getting review bombed in Japan for Switch performance, and momentum dropped sharply as of April 26. Due to initial hype, it will still do very well for 1st week sales in Japan, but after that, especially after Golden Week on Week 3, sales will rapidly drop to next...

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Here's a screenshot from the patched version on PS5 for those wondering about resolution:

EiyudenChronicleHund.jpg

EDIT 2: Reuploaded the screenshot by transferring it to a USB stick, rather than downloading through the PS App. There's still a lot of JPEG compression, though, and it looks sharper on my TV. It's a 4K image, so whatever's happening under the hood, the PS5 is outputting a 4K image, rather than the TV upscaling a raw 1080p signal.

For the Switch release, which version of the game is on the cartridge?

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
People have mentioned how the numbers do make sense.
Yes, Japan sales are significant, I have mentioned before as early as April 13 that it will be the biggest market and there's a reason why I panic over the Switch version and its marketing:
www.resetera.com

Suikoden creators announce Kickstarter "Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes" for PC, PS, Xbox, & Switch [UP: Funded] News

Usually such bugs only affect very specific scenarios. Reviewers could very well be playing with older builds, but it's common that there's a 'review guide' that advise reviewers to avoid doing something very specific as there's a critical bug which is scheduled to be fixed before launch, and as...
www.resetera.com

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes |OT| In loving memory of Yoshitaka Murayama OT

As I feared earlier, Eiyuden is getting review bombed in Japan for Switch performance, and momentum dropped sharply as of April 26. Due to initial hype, it will still do very well for 1st week sales in Japan, but after that, especially after Golden Week on Week 3, sales will rapidly drop to next...
I'm not following how your posts explain how such low global Steam sales would make sense.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

EiyudenChronicleHund.jpg

So PS5 version good now? D:

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
I'm not following how your posts explain how such low global Steam sales would make sense.

You used Japan as an example, but it was already known Japan is the biggest market for this game and Steam is the weakest market there.
So what you have said "if physical sales in Japan alone were over 70k." have zero bearing on how this mean Steam sales is not weak.

For Steam, all the numbers you need are here: https://steamdb.info/app/1658280/charts/
People who observe charts often will easily identify that there's nothing big going on here (definitely not 100k level). It's up to you whether you want to be convinced.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded the patch on PS5 and it fixed the game breaking bug that I had. I was able to trigger the scene I needed to continue the game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
the internet is so cooked, i'm trying to see what 1.06 does (it came to PS4 too so it's not just a resolution fix for PS5) and every website is like "update 1.06 was distributed on May 15, here are the patch notes for 1.04"

Oct 27, 2017
From fiddling around with SteamDB it seems like the game is off to a decent start on Steam:

YqD6Ish.png

Updating the 'peak concurrent player' comparison graph. You can add games of your choice to the comparison here (SteamDB):

Signing up for a free account at VGInsights gives you slightly more detail than you get without an account, but most of it is available without an account. Graph of estimated revenue for Eiyuden, on Steam: https://vginsights.com/game/1658280

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
This is what I've found online for that patch notes 1.06:

• Story progression bug that occurs when the home town is level 2 or higher
  • "Cooking competition" scoring bug
  • Equipment UI bug
  • Bug that causes the player character to become uncontrollable when falling from the giant gear in Burganthia Castle when playing as Melisa
  • Bug that allows players to go to Nordstar regardless of the progress of the scenario in a loop play
  • Minor translation fixes
  • (PS5 only) A bug that displays the resolution at 1080p even when it is set to 2160p
  • (PC, PS5 only) Fixed the 2D code for downloading season pass bonuses

Sangral