• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Why am I hearing console versions have performance issues? Seems to run beautifully on PS5...? About my only qualm so far is that the Now Loading animation appears frequently in transitions that last one or two seconds when it'd better for the screen to just stay all black lol.
The PS5 version looks awful on the patched version and the switch version runs very poorly. It's all documented on page 5

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
No, it's very noticeable cause the whole screen is shimmering and if you don't see it, cool, that is great for you, but this game is obviously running in somewhat 1080p on PS5 including menus when it just shouldn't and be native 4K like on PC, if you see it or not, it just shouldn't be like this.

I thought we are still in an Enthusiast forum here?
I don't think my reaction is over the top when this game should be technically absolute flawless on a f'n PS5 but instead is 1080p with messed up floor textures.

HtDmEb.png

I'm sorry that I expected the absolute minimum here. 🤷‍♀️
It's just a shame, in this state it feels technically super underwhelming and disappointing to me, like playing an old Xbox One game without enhancements.

If it would have dynamic res, or just gameplay being lower res and menus still 4K, or any other smarter solution, that would be completely different, but having the whole output being 1080p including menus just feels like playing an old last gen game on low resolution, it's really unpleasant.
So I got curious and checked, and that spot in the PC version actually looks like this too right now. Seems like it's probably just an issue with the current version, hopefully it'll get resolved with the patch later today.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Rising was surprisingly good and I played through it in two days. I guess I will also like this?

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I am downloading the ps5 version right now, but I could also play it on xbox series x gamepass. What would you choose?

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Well GP isnt available for 3 more days so..?

The version you own and can play earlier?

Not sure why this is a question tbh.
Sorry I coud've worded this better. I will have both a ps5 and xbox series x version. I will not have time to start the game today, and msybe not for a couple of days. I have read thst both versions have some issues. But would you rather play the ps5 or xbox series x version?

Mar 11, 2020
I'm sure it gets easier to win at Beigoma, but I don't see it ever being good, much less good enough to justify a lengthy sidequest for a couple character recruits. Rounds take way too long for a minigame that's essentially just a stat check where you know who will win seconds in, if not before the round even starts. And making you play the third round of a best of three even if you win/lose the first two is awful. Beigoma sucks.
Yeah i get ur points with it, it's def the weakest minigame, maybe aside from fishing as that's just mid. Idk why with fishing it's actually a downgrade from Rising. U had to do button combos there to fish and harder fish had longer combos, it was more interactive.

Beigoma becomes a bit more strategic later when you and your opponent have similar ranked ones you have to pick the right counters. Idk why they make u play the 3rd match if you won or lost the first two though.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
From impressions, seems like the game is good, but technically could be better. On consoles.

Got my copy yesterday, but I'll wait a couple more months. I'll go through Ronin, Unicorn Overlord and Yakuza 8 first.

Feb 15, 2019
Hopefully the patch is actually soon seeing as they said they wanted it to be in before the Backer's Early Access would've normally begun which would be in 1.5 hours.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So about 7-8 hours in just got the base and I'm loving it. Some stuff just recently really started to hit the early Suikoden 2 feelings.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
I think Suikoden fans will be kind to this game because we miss Suikoden. And its charm is working, and it's starting to grow on me.

But I also don't think this game is going to get amazing scores. It's incredibly messy in so many places. It feels like I'm playing a PS1 RPG in some of the bad ways. It feels budget and dated and desperately needs some more QoL with dialog and UI and whatnot. It just doesn't feel like any jrpg from a bigger studio or even indie dev would get away with some of the things this game is doing or lacking.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this needs some dialog QoL ASAP. The pause is too long during auto play. You can't pause during auto play. You can't switch off autoplay during scenes?? You can't turn off the beep from dialog advance? You can't read an entire random npcs without waiting for it all to appear? And there is no button to make it fully appear without closing??

Is this correct or am I missing something?
You're not the only one. The sound effect from advancing dialogue quickly is most annoying for me in particular. But yes, I noticed every one of the things you mentioned and it's so frustrating.
One thing though: if you disable auto play for dialogue, you CAN tap X to have the full dialogue box appear without closing. (It blew my mind that tapping X with auto play on would make the dialogue box close completely lol. So dumb)

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
This framerate encounter thing is seriously annoying, can do the full map without getting a fight, have to run around in front of the entrance to get at least one fight and try to have the game balanced, lol

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
so uhh why im concerned with the reception from this thread...

is it really not that good? or those just microcritique that doesn't affect the whole package

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I think Suikoden fans will be kind to this game because we miss Suikoden. And its charm is working, and it's starting to grow on me.

But I also don't think this game is going to get amazing scores. It's incredibly messy in so many places. It feels like I'm playing a PS1 RPG in some of the bad ways. It feels budget and dated and desperately needs some more QoL with dialog and UI and whatnot. It just doesn't feel like any jrpg from a bigger studio or even indie dev would get away with some of the things this game is doing or lacking.
Thanks, I'll wait for a few patches.

Mar 11, 2020
Me over here doing a cooking competition.

Oh there is a kid as a judge, i bet they would like lollipops.

No they do not lol. Find out later how to see favorite foods and theirs just lists "Anything tasty" unlike everyone else that does have some specifics.

Nothing i made was tasty i guess lmao cause they hated everything 😆

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017

is it really not that good? or those just microcritique that doesn't affect the whole package

In its current form, I'd say only Suikoden fans should bother. If they can clean things up in patches, that's a different story. I'm saying this only based off the first 7 hours though.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
More of a general complaint than one specifically for Eiyuden, but I thought a big talking point of the PS5 were going to be fast install times from discs, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

I also see the 1.003 patch being downloaded but don't know if that's the needed one.

Mar 11, 2020
In its current form, I'd say only Suikoden fans should bother. If they can clean things up in patches, that's a different story. I'm saying this only based off the first 7 hours though.
There is some roughness, but i would not agree. Even my hubby that never played Suikoden is getting into the plot and minigames with me.

It's well written and genuinely funny at times too

Honestly if u like jrpgs i would not recommend to hesitate. Life is short and i do not regret getting this game one bit.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I've never played a Suikoden before and I'm enjoying it a lot. It feels very much like a PS2 RPG. The only real issue is the character you may miss due to a sequence break, which you'd have to go out of your way to do, and there's a patch coming for that.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Trying to figure out the party system a bit.

The only people you can put in the Attendant slots currently are the locked default characters.

I'm assuming you still get all the same XP in the Attendant slots and that is kind of what they are for? So you can level up characters without using them. But, why can't I put my underleveled characters in those slots? Does that change?

Mar 11, 2020
Trying to figure out the party system a bit.

The only people you can put in the Attendant slots currently are the locked default characters.

I'm assuming you still get all the same XP in the Attendant slots and that is kind of what they are for? So you can level up characters without using them. But, why can't I put my underleveled characters in those slots? Does that change?
Attendants do not get xp.

Attendant slots are for current story required party members if you don't want to use them in the battle party

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Some fun things I have figured out about the game while playing

Weapon Type Advantages:

-Bows get high crit chance against Flying enemies. I think this might apply to all weapon advantages actually.
-Blunt always has a chance to stun regardless of whether you are using a Stun skill or not. Francesca can stun with basic attacks but the rate isn't super high.
-Slash weak enemies are present as well. I am not sure what weapon type the Main Character's dual staves are. I haven't seen him crit once yet.

Character Range Matters:

I don't know if the game covers this explicitly but each character has a Range of either Short, Medium, or Long denoted in the Status and Party screens. The effects are obvious (short range characters need to be in the front row or they can't attack) but worth Noting Medium characters can target back line enemies as long as they are in the front row and Long range can hit anything anywhere in the formation. Useful for sniping annoying enemies that do a lot of damage (like those damn rat mages in the mines).

There are probably more to discover. I really wish there was more depth but it does look like once you start unlocking more rune slots then characters at least a few more things to do.

The balancing is all over the place though. Iugo (one of the first recruitable characters) special skill seems useless or is bugged. I have had him take counter stance multiple times and he hasn't activated a single time on hit and it doesn't seem to provoke or draw enemy attacks to him at all.

Yusuke though.... IS A BEAST. Even if you only stack his self charge once he gets a significant power boost.

Some things I would like to see

- Let me change runes at Save points
- Let me fast travel between save points

Anything else you guys have figured out in the early game?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020
Some fun things I have figured out about the game while playing

Weapon Type Advantages:

-Bows get high crit chance against Flying enemies
-Blunt always has a chance to stun
-Slash weak enemies are present.

There are probably more to discover. I really wish there was more depth but it does look like once you start unlocking more rune slots then characters at least a few more things to do.

The balancing is all over the place though. Iugo (one of the first recruitable characters) special skill seems useless or is bugged. I have had him take counter stance multiple times and he hasn't activated a single time on hit and it doesn't seem to provoke or draw enemy attacks to him at all.

Yusuke though.... IS A BEAST. Even if you only stack his self charge once he gets a significant power boost.

Some things I would like to see

- Let me change runes at Save points
- Let me fast travel between save points

Anything else you guys have figured out in the early game?
For Iugo i think the taunt part is more the useful point of that skill, but i did pick up an accessory that says it ups counter chance so i haven't tested with him but i assume that affects that since it seems to be a chance to counter.

He def counters but just not always. When he does he takes no damage so i assume that's the balance

Hold off on your bottom two points. You have to unlock a lot of those things 😉

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
For Iugo i think the taunt part is more the useful point of that skill, but i did pick up an accessory that says it ups counter chance so i haven't tested with him but i assume that affects that since it seems to be a chance to counter.

He def counters but just not always. When he does he takes no damage so i assume that's the balance

Had the mole boss hit him a bunch of times in counter stance and no proc. I did not know it was a CHANCE to counter. Pretty lame skill if you ask me.

Mar 11, 2020
Had the mole boss hit him a bunch of times in counter stance and no proc. I did not know it was a CHANCE to counter. Pretty lame skill if you ask me.
He is already my tankiest character stat wise idk how, he feels pretty bonkers as is mid game for me. And he can put out some crazy high damage hits.

Bro tanks even magic hits better than any other party member lol.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Character Range Matters:

I don't know if the game covers this explicitly but each character has a Range of either Short, Medium, or Long denoted in the Status and Party screens. The effects are obvious (short range characters need to be in the front row or they can't attack) but worth Noting Medium characters can target back line enemies as long as they are in the front row and Long range can hit anything anywhere in the formation. Useful for sniping annoying enemies that do a lot of damage (like those damn rat mages in the mines).

This is a carry over from the Suikoden series. There was S, M, and L type fighters. Viktor was an S type for example and arguably the strongest front line fighter in both Suikoden I and II, slap a Double Beat Rune on him (2x Phys Attack per round) and he tears up everything. All of the main characters were an M-type. Most Archers and some Ninjas (Shuriken throwers) were Long Range fighters.

Also don't worry too much about Fast Travel. This is a mechanic that exists in Suikoden too but it's associated with a certain Recruit, and I'm very sure the same applies for Eiyuden.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I wonder if the terrain changes stat bonuses? Like, when there is a part of the terrain with a higher elevation if you put a specific type of character in that slot can they target the back row being medium range or maybe you can put a short range one in that slot to target the front row form the back rock?

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Me over here doing a cooking competition.

Oh there is a kid as a judge, i bet they would like lollipops.

No they do not lol. Find out later how to see favorite foods and theirs just lists "Anything tasty" unlike everyone else that does have some specifics.

Nothing i made was tasty i guess lmao cause they hated everything 😆
Cooking is bugged. The judges hate everything except for a few items that always win, like omelets. Hopefully this is fixed at launch along with the Lam recruiting bug.

Mar 11, 2020
Cooking is bugged. The judges hate everything except for a few items that always win, like omelets. Hopefully this is fixed at launch along with the Lam recruiting bug.
It doesn't seem like it's that way for me. Like Pieter liked most things which fits his favorite food, and not everyone likes or dislikes the same things. Def didn't feel like only certain foods were winning and it's very varied. I'll try specifically hitting fav foods and see if that's the case.

I've done 4 cooking battles so far and only lost one and was able to cater better to the next set of judges.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

For Iugo, I haven't ever seen his counter proc against boss attacks. It might not be able to. But it procs reasonably often against regular physical enemies.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Don't know what is it but enemies seem to always target Lian. She seems fairly fragile despite being one of the better medium range fighters. I have her decked out with the best possible equipment for a given area but she seems to always be targeted the most. I lost count the amount of Healing Herbs I used on her.