• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I've watched some videos and I've seen enough. I need this. Just want to know any major bugs I need to know about and anyone have steam deck impressions?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There wasn't enough characters in that area to fulfill the requirement. All I could find was Martha, Wyler, Marin, and Kerrin, and the rest of the area is blocked off by soldiers scouting for monsters. I was supposed to go back to Grum County in order to recruit people that I'd missed, and the game even tells you to do that, but instead I was stuck circling this same tiny zone for hours, checking every pixel to see if I'd missed something.

I have zero problem with backtracking. My problem is being gated in a tiny area and never being told that there's an exit. It's not like it was supposed to be a mystery. It wasn't behind a bunch of exploration and challenges. It was just assigned to a sprite of a well, of all things, in a backroom of your home base. Would it have been so hard to just stick an NPC next to the well that says, "Hey if you want to go back to Grum County, journey through this well."?

But yeah, if the game is going to keep doing shit like that, then I'll take your advice and stop playing.

It's odd, because when I got to the part where you are, I did NOT need to go back through the well. I was aware I COULD do so, but I didn't bother and I still got enough characters to progress the plot just in that one region.

Ok I've watched some videos and I've seen enough. I need this. Just want to know any major bugs I need to know about and anyone have steam deck impressions?

It runs completely fine on Steam Deck. No notes. You may want to turn it down to 30fps mode though, as the 60fps mode draws a lot of battery power if you're playing undocked.

Mar 11, 2020
That's good info! Can you spoiler tag which early characters I should scrap to up the challenge?
I can tell you right now, any character with the charge up defend, and there's more than one despite everyone thinking a certain one is the only one.

Iugo, all 3 MCs from the box art, Yusuke is one of those charge up people, Garr, Yuferius you get a bit later but he's also a charge up and is pretty op, maybe Francesca is a bit OP but you can just keep her full healer, she is actually an insane mage, Isha innate rune makes her pretty op too but she's a bit later too

Those are all the most OP characters i've noticed, a lot are front liners though so you may want to just stick with one of those at first till you get more.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I mean you exit the well at the end of the old mines and end up exactly where the castle is. You are supposed to remember that the well is connected to the old mines.

Remember how exactly? The last time I see Nowa he's getting smacked around by Seign outside of Eltisweiss. Then the party has regrouped in some nondescript area which they refer to only as "ruins". Then suddenly they're at some castle that I've never seen before. I've just been warped around the map several times and I'm supposed to somehow intuit that a non-descript well that I've also never seen before will somehow take me back to the previous zone? Maybe I missed a singular line of dialogue somewhere, but most good RPGs have the sense to give you basic wayfinding cues.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
It's odd, because when I got to the part where you are, I did NOT need to go back through the well. I was aware I COULD do so, but I didn't bother and I still got enough characters to progress the plot just in that one region.

You may have already recruited enough characters earlier in your playthrough. I think I missed a lot of recruitable characters because I didn't have the chance to explore certain towns and lost access to them due to story reasons (empire invading). I didn't realize I needed to hit those towns first before progressing the main story.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You may have already recruited enough characters earlier in your playthrough. I think I missed a lot of recruitable characters because I didn't have the chance to explore certain towns and lost access to them due to story reasons (empire invading). I didn't realize I needed to hit those towns first before progressing the main story.

That's almost definitely it, yeah. The game may have a soft 'floor' for army size that you need to reach to progress the plot, and if you already recruited a bunch of folks like I did you're much closer to hitting that floor than someone else might be.

My suggestion, if you have any interest in continuing, is to not fret too much. In the next arc of the story from where you are now, you'll be forced to recruit a character who can teleport to progress the plot. This SERIOUSLY cuts back on backtracking frustration to an absolutely ridiculous degree.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Remember how exactly? The last time I see Nowa he's getting smacked around by Seign outside of Eltisweiss. Then the party has regrouped in some nondescript area which they refer to only as "ruins". Then suddenly they're at some castle that I've never seen before. I've just been warped around the map several times and I'm supposed to somehow intuit that a non-descript well that I've also never seen before will somehow take me back to the previous zone? Maybe I missed a singular line of dialogue somewhere, but most good RPGs have the sense to give you basic wayfinding cues.
The end of the abandoned mine mission ends with you coming out of the well into the ruins. It's not said explicitly but they show them being connected before this.

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you right now, any character with the charge up defend, and there's more than one despite everyone thinking a certain one is the only one.

Iugo, all 3 MCs from the box art, Yusuke is one of those charge up people, Garr, Yuferius you get a bit later but he's also a charge up and is pretty op, maybe Francesca is a bit OP but you can just keep her full healer, she is actually an insane mage, Isha innate rune makes her pretty op too but she's a bit later too

Those are all the most OP characters i've noticed, a lot are front liners though so you may want to just stick with one of those at first till you get more.

Thanks! Yep, I'll scrap them as I get replacements. Appreciate it.

Mar 11, 2020
Did you miss going through the mines before that and finding the place first? there was a whole side thing before that point that you go through the mines and find it

Oct 26, 2017
The end of the abandoned mine mission ends with you coming out of the well into the ruins. It's not said explicitly but they show them being connected before this.

Yes, but I also didn't find this connection until much later when I ran through the dungeon again and ended up there. When you first get into the castle it looks nothing like that area. I was looking for a way back through the cellar.

Mar 11, 2020
Also just so you all know, there's a shortcut you get in the mines, idk when it actually opened cause i am pretty sure it wasn't open before, but it doesn't show on the map that it's an exit. Hard to explain but when you go down the well you go far right instead of left

I found some maps and marked them for people:

eLkFICN.png
TOzLRmK.png

Last edited:

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

So the castle we escaped to was the same castle the Kogen had taken over earlier in the game? I had no idea because we never really see that castle, so I thought Kogen was being facetious about having a castle. But even if that was made clearer, I also don't remember ever being told that the party was escaping the imperials via the mines. There was just some reference to looking for other survivors in the mines (who I assumed took shelter there). And when they'd regrouped, they talked about fixing up some old ruins that looked like it was somewhere outside at night. I guess they fixed up those old ruins by building a whole castle on top of them? The whole thing just feels really poorly explained.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So the castle we escaped to was the same castle the Kogen had taken over earlier in the game? I had no idea because we never really see that castle, so I thought Kogen was being facetious about having a castle. But even if that was made clearer, I also don't remember ever being told that the party was escaping the imperials via the mines. There was just some reference to looking for other survivors in the mines (who I assumed took shelter there). And when they'd regrouped, they talked about fixing up some old ruins that looks like it was somewhere outside at night. I guess they fixed up those old ruins by building a whole castle on top of them? The whole thing just feels really poorly explained.

I think the best way to put it is that the mines are on the other side of a mountain that an old, abandoned ruined castle is built into. So when you go into the mines and fight Kogen, you're UNDERNEATH the castle he and his cronies have been holed up in. But yes, I agree, the game should've clearly shown you the castle before you fought Kogen so you draw the connection, instead of saving the reveal for later.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I think the best way to put it is that the mines are on the other side of a mountain that an old, abandoned ruined castle is built into. So when you go into the mines and fight Kogen, you're UNDERNEATH the castle he and his cronies have been holed up in. But yes, I agree, the game should've clearly shown you the castle before you fought Kogen so you draw the connection, instead of saving the reveal for later.

The way you describe it - yeah, that would have been a really cool reveal! It feels like the devs had the whole sequence plotted out nicely in their minds but never took a step back to consider whether the specific story context, dialogue and visual cues all lined up to properly express that sequence to the player. Instead I got stuck spinning my wheels for a couple hours, and came away annoyed.

Mar 11, 2020
The way you describe it - yeah, that would have been a really cool reveal! It feels like the devs had the whole sequence plotted out nicely in their minds but never took a step back to consider whether the specific story context, dialogue and visual cues all lined up to properly express that sequence to the player. Instead I got stuck spinning my wheels for a couple hours, and came away annoyed.
I swear they specifically said at one point in the dialogue, lets go back to that castle we found. That's the only castle they found. Like i'm not sure any of that is necessary and i think you just missed it, but maybe i am misremembering.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I swear they specifically said at one point in the dialogue, lets go back to that castle we found. That's the only castle they found. Like i'm not sure any of that is necessary and i think you just missed it, but maybe i am misremembering.

They do absolutely say that, the problem is just that they don't SHOW the castle until AFTER that moment so it's easy for people to miss the connection.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

It could very well be I just missed that line of dialogue, but I'm not sure that line would have helped me figure it out, because the visual cues and dialogue weren't consistent with that meaning. Maybe it's just me. Ultimately I'd have much preferred to have had to actually escape there with my party, instead of just being warped there by the story.

Mar 11, 2020
They do absolutely say that, the problem is just that they don't SHOW the castle until AFTER that moment so it's easy for people to miss the connection.
There's only one ruined castle they found, i even went back and found the scene, and they specifically mention getting soldiers through mines too. I'm sorry this seems more like a reading comprehension issue imo.

w7DJcRk.png

Oct 28, 2017
playing the Ps5 on steamdeck and it's fucking glorious. The only thing that's grinding my gears atm is the fact that when you press X during dialogs, it complets AND closes the ongoing speech blurb. This wouldnt be a problem if the text-to-screen speed wasn't so fkcing slow.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's only one ruined castle they found, i even went back and found the scene, and they specifically mention getting soldiers through mines too. I'm sorry this seems more like a reading comprehension issue imo.

w7DJcRk.png

I know. My point is that again, we never actually see the castle.
The cutscene in the mines is just a cave. It would be perfectly easy for someone to see a bunch of losers like Kogen defending a cave in the middle of a mine and assume that they're calling it their "castle".

Yes, the characters know there's an actual castle there, but we as an audience do not. We are not shown that castle on screen until the player returns there after the fall of Eltisweiss.

Mar 11, 2020
The cutscene in the mines is just a cave. It would be perfectly easy for someone to see a bunch of losers like Kogen defending a cave in the middle of a mine and assume that they're calling it their "castle".

Yes, the characters know there's an actual castle there, but we as an audience do not. We are not shown that castle on screen until the player returns there after the fall of Eltisweiss.
Ok, i'll concede.

I don't see how you can't put 2 and 2 together, but maybe i just think differently. I get it, it needs to be shown for some people.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
playing the Ps5 on steamdeck and it's fucking glorious. The only thing that's grinding my gears atm is the fact that when you press X during dialogs, it complets AND closes the ongoing speech blurb. This wouldnt be a problem if the text-to-screen speed wasn't so fkcing slow.

I know people have made a lot of fuss over how the PS5 version looks on their TVs, but I assume streaming it on the Steam Deck looks great?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, i'll concede.

I don't see how you can't put 2 and 2 together, but maybe i just think differently. I get it, it needs to be shown for some people.

Yeah, like, I knew the second I did that dungeon that it would probably be setup for the future castle town, but ironically, I actually thought the entire castle would be UNDERGROUND. I was a little surprised when it turned out to be a traditional open-air fortress.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
Are they going to fix the PS5 version's visuals? I'm kind of interested in this but would be a lot more interested if they're committed to bringing it up to match the other versions.

Mar 11, 2020
Yeah, like, I knew the second I did that dungeon that it would probably be setup for the future castle town, but ironically, I actually thought the entire castle would be UNDERGROUND. I was a little surprised when it turned out to be a traditional open-air fortress.
You know what, i had the same exact thought too when it was fully revealed. Yeah it would have been better showing more.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018

YES! Really grinds my gears having such slow text when i'm a fast reader.

Mar 11, 2020
Turn off auto play, apparently it functions normally when auto play is off where hitting x before it all appears just finishes that text box out, doesn't go to the next one

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

Yes exactly! To add to this confusion, the map of Grum County does indeed show a castle, but it's to the northeast, and the location where you actually end up is marked with a mountain icon. I never got a chance to explore the castle to the northeast prior to the empire invading, so after the jump my first thought was that we ended up there.

Sn4p

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2022
Is there a workaround for the rising save import on the Game pass version? I can't get it to work.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018

This is so frustrating to see. I stopped playing 5 hours in because they made it seem like the patches they were doing would fix the recruitment issue. I started over after the third patch came on the 21st because they were actively telling people on Twitter it was okay to play. Thankfully I followed a guide on how to avoid the bugged recruitment anyways because it still wouldn't have been fixed! This has been some pretty poor messaging overall. These were all the commonly known bugs. It's great the bugs are being fixed, but come on.

I also put in a bug report about the PS5 version running at 1080p on the 505 support site. Perhaps that's why only some characters are blurry in the battle turn order? Hopefully they fix it soon or even acknowledge that it's a problem.

Edit: Also, don't look at the replies to this tweet! It's a bunch of insufferable people asking for them to change the localization because it's too woke and not like the Japanese version.

Last edited:

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
Finally got to play for a few hours (around 3 I think?) and It's great so far! The visuals look excellent - I love the character art, enemy/monster design, the visuals in combat are crisp and wonderful. The UI for things like Equipment and various menus is very tight and looks nice, and I'm a huge fan of what systems I have access to - though 3 hours in things are still pretty vanilla with just one Rune each (so one special ability to activate with SP, a resource that replenishes over time while you battle I believe - unlike MP that does not but is used for spells) and a basic attack. I've been auto battling most of the fights since the AI picks the options I would have done anyway. I really like the camera moving around gently from action to action, very Age of Wonders 4. I only have a few minor critiques at this point (and some of these may be alleviated as I progress in the game, like unlocking new menus or features):

1 - No map? There is a mini-map but no overall map that I could find, like of the city I'm in. That can't be right? I was almost sure I read someone complain that when you first get into a dungeon the map is fully revealed - that's strange, but I couldn't even FIND a map, so I'm just exploring using the mini-map to remember where I've been, trying to hit dead ends first as they often have treasure chests and such.

2 - Leveling up is a little lack-luster in terms of feedback. You gain a little to most of your stats and HP grows, but they don't give you like a nice little +4 or something next to a stat, it just goes from 50 to 54 and you only know how much it went up if you knew what the number was before. It doesn't matter since the numbers ARE raising, but I had to take before and after pics with my phone to confirm it originally. I guess it's just important that gaining levels improves your stats and HP, but it's nice when RPGs give you that little bit of satisfying feedback, imo.

3 - Shops having armor to equip is great, but I have wasted a bunch of money buying like a breastplate for a character and then seeing down the list another piece of armor that is even better chest armor using the same slot. I just need to keep an eye on this but it's not always clear what slot armor is using? Unless it's icon based and I just need to figure out the icon system - which seems likely, now I type that up. I've only been in one shop one time so far.

4 - During Auto the UI of your characters is hidden - this looks good, but I don't always know as my characters are getting beat up who's down to what for health. I've taken to starting Auto on the battles and immediately cancelling it so I can evaluate where things sit between rounds, and then either take over manually to heal up characters or do something I want to make sure gets done, or auto again. So that's not a big deal either, just worth mentioning.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
1 - No map? There is a mini-map but no overall map that I could find, like of the city I'm in. That can't be right? I was almost sure I read someone complain that when you first get into a dungeon the map is fully revealed - that's strange, but I couldn't even FIND a map, so I'm just exploring using the mini-map to remember where I've been, trying to hit dead ends first as they often have treasure chests and such.

There is a full-screen map, you can go to it by hitting Square/X on your controller.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
2 - Leveling up is a little lack-luster in terms of feedback. You gain a little to most of your stats and HP grows, but they don't give you like a nice little +4 or something next to a stat, it just goes from 50 to 54 and you only know how much it went up if you knew what the number was before. It doesn't matter since the numbers ARE raising, but I had to take before and after pics with my phone to confirm it originally. I guess it's just important that gaining levels improves your stats and HP, but it's nice when RPGs give you that little bit of satisfying feedback, imo.

I was thinking the SAME thing it's a little touch that I like because I'm assuming a game with this many characters knowing their stat leveling tendencies can help with party comp and focusing certain characters

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Opening the map screen also gets you a story summary screen so you know what to do.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
I was careless enough that I missed the map button for the first few hours of gameplay. It's a really nice map for once.

Are later dungeons as long as the first very long dungeon? It just went on and on and I was completely bored by the end.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I was careless enough that I missed the map button for the first few hours of gameplay. It's a really nice map for once.

Are later dungeons as long as the first very long dungeon? It just went on and on and I was completely bored by the end.

The Runebarrows is mostly just long because of how many cutscenes there are. Most of the other dungeons are nowhere near as cutscene (or scripted battle) heavy.

Sangral