• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

illmari

Mar 8, 2022
It's a bummer to see so many people this kind of down on the game, or "meh" at best. I am glad I ended up just playing on Game Pass, but man. I really am looking for something like Octopath, or Triangle Strategy, or the like to scratch this classic JRPG itch I've had for some time now…

Suppose I'm waiting for Metaphor.
If you enjoyed the Suikoden series, you won't be disappointed in this game I think. Don't expect anything groundbreaking with this game in terms of gameplay or story which I suspect some people might have expected. I too, wanted a classic JRPG game to play and this game I think scratches that itch.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I just got my base

only objective is to find more allies, do i have to go through the mines again to go through the world? COuldn't find any other exit

also i don't suppose there's an ally hiding somewhere in the base? Went everywhere and couldn't find anyone at least

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
The game certainly could have less cutscene breaks. Feels like you are walking a short bit, cutscene break, walking another few steps, cutscene. I'm still early on, but I've played long enough for it starting to become worrying for the rest of the game.

amodf

Nov 6, 2017
Say what? Are you locked, then?

Had another save before the dungeon but that save was finished. After getting back there I teleported out before then and the destination appeared in the teleport list as normal, so it must only be for a specific set of events, and most likely no one caught it since there's not much reason to teleport out after beating that boss but before triggering the point-of-no-return warning.

Athleon

Oct 28, 2017
I just got my base

only objective is to find more allies, do i have to go through the mines again to go through the world? COuldn't find any other exit

also i don't suppose there's an ally hiding somewhere in the base? Went everywhere and couldn't find anyone at least
There is a shortcut open that lets you go through the mine faster. Bottom right after going down the well, kind of easy to miss.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
This game is worse than I expected.

They do not explain anything to you.

"Nowa unlocked a new rune"

Ok what is a rune? Where is the menu for it? I even have some runes in my inventory, but I cannot do anything with them except discard them.

I had to go to the status page, and accidentally pressed triangle 2 times and then found out that was the rune menu. Even then, I could not equip runes or change anything there.

I tried using the help menu, but its bare bones and has barely anything in it.

I am seriously considering dropping the game. It has some of the worst PS1 tropes ever.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
This game is worse than I expected.

They do not explain anything to you.

"Nowa unlocked a new rune"

Ok what is a rune? Where is the menu for it? I even have some runes in my inventory, but I cannot do anything with them except discard them.

I had to go to the status page, and accidentally pressed triangle 2 times and then found out that was the rune menu. Even then, I could not equip runes or change anything there.

I tried using the help menu, but its bare bones and has barely anything in it.

I am seriously considering dropping the game. It has some of the worst PS1 tropes ever.
But you should have seen mutiple rune shops by now. Do you not check out every shop in a town?

Monado

May 30, 2018
Joinville, Brazil
Guys, I think I found a nice glitch.

I tried to farm Beigomas last night without much success and today I loaded my game, did my first battle (the Rabbit Knights outside Arenside) and guess what, I got the Beigoma. Then I tried the same with other enemies I knew dropped Beigomas and bingo!

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but it worked perfectly for me.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
I really wonder if the PS5 version will be fixed until I finish Unicorn Overload. So far, they haven't even acknowledged it, am I right?

I'm still here waiting twiddling my thumbs.
Have they really said nothing yet?

I don't think so. I wrote them numerous tweets whenever they were kinda active on Twitter and wrote them bug reports on their website and Discord. So far ZERO acknowledgment.

What's wrong with it? I've had 0 issues on PS5.

PS5 version is locked to 1080p currently while it should be native 4K like on Xbox.

Also, but that goes for every platform, the floor textures and several others are messed up and super blurry.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
If your party is fully when you recruit characters, you'll need to get to an Inn to swap them out. That is, if I'm understanding your question correctly.

Ah ok thank you,I was trying to add her just through the regular menu,will try at an Inn later.Theres like 4 more slots besides the 6 first,one that says support etc etc and I thought I could add her there...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok thank you,I was trying to add her just through the regular menu,will try at an Inn later.Theres like 4 more slots besides the 6 first,one that says support etc etc and I thought I could add her there...

So some characters are battle characters, some characters are support characters (unusable in battle, but they provide a special buff while they're in the Support slot) and then you get three flex slots. Those flex slots don't participate in combat, but they allow you to, for example, stick a character you HAVE to bring with you for the plot but don't want to use in battle in there so that you can free up a battle party slot. I stuck Lian in there for like the entire first act while she was mandatory because I didn't want to put up with her during fights.

I have only so far encountered one unit who can be both a battle and support character. Unsure if there are others.

Oct 25, 2017
The game certainly could have less cutscene breaks. Feels like you are walking a short bit, cutscene break, walking another few steps, cutscene. I'm still early on, but I've played long enough for it starting to become worrying for the rest of the game.

one of the few things that enrages me

the whole cutscene! take 2 steps! forced battle! cutscene! take 2 steps! forced battle! thing that i've experienced multiple times now is sooo obnoxious. i'm about level 17. please i don't want all the cutscenes for the next 40 hours that i have left in the game.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Switch patch reduced the encounter rate a fair amount. I started getting battles about half the pace I was before (in the rune barrows in Treefolk Village), this is going to drastically improve my experience with the game.

(More specifically - I was getting encounters on pretty much every screen pre-patch, two on longer screens. Post-patch I only got encounters on the long screens)

Unrelated, I wish the (HQ spoiler)Achievement Society did something other than display stats. The guy gives you an item that implies it'll do more.

one of the few things that enrages me

the whole cutscene! take 2 steps! forced battle! cutscene! take 2 steps! forced battle! thing that i've experienced multiple times now is sooo obnoxious. i'm about level 17. please i don't want all the cutscenes for the next 40 hours that i have left in the game.
If it's any help, that hasn't happened in about 5 hours for me (I'm level 30). There were two bad sections in a row for it right around where you were, which made it seem even worse.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
But you should have seen mutiple rune shops by now. Do you not check out every shop in a town?

I did see them in towns but again they were never explained. I have 3 runes in my inventory that I have no idea how to use or equip. I can only discard them when I highlight them.

Don't focus on the Runes. My issue is the game doesn't explain much and runes are only 1 of the things they don't explain

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The Proving Grounds was a nice dungeon. Always felt tense because i feared running out of healing items. And then the bosses... Half my squad was laying on the ground during most of the fight lol. On hard it really felt like i was always close to wiping, but i got both on the first try. Now on to more recruiting.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I think the Switch patch reduced the encounter rate a fair amount. I started getting battles about half the pace I was before (in the rune barrows in Treefolk Village), this is going to drastically improve my experience with the game.

(More specifically - I was getting encounters on pretty much every screen pre-patch, two on longer screens. Post-patch I only got encounters on the long screens)

Yup I also did the Proving Grounds last night after having downloaded the patch, and noticed that the encounter rate felt lower than usual. I was able to transverse whole screens in the dungeon with just one or even no encounters. And thank god too, because I hate being bombarded with random encounters while doing puzzle-focussed dungeons that require backtracking.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
The Proving Grounds was a nice dungeon. Always felt tense because i feared running out of healing items. And then the bosses... Half my squad was laying on the ground during most of the fight lol. On hard it really felt like i was always close to wiping, but i got both on the first try. Now on to more recruiting.

Proving Grounds was a nice early lesson for me that this game will throw back to back bosses at you. I was annoyed at myself for not healing my party after the first boss fight, and ended up on my heels for the second boss fight.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Sidetracking a bit to my Japan-specific rants, I think Switch version is the one that is quite a concern (low FPS, long loading times), not just simply for reviewers. By country, Japan will be the biggest market for this game and Switch version will by far be its most popular version. Just the arrival of Switch version today alone resulted in Eiyuden trending in Japan on Twitter. Poor word of mouth of this version will be very bad. Mainstream / casual audience will be much more tolerant, but unfortunately I currently see no effort in the marketings to reach this group. Marketing was good till end of March, with regular gaming press interviews and coverage, participating in gaming conventions and other gaming-related events, lots of promotional materials were sent to retailers, etc. But these mainly attracted the core gaming audience.

The launch month, which is right now, is the best time to expand the marketing to mainstream audience, which includes TV ads, train stations and many other busy areas. But there's no such signs. In interviews, the devs often expressed that Eiyuden is designed to be easily enjoyed by anyone, including people who rarely play games. The low pricing also shows such desire to reach a wide audience, yet the marketing efforts are contradictory to such intentions. If budget is the concern, then they could have allocate it more efficiently, like using gamepass money for marketings instead of DLC3. There's plenty of time to think about DLCs after the game is successful, I'm not sure why it was immediately decided to fund DLC3.

As I feared earlier, Eiyuden is getting review bombed in Japan for Switch performance, and momentum dropped sharply as of April 26. Due to initial hype, it will still do very well for 1st week sales in Japan, but after that, especially after Golden Week on Week 3, sales will rapidly drop to next to nothing. It's very sad to see Murakami addressing and apologizing to players individually on Twitter. He's one of the hardest workers on this project to give us the vast amount of hand drawn sprites. If they are making a sequel, I hope R&B is able to work with a better publisher.

The latest 1.04 Switch patch also won't make it on time to Japan before the start of Golden Week and currently has no ETA. Just like 1.03, Japan and Asia will receive it last.

Oct 26, 2017
I just got my base

Unless you missed a bunch of allies in the previous area, you don't need to go out through the mines. Just walk out the front door of the castle and explore the area around.

There's at least one ally that turns up in the castle, but that happens later.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
There's really an achievement for opening all chests? Terrible. Reminds me of Lost Odyssey, but those had invisible chests too, and missables iirc.

I'm still in the mines, but a minor pet peeve is that I wish turn orders were the same as character order. If Kuroto or Lian are first in turns, they should be the first to give orders to. Instead it's based on party placement, so Iugo for example is first, because he's on top of the front line.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Unless you missed a bunch of allies in the previous area, you don't need to go out through the mines. Just walk out the front door of the castle and explore the area around.

There's at least one ally that turns up in the castle, but that happens later.

What front door? Like the other person who answered me said, i had to go through the mine, by using the shortcut, and there was 3 allies to find inside there (only one of them was there before recruiting and he was only selling stuff, had to go back talk to him after to recruit him)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What front door? Like the other person who answered me said, i had to go through the mine, by using the shortcut, and there was 3 allies to find inside there (only one of them was there before recruiting and he was only selling stuff, had to go back talk to him after to recruit him)

There is an entire world map area outside of the castle, with several new recruits and the next main plot area, if you walk out the front entrance of the castle town. Have you explored the castle town yet? It has like six exits.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
There is an entire world map area outside of the castle, with several new recruits and the next main plot area, if you walk out the front entrance of the castle town. Have you explored the castle town yet? It has like six exits.

i only could find the well that goes back to the mine, i explored everywhere, what am i missing? lol

i went back to the previous area and recruited several characters already

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
i only could find the well that goes back to the mine, i explored everywhere, what am i missing? lol

i went back to the previous area and recruited several characters already

Go to the first floor of the castle, where Ymir and Iris have their little setups. The exit to the castle town is between their two "shops". It's on the southern border of the screen, flanked by two torches. It's right in front of the main stairs leading up to the second floor and down to the basement/jail.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
If you go to the first floor of the castle (where the front desk is with Ymir), just walk down/south from there. Mind blown?
Go to the first floor of the castle, where Ymir and Iris have their little setups. The exit to the castle town is between their two "shops". It's on the southern border of the screen, flanked by two torches. It's right in front of the main stairs leading up to the second floor and down to the basement/jail.

lol, i did that on the second and third floor and went on the balcony, somehow i didn't do it in the first floor, ugh

oh well that's fine, at least i got characters from the previous region, including the big bearded guy that gives you more material when you collect them in dungeons!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
As I feared earlier, Eiyuden is getting review bombed in Japan for Switch performance, and momentum dropped sharply as of April 26. Due to initial hype, it will still do very well for 1st week sales in Japan, but after that, especially after Golden Week on Week 3, sales will rapidly drop to next to nothing. It's very sad to see Murakami addressing and apologizing to players individually on Twitter. He's one of the hardest workers on this project to give us the vast amount of hand drawn sprites. If they are making a sequel, I hope R&B is able to work with a better publisher.

The latest 1.04 Switch patch also won't make it on time to Japan before the start of Golden Week and currently has no ETA. Just like 1.03, Japan and Asia will receive it last.

They honestly should have delayed the Switch version once it became clear there would be no Switch successor, because obviously a Switch 1 version needed substantial optimization. Releasing it in a poor state just because they viewed it as an obligation to backers was a very bad call due to its effect on reviews/WoM.

Nothing I've heard about their publisher, 505, has given me a positive impression though.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Just spent a half hour perfecting my strategy and waiting until luck was on my side, finally beat Reyna and got the bug and she still didn't join me...

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
After a play test on Gamepass I bought it for the Steam Deck. Looks and plays great but I'm still really early in game.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Just spent a half hour perfecting my strategy and waiting until luck was on my side, finally beat Reyna and got the bug and she still didn't join me...

You have to beat her in 2 rounds, not 3, if that's what's happening. The battle ends halfway through the 3rd and it doesn't count.

A simple strategy:

Use 2 characters with Charge, have them Charge first round.
Break her armor with Nowa, ensure he goes before the next step.
Put her to sleep with Sleep Edge, so she'll start the next round not defending.
Unload on round 2.

There's other optimizations you can make of course, but yeah, need to win on the second round. Something like the above worked for me on Hard, which has a higher threshold.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017

Unrelated, I wish the (HQ spoiler)Achievement Society did something other than display stats. The guy gives you an item that implies it'll do more.

If it's any help, that hasn't happened in about 5 hours for me (I'm level 30). There were two bad sections in a row for it right around where you were, which made it seem even worse.
I wish you could see the enemies on the map so you could choose the encounter or not like in Dragon Quest.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
You have to beat her in 2 rounds, not 3, if that's what's happening. The battle ends halfway through the 3rd and it doesn't count.

A simple strategy:

Use 2 characters with Charge, have them Charge first round.
Break her armor with Nowa, ensure he goes before the next step.
Put her to sleep with Sleep Edge, so she'll start the next round not defending.
Unload on round 2.

There's other optimizations you can make of course, but yeah, need to win on the second round. Something like the above worked for me on Hard, which has a higher threshold.

Thanks! Reworked my strategy to account for round 2 damage dump instead of round 3 and it worked.

I wish she was better than she seems though... I was hoping she'd have a unique rune

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Does the latest Switch patch improve any performance?
I haven't noticed a major difference and haven't seen impressions from others (checked the subreddit and discord). I felt like there might have been a slight improvement when I played last night, but it could've easily been the placebo effect. The overall experience is better from the reduced encounter rate though.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I did see them in towns but again they were never explained. I have 3 runes in my inventory that I have no idea how to use or equip. I can only discard them when I highlight them.

Don't focus on the Runes. My issue is the game doesn't explain much and runes are only 1 of the things they don't explain
I mean, if you went to rune shops then you would have seen the menu for equipping runes there...

I'm not saying the game is great at explaining all of its systems or mechanics, but I swear some folks aren't even trying either.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If they can get performance improved on Switch with reduced/dynamic res or whatnot, while the initial damage is done, it could help restore it in the near future and going forward. There are the multiple DLC chapters coming later, and with those could potentially come more improvements/QoL as well, so I'm not all doom and gloom. I eventually want the game on Switch, so I'm staying hopeful.

I haven't noticed a major difference and haven't seen impressions from others (checked the subreddit and discord). I felt like there might have been a slight improvement when I played last night, but it could've easily been the placebo effect. The overall experience is better from the reduced encounter rate though.
I don't think performance was one of the things addressed in this round of patches on any platform. Looks like they prioritized the Lam and cooking bugs, as well as the encounter rate bug on PC.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help me? I have now the HQ and need to recruit more allies. I have done everything that is possible and according to the IGN guide I have done everything needed:

• Nowa's Aunt Martha, who you may remember from Homecoming, can be found in your town just to the east of the Inn (and is chattier than ever)
  • Head to the area southeast of your town to Bounty Hill, where you can begin a side quest to recruit Wyler and Marin
  • In the area southwest, the Dappled Forest, you can find Kerrin directly to the right of the entrance. Just make sure you have 20 Lumber to give them!

but I do not get that a cutscene when going back to the castle…. I also build my first additional building outside of the tutorial flow

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Can someone help me? I have now the HQ and need to recruit more allies. I have done everything that is possible and according to the IGN guide I have done everything needed:

• Nowa's Aunt Martha, who you may remember from Homecoming, can be found in your town just to the east of the Inn (and is chattier than ever)
  • Head to the area southeast of your town to Bounty Hill, where you can begin a side quest to recruit Wyler and Marin
  • In the area southwest, the Dappled Forest, you can find Kerrin directly to the right of the entrance. Just make sure you have 20 Lumber to give them!

but I do not get that a cutscene when going back to the castle…. I also build my first additional building outside of the tutorial flow
It sounds like you've probably missed some of the recruitable characters in the Grum County areas, so go back down the well into the Abandoned Mines (go out the back exit from the first floor of the castle into the cemetery). There's a shortcut that opened up in the mine, so you don't need to go back through the whole thing. There are also new people in the mine itself you can recruit now.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like you've probably missed some of the recruitable characters in the Grum County areas, so go back down the well into the Abandoned Mines (go out the back exit from the first floor of the castle into the cemetery). There's a shortcut that opened up in the mine, so you don't need to go back through the whole thing. There are also new people in the mine itself you can recruit now.
Ufff. Ok thank you!

Mar 11, 2020
K so i am at the night of the final dungeon, i am at 90 hours lmao and still have side stuff to do and lots of cards to play, but anyone else that is endgame or at this point get a certain cutscene here?

It seems like i got a romantic scene with a random party member but i got Paquia? I'm so baffled at this. I recruited everyone, and i thought if there would be a scene like this it would be like most used battle party member or something but her? Why did i get Paquia lmao?

her-arrested.gif

I can't seem to find any info about this yet or if there even is certain criteria as likely not many have gotten to this point lol

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, if you went to rune shops then you would have seen the menu for equipping runes there...

I'm not saying the game is great at explaining all of its systems or mechanics, but I swear some folks aren't even trying either.

Because I went there to see what the shop was selling. When I realized it was runes and it cost a lot of money and it was literally the first 20 minutes of the game, I decided I will come back later when the game explains it to me (which it never did)

The game is shit at explaining a lot of things. No need to defend it