exodus

Oct 25, 2017
No improvement to stutter for me. SpecialK framerate unlock is no longer working. Kaldaian is updating it.

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
Patch fixes the stuttering and uneven game speed issues for me, but does not fix the strange drops in framerate. Also, the game no longer hits 60fps in most scenes for me, regardless of settings.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
PC patch means i can't even get to the fucking menu anymore, what the fuck

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
ravalidated files, nothing. can't launch game. fuck

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
does it crash crash or does it just hang? I can only see my mouse cursor but it doesn't accept any inputs or show anything.

So, it always hangs for a while when I start the game. But on the occasion, it also crashes. I, fortunately, can start the game otherwise.

That being said, speaking about the performance issues and bugs, I just had the second Dragon simply disappear for good on me. I got so fucking good at the Dragon battles and love them, but something just happens and they disappear permanently, without me getting a kill or so attributed either. Reloading game and so does nothing.

You know how they respawn at their original location if they get too far away? Well, for me, in two instances, they were in the right location and disappeared forever anyway.

I'm a fool. I even said it myself, that I should just wait and enjoy the game weeks or months later with the most egregious performance issues and bugs completed. But no, after the amazing reviews, wanting to be part of the zeitgeist, and not wanting to have do the spoiler-dance I started playing anyways. And it's an amazing game, still, but could be that much better without all this crap.

PowerK

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Patch 1.02.2 for PC and PS5 available now.

PC:
💠Fixed an issue where the graphics card was not being used, resulting in slow performance.
💠Fixed a bug that caused the game to quit under certain conditions during a battle with the Fire Giant.
💠Fixed other bugs.

PS5:
💠Changes to save game progression even when the game is not terminated.

Source: https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1498868165404598276

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Every 10-20 minutes, crash. Pretty unplayable. Then it will stop for like 2 hours, then back to crashing every few minutes.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I suspect

Fixed an issue where the graphics card was not being used, resulting in slow performance.

was people's graphics card downclocking while in game due to under utilisation. If you've already set your PC's power options to max or had disabled underclock/curving I would think that you won't see any improvement.

For everyone else though, I imagine things will pick up a bit.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
How do you use specialk to unlock the frame rate? I launch the the gamebwith the new dll and the tv switch from 120hz to 60hz.... Frame rate in the special k ui says unlocked though, gsync says unknown.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i'm so fucking pissed right now fuck off. why me, what arcane hardware config is making it so something that was running almost perfectly before is no just stuck, can't even get to title menu. EXE is taking up 14.4% of CPU, so it's doing something back there but what the fuck is it and why is it affecting me.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
After the new patch, I tried it with no mods or tweaks and.....it seems largely the same. Lots of stutters.

However, that staircase by the tree near the beginning no longer results in crippling pauses for me. The tree sentinel caused some stutters, but not pauses and lurching.

After that, I quit the game and tried this registry hack for AMD's Shader cache:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001\UMD

With the UMD folder highlighted, look for "ShaderCache".

open it and I changed it to "32 00".

31 00 = Amd Optimized
30 00= Off
32 00= Shader Cache on

And wow, large differnce. There are still some small stutters here and there. But there aren't super frequent stutters or stutters upon stutters, so far.

I returned to the same registry location, I saw a setting for antistutter. I changed it to 32 00. I thiiiiiink it may have helped even a little bit more.

Either way, this is way playable now. But we'll how it goes when I fight a boss or two.

bloodstains are also working now

*P.S. the location of UMD may be slightly different, if you have a different GPU than I do. I have an RX 6600 XT. I got that registry location from a reddit post. And they said "UMD" is in a folder called "0000". But I found it in "0001".

Last edited:

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Seems much improved. I'd be curious what graphics cards are seeing improvement. I have a 9700K/3070 and in the 10 minutes i ran around it seemed playable to me. I did switch to ps4onps5 but i might make a new character and at least give it a shot on pc. I'm only ~6 hours in on ps5

I don't think i was hitting an even 60 fps, but with gsync it was workable. I pretty much quit in disgust on pc and never came back when i fought tree sentinel the first time. Fighting him again still had some frame drops but doable.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
The new patch really doesn't like overlays, I turned on the Radeon overlay and the framerate tanked completely. Restarted without it and it seems pretty smooth.

Sep 21, 2019
Tested the worst areas, and the improvement is very, very noticeable for me. I have an i9-9900k overclocked to 5.0, a 3090 overclocked, and 32 gb RAM.

The steps near the tree in the dungeon at the very beginning no longer stutter at all. The area around the Tree Sentinel as well as the fight itself had no really noticeable pauses or stutters (always happened before latest patch).

The three bat things getting attacked while I'm on horseback behind the first step/Tree Sentinel area where the dragon spawns had no stutters or weird hitching (was 100% of the time before).

Horseback through the soldier camp and up the hill no slowdown even with fast speed and combat.

No slowdown with two troll carriage on horseback while killing all enemies (100% stutter every time before).

Still slight stutter near shack on Storm Hill but much improved. This was the only area I noticed slight issues.

I also rode all around East Limgrave in rain, sun, and at night. No stuttering except for Stormhill shack.

I'm also running Special K and have framerate unlocked on gsync LG C9, but I was getting noticeable stutters in these areas and sometimes on horseback as well.

Again, significant improvement for my system.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. Hasn't crashed once for me.
Reddit has a few people like me as well. My guess: I think it's related to usb connectivity and devices polling, as in, it's one of those extremely hyper sensitive games that breaks the moment something polls weird or turns on and off. My thinking is because if I unplug my mic or turn off my controller, it hard freezes. So something related to that I guess.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Zero performance gains for me. The only actual change seems to be the game struggles to even load to anything other than a black screen now, start up on the eac/er logo takes longer now too

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Seems much improved. I'd be curious what graphics cards are seeing improvement. I have a 9700K/3070 and in the 10 minutes i ran around it seemed playable to me. I did switch to ps4onps5 but i might make a new character and at least give it a shot on pc. I'm only ~6 hours in on ps5

I don't think i was hitting an even 60 fps, but with gsync it was workable. I pretty much quit in disgust on pc and never came back when i fought tree sentinel the first time. Fighting him again still had some frame drops but doable.
I haven't tried the patch yet, but I found that the framerate was a lot more stable if you pull tree sentinel a little closer to the bonfire before fighting him. I fought him in the area under the bonfire and the NPC there.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
well im reinstalling the game now, let's see if this does anything.

Tried:
Reinstalling latest GeForce drivers
Updating Epic Launcher + Epic Online Services
Uninstalling Epic Luancher + Epic Online Services
Disabling Steam overlay + Discord Overlay
Setting High Performance priority in Microsoft
Setting High power mode in NVIDIA control panel
adding -windowed to launcher

13 mbs of despair