doops.

Jun 3, 2020

Elden Ring's Shadow of the Erdtree DLC will be the RPG's only expansion, but developer FromSoftware isn't ruling out other full games in The Lands Between.
In a new interview with Chinese outlet Campfire Camp, Elden Ring game director and FromSoftware studio head Hidetaka Miyazaki commented on the possibility of other DLC entries for Elden Ring. FromSoftware does have a history of multiple DLC offerings for their games, with Dark Souls 3 receiving two full expansions, for example.

However, Miyazaki says that Shadow of the Erdtree will be the first, and last, Elden Ring DLC. The 2022 game won't be receiving any further DLC after Shadow of the Erdtree launches next month on June 21, so this next journey into The Lands Between might well be the final story FromSoftware tells in the Elden Ring world, for now at least.
That's because Miyazaki isn't ruling out another full Elden Ring game. The director says that FromSoftware's style of making and developing games naturally leaves the door open to another game set within Elden Ring's world, although Miyazaki obviously stops short of confirming that there definitely would be another Elden Ring game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, good. Games getting several years of extremely delayed paid DLC expansions usually just results in the fanbase drifting away and only a tiny slice of people actually coming back to experience said DLC. Do as much as you can in one go and then move on.

I don't need Elden Ring 2 any time soon, personally, but I'm sure that it'll happen eventually.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I mean yeah it took them two years to make this one. Not surprised on either front here.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah, makes sense

A sequel seems very possible, though I wonder if we get it anytime soon. Elden Ring 2 is the kind of game you could announce a decade from now and still have people going crazy over it

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what the reaction will be if a sequel pulls a Tears of the Kingdom and reuses most of the first game's world (but with some new stuff too obviously). I wouldn't mind honestly

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. The DLC seems to be pretty large. May as well combine a couple of those into a full game with new systems

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
TBH my theory is that they've been working on ER2 in tandem with the DLC. I imagine they don't want another 6-7 year wait for another one.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
Works for me. Bloodborne got 1 DLC and became the greatest game of all time.

And there is no way there won't be an Elden Ring 2. Eld2n Ring$.

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
I would literally die of happyness if Elden Ring 2 is announced (or Sekiro 2 or Bloodborne 2 lol)

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I think he made the same kind of statment about Elden Ring a bit ago, which was the same kind of statement in regards to Dark Souls 4.
That is, if someone else in the company steps up to do a sequel like Dark Souls 4 or Elden Ring 2, they are free to do so if they got the ideas to do so.
I got the impression Miyazaki will do his own thing and leave any of these sequels to any ambitious dev who's got the passion to do so. I think most of the up and coming talent there is on the boat of doing new stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
*Miyazaki writes Elden Ring on a whiteboard and then a big "S" before putting 2 lines through to make a dollar sign*

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not popular, but I'd be ok with FS becoming a full-fledged ER factory. Game, DLC, DLC, Game, etc. until I die.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
Wonder what the reaction will be if a sequel pulls a Tears of the Kingdom and reuses most of the first game's world (but with some new stuff too obviously). I wouldn't mind honestly
Elden Ring 1 already uses too much of Elden Rings World. Honestly even everyone that has loved the game that i've talked to was kinda sick of the open world by the time they got the the last zone.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That would make no sense. It worked in TotK because the game's a sandbox that introduced different tools to create a different gameplay experience from BotW. Elden Ring 2 can't be as radically different as TotK because people want and expect another Souls game.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
I think he made the same kind of statment about Elden Ring a bit ago, which was the same kind of statement in regards to Dark Souls 4.
That is, if someone else in the company steps up to do a sequel like Dark Souls 4 or Elden Ring 2, they are free to do so if they got the ideas to do so.
I got the impression Miyazaki will do his own thing and leave any of these sequels to any ambitious dev who's got the passion to do so. I think most of the up and coming talent there is on the boat of doing new stuff.
pretty much what I think. if there's ever an ER 2, it's going to be with other devs in From and it might take a while

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like it'll be a massive expansion, and we'll be happily playing ER for years to come anyway.

I don't see them releasing another major ARPG on the scale of Elden Ring until 2028-2030. I'd much rather them focus on creating new IP, which is probably what they'll do this gen. FromSoftware can really call their own shots now, hyped to see what's next.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
I would prefer sequels to Sekiro or Bloodborne, as Elden Ring is already Demon's Souls 5 for me when it comes to gameplay and aesthetics. AC7 would be great too. I will play anything FromSoftware anyway.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't even make sense to do another DLC/expansion given how much time Erdtree is taking to develop. Might as well just move on to a sequel if you're going to start making more Elden Ring content.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
As long as they keep exploring new ideas with new IP, they can have a couple sequels on the side as a treat.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Makes sense that they'd rather turn their development attention to an entirely new game after this DLC.

Nov 13, 2017
DS1 only got 1, DS2 got 3 (even after saying they had no plans for DLC before launch), Bloodborne was supposed to have 2, they combined it into one. DS3's first DLC was pretty underwhelming, but Ringed City was awesome. Sekiro never got one, outside the boss rush.

I never expected more than one DLC for Elden Ring, especially considering how long it's taken.

There's not really a solid precedent for From doing more than one DLC in a game. It's happened, but it's certainly not the norm.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they changed the setting for the next one.

I don't mind if it plays exactly the same, I just want something new to get lost in, you know? Something totally different.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
A sequel where the canonical ending of the first game has devastating consequences on the world forcing a brave few to retaliate against your tyranny is an interesting premise. Your character would be attempting to undo what you accomplished in the first game.
From has done this before in a way, where a boss is either another player or version of a previous character you played as, right?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring 1 already uses too much of Elden Rings World. Honestly even everyone that has loved the game that i've talked to was kinda sick of the open world by the time they got the the last zone.

I wasn't sick of it, but also didn't scrape for content. I think its like any other open world game where you're going to get tired of what it has to offer the closer you get to 100 percenting it. At the same time Elden Ring while it did have a lot of reused enemies etc, still had far more overall unique level design and enemy types (Unique encounters and challenges) than any other Open World game I can think of, at least at this kind of massive scale.

They're now in the position of being able to build from this, expand on what worked and change the parts that didn't work as well. They clearly are interested in how the wider audience perceives their games considering some of the choices in this game making it more accessible than before.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
It sold 20+ million. And it's probably well over that, by now.

Of course they are going to make a sequel.