Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see a sequel with (hopefully) some lessons learned from the first game, but at the same time, I'm dying for a new setting.

Dark Souls -> Dark Souls 2 -> Dark Souls 3 -> Elden Ring all feel way too similar to each other in terms of setting and tone (you could throw Demon's Souls in there too, though I think it does just enough to differentiate itself).

I get that means a lot of assets can be reused which brings down costs and dev time, but it's starting to feel really old.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
After a 2 year wait only 1 DLC is disappointing to hear

Keep in mind I am very greedy and want literally as much Elden Ring as possible (that isnt copy/ paste)

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
The way FROM has 3 possible "hit the alarm" button games if they ever run into financial troubles:

Elden Ring 2
Bloodborne 2
Dark Souls 4

I'm sure they'll continue doing whatever their hearts desire and I love that for them

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any games at all in the history of this medium that sold 20 million copies and didn't receive a sequel?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
*sells 5 billion copies of a game*

"we might make a sequel, i dunno we'll see 😏"

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
449.gifv

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
I'm okay with that.

Here's hoping they go back to their roots on designing a beautiful interconnected world they've grown famous for in their next endeavor.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Give me Elden Ring 2, but like also... give me Bloodborne 2. Like, just do it and take my money.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't matter. The next game "by FromSoft and Hidetaka Miyazaki" is gonna sell guaranteed several millions anyway. Tens of them, if it's a quality souls-like. Doesn't even matter if FromSoft and Miyazaki don't mean much to many casual players. The fans will let 'em all know what that stands for. Just as was the case with Elden Ring.

It's one of the strongest brands. If they don't want to work on the same IP continuosly they don't need to. And Miyazaki is president of the company, he'll do what he want, knowing that it's not some financially unwise move, that would threaten the company or its ability to keep their employees, anyway.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
"Not ruling out a sequel" -> It will never happen. This is what Miyazaki said about Dark Souls too, please don't hold your breath.

Nah, i hope they move on to something else.
And don't think i want another open world From game.
Exactly

This is not how From operates. Read any Miyazaki interview addressing this question.

Jun 24, 2019
Elden Ring is grand as it is, so preferably no.

But if a sequel happens please release it in 8-12 years, From Software are at their best when they make fresh new IPs or sequel/reboot for old franchises (Armored Core, King's Field).

The magic of exploring cannot be replicated if we visited the Lands Between again and again. The hypothetical sequel could be set in the Badlands or Land of Reeds (so many lands ha ha), but what conflict is there to be had? Would GRRM be willing to write another pantheon? Would they introduce new mechanics? A flying mount would be cool..

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
From tends to tease what their next game is going to be in dlc so I'm looking forward to what people discover in Erdtree.

Metro Cow

Nov 28, 2020
I fully expect this expansion to be the same size as 3 or 4 smaller DLCs all put together anyway, can't wait for it.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I fully expect this expansion to be the same size as 3 or 4 smaller DLCs all put together anyway, can't wait for it.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the new area is Limgrave-sized, and we're getting tons of new stuff regarding bosses, dungeons, new weapons / styles, aow, and other stuff. So yeah, pretty much.

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any games at all in the history of this medium that sold 20 million copies and didn't receive a sequel?

Baldur's Gate 3 at one point, probably.

Similarly, Miyazaki isn't interested in doing the same thing for the rest of his life. He's very specifically showing that he can keep making new interesting stuff and it will be successful. If Elden Ring was Dark Souls 6, it would be very hard to argue that the next game shouldn't be Dark Souls 7. Instead, he made his fourth successful franchise in a row (sadly ignoring Deracine like all you bastards did), and it will be rather easy to convince the money people to make a fifth.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Miyazaki will keep doing his own thing, and with the recent expansion into new studio space and practically a new department of new hires, i think they want to be up to the task of making at least more than one Elden Ring sized game at the same time. He got dreams about an Escaflowne inspired game and some else can direct Elden Ring 2 because getting Martin to write something for you is some crazy shit. A Miyazaki-less sequel will have to convince some folks that it's worthwhile, they always at least mention Miyazaki in some kind of role even when he's not directing to give fans a vote of confidence, or some folks will go off about B-teams again. With the turn around on DS2 opinions though, i think it'll do fine whatever it is they do.
They haven't buckled to trends yet and done a battle royal or an anime ship girl game like they joked about when Kadokawa aquired them, so they seem to hold on to their ideals.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Baldur's Gate 3 at one point, probably.

Similarly, Miyazaki isn't interested in doing the same thing for the rest of his life. He's very specifically showing that he can keep making new interesting stuff and it will be successful. If Elden Ring was Dark Souls 6, it would be very hard to argue that the next game shouldn't be Dark Souls 7. Instead, he made his fourth successful franchise in a row (sadly ignoring Deracine like all you bastards did), and it will be rather easy to convince the money people to make a fifth.

Oh yeah, there's series that bowed out on a high. But original IPs being that successful with no sequels I don't know of any.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
Stop the presses! Who would have ever thought Fomsoft would make sequel? The game has only sold a measly 23 Million copies so far.

I really just hope they are taking all that cheddar and have been investing in a new engine (or are just adopting UE5). The amount of technical debt in the current one has to be massive at this point. AC6 shows they are still making improvements, but that game should run way better for the graphical fidelity it's pushing, not too sure how much they can squeeze out of it at this point. Anything is possible however.

Also, Elden Ring could have been called Dark Souls 4 and no one would have bat an eye. Even if Elden Ring 2 is called something else, it's all been "Souls" since Demons Souls came out, as far as the game DNA is concerned. Slight changes to the formula and title schemes aren't fooling me, haha, long as they keep making them I'll keep buying them.

Miyazaki certainly will have less hands on time with each game FromSoft makes as they continue to grow as a company as well. Even if he's tired of the Souls formula, they're no way they aren't going to keep making them along side whatever else they are cooking up.

Last edited:

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I want a spiritual sequel like Elden Ring was to Dark Souls and not Elden Ring 2 honestly.
I want similar gameplay but a drastically different setting. Even DS3 to Elden Ring was way to close, in terms of setting and vibe.

I want to see from take a swing an new direction, with regards to setting.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Elden Ring is 3 Souls games in one and Shadow of the Erdtree is likely going to be as big as 3 Souls dlc's. That's tons of ER content.
I absolutely love ER, but also hope From do something else next. They won't give up on Souls, but new setting and brand new mechanics to their formula should be in.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Can't wait for Elden Toe Ring, where you stand against the Two Toes.