Oct 27, 2017
I've read the discussion on the previous page about reviews, can anyone point to a fair review that actually tackles the good and bad parts of the game in a reasonable manner, beyond just declaring it too difficult?

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, just have to get to their base and do their quests. Getting there can be the hard part, it's on the opposite end of the map.

To get there quick there are two options:
1. Get to Abessa, the teleporter there automatically unlocks the teleporter to the base, or 2. Find a recruiter of the clerics (forgot what his name was), he'll abduct you.

Oh boy, I have a feeling this will be fun knowing how hard this game is in the beginning if you run into tougher enemies :)

Thanks for all the information everyone!

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Had my first ugly crash on PS4 and that with 5+ viewers on Twitch! I'm outraged (well not so much) and hope this won't happen to often. Which reminds me: There was no patch for PS4 since 1.01 (and I think that was the Day-1) so where are my bugfixes PB?!!?

KLonso

Oct 27, 2017
Is the twitch prime deal not up anymore? I just connected my amazon prime to my twitch account (changed location to UK too) but I'm not seeing any sale

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Had my first ugly crash on PS4 and that with 5+ viewers on Twitch! I'm outraged (well not so much) and hope this won't happen to often. Which reminds me: There was no patch for PS4 since 1.01 (and I think that was the Day-1) so where are my bugfixes PB?!!?
Hopefully in the week. I think patch releases are rare at weekends on console, and as it's console it will need a pass from Sony before it gets out there.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
I have had my eyes on this game for a while now but at 60 dollars? Meh -- not sure it's really worth it. I'll wait for price drop really. :-/

Last edited:

Dangle

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought this game based off this thread alone. You tell me an action rpg has meaningful exploration, a tightly wound economy, and no level/enemy scaling, and I'm pretty much sold. Absolutely love the sense of danger of going far off the beaten path in an open world, knowing that a few wrong moves could mean death and finding some new gear or item that was worth your while.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've read the discussion on the previous page about reviews, can anyone point to a fair review that actually tackles the good and bad parts of the game in a reasonable manner, beyond just declaring it too difficult?

I thought the Eurogamer review was pretty fair and got me interested in the game, as someone who knew little about it before. Felt like the reviewer gave it a fair shot. I couldn't make it past the first 2 sneering paragraphs of the RPS article.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people say combat is bad, I need a frame of reference.

Is it worse than Gothic?

Is it worse than Elder Scrolls? I refuse to believe that's possible

witty_mittie3

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I think I can help.

I experienced the same issue. Try zooming in and out of the map. If that doesn't work then I suggest you close the program and reload it. For me, ELEX seems to get choppy, particularly the map, when you suspend and resume the PS4 without exiting the game completely.

Hope it works!

just zoom in, then you'll be able to move the cursor further to the right and over the teleporter. it's a problem with how the map works and its visible boundaries.

Thanks you guys! Gonna try it when I hop on later today!

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
From Reddit. A list of useful items you can get for free.

I found the most useful and must have items the following:

1. Detect Loot Sunglasses. Can see loot through buildings, up and down. Invaluable for the loot whore.
2. Flamethrower MK 2. Changed the game for me. Went from hitting like a wet noodle to killing Trolls. Low equip requirements so you can get this early.

Most of these will require running and grabbing through more powerful monsters, but that's part of the fun!

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

1. Detect Loot Sunglasses. Can see loot through buildings, up and down. Invaluable for the loot whore.
2. Flamethrower MK 2. Changed the game for me. Went from hitting like a wet noodle to killing Trolls. Low equip requirements so you can get this early.

Most of these will require running and grabbing through more powerful monsters, but that's part of the fun!
Seems to be a solid list. Will go hunting tonight.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for that!

Another question: can you quick save on pc or is it auto saving only?

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I can't wait to play it again later.
It's been a while since I've played a game that occupies my mind when I'm not playing it.

I've been exploring down south on the map and doing ok, quick saving all the time!

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see people enjoying the game.

I have this on my list to pick up later on. Hell, might be sooner than I anticipated just by going off some posts in this thread.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I have a passing interest in this (played a lot of those "eurojank" games in the past and enjoyed Gothic quite a bit), but there are so many games to play right now. I will keep tabs on impressions and circle back to it after the new year.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'll get this at some point because I have played my share of Euro-jank RPG's. Hopefully it gets patched by then because I heard the game is quite buggy?

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll get this at some point because I have played my share of Euro-jank RPG's. Hopefully it gets patched by then because I heard the game is quite buggy?
Not really. It had a few bugs at release, but the game recieved a patch a couple of days ago. I'm almost 50 hours in and am happy in that regard.

KnightSword

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really glad that people are enjoying the game. Haven't played it yet, but it does seems very interesting. Might pick this up when it hits 20€.

What's the combat like?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
When people say combat is bad, I need a frame of reference.

Is it worse than Gothic?

Is it worse than Elder Scrolls? I refuse to believe that's possible
From video I've seen it definitely looks better than The Elder Scrolls at least. The main issues seem to be that it looks like they put more effort into playing out their animations than being responsive and that the attacks don't really connect convincingly. The ACG review was saying that enemies don't consistently react to being hit.

Oct 25, 2017
I caved and picked this up the other day.

About 10 hours in, and loving the world, despite getting annihilated by 90% of the enemies I encounter.

Aurelio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed Risen 3. That was my only experience with their games so I'm looking forward to playing this.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
If only it wasn't so difficult. I liked Risen 2, and also 3 (but not as much), so this one caught my eye. The library actually has it for pick up for me, as I held it.

But the time sink and the apparently high difficulty has me thinking otherwise, because I'm not into super hard games.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
But the time sink and the apparently high difficulty has me thinking otherwise, because I'm not into super hard games.

You can set a lower difficulty. The settings are more elaborate than just a "Easy, Normal, Hard", you can change enemy behaviour, damage you and they do, how fast your combo meter fills up and things like aiming assist and lock on.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
If only it wasn't so difficult. I liked Risen 2, and also 3 (but not as much), so this one caught my eye. The library actually has it for pick up for me, as I held it.

Its not that difficult if you avoid killing enemies.
I played around 10 hours on normal and i don't die all that much. just avoiding strong enemies via sprinting or jetpack.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Its not that difficult if you avoid killing enemies.
I played around 10 hours on normal and i don't die all that much. just avoiding strong enemies via sprinting or jetpack.

How do recognize strong enemies in this game? Do they have a red skull next to their name or something like that?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
How do recognize strong enemies in this game? Do they have a red skull next to their name or something like that?

yes, skulls are for enemies much stronger than you.
weak enemies usually have a prefix like "weak", "old" or "young", there are no prefixes for stronger or normal enemies.
you are not expected to fight normal enemies until you are level 10 to 15 and/or have joined a faction. and even then, only one at a time.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
yes, skulls are for enemies much stronger than you.
weak enemies usually have a prefix like "weak", "old" or "young", there are no prefixes for stronger or normal enemies.
you are not expected to fight normal enemies until you are level 10 to 15 and/or have joined a faction. and even then, only one at a time.

That's a really interesting approach. Usually in rpg's you HAVE TO fight from the get-go so you can level up etc. Here seems like you have to actively avoid enemies and find other ways to become stronger. Almost like you have to be really smart and creative in the first let's say 10h. This game could be a breath of fresh air,cool :)

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, almost every sidequests in my log is complete. Im sure there are a few random ones around the map I haven't found yet, but every city is basically complete. Guess it's time that main story now that I'm a god.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
How long can you put off joining a faction, because I assume once you join a faction, you're barred from the other cities? Right now I'm trying to do all the side quests in all the cities which is why I ask.

2nd question:
I assume the Claws do not count as a faction, in that you can join the Claws AND one of the other three.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
How long can you put off joining a faction, because I assume once you join a faction, you're barred from the other cities? Right now I'm trying to do all the side quests in all the cities which is why I ask.
I thought the same but it's not true.
Aside from not being able to complete the overarching quest to join a faction, I found you can still complete all the lead up quests that build up to joining. You aren't restricted inside any city and get some unique dialog/responses/quest progression options in each city as I learned from doing everything in the outcast city long after I joined the clerics. You get a ton of xp and access to the new tree and aren't barred from much of anything as far as I can see so holding off joining is not something I recommend.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the same but it's not true.
Aside from not being able to complete the overarching quest to join a faction, I found you can still complete all the lead up quests that build up to joining. You aren't restricted inside any city and get some unique dialog/responses/quest progression options in each city as I learned from doing everything in the outcast city long after I joined the clerics. You get a ton of xp and access to the new tree and aren't barred from much of anything as far as I can see so holding off joining is not something I recommend.

Cool. Off to join the Clerics then!