shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's probably hard to answer but how big is the map? Is it comparable to any other open world map?

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Currently level 7. Spoke to a woman called Caja in Abessa and somehow convinced her to join me. She immediately took me to a place with some elex where I was inta-killed by some mutants. Brilliant!

Oct 27, 2017
So I stumbled into chapter 2, anyone know if there are any missable quests or anything that should be done while still in the first chapter?

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Not me - I'm off to join the Outlaws. Currently making life hard for the Clerics in the Domed City.

*fist bump*

I did the same thing, I loved fucking around with the clerics at the domed city in anticipation of joining up with the outlaws soon after

Personally, I think the outlaw quests are the most entertaining, there is one in particular involving a gentlemen named Rat that rivals anything that came out of witcher 3 (imo of course)

This is one of the few games where I actually listen and go through all the dialog without skipping. I think the voices are decent to good, animation is terrible, story is intriguing. After while you'll notice the same voice actors on multiple characters.

Last night I found an insane energy rifle in an abandoned refinery or factory, guarded by a cyborg. He was tough but getting this rifle has made me godlike. Mortal Beam or something, like 110 damage.

Clydefrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hawaii
Currently conquering Tavar and I found a Gothic 2 callback!

Jack and his lighthouse :D this old fool is always surrounded by bandits/reavers

Clydefrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hawaii
29 Hours in and I'm finally overpowered. I modified my energy sword twice and can easily take down mech-warriors.

Now I can cheese everything

Maybe I'll finally join the Berserkers

73B2D8937AD6A06B78CAAEF39845F914D2BBF8DF

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I could wear a helmet in this game, but sunglasses that highlight items are so good there's no way I'd ever NOT wear them. If only armor pieces could've been put on hotbar as well then I would've been able to at least swap between them.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
First post on ResetEra and it'll be about ELEX.

Got it on Saturday and maaan that game is amazing. It's fuckin hard, i got killed every 10 minutes and can't go outside without a companion following me.
Quest-Design is amazing, Story is interesting and boyy the world is amazing to explore!

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I watched IGNs review where they called it a broken mess and slapped a 4/10 on it. Times like this I wish there was a demo.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I watched IGNs review where they called it a broken mess and slapped a 4/10 on it. Times like this I wish there was a demo.

A demo really wouldn't be possible. Pretty similar to Skyrim, it's nearly impossible to create a demo of an Open World title without taking away 90% of what makes the game amazing.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A demo really wouldn't be possible. Pretty similar to Skyrim, it's nearly impossible to create a demo of an Open World title without taking away 90% of what makes the game amazing.
The combat and glitches/technical aspects are the concern. Dragons Dogma and Kingdom of Amalur had pretty good demos...

plow

Oct 28, 2017
The combat and glitches/technical aspects are the concern. Dragons Dogma and Kingdom of Amalur had pretty good demos...

Yes, but both of them had Dungeons/Narrow paths big enough for a demo. DD was pretty much semi-open world with a lot of corridors. While Kingdoms of Amalur is as Open world as it can get, the starting dungeon is pretty linear and can only be finished in one way. In Elex you basically can do what you want from the first minute, pretty much like you did in Morrowind (Not even Skyrim or Oblivion had that kind of freedom from minute one).

But to reassure you i'm 5 hours in, playing on an OG PS4 and have yet to encounter game breaking glitches or bugs. Sure the game has it's technical weaknesses, and the AI sometimes doesn't react, but it's really nothing to worry about.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but both of them had Dungeons/Narrow paths big enough for a demo. DD was pretty much semi-open world with a lot of corridors. While Kingdoms of Amalur is as Open world as it can get, the starting dungeon is pretty linear and can only be finished in one way. In Elex you basically can do what you want from the first minute, pretty much like you did in Morrowind (Not even Skyrim or Oblivion had that kind of freedom from minute one).

But to reassure you i'm 5 hours in, playing on an OG PS4 and have yet to encounter game breaking glitches or bugs. Sure the game has it's technical weaknesses, and the AI sometimes doesn't react, but it's really nothing to worry about.
Yeah...the setting, story and voice acting are drawing me, but combat looks rough. I just really want to test it. Will look more into it for now.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I've put about 20 hours into this game and it's extremely fun. The world is gigantic; I don't know how my OCD self is going to be able to check every nook and cranny for hidden goods.

Besides the minor bugs and jank, I don't like how long it takes to raise my attributes (str, dex, etc). I'm level 15 and can still only wield a one-handed basic axe. I think some of the stat requirements for things may be too high.
You can essentially buy attribute and skill points. All you need is the recipe for the Elex potion, lots of money, and a willingness to sell your soul for power.

Is it a standard 1 attribute point per 1 level?
10 Attribute points and 1 skill point per level. Attributes cost more to level up the higher they are.

10-31 costs 1 point, 31-61 costs 2, 61-91 costs 5, and 91-100 costs 10.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017

The combat is average to bad as always with their games, it's just working. One of the weaknesses. I don't get IGNs technical concerns though, it's literally the most stable game they ever released, at least on PC. The only bugs I had was a minor map bug that sorted itself after restarting, and getting stuck on a bed after sleeping, which was resolved after quickloading. Nothing else, no notable framedrops or something.

Are you playing on PS4 or PC? On PC you could at least try the game on Steam for two hours and give it back if the combat puts you off.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
You can essentially buy attribute and skill points. All you need is the recipe for the Elex potion, lots of money, and a willingness to sell your soul for power.

10 Attribute points and 1 skill point per level. Attributes cost more to level up the higher they are.

10-31 costs 1 point, 31-61 costs 2, 61-91 costs 5, and 91-100 costs 10.

Thank you!

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Reading on other forums, a lot of people claim that the attributes have basically no impact on damage/hp. I'm only lvl 8 so i can't say anything about that, but for now it really looks like it has very small impact.
PD Björn Pankratz said in an interview, that they do have an impact but a much smaller one than their previous games. Basically the damage/hp etc. stats only really change through gear and weapons, so finding a good weapon
is better than lvling up.

Oct 26, 2017
Somehow missed this thread and posted to the other one from last week..

Have about 7ish hours in now (level 6 iirc), still needing to run like hell from mobs both giant and human size alike.

I was excited to upgrade some of my junk weapons...only to find out the requirements went up to unusable levels. Guess I should have read the option more closely...oh well. Moved from the starting area over to the Eastern desert part of the map for some more exploration and scavenging, heading to the city there.

What level are people finding themselves better able to survive encounters? I can't handle much more than a small biter or rat at this point without cheesing with arrows up on higher terrain.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading on other forums, a lot of people claim that the attributes have basically no impact on damage/hp. I'm only lvl 8 so i can't say anything about that, but for now it really looks like it has very small impact.
PD Björn Pankratz said in an interview, that they do have an impact but a much smaller one than their previous games. Basically the damage/hp etc. stats only really change through gear and weapons, so finding a good weapon
is better than lvling up.
I mean, you need to level up to have enough attribute points to wield said weapons.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...the setting, story and voice acting are drawing me, but combat looks rough. I just really want to test it. Will look more into it for now.
It takes some getting used to - it's janky and frustrating, but it does have a sort of rhythm to it.

I'm on PS4. Annoyances for me are the 3 to 4s pause when opening the menu, the fact that O doesn't back out of the options menu and worst of all, the cursor for navigating around the map is really sticky and hard to move sometimes. Other than that I'm enjoying it a lot (7 hours in, still getting killed by most things I encounter)

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Have about 7ish hours in now (level 6 iirc), still needing to run like hell from mobs both giant and human size alike.

I was excited to upgrade some of my junk weapons...only to find out the requirements went up to unusable levels. Guess I should have read the option more closely...oh well. Moved from the starting area over to the Eastern desert part of the map for some more exploration and scavenging, heading to the city there.

What level are people finding themselves better able to survive encounters? I can't handle much more than a small biter or rat at this point without cheesing with arrows up on higher terrain.

I posted a list of easy to get items earlier in the thread. If you have having issues, try to get the Flamethrower. It has low equip requirements and also has a nice knockback that keeps enemies far away.

sawatsu

Oct 29, 2017
I would've gotten Elex already, if not for Origins. Looks super fun and the reception from the players is also far better than the reviews suggest. Would play with German language too ;)

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017

I had the opportunity to play this first on the OG ps4 then on the ps4 pro (purchased one last weekend)

It was serviceable on the OG, I think it is pretty universal that the menu delay gets worse the longer session you play. If you restart the game it'll go back to a 1-2 second delay. Framerate on the pro is solid, very smooth with some stuttering in the cities. OG ps4 was more around 30fps.

You won't start feeling comfortable until you upgrade a weapon and/or are able to equip something with ~40 damage. Make sure you upgrade your combat melee/ranged/heavy because it makes a difference. I would also join a faction so you can get better armor. Once you hit the second tier of faction armor you'll feel much better.

I am lvl 32 and have clocked a little more than 40 hours so far. I have captain armor for the outlaws with a fully upgraded outlaw double handed axe w/ bleed (94 dmg) and a legendary energy rifle (109 dmg) and I am pretty much unstoppable, even to large enemies. I can take down a mech in 3 shots from my rifle.

silver moose

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I didn't expect this game to be anything but jank on jank in jank.
I'm a bit surprised to see it garner this kind of attention among the community.

I'm not convinced enough to jump in at full price, but, thanks to this thread and some of the streams/videos I've seen because of it, I think I'll give it a go on sale, why not.

shoplifter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not convinced enough to jump in at full price, but, thanks to this thread and some of the streams/videos I've seen because of it, I think I'll give it a go on sale, why not.

I picked it up as part of the target sale, so I'm probably overpaying a little bit over what I could at Christmas. Haven't played it yet, but I'm sure there's a bit of jank, it's to be expected in any Piranha Bytes game. Kind of like we knew what to expect out of the older From games like King's Field and Shadow Tower.

silver moose

Oct 27, 2017
I picked it up as part of the target sale, so I'm probably overpaying a little bit over what I could at Christmas. Haven't played it yet, but I'm sure there's a bit of jank, it's to be expected in any Piranha Bytes game. Kind of like we knew what to expect out of the older From games like King's Field and Shadow Tower.

Yeah, between this and the thread about not dismissing AC: Origins - I'm on the struggle bus to target later, I'd almost guarantee it.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
it's 1.5 the size of gothic 3 and Piranha Bytes biggest game by far, that's the official information.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Moff
Reposting and hoping to receive more of your wisdom :)
The talk is that it's Skyrim sized, and it certainly feels around that big to me. More importantly the hand crafted world feels so much more alive and packed with places to explore and items and loot to find. The game is literally packed to the gills with stuff - plates, cups, toilet rolls, brooms - all over the place. But with no inventory limit and money being super important to skilling up. Even this junk feels satisfying to collect and sell. Oh and steal. Ransacking homes never felt so good.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
The talk is that it's Skyrim sized, and it certainly feels around that big to me. More importantly the hand crafted world feels so much more alive and packed with places to explore and items and loot to find. The game is literally packed to the gills with stuff - plates, cups, toilet rolls, brooms - all over the place. But with no inventory limit and money being super important to skilling up. Even this junk feels satisfying to collect and sell. Oh and steal. Ransacking homes never felt so good.
No inventory limit? This just keeps getting better and better :)

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Last night I found an insane energy rifle in an abandoned refinery or factory, guarded by a cyborg. He was tough but getting this rifle has made me godlike. Mortal Beam or something, like 110 damage.

Is stuff like this random or are some weapons in fixed locations and you can get them if you can survive?

nooknook

Oct 29, 2017
Have patches come out to fix any of the major problems?
I've been wanting to play this. If I have the before Monster Hunter is released I'll get it.