Dec 13, 2018
1. The core gameplay leans heavily towards "sim". You have a high degree of control over many aspects of your ship, including power diversion, landing gear, cool running, headlights, flight assist controls, etc. The flight model is quite nuanced and many ships feel unique and powerful in their own way - even more so after engineering them.
It doesn't feel janky at all - in fact everything feels very consistent and bug-free for the most part.

2. Core loop can be anything you choose, but at the very beginning (after tutorials and such) it might be simply: select mission, take off, warp to target system, head to mission target, complete mission. There are many variations on this loop, and while missions help with structure and acquisition early on, you can ignore them completely and just follow your nose; see where each new discovery takes you.

3. I've been playing since the PS4 launch, and the game has seen the addition of Thargoids (hostile alien race), Megaships (essentially player-owned mobile outposts), and several new pilot-able ships to name a few things. Odyssey is expected early next year, which will add first-person on-foot gameplay.

4. No Man's Sky - more arcadey ship controls with survival gameplay on procedurally generated worlds. Has a more focused story path. Very different tone and vibrant colour palette. It actually complements Elite very nicely.
Star Citizen - Haven't played this, but it seems like it incorporates a more "dense" approach. You can only land on a few crafted worlds, but there are many systems at play with one another. It can make for some fascinating conceptual content, but is very buggy as a result.
Thank you!

1. Sweet, I'm super glad to hear this.

2. That sounds fine, but how much time do I need to put in to get to "cool" ships or what ever "good" parts of the game?

4. Playing no man's sky is literally what made me realize I wanted more games set in space

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
2. That sounds fine, but how much time do I need to put in to get to "cool" ships or what ever "good" parts of the game?

Oops, missed that bit from your original post.
It doesn't take very long before you're able to buy new ships and experiment with a bunch of new weapons/modules/etc. And experiment you must! Modules can always be sold at 100% value, while with ships you get back 90% of what you paid.

I'd say you'll have enough for a new ship after a couple of hours of solid play. It may be a matter of days before your bankroll breaks a million, and you can start looking at medium size ships.

As to what the "good" parts of the game are: that's entirely subjective. I have a fleet of 37 ships, billions in assets, and am part of a Player Minor Faction vying for control in a pocket of space, but I still enjoy just doing bombing about in a Viper Mk III doing small-time stuff. In fact, I'm considering starting over or getting a new account so I can start fresh with Odyssey. The feeling of starting out in Elite is unmatched by anything else I've played.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
If you like the look of it, I'd say jump in. The base game will give you plenty to sink your teeth into before Odyssey. (We don't know when exactly in early 2021 it's coming.)
The base game is pretty cheap and currently 75% off on Steam. Also on sale quite regularly on consoles.
At the end of October, all players will have access to the first expansion "Horizons" for free (consolidating the player base for when Odyssey hits), so don't buy that (unless you really want the bonus paint job they're gifting as thanks to people who originally paid for Horizons...)

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
The base game is pretty cheap and currently 75% off on Steam. Also on sale quite regularly on consoles.
At the end of October, all players will have access to the first expansion "Horizons" for free (consolidating the player base for when Odyssey hits), so don't buy that (unless you really want the bonus paint job they're gifting as thanks to people who originally paid for Horizons...)

Horizon is free now I believe? At least I saw the Horizon trailer popping up yesterday in Elite's Youtube channel. So even more second job in space simulator to play for anybody now jumping in.

We got an Oculus Quest 2 now. It'll be a while before the PC setup has been upgraded to be feasible for VR games, but I'll probably fire Elite up once more then. Only to get frustrated by finding a second job simulator rather than a game after a while, but nevertheless, looking forward to experiencing Elite in VR for the first time.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Every time I think of jumping back in I'm just reminded of how slowly these barely connected expansions are shat out by Frontier, meanwhile

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
After being disappointed by the VR performance in Star Wars Squadrons and playing a lot of Microsoft Flight Simulator, I was feeling the itch to jump back into Elite. I played last night and really enjoyed it but I'm contemplating wiping my save and starting fresh.

I'm thinking about it for a number of reasons: this is actually my third CMDR profile, the first one was my beginner start which I wiped a long time ago and my second one got messed up when I transferred from Oculus to Steam. I don't have a TON of progress on it really. I have five ships with varying degrees of upgrades, and only about 10 million credits I made from some brief core mining. I have only unlocked the first engineer, Felicity Farseer.

I also play using a custom control script which is amazing but has a learning curve which is pretty steep for a lapsed player. I think starting over with a Sidewinder and some basic transport missions would really help me get back to basics.

What say you people? Anyone regret wiping their save? Or should I do it?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I think of jumping back in I'm just reminded of how slowly these barely connected expansions are shat out by Frontier, meanwhile

I tried No Man's Sky for a few hours and honestly really didn't enjoy it. It feels like a clunky survival/base-building game in a shell of a "universe".

The on-ground exploration and base building felt clunky and sluggish to me, although I understand they've recently made a lot of UI improvements. Having played Conan: Exiles, Astroneer, Subnautica, and other survival games where building and exploring feel great, it was disappointing.

Flight model is not good. The process of landing your ship or docking in Elite alone is more interesting and enjoyable than flight in No Man's Sky. Asteroid pop-in was VERY bad and I have an X1X. I thought the "seamless" loading between space & orbit flight in Elite was jarring, but No Man's Sky feels like it goes out of its way to remind you you're playing a procedural game sometimes

It feels like their problem is the opposite of Elite's. They have a lot of content, but the core gameplay and mechanics just aren't compelling to me. Keep in mind I have extremely mixed feelings on Elite at this point, as well, and haven't touched it in over a year, I think?

Maybe I'll give NMS another try on PC. I'm just disappointed that there isn't one singularly satisfying "space sim"-style game at this point.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like their problem is the opposite of Elite's. They have a lot of content, but the core gameplay and mechanics just aren't compelling to me. Keep in mind I have extremely mixed feelings on Elite at this point, as well, and haven't touched it in over a year, I think?

Maybe I'll give NMS another try on PC. I'm just disappointed that there isn't one singularly satisfying "space sim"-style game at this point.
I think this is why a lot of people actually play both games. They compliment each other fairly well.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
I tried No Man's Sky for a few hours and honestly really didn't enjoy it. It feels like a clunky survival/base-building game in a shell of a "universe".

The on-ground exploration and base building felt clunky and sluggish to me, although I understand they've recently made a lot of UI improvements. Having played Conan: Exiles, Astroneer, Subnautica, and other survival games where building and exploring feel great, it was disappointing.

Flight model is not good. The process of landing your ship or docking in Elite alone is more interesting and enjoyable than flight in No Man's Sky. Asteroid pop-in was VERY bad and I have an X1X. I thought the "seamless" loading between space & orbit flight in Elite was jarring, but No Man's Sky feels like it goes out of its way to remind you you're playing a procedural game sometimes

Yeah it absolutely isn't an alternative to Elite. I'm just impressed with their updating and expanding of their game which has all been fairly substantial and free(!) thus far which was the point of the comparison.

Jul 26, 2018
I'm playing the game on PC (I think it's 720p on my RX570) but I'm getting an XBX soon so I'm thinking of switching platform. I learned that the console version is missing voice control which is a real bummer. Does it miss something else that makes a difference?

Nov 11, 2020
Hi, new member to the forum although I'm a long-time lurker of here, and the other place beforehand (since about 2009, actually...lol). :)

I'm on PS4, don't play that often anymore (triple elite, got the ships I wanted, completed Distant Worlds 2 in my Cobra), but would love to team up for some bounty-hunting in any CGs and the like (now that they're back). Is there a Resetera private server in game? If so, how does one go about getting an invite?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Hi, new member to the forum although I'm a long-time lurker of here, and the other place beforehand (since about 2009, actually...lol). :)

I'm on PS4, don't play that often anymore (triple elite, got the ships I wanted, completed Distant Worlds 2 in my Cobra), but would love to team up for some bounty-hunting in any CGs and the like (now that they're back). Is there a Resetera private server in game? If so, how does one go about getting an invite?
Welcome!

I don't know about any private server, but feel free to add BobiosJP if you're looking to build a list of Era Elite buddies.
Haven't played for a while, but looking to jump back in once Odyssey hits at the latest.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Just to refresh, do we know yet how Odyssey is gonna handle walking around in space stations or on other space ships? I know walking in ship interiors isn't in yet but I think they confirmed walking around in hangars and to some extent space stations.

I think it'll be great if they get to the point where you can dock with another ship (like a fleet carrier or something) and walk around in it. NPC events involving that kind of thing would be cool.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Just to refresh, do we know yet how Odyssey is gonna handle walking around in space stations or on other space ships? I know walking in ship interiors isn't in yet but I think they confirmed walking around in hangars and to some extent space stations.

I think it'll be great if they get to the point where you can dock with another ship (like a fleet carrier or something) and walk around in it. NPC events involving that kind of thing would be cool.
As far as I understand, there will be specialized interiors for space stations that will still be visible from the outside and vice versa, the developers said that you'll be able to see other ships flying in and out from inside, so it's not instanced off or anything. I have not seen or heard anything about how you'll get there, so I'm assuming you'll just kinda port out from the ship into the interior. So far space stations and landable planets (and their settlements) seem to be the only places on-foot, however it did seem like ship interiors aren't out of the question, and Frontier does want to get them into the game if possible.

I'm hoping Odyssey will eventually let the player have free control over their player character everywhere, kinda like how Star Citizen is doing it. People joke about how it feels like our "character" is the entire ship, but I'm really hoping that we'll get to a point where it feels like we're actually the pilot inside the ship.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
"On Tuesday 24 November at 16:30 (UTC), during our Supercruise News stream, we will be testing out the Twitch Drops system for the first time, so come along to earn drops!"

"Watch the stream for 15 minutes to be eligible for the Vibrant Purple Paint Job."
88cdf5f7219655c8b954dc828d9c15729f7043f2.png

ad2740f05b25ebd75d7ca3f9bb8a0d968536621d.png

"Watch the stream for 30 minutes to be eligible for the Purple SRV & Fighter Paint Jobs."
be35b59d569cc47cb39e2612c0ae2f4817807cb0.png

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Hadn't seen this posted here, so bumping with the latest Odyssey trailer:

It looks very promising. Even if the on-foot action/mission structure is basically just shoot-bangs, I think being able to walk around in some capacity will add a nice new layer to this already mighty fine space sim.

Personally, I haven't played in a few months, so this'll be a great time to get the bug back.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting to see gameplay examples of anything other than combat from Odyssey. If it was released today I'm not even sure I'd buy it with the info we have so far.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting to see gameplay examples of anything other than combat from Odyssey. If it was released today I'm not even sure I'd buy it with the info we have so far.
I think you're in the same boat I am. "Here's all these shiny new features, and more new features, and even MORE new features, that don't have fuck all to do with you or your game play style!!"

Most of my ships don't even have guns on them, why would I carry a rifle on my person?

Nov 11, 2020
Firstly, I'm so excited to actually walk around the outside of my ships on foot. I think people are going to be shocked at just how large they are!

Secondly, the FPS combat is something I'm fine with. The HUD reminds me a lot of Halo, so that's a win in my book, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the exploration mechanics for space legs.

Lastly, although I wasn't in the camp of expecting to see full interiors for settlements, stations and ships, I have to say that I'm really disappointed that we're not going to be able to walk around our own cockpits and bridges at launch. I mean I'm honestly never expecting to ever be able to walk through the entirety of a Corvette/Cutter/Anaconda, but I was really hoping the doors at the back of the bridges would work like elevators, leading to the doors contained within the landing struts or exterior of those ships (Cobra has two, for instance; one on the forward landing strut, and one at the back at main-deck level), or even allowing you to go down to the SRV/Hangar bays, jump in, and leave from there. Maybe at some point in the not-too-distant future, hopefully.

Overall I'm really excited, but probably won't get it on launch due to what I think is safe to say by now the chances of their being some pretty bad bugs upon release. lol

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It looks very promising. Even if the on-foot action/mission structure is basically just shoot-bangs, I think being able to walk around in some capacity will add a nice new layer to this already mighty fine space sim.
I think you're in the same boat I am. "Here's all these shiny new features, and more new features, and even MORE new features, that don't have fuck all to do with you or your game play style!!"

Most of my ships don't even have guns on them, why would I carry a rifle on my person?
Same here. I'm still doing nothing but exploration so I'm wondering what the on-foot experience is gonna be outside of combat. I think they already said you'll get money for retrieving samples and stuff.
Lastly, although I wasn't in the camp of expecting to see full interiors for settlements, stations and ships, I have to say that I'm really disappointed that we're not going to be able to walk around our own cockpits and bridges at launch. I mean I'm honestly never expecting to ever be able to walk through the entirety of a Corvette/Cutter/Anaconda, but I was really hoping the doors at the back of the bridges would work like elevators, leading to the doors contained within the landing struts or exterior of those ships (Cobra has two, for instance; one on the forward landing strut, and one at the back at main-deck level), or even allowing you to go down to the SRV/Hangar bays, jump in, and leave from there. Maybe at some point in the not-too-distant future, hopefully.
I never expected full-blown Star Citizen ship interiors right off the bat, but it would be nice if they could start out by having some kind of seamless transition between your cockpit and the entrance to your ship.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Same here. I'm still doing nothing but exploration so I'm wondering what the on-foot experience is gonna be outside of combat. I think they already said you'll get money for retrieving samples and stuff.
Yeah, I haven't played in months, and I'm like 30,000ly out in the black. I really should keep going on that trip, I'm still on the outbound leg.. lol.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New video focusing on ground combat and audio.

Now I wonder how they will handle player's death :
- in ships you can recover a new ship thanks to insurance and you just "spawn back" in the las station you were
- in SRVs and fighters you just get back in you ship thanks to "telepresence"
- but on foot, how will it work ? Spawn back in your last ship or SRV ? Will it cost money ? Will there be some kind of check-point stations in ground buildings to respawn at ?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Not shown in that video is the gankers in ships above the base sending salvos of rockets at anyone outside until you get pissed off and log out.
Oh, that's an interesting thought... can ships target individual people on the ground?

Honestly, my Anaconda has enough beam lasers on it I could just rake the area you're standing in and probably kill everything in a 30m wide strip.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Just picked this up for the PS5. Any noob tips? I picked this up for the PC for a bit but I had the hardest time landing and my system wasn't really prepared to handle it..

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Just picked this up for the PS5. Any noob tips? I picked this up for the PC for a bit but I had the hardest time landing and my system wasn't really prepared to handle it..
- You can re-map all buttons on controller, so experiment with what feels natural to you. You can also do "shift" mapping, i.e. holding one button and pressing another, or even triple button inputs. Recommend assigning landing gear and other tertiary functions to something like "Triangle + ..." so you don't accidentally boost while inside a station ;)

- Every new ship comes with a Docking Computer as standard, so if you're not confident with landing you can use that. Recommended that you don't over-rely on it, though. Manual docking is very quick and highly satisfying once you get it down. (Plus you can use that module slot for something else.)

- You can also buy Super Cruise Assist module to help you on your approach to stations, planets, outposts, etc. However, again, you can free up a module space if you learn to do it manually: Keep an eye on your distance and speed as you approach. Once you're "7 seconds" away, throttle down to about 75% (you can assign a shortcut for this, e.g. R1 + d-pad direction) and you will decelerate perfectly. This will ensure that you hit your Super Cruise destinations consistently, and never over-shoot.

- Don't be afraid to experiment with modules and try various vocations (combat, mining, trade, exploration...). You can sell modules for 100% of their market value, so it's easy to swap in and out, trade up, etc. Ships sell for 90% (I think) so try to settling on something you like the look of and upgrade as much as you can before moving on. (Modules can of course be stored and used on other ships as long as the size/weight fits.)

I'll leave it there for now. Let us know if you have any questions about anything in particular. Best thing is to take your time and drink in the atmosphere!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Holy sh*t. I was having all sorts of trouble with the super cruise and shooting way past the mark. I always slow down but I still blow by.

I'm doing courier and delivery missions right now. If I can get the super cruise down I'd be good.

Are those data encryption recovery missions fairly not dangerous?

Also should I waste any money on upgrades on the loaner sidewinder? If it blows up I know I get the ship back but do I get the upgrades?

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
I was having all sorts of trouble with the super cruise and shooting way past the mark. I always slow down but I still blow by.

I think we've all been there! If you haven't already, set a button or key combo for the 75% throttle option (buried in the settings somewhere); when you're 8 or so seconds from your target, set throttle to 75%, and you can't really go wrong.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Where in the options do I do that?

Sorry, wasn't at my PC at the time, so it wasn't the most helpful reply!

Options -> Controls -> Flight Throttle -> Set Speed to 75%

Bind that to an available button or key, and you can then approach your target at full speed, and give this a press when you're 8-9 seconds away. With time and a feel for it, you'll probably be comfortable pressing with 7 seconds remaining.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Sorry, wasn't at my PC at the time, so it wasn't the most helpful reply!

Options -> Controls -> Flight Throttle -> Set Speed to 75%

Bind that to an available button or key, and you can then approach your target at full speed, and give this a press when you're 8-9 seconds away. With time and a feel for it, you'll probably be comfortable pressing with 7 seconds remaining.

I'm playing on console woops :/

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
On the right-side panel in your ship, I don't remember what tab, but there will be a screen showing your finances, and your ship "insurance" cost. This is known as your "rebuy" cost. It's 5% of your ship's total value, including modules, and if you die without enough credits, you lose that ship and get sent back to a starter sidewinder. If you have the money however, you just pay that 5% insurance cost and you get EVERYTHING back, as if you fully repaired, refueled, and re-armed.

Elite Dangerous is a sandbox game. You have to find and set your own goals, both short-term and long-term. There's no right or wrong way to play this game, so experiment to your heart's desire. I've personally been getting into combat for the first time (I have 150+ hours in the game too, and many others have thousands just doing what they love to do) and been trying out all kinds of different weapons against PvE bounty hunting instead of just following a ship build guide. It's been very fun figuring out what weapons I do the best with, and modules having a 1:1 buy/ sell cost means you can really experiment alot once you have some spare credits.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've not played on console, but I'm pretty sure you can customise your controls (and add binding etc) as you can on PC?

I play with an Xbox controller on PC, for what it's worth, and have the 75% throttle setting bound to the LB+RB button combo.

I'll have to try that, because I have courier missions at Aldrich station in Otiegna system and every time I get too close it drops me out due to emergency dropping

Also when I try to get to Atkins hub, it keeps on orbiting me on a planet and then the destination?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
On the right-side panel in your ship, I don't remember what tab, but there will be a screen showing your finances, and your ship "insurance" cost. This is known as your "rebuy" cost. It's 5% of your ship's total value, including modules, and if you die without enough credits, you lose that ship and get sent back to a starter sidewinder. If you have the money however, you just pay that 5% insurance cost and you get EVERYTHING back, as if you fully repaired, refueled, and re-armed.

Elite Dangerous is a sandbox game. You have to find and set your own goals, both short-term and long-term. There's no right or wrong way to play this game, so experiment to your heart's desire. I've personally been getting into combat for the first time (I have 150+ hours in the game too, and many others have thousands just doing what they love to do) and been trying out all kinds of different weapons against PvE bounty hunting instead of just following a ship build guide. It's been very fun figuring out what weapons I do the best with, and modules having a 1:1 buy/ sell cost means you can really experiment alot once you have some spare credits.

Ahh good to know. I'll
Make sure I always have enough credits

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ok. I made a grave mistake. I left the pilot starting area, and they revoked my permit, so I'm pretty much on my own, without really figuring out how to do anything (like mine, fight, do data encryption etc). Yikes.

Nov 11, 2020
I have a friend who's just bought this game, and is asking me for help etc. The only problem is, it's been years since I first started playing, and that was before they introduced the starter systems, etc. Just for clarity - if he leaves the starter systems, is he not allowed to return? I thought you were locked out after attaining a certain rank?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I have a friend who's just bought this game, and is asking me for help etc. The only problem is, it's been years since I first started playing, and that was before they introduced the starter systems, etc. Just for clarity - if he leaves the starter systems, is he not allowed to return? I thought you were locked out after attaining a certain rank?

i think you can leave outside the starter systems. I did, but I had yet not ranked. Once you rank, it gives you a 'get out there explore' mission with 100k creds, and then if you leave you are locked out

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ok I'm playing on the PS5, trying the mining training. They wanted me to switch to analysis mode. Use triangle and up on the d pad. If you click on triangles, it brings up options on the d-pad. Anyways I can't get this to work. I tried clicking triangle and d pad up at the same time and one after the other. Neither worked. Any ideas?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Ok I'm playing on the PS5, trying the mining training. They wanted me to switch to analysis mode. Use triangle and up on the d pad. If you click on triangles, it brings up options on the d-pad. Anyways I can't get this to work. I tried clicking triangle and d pad up at the same time and one after the other. Neither worked. Any ideas?
Try re-mapping to something like Triangle + L1
You'll find it buried somewhere in the control options.

Also check you have a Pulse Wave Analyzer installed and enabled. Seeing as it's a tutorial I'm guessing you should have one, but I don't know exactly how the latest new pilot experience works.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Thanks. I'm slowly figuring out mining. I used the mining laser and created fragments. Which went into my refinery. I just assumed I'd I mined one unit, it would
Be one unit of ore or what not.

Also I've left the newbie areas. A lot of the trading jobs are a higher rank than me. Are these okay to take? Otherwise I have no trading jobs

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Holy sh*t. I was having all sorts of trouble with the super cruise and shooting way past the mark. I always slow down but I still blow by.

I'm doing courier and delivery missions right now. If I can get the super cruise down I'd be good.

Are those data encryption recovery missions fairly not dangerous?

Also should I waste any money on upgrades on the loaner sidewinder? If it blows up I know I get the ship back but do I get the upgrades?
General rule of thumb I use is to set throttle to center of blue area when you're 15 seconds out. You usually make it that way.

Also, little trick: For going to stations orbiting planets (Coriolis, Orbis, etc.) there's a way to ALWAYS come out of Supercruise facing the mail slot. You want to have the planet behind you and the station in front of you. The mail slot always faces the planet.