• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 11, 2020
Damn my computer won't run this anymore. I'll probably get it for XBOX series S
Those next-gen patches can't come soon enough (nothing announced in that regard yet, but I have to assume they're going to work on them post-launch). My first thought upon seeing the new system requirements was, how are the PS4/Xbox One going to run this? :/

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Those next-gen patches can't come soon enough (nothing announced in that regard yet, but I have to assume they're going to work on them post-launch). My first thought upon seeing the new system requirements was, how are the PS4/Xbox One going to run this? :/
I'm hoping it launches with a next gen version.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Found this thread on the subreddit

https://old.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...odyssey_gameplay_eva_i_was_walking_around_an/

Context: Player glitched out of a hub and got out into space, and they had a working jetpack, temperature readings were accurate for their environment, and it was able to detect there was no longer an atmosphere and the suit's power was draining.

Maybe this is jumping the gun a bit, but either FDev built Odyssey's systems in mind for out-of-ship space movement, or Elite's systems and rules work so well that even edge case scenarios like this still work properly as you'd expect them to. Either way, it sounds very promising for what FDev may be able to do with Odyssey in the future.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any PC folks playing the Odyssey alpha? Would love to hear any early impressions!
I played a bit yesterday, it's a totally different game with huge potential !

At first it's hard to understand what you have to do in many of the new missions, but you try, discover and understand how things work, there's different ways to enter buildings, you can use terminals to check the settlement's map and pin buildings and objectives on your compass.

I got killed a few times because I only had the default suit and gun, I have to make money (missions pay high) to purchase the only suit of this alpha phase (which should allow me to breach maintenance panels).

I'll play more tonight but first impressions are good, learning curve is Elite-like and I like it, ambiance is great, gravity definitely has an effect (I could jump high on the roof of a building to scan scientists through the top window and plan my building entry).

The taxi system is nice but check where the missions are, in the only system available in the alpha some missions can be on a planet 150 Kls away, meaning you have to wait 10 minutes or so to get there (an AI ship brings you there in real-time).

And so many key-bindings to setup and remember if you're not using the default schemes :'D

Cant't wait to see more atmospheric planets (only one with at least a settlement to use the taxi system for now) and be able to use my own ship to go anywhere I want.

It's an alpha but performance is a bit worse in open in planetary hubs, and you have to wait for the pad to be cleared if you use a taxi to a settlement where other players are going, but you can disconnect and reconnect in solo to clear players and let the taxi land (if you disconnect in a taxi you reconnect in it).

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
These alpha streams are looking real Mass Effect 1. It's like we're getting closer and closer to the original promise of that game.

Aside from that, I didn't expect these missions to look like some shit out of Crysis. If I were in the Alpha I wouldn't even rush right into the place. I'd do like, recon or something from the outside. I could totally imagine having a co-op partner on a building or hillside with a sniper rifle.

One question I have though is how you keep your ship safe if you have your own and you do an on-foot mission. Maybe in co-op you have another player fly it away, but solo I guess you'd have to park it a bit of a ways from the place where you're doing the mission and then drive an SRV over there?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine it will still work that way, yeah. Even today, the game will despawn your ship if you move too far away from it, forcing you to call it back down. I kind of don't like that, I'd rather the ship stayed exactly where I left it even if I'm miles away unless I specifically tell it to go away. The game doesn't always do a good job at piloting the ship back down, especially on high-g worlds (unless they've fixed it.. nothing like recalling your ship only to watch it fly straight into the dirt at 300mps).

I would actually like that kind of realism for approaching settlements that don't have landing pads. Land the ship a mile or so away, take the SRV into town, then get out and do whatever you're there to do, get back in your SRV and drive back to your ship.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Could you not just send your ship into orbit, as you can currently do when you land?
I imagine it will still work that way, yeah. Even today, the game will despawn your ship if you move too far away from it, forcing you to call it back down. I kind of don't like that, I'd rather the ship stayed exactly where I left it even if I'm miles away unless I specifically tell it to go away. The game doesn't always do a good job at piloting the ship back down, especially on high-g worlds (unless they've fixed it.. nothing like recalling your ship only to watch it fly straight into the dirt at 300mps).

I would actually like that kind of realism for approaching settlements that don't have landing pads. Land the ship a mile or so away, take the SRV into town, then get out and do whatever you're there to do, get back in your SRV and drive back to your ship.
Didn't know that.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Found this thread on the subreddit

https://old.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...odyssey_gameplay_eva_i_was_walking_around_an/

Context: Player glitched out of a hub and got out into space, and they had a working jetpack, temperature readings were accurate for their environment, and it was able to detect there was no longer an atmosphere and the suit's power was draining.

Maybe this is jumping the gun a bit, but either FDev built Odyssey's systems in mind for out-of-ship space movement, or Elite's systems and rules work so well that even edge case scenarios like this still work properly as you'd expect them to. Either way, it sounds very promising for what FDev may be able to do with Odyssey in the future.
Wow, very interesting. Either way, you're right, this is very promising. You might expect your character to do a constant "falling" animation and be unable to do anything (including die), but it seems they've thought it through and implemented "zero atmo/gravity on foot" to some extent.

I played a bit yesterday, it's a totally different game with huge potential !

At first it's hard to understand what you have to do in many of the new missions, but you try, discover and understand how things work, there's different ways to enter buildings, you can use terminals to check the settlement's map and pin buildings and objectives on your compass.

I got killed a few times because I only had the default suit and gun, I have to make money (missions pay high) to purchase the only suit of this alpha phase (which should allow me to breach maintenance panels).

I'll play more tonight but first impressions are good, learning curve is Elite-like and I like it, ambiance is great, gravity definitely has an effect (I could jump high on the roof of a building to scan scientists through the top window and plan my building entry).

The taxi system is nice but check where the missions are, in the only system available in the alpha some missions can be on a planet 150 Kls away, meaning you have to wait 10 minutes or so to get there (an AI ship brings you there in real-time).

And so many key-bindings to setup and remember if you're not using the default schemes :'D

Cant't wait to see more atmospheric planets (only one with at least a settlement to use the taxi system for now) and be able to use my own ship to go anywhere I want.

It's an alpha but performance is a bit worse in open in planetary hubs, and you have to wait for the pad to be cleared if you use a taxi to a settlement where other players are going, but you can disconnect and reconnect in solo to clear players and let the taxi land (if you disconnect in a taxi you reconnect in it).
Thanks for the impressions! Love the opacity of the mission content and having to figure stuff out. It all looks and sounds better than expected.

Until now, we've been driving SRVs via telepresence... Have they said anything about how this will change with Odyssey?
I agree it would be great if you could land miles away, roll up in your SRV and go about your business that way.
Same goes for SLFs. It'd be amazing if we could leave our ships 6-7km up and take the SLF down to disembark at the base.

I understand that removing the telepresence middleman carries with it a lot more risk, but I say that's healthy for the game from the perspective of engagement and immersion. It would encourage bolder play experiences, such as having instances where one person is in a ship, one in an SRV, one in a SLF, one on-foot, etc.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
"Telepresence" is just an excuse for how the gameplay works, to explain how your SRV can blow up and you just magically appear back in your ship. Somehow it probably explains how your ship can blow up while you're in your SRV and you magically remain perfectly okay. Has anyone lost their ship while in a fighter? I know they push the telepresence hard for fighters since you can literally 3D print a new fighter right on your ship when you lose one, I'm curious if you can lose your ship while in a fighter and still be okay.

Unless I'm telepresencing halfway across the galaxy all the way from Earth? In real time? And every single ship in Elite is entirely unmanned? But if that's the case, then why do I get murder charges for blowing up another ship? Or is that why a murder bounty can be paid off with pocket change?

I'd be okay with losing the "telepresence" excuse in lieu of "it's just a video game".

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the alpha yesterday...I'm not completely sure how I feel yet.

FUCK taxis. Watching those go so frustratingly slow is the worst. Watching them go frustratingly slow over 150k Ls is even worse, to the point where I literally left it there while playing something on my Switch. I accidentally took a mission that was 150k away from where I was. I can't wait until they enable buying ships/using your own ships. I can't imagine why anyone would ever voluntarily use the taxis.

Hanging out in the station/settlement hubs is cool, although I wish in the planetary settlements you could just go outside and walk around. You can do that in an SRV but can't on foot. I don't get it.

I'm probably going to try playing again today and hopefully actually get a mission where it doesn't auto fail when I get to the destination. The one I took yesterday, it auto failed when I got there, so I just got to walk around a dark base that it seemed no one was home. I messed with the low gravity jumping and shooting at nothing. It seemed fun but I would like things to shoot at.

I do still hold the hot take that I'm not really sure going in this first person shooter direction was the right one. I'm glad there's missions for repair, stealth, placing bombs, etc, but I can't help but feel like I would have rather had an expansion be something like visiting uninhabited earth-like planets.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
I do still hold the hot take that I'm not really sure going in this first person shooter direction was the right one. I'm glad there's missions for repair, stealth, placing bombs, etc, but I can't help but feel like I would have rather had an expansion be something like visiting uninhabited earth-like planets.

My feeling too.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this is me too. I'm not even going to bother installing the alpha because honestly it hasn't got me interested in it yet. So far I've seen nothing which would make me want to buy Odyssey, and thats unfortunate.

For me Elite is about flying ships, and I wanted Elite Feet to mesh with flying ships. I didn't want a tacked on separate FPS shooter game attached to the side of flying ships in Elite. So far it seems you either do one or the other but they aren't integrated hardly at all. Hell they even spent time developing it such that you don't even need to own or fly a ship at all now! IN ELITE!??@!?!?!!!

Yeah, I'm not feeling Odyssey at all yet.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is me too. I'm not even going to bother installing the alpha because honestly it hasn't got me interested in it yet. So far I've seen nothing which would make me want to buy Odyssey, and thats unfortunate.

For me Elite is about flying ships, and I wanted Elite Feet to mesh with flying ships. I didn't want a tacked on separate FPS shooter game attached to the side of flying ships in Elite. So far it seems you either do one or the other but they aren't integrated hardly at all. Hell they even spent time developing it such that you don't even need to own or fly a ship at all now! IN ELITE!??@!?!?!!!

Yeah, I'm not feeling Odyssey at all yet.
In the alpha right now you can't even fly ships. The only way to get around is to take the APEX taxis. They are cheap, but also go frustratingly slow. It is weird to be able to just book tickets to the base you're attacking "Yeah I'm gonna go to that pirate base, is there a flight there tonight?"

Everything in the alpha is confined to one system, just to maximize player interactions. Once people can actually use their own ships, I can't ever see a reason to take taxis.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Once people can actually use their own ships, I can't ever see a reason to take taxis.
Which is exactly why they're not allowing player ships yet. You can't test the taxis if you can't get anyone to take them.

The roadmap for the alpha is actually pretty clear in what they're testing during each phase. An early access demo it is not.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
"Telepresence" is just an excuse for how the gameplay works, to explain how your SRV can blow up and you just magically appear back in your ship. Somehow it probably explains how your ship can blow up while you're in your SRV and you magically remain perfectly okay. Has anyone lost their ship while in a fighter? I know they push the telepresence hard for fighters since you can literally 3D print a new fighter right on your ship when you lose one, I'm curious if you can lose your ship while in a fighter and still be okay.

Unless I'm telepresencing halfway across the galaxy all the way from Earth? In real time? And every single ship in Elite is entirely unmanned? But if that's the case, then why do I get murder charges for blowing up another ship? Or is that why a murder bounty can be paid off with pocket change?

I'd be okay with losing the "telepresence" excuse in lieu of "it's just a video game".
If you lose your ship while in a fighter, you're looking at the rebuy screen.

I get that telepresence is just an excuse, and I suppose now you mention it they'll just keep it that way.
But that would mean we wouldn't be able to drive our SRVs to a base and get out on-foot, which would be a wasted opportunity imo.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you lose your ship while in a fighter, you're looking at the rebuy screen.

I get that telepresence is just an excuse, and I suppose now you mention it they'll just keep it that way.
But that would mean we wouldn't be able to drive our SRVs to a base and get out on-foot, which would be a wasted opportunity imo.
When you die on foot in the alpha, on the respawn screen you can chose a ship to respawn in, but for now we don't have ships so we have to respawn on foot in the closest station.
We'll wee how it goes once we will be able to use ships, but does that mean that we are telepresencing a dummy/android body ? :D

From the stream showing a mission :
Player death:
  • If you're on foot and don't have a ship, you respawn at nearest port.
  • If you have a ship you get the choice of port or ship. If your ship is parked up on planet surface you'll get pushed to space for the respawn. If it's at a station you'll spawn in it there.
  • Anything in your backpack is lost on death. IE loot etc.

So I guess we will be able to park our ship near a base, go there in SRV, die on foot and respawn in our ship (pushed to orbit) or maybe even in our SRV if it's still there (no word on them despawning ?).

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I got back into the Imperial Navy rank grind for the Cutter, and I hit Earl, meaning only two more ranks until I can buy that Cutter.

I remembered the hard way why taking "Massacre" missions was a mistake. I took one to kill a certain number of "infected" ships, went to the signal source, and the AI there were talking about hazardous stuff and infections, yet all of the ships showed "Wanted" and NONE as "Infected" or "Mission Target" and killing them did not count towards the mission. I googled this and apparently these missions have been broken for almost TWO YEARS now. I abandoned it and tried a different Massacre mission, which is still a pain to do. I had one for 30 pirates, and given how long it takes to kill a lot of these high rank ships, the time investment seems not worth it when there's assassination, cargo delivery, and salvage missions that show they give the same if not more Reputation.

I'll probably get to the rank for the Cutter fairly soon, outfitting that should be fun.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Alpha phase 3 stream

Somehow the sense of scale looks more impressive to me than No Man's Sky. It remains to be seen how unique that biological sample gameplay will remain over dozens of hours, but really my main question is how much those samples'll be worth. It looks like in the time it takes for me to land on a planet and get the samples, I could scan another two or three whole systems.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the biological sample stuff sounds interesting.

THAT would be a particular aspect I definitely wish was in VR for this thing.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
The Imperial Navy grind is real. I'm on Marquis 22%, so next rank I get the Cutter permit. I have a few Reputation missions I took, and will finish soon. This grind is so annoying though. Honestly I'm most enjoying taking assassination missions above all else. Those seem most efficient as you can just keep going after you kill your target if your ship condition and ammo situation is still good after each right. Taking on Federal Corvettes in my FDL is fun.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So now that we have a date on Odyssey (May 19th I think), I'm gonna try to finally make a Sag A* trip before the update drops for everyone and changes things up. I'm probably not gonna engineer anything. Anything else I should know?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
So now that we have a date on Odyssey (May 19th I think), I'm gonna try to finally make a Sag A* trip before the update drops for everyone and changes things up. I'm probably not gonna engineer anything. Anything else I should know?
I didn't realize it was that soon....we're going from Alpha straight to....launch???? That seems a bit rushed, or did they just not want to call this Alpha a beta?

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize it was that soon....we're going from Alpha straight to....launch???? That seems a bit rushed, or did they just not want to call this Alpha a beta?
The alpha is pretty solid though, less bugs than previous betas, but let's see what happens when we get to phase 4 next week with our commanders' snapshots.

They still have about 2 weeks after the alpha (if it ends next week) to fix final stuff and optimize.
They can still patch the game after that, but the alpha feels more like a solid beta than an alpha (that tends to be buggy).

At least the wait won't be that long :)

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got the Imperial Navy rank to buy an Imperial Cutter. I went to Founders World to buy and outfit it of course. Not done outfitting yet because 1. I'm not entirely sure what all I want to get. And 2. Everything costs a pretty penny. I got the 8A Power plant, distributor, thrusters and some smaller things and that blew through about 400 mil leaving me with 100 mil, so I figured it was time to go earn some money.

Playing with the Cutter a bit though, I always loved the Gutamaya interiors. It is a chonky ship as I expected, to the point where I actually have to go the speed limit in stations to ensure getting out and in safely. In my Anaconda I know how it handles well enough to ignore the speed limit with no problem, but I ain't there yet with the Cutter.

Maybe one day I'll do the Federal Navy grind for the Corvette, but I think I will take a break from that for now after doing the Cutter.

I'm kind of interested in building a tank combat cutter. I know it's obviously not as efficient as the Corvette, but that shield is no joke to the point where ramming them is a huge deal. It would be just for PvE. I wouldn't be stupid enough to use that for PvP.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
The cool hip way to make money right now is Robigo passenger missions to Sothis. There's a destination there they want to see, and it's not incredibly far.

Get a Python, strip away shields and fill everything with passenger cabins. Keep supercruise assist and get an advanced docking computer. Get an A-grade FSD, D-grade almost everything else. Engineer the FSD for jump range. Right now (and my engineering isn't finished yet) I have a good jump range where Sothis is 3 jumps away from Robigo. If you build up Rep with the factions in Robigo Mines, you can make even more money quick. Stack as many passenger missions as you can.

You can't get scanned since the passengers are criminals and considered illegal, but it likely won't be a problem. Get at least one pack of heat sinks to use if you are starting to get scanned. The docking computer, I am normally against, but I'm for it here for two reasons:

1. You have no shields and have to make sure to not take any hull damage with passengers. Landing slightly too hard can cause 1% hull damage.
2. You will be repeating this a lot, and you're landing on a small outpost station. The docking computer is usually pretty fast for this. It's nice to be able to automate this repetitive part, especially since you have to be more careful with landing than usual.

This is even easier and faster than the Robigo smuggling missions from years ago.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I made a bit more progress outfitting my combat cutter and took it for a spin in an RES. I feel like even going a ramming build, if you're against smaller ships you NEED turreted weapons, launched fighters, or weapons that are powerful enough to one-shot ships like eagles by looking at it (I'm talking stuff like railguns, etc.)

Still Robigo Passenger missions to Sirius Atmospherics are stupidly easy, and with how my FSD is engineered I can make it back and forth in two jumps.

Synopsis of details from the previous stream: https://elitedangerous2016.wordpress.com/2021/04/28/discovery-scanner-synopsis/

Mostly just more talking about how what you're seeing in the Alpha isn't a full representation of what's in the retail product.
Sounds cool, I'm curious to see more, but I'm still not entirely sure FPS combat was what the game needed though. The stuff with checking out plant life in first person though, THAT is cool.

I think my biggest disappointment about this expansion (and one that doesn't look like it will be added in Odyssey) is being unable to walk around inside your own ship. I would kill to be able to walk around in my Anaconda or Imperial Cutter. Just looking around the cockpit you can tell there's so much to see in that room alone, much less what's in the rest of the ship.

It's still really weird we're seemingly going from Alpha straight to launch, no Beta. I know Alpha and Beta are just words they can use for whatever, but still, it's weird.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I think my biggest disappointment about this expansion (and one that doesn't look like it will be added in Odyssey) is being unable to walk around inside your own ship. I would kill to be able to walk around in my Anaconda or Imperial Cutter. Just looking around the cockpit you can tell there's so much to see in that room alone, much less what's in the rest of the ship.
I still have hope this might come later.

One thing Star Citizen has right is that when you invest so much into a ship, there's a sense that it's sort of your "house." It'd be really interesting if these games started treating it in a sort of Animal Crossing sense where you get to really customize your home.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I still have hope this might come later.

One thing Star Citizen has right is that when you invest so much into a ship, there's a sense that it's sort of your "house." It'd be really interesting if these games started treating it in a sort of Animal Crossing sense where you get to really customize your home.
Hell they already added a ton of customization with all the livery stuff (aka microtransactions).

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Been grinding combat rank by hunting Thargoid Scouts and holy shit Elite takes forever.
Meanwhile I got Elite in trading and exploration without even trying.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Been grinding combat rank by hunting Thargoid Scouts and holy shit Elite takes forever.
Meanwhile I got Elite in trading and exploration without even trying.
I haven't fought Thargoids myself, but assuming the points you get from killing them work like humans, just ignore anything below Dangerous unless you can one shot it (much like the stupid Eagles).

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
I haven't fought Thargoids myself, but assuming the points you get from killing them work like humans, just ignore anything below Dangerous unless you can one shot it (much like the stupid Eagles).
All Scouts, which are fairly easy to kill and require no special equipment, count as Elite and are the fastest way to level combat rank.
Or at least they were, I'm checking past update notes and on December 8 there was a patch that changed some combat related stuff and among other things decreased the Scout combat rank. Can't find exact info but it seems they are Expert now.

I did try grinding at resource sites and at a compromised nav beacon but the problem there was that was a whole lot of stuff that wasn't worth my time, atleast with Scouts I can show up at a signal source and be 100% sure there are going to be a few enemies worth my time.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
All Scouts, which are fairly easy to kill and require no special equipment, count as Elite and are the fastest way to level combat rank.
Or at least they were, I'm checking past update notes and on December 8 there was a patch that changed some combat related stuff and among other things decreased the Scout combat rank. Can't find exact info but it seems they are Expert now.

I did try grinding at resource sites and at a compromised nav beacon but the problem there was that was a whole lot of stuff that wasn't worth my time, atleast with Scouts I can show up at a signal source and be 100% sure there are going to be a few enemies worth my time.
Interesting. I may need to head out to Thargoid space at some point and fight some. I have yet to fight any. I also need to check out Guardian stuff too. I wish Powerplay modules weren't so annoying to get. I'm currently pledge to Arissa Lavigny-Duval, and want the Prismatic Shield Generator for my Cutter.

My next thing right now is to hit a billion in current funds though. I can do that within a few hours with Robigo Passenger Missions.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Interesting. I may need to head out to Thargoid space at some point and fight some. I have yet to fight any. I also need to check out Guardian stuff too. I wish Powerplay modules weren't so annoying to get. I'm currently pledge to Arissa Lavigny-Duval, and want the Prismatic Shield Generator for my Cutter.

My next thing right now is to hit a billion in current funds though. I can do that within a few hours with Robigo Passenger Missions.
I kinda hoped that with carriers they'd allow players to resell Guardian and powerplay stuff, make that stuff somewhat accessible.
I went through the effort and unlocked all Guardian stuff, the only truly useful thing is the FSD booster, everything else is outperformed by engineering.
Now I'm hoping Odyssey brings in new engineers that can work on Guardian tech and make that stuff somewhat worthwhile.
Hell, there are a bunch of human modules that can't be engineered, it'd be nice if those could get looked at.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hoped that with carriers they'd allow players to resell Guardian and powerplay stuff, make that stuff somewhat accessible.
I went through the effort and unlocked all Guardian stuff, the only truly useful thing is the FSD booster, everything else is outperformed by engineering.
Now I'm hoping Odyssey brings in new engineers that can work on Guardian tech and make that stuff somewhat worthwhile.
Hell, there are a bunch of human modules that can't be engineered, it'd be nice if those could get looked at.
I'm surprised the Guardian stuff isn't great, given the lengths you have to go to to get it. Carriers in general were a disappointment to me honestly, and given the number of the damn things I see in systems that are even somewhat popular (like Robigo), I just set my own filters on the navigation and have them filtered out. Unless you're in uncivilized space, they're fairly useless.

My Python for Robigo passenger missions has a 5A FSD (human) that is engineered and can make it from Robigo to Sothis in two jumps, which is extremely useful for those passenger missions. I still need to engineer it a few more times on the Tier 5 to get it even better, but I'm not sure how much more I can improve it. It requires a data that's pretty rare from scanning wakes and I sure as hell don't have the energy to go grind for that when I'm already fast enough doing it in two jumps.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Doing the math now, and there's no way I'm making it to the core AND back before Odyssey drops, especially with RE Village coming out. I can probably make it to at least one deep space station though. And I know even if I don't buy it the update that changes what planets I can land on will still go out to everyone.

Maybe I stop at one of those stations and when Odyssey drops I buy the space suit and whatever (if they're even selling it out there) and start adding biology expeditions to my core run. Who know how much time that would add.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Doing the math now, and there's no way I'm making it to the core AND back before Odyssey drops, especially with RE Village coming out. I can probably make it to at least one deep space station though. And I know even if I don't buy it the update that changes what planets I can land on will still go out to everyone.

Maybe I stop at one of those stations and when Odyssey drops I buy the space suit and whatever (if they're even selling it out there) and start adding biology expeditions to my core run. Who know how much time that would add.
I feel you. I'm about halfway across the galaxy now, taking the scenic route all the way to Beagle Point (never been there). If I play every chance I get between now and launch, it'll probably get me halfway to Beagle Point from where I am now, which is still a long way off, and that's not even counting the return trip. I suppose I could stop by Colonia on my way back.

I've already pre-ordered Odyssey, just to be able to walk around outside the ship on planets (the standard flight suit works for this), even if I don't have the scanner that comes with the exploration suit (which is kind of a disappointment that there's no accommodation for players out in the black, it's not like I'd be limited by money if I were back home).

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately I'm only in Robigo right now, so I can very easily get back to the bubble. I plan on finishing the Robigo passenger grind to a billion and having that ready to spend on Odyssey stuff.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Finally ready to check out VR in this after getting a G2 at launch. Looks neat just doing the tutorial, since it's been so long since I played, and I previously didn't have a HOTAS. Probably go explore to relearn everything, once I tweak performance to where it needs to be.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Finally ready to check out VR in this after getting a G2 at launch. Looks neat just doing the tutorial, since it's been so long since I played, and I previously didn't have a HOTAS. Probably go explore to relearn everything, once I tweak performance to where it needs to be.
Make sure to turn Volumetric Lighting to Ultra in VR. There's a bug if you have it lower where things like asteroids are rendered as extremely blurry. I've never noticed a performance hit turning that setting up.