• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
People need to read the article. It's less about the raw compute power of the system and more how the system is designed, including the use of SSD. Like, it's very clear that consoles are going to hasten the standardisation of SSD's for PC gaming. That alone is driving PC gaming's future, no?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sweeney isn't saying that you can't get a comparable M.2 drive for your PC, even now if you want to shell out for it. Rather, he's saying the custom drive Sony created and the way it interacts with the overall PS5 data management system makes it faster and more impressive from a development standpoint that anything a consumer could readily buy today, especially considering PC developers aren't yet building games that take advantage of such speeds. That may change in the future when both new consoles arrive and, as Sweeney predicts, inspire significant upgrades to PC component design and PC-specific game development.
All this talk of "speed" but do we have any confirmation of whether the UE5 demo is actually running at 60fps on PS5? Because the YouTube stream is encoded at 30fps unfortunately.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Here's one for a sweetner

www.forbes.com

You Can't Build A PS4: Why Sony's Next Console Is Truly Next-Gen And Your PC Isn't

The PS4 uses hardware that you simply can't get for your custom gaming PC.
LMAO WHAT? I literally see the Sony bucks falling from Sweeney's pockets, and now Forbes.

This is why I hate news journalists now it's more about appeasing the damn publishers, and studios then it is doing a good job at reporting on something.

I hope this is the gen where neither console ships with a busted-ass terrible UI.

I hope so too.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
1JKf.gif

I'm gonna go all out lol.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
click clcick click lick bait ...Tim just said on the live stream that Nanite will work on both Xbox Series S, PS5 & High End PCs...

Oct 31, 2017
We hear this every single generation

Not at all. We only hear it when it's true.

360 was pretty impressive in its time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they said it then. The PS4/XBO (let's remember that XBO ran something like MGSV: Ground Zeroes at 720-freaking-p) were considered mid-range PCs at best at launch. "I'll stick with the only next-gen system: the PC" was a refrain around that time. IIRC, these were off-the-shelf parts, not new tech on the PS4/XBO. There was nothing in those systems that PCs couldn't already do, afaik.

How could 2012 laptop parts (released in 2013) drive (then) future PC's lol. And no, I'm not.

You certainly aren't. I felt like I was in Bizarro World reading that post lol.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Well yes, when you target certain specs, suddenly games are going to be better across the board. 😉

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Dollar for dollar, he's right. You're not going to have a PC for $499 that will have the same computing power or components as the next-gen consoles. But let's not pretend that consoles are going to be pushing PCs forward. I game on both, but consoles are the floor and PCs are the ceiling. Technically, raising the floor will benefit PCs, but let's not pretend that consoles are the ones pulling the tech into the future.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you're a PC-only gamer you should always be excited for a new console generation because it significantly ups the baseline hardware.
Yep. Standardized SSD and a good CPU will make for nice upgrades across the board. Even the decentish ray tracing support will be useful for pushing the tech.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you're a PC-only gamer you should always be excited for a new console generation because it significantly ups the baseline hardware.

Yep. I'm going for a PCI-e 4.0 x4 NVME (either the Corsair MP600 or the Seagate FireCuda 520) with 2TB of storage. You can bet your fucking ass I'm going to take advantage of this :).

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It is really weird that he is saying the PS5 SSD is beyond anything you can buy on PC because it is factually not...?

There are PCIe gen 4 SSDs on PC doing 8 or 9 GB/sec UNCOMPRESSED...

so it's just marketing lies now?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it ups the baseline. Right now all multiplatform games are developed with the XB1 and PS4, consoles from 2013, in mind. Once developers drop those consoles they will no longer be bound by the limits those platforms bring with them, and you'll see the result of that in PC games as well.
Or you could just see it as the consoles holding back progress, you know.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is really weird that he is saying the PS5 SSD is beyond anything you can buy on PC because it is factually not...?

Where is an SSD with that speed? I've genuinely only seen ones at 5GB/s

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
People need to read the article. It's less about the raw compute power of the system and more how the system is designed, including the use of SSD. Like, it's very clear that consoles are going to hasten the standardisation of SSD's for PC gaming. That alone is driving PC gaming's future, no?
I thought SSD:s were already a standard and I was the odd-one out skipping SSD in my PC 4-5 years ago.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
PS5 will be awesome but PS6 will blow it out of the water with so much more raytracing and trillions of triangles (billions per frame instead of 20 million).

PS5 has GDDR6 but I'll be PS6 will have HBM4.

The SSD speed will probably be 10-15 GB/sec.

Dynamic3

Oct 31, 2017
Here's one for a sweetner

www.forbes.com

You Can't Build A PS4: Why Sony's Next Console Is Truly Next-Gen And Your PC Isn't

The PS4 uses hardware that you simply can't get for your custom gaming PC.

Did you read even the article you posted?

You can build one with better specs, but you'll certainly pay for it. The PS4 is not a dream machine, and we're not going to pay dream machine prices for it. Consoles will not be able to keep pace with the PC...

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, we did hear this last gen.

You're the one rewriting history.

In terms of graphics, yes, and it is always true. Games are always designed with consoles as the baseline. When they get a bump, everyone gets a bump. PC games can push graphics with innovative hardware, but games will never be made with them as the targets until consoles also move up.

The GTX 1060 didn't just become the popular card out of nowhere. It's the popular card because it runs console games at 1080p60 at high settings, meaning those things which are easily scalable. Back last generation, the same thing happened, the most popular cards were the ones that could run that generations console games at 1080p30 or 1080p60.

8GB or 16GB didn't become by far the most prevelant RAM amounts out of thin air. Last generation it was 4-8. This generation it's 8-16. That shift happened due to games that all shifted upwards when the new consoles came out.

This is just the reality of game development. And any dev will tell you so. A dev basically just said this, in fewer words, in another thread. "Games will always be designed around a console baseline" or something to that effect.

Also, consoles absolutely HAVE been raked over the coals ever since the beginning of last gen. I was very much around, basically daily on GAF, and basically everywhere else that talked about next gen consoles. Anyone who knew about the CPUs basically said hey so these are bad. And they were. They're awful netbook CPUs from like 2011. They were bad long before they came out.

Consoles simultaneously push things forward and hold them back. In general, graphics leaps forward when consoles do. As long as consoles are a major part of gaming, this will always be true.

We hear this every gen because it is literally true. As I said, any developer will tell you this. Graphics are not linearly scalable, and if you are designing around consoles, fundamental design is made with them in mind, so when they get a bump, games in general get a bump. There are only so many things, like resolution, fps, and some extra visual effects that are easily scalable. That is primarily what extra PC power is relegated to with pretty rare exceptions. Models, AI, physics, encounters, environment size, in some senses environmental detail, polygon count, etc. are all always beholden to consoles, not PC.

PCs have had SSDs for a while now. It'd be nice to finally have games designed with them in mind.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Oh really? Can you link one?

Or you could just see it as the consoles holding back progress, you know.

If there were no generations and all people played on PC, there wouldn't be a 4.8 GB/s SSD base line right now, but a 0.2 GB/s one. Please tell me more about how consoles hold back gaming!

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
People say it's good if you're a PC gamer, but now I feel I'll have to upgrade my ssd to compete 😅

So far I only have a Sabrent PCIe gen 3 nvme

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
You could also say, the HDDs in the ps4 and Xbox one have been holding back PCs for a long time.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I'm so hyped for PS5.

Between devs gushing about the SSD and PS5 in general and the new design/different capabilities of the DualSense… really feels like a completely new generation.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very nice, but these games should scale down well to regular SSDs, thanks to the PCs dedicated DRAM which can act as a puffer.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Those are pretty expensive SSDs though but really, it is a lot of marketing hype. Even a regular SSD that is much slower than a M.2 NVME drive would be a huge improvement over a mechanical harddrive.

I'm excited to buy a PS5 but let's keep it real, it's not some unobtainium super hardware that is impossible on PC. The only thing impossible is the form factor as you can't cram standard PC parts in the way the Xbox Series X is packed for example. But you can get reasonably close with a small form factor system.