• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So nothing has really been confirmed or changed. The concern remains.
The concern would remain even if the language were dead-straight and stated specifically that Rocket League would continue to be available for purchase on Steam in 2020.
Epic feels not the need to hold themselves to their own fucking word.

Epic stans sure don't feel the need to hold Epic to their word, either. Epic could say one thing, do another a few weeks later, and we'd have more than a few posters being like "Wow, 300 IQ epic move, Epic! This will really put the pressure on Steam to develop Half-Life 3!"
So really I've just got concern all-around for Epic because I believe they'll do whatever they like at any time regardless of anything they've ever said

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I actually think this US Gamer article is hurting more than it's helping. It is really saying nothing new while adding its own interpretation which is an embellishment of the statements we've already seen. I don't think that US Gamer article should be used as evidence of a backtrack or anything else.

The concern would remain even if the language were dead-straight and stated specifically that Rocket League would continue to be available for purchase on Steam in 2020. Epic feels not the need to hold themselves to their own fucking word.
yea.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really not that at all. In general, it's less people defending Epic and more apathy because people like myself don't use 3rd-party key resellers, and use software like Discord to chat in multiplayer so I don't really care. I don't care where the game is for sale or which launcher I am using. If I want the game I will buy it. In the case of RL, I already own it on Steam, PS4, and it's on Game Pass as well. The one positive from Epic buying Psyonix is that the DLC might be account wide now similar to Fortnite. That would be great.

In general, the anti-Epic brigade is just really hostile and forum users in this thread have pulled bans in other Epic threads. Let's be realistic about this for a second. Who on this forum doesn't already own RL on Steam, but will be buying it after late 2019 when it's only on EGS for the PC platform? Pretty much no one. So this thread is essentially just another "EGS is the cancer of PC gaming" thread. It's also funny that so many people say that the people who have no problem with EGS are not PC gamers. Ummm, sure. My 1000+ games on PC say otherwise.
If people were truly apathetic about the topic they wouldnt come to these threads and drop their dumb takes.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If they take it off Steam, yet continue to support the product for Steam users, why is it such a big deal? It's like Wal-Mart deciding to no longer sell a specific product, but the Target next door starts carrying it. No one is really hurt in this scenario, based on the information we have so far. And that's all only if they actually do pull it from Steam, which has yet yo be officially verified. Either way, this is good news for Psyonix and it doesn't seem to hurt anyone.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I agree. Microsoft is actually a good example of how to do it right (or rather, honest). You buy the studio and fund new games that are exclusive to your platform. Microsoft and Epic are essentially doing the same thing, except Epic is taking the brute force approach. Epic also got the advantage of still being able to release on other platforms besides PC and having a shitload of money all dedicated to gaming. If I was a developer I'd take the deal too. They're in such a good position. If they keep this up long-term, I honestly can't think of a way for Valve or any other company to fight back.
Yeah I really haven't blamed devs much on any of these deals. Like with Phoenix Point, I want all the success and sustainability for Gollop and his studio. The original XCOM was a huge part of my gaming childhood, influential and innovative in the industry and is among the best classic games ever made (objectively speaking). But sadly I think he never had enough mainstream acknowledgement and respect for it, so hey atleast take some money. Gollop already lost funding and had to cancel his spiritual successor to original XCOM once. But I'm not willing to support Epic because of the shit they're pulling and because their platform does nothing to deserve it, so I'll wait until it's available anywhere else. I'll buy it wherever it's available first besides EGS (on PC clients I mean).
I want to add that the PR Head of EGS (Sergey) gloated about the purchase with this gif:

giphy.gif

So it is clearly a backtrack.
He's a smug motherfucker for sure. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember some earlier tweet from him too that made him seem bit of a dick.

Last edited:

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that was an epic backtrack. As long as it's staying on Steam though and I can continue to play it with no difference, then fine, whatever. They do only say no "announced" plans though. Frankly, I don't trust them at all. We'll see.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of these devs getting this type of backing. This should be a celebratory announcement, but the EGS hate boner remains ever turgid.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Psyonix. They obviously know that this only will bring stability to them as a company to be owned by a bigger company like Epic.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
If they take it off Steam, yet continue to support the product for Steam users, why is it such a big deal? It's like Wal-Mart deciding to no longer sell a specific product, but the Target next door starts carrying it. No one is really hurt in this scenario, based on the information we have so far. And that's all only if they actually do pull it from Steam, which has yet yo be officially verified. Either way, this is good news for Psyonix and it doesn't seem to hurt anyone.

In this case, consider if I use a wheelchair but Target doesn't have a wheelchair ramp. I'd like to purchase the product, and Wal-Mart has a ramp, but no longer carries the product.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Wrong. The "cut" is a red herring thrown by Epic shills to divert from their aggressive moves in the PC marketplace. There has been plenty of posts with evidence 12% is not sustainable and how Epic favors the US users while passing transaction fees to folks from other countries to the buyer because it's less visible/does not get bad press in the US centric forums.
Instead of thinking about this with a 'console war' mentality, please articulate how pressures to increase cut to devs is ultimately a bad thing? There's already been vocal opposition against Steam from devs, and even if Valve can't stop Epic's aggressive foray into the PC market space, it doesn't mean listening to devs' concerns is a bad thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Wario64 got quoted his tweet from the Verge who corrected their story.
Too much confusion around this right now. I'll wait for some facts and clarity. Everyone stumbling over themselves to clarify existing statements is just wasting our time.

I'll say this: I'm most disappointed with the developer's statement because with all of those paragraphs and the bullt-in FAQ they offered up, they managed to avoid the biggest question they knew would be coming. They know people would want to know what this means for the game on Steam and its audience. Their silence on the matter spoke great volumes. I would not hold my breath if you are a Rocket League owner.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
There is no reason for Rocket League to leave Steam, the majority of sales already happened. They would just gain more negative exposure.

Get ready for Rocket League 2 esclusive for EGS though, if they bought them it means something is moving relatively soon ( maybe a new IP)

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of thinking about this with a 'console war' mentality, please articulate how pressures to increase cut to devs is ultimately a bad thing? There's already been vocal opposition against Steam from devs, and even if Valve can't stop Epic's aggressive foray into the PC market space, it doesn't mean listening to devs' concerns is a bad thing.
because consumers lose out on growth of overall featuresets for games. Devs lose out on featuresets for them that simplify game development. Valve has reinvested their cut greatly back into its stores featuresets in ways that have greatly benefited developers. Steamworks API is miles ahead of any other distribution and hosting platform.

Consumers of course lose the most here, but there has been testimonies (on this forum even) from devs that steam's cut has been justified with how much they provide.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I mean. I guess? But then the point would be Steam also wants to put Epic out of business. And EA out of business. And Ubisoft out of business. They all want market control in an industry where having market control is next to impossible. But the one company that has achieved such a feat is.. Steam.

And Steam, for a VERY long time, has been the only place to play the games you want to play. Sure you can buy the game from a third party, but you are still forced to use Steam as the platform in order to play your game.

YES! And people asking why is Valve going to do can't see they don't have to do anything when their so established in the mindset that consumers would do it for them.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
In this case, consider if I use a wheelchair but Target doesn't have a wheelchair ramp. I'd like to purchase the product, and Wal-Mart has a ramp, but no longer carries the product.
I understand the comparison, but in what way is EGS not accessible? It has fewer features, I'll give you that, but that doesn't actively impede someone's ability to use it.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder if they listen to their own developers as they crush them with insane work hours?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I understand the comparison, but in what way is EGS not accessible? It has fewer features, I'll give you that, but that doesn't actively impede someone's ability to use it.

Those features matter BIG time for many people. Controller support, linux support, cloud saves, etc. But excluding that: I'm a Chinese wheelchair user.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

From my own perspective it's not a huge deal, but it's more a matter of principle and concern regarding the continuous support of the Steam-version.

One thing I know for sure would get annoying is when/if a friend eventually gains interest in Rocket League (or whatever the case may be) in the future, we'll have to invite and communicate outside of the platform we're playing on since I can't invite them via Steam and I can't chat with them via Steam. It may be a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things but it certainly impacts the way I'm playing and purchasing games.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
No announced plans doesn't mean they won't take the game off Steam, just that they didn't announce it yet.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's totally coming off Steam eventually. That's the way Epic operates, why would they change?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Those features matter BIG time for many people. Controller support, linux support, cloud saves, etc. But excluding that: I'm a Chinese wheelchair user.
Fair point. I don't really have a rebuttal for the Chinese region block. That's a legitimate issue that I don't believe would have an easy resolution.

ShrtAttnGmr

Feb 7, 2019
I tried RL and couldn't get into it, but I guess I assumed that it has run its course in terms of sales at this point. What will this really do for Rocket League?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Protip: at no time during their backpedal has Epic actually said they will in fact not take Rocket League off Steam.