• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If the user reviews don't matter then why do you want them gone so badly?
Because as is currently being demonstrated on the Rocket League store page, they can be used to launch huge anger & rage campaigns by niche portions of the audience that are often completely irrelevant to the question user reviews are intended to answer.

They're the comments section of online commerce, only more easily manipulated and given a greater sense of importance.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure why the increasingly toxic backlash is happening. Buying studios isn't a crime, and one expects exclusivity post-purchase.

Valve bought Campo Santo and will most certainly make their next game a Steam exclusive on PC, despite being announced prior to the acquisition. This uproar didn't happen then.
There's a big difference between pulling a major multiplayer game for sale, and a game that was announced more or less for Steam being on Steam, that the company finished a Switch port of Firewatch while owned by Valve, not pulling firewatch from GoG, or anything that says they couldn't release valley of the gods on console later like firewatch.
Hopefully the Psyonix crew gets a big check then bails and leaves a huge crater where the future of the franchise would've been.
I see this as a highly likely thing if they all got the cash from such a deal

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
supply-controlled by the people who run the market, and a cut of all sales of the goods is also taken by the same people who control the market...

Well, you know, except for all the stores that valve lets sell steam keys without giving a penny to valve, all the free keys devs are allowed to generate and all the costs they eat on payment methods that allow developing markets to actually legally buy games instead of pirating them.

but yeah other than that they control the entire market with an iron fist.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, time for the usual arguments we've all seen a thousand times before

-"Competition is good because competition is good!"
-"It's just a launcher; they're all the same! I don't care about certain features, that means no else can or should!"
-"Trickle down economics totally works!"
-"Let's compare EGS to Steam from 2004; a 15 year old comparison that no reasonable consumer would ever do!"

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
They bought the studio entirely.
It's fair game, and not really the same as moneyhatting.

It's fine if their next game is EGS exclusive. Removing the actual game altogether ? I's petty as fuck.
I don't remember Valve removing Firewatch from GOG, stopping developpement of the Switch version. Neither did MS stopped the VR version of Hellblade or removed it from sales.
It sucks big time. This kind of shit shouldn't get a pass at all.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
man people really hate that consumers are actually having a way to communicate their disagreements. better bury all community features like forums, reviews etc. otherwise someone at megacorp would get sad at ascii middle finger spam

There are folks on this site that defend banks...American banks. Bailed out of the 08 crisis banks. It should be no surprise sadly... I don't know what benefit it is to remove user comments to anyone but the corporation.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Obsidian removed every game from Steam? Or Ninja Theory? Or Popcap? Or Bioware?

Right. They didn't. That is why this is bullshit.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
They bought the studio entirely.
It's fair game, and not really the same as moneyhatting.
Considering the valuation would be driven off of future income, part of which is now lost, then that's not entirely true - that gap has to be filled in somehow, unless Psyonix agreed to a lower price for no reason.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, those features will affect whoever doesn't own the game.

So features will be lost from new players and they'll get game with missing features.

Do...do people actually care about achievements and trading cards? Plus, doesn't the game use an account system for online rankings -- so the game has to have cloud saves in order to literally work?

I think the loss of workshop and I guess the controller support stuff (I've made my frustration at Steam's terrible controller configuration interface known several times in the past even if it does, more-or-less, work) are some genuine unfortunate casualties in this though.

There's no additional account on PC. They probably have stuff on server but it definitely uses steam cloud for save file and replays.

And yes some people do care about achievements. I kind of care about cards too, as in I can sell them to idiots and get few free games a year.

(Yeah interface could use work, but it's still best of kind so far. Maybe they'll do something with new UI lol)

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Thats the thing that most don't realize here. Everyone outside of the enthusiast bubble that is into gaming most likely does not give a fuck where they get their games from and its exactly why EGS will do just fine for itself despite all the kicking and screaming a small portion of the audience is making.

Your right but does that mean people should not have opinions or voice concern?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Removing RL feels weird. How much is it even still selling on Steam at this point? It seems like they are doing more harm than good with this.

The obvious comparison is Microsoft who allowed Minecraft and Hellblade to stay on ps4 and let them release on Switch.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do...do people actually care about achievements and trading cards? Plus, doesn't the game use an account system for online rankings -- so the game has to have cloud saves in order to literally work?

I think the loss of workshop and I guess the controller support stuff (I've made my frustration at Steam's terrible controller configuration interface known several times in the past even if it does, more-or-less, work) are some genuine unfortunate casualties in this though.
Wait... Are you seriously asking if people care about ACHIEVEMENTS if all things? Y'know, like the thing that's pretty much standard everywhere on PC and consoles alike these days and thus why there tends to be monthly threads or so about how the main outlier, Nintendo, needs to get with the times and add some form of achievements already because they're so normal and it's so weird that they don't have them and that tends to be one of the most consistently requested changes on Nintendo platforms due to that?

Like I get not understanding the hub-ib about trading cards, but achievements, really? I myself couldn't care less about achievements but I myself realize that makes me the odd one out and doesn't in any way change how much others love the things, which they clearly do. Don't need to like them myself to understand that much, that regardless of if I care for them or not millions of people clearly do and that's the kind of thing that sticks out like a sore thumb, regardless of my personal feelings.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I never got invested in that game, despite it looking quite fun.

Game is amazing, you should definitely try it.

If you want to get it for PC but only want to give storefront money to Valve, you can still do it now while it's there on a Steam, or get it on console instead.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Removing RL feels weird. How much is it even still selling on Steam at this point? It seems like they are doing more harm than good with this.

The obvious comparison is Microsoft who allowed Minecraft and Hellblade to stay on ps4 and let them release on Switch.

Top 10 player base on Steam right now unless I'm An Old and mixed something up, which is always possible

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
It's like some of you people keep deliberatly ignoring that EGS is not available in every country and that EGS does not support most of the payment methods Steam does, which means EGS is unavailable for many many users.

Those people don't matter though, users in developing countries, linux users, people who enjoy modding or trading cards, all these people are irrelevant because... money?

They'll understand better when epic makes gaming better for us all.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft didn't pull games off of Playstation when they bought Ninja Theory. Hell, they allowed them to publish on Switch just recently.

This is way, way different.

You can't really compare the situations though. Microsoft is trying to broaden the scope of the platforms its games can be played on, while Epic is specifically trying to drive gamers to their store front.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What a gross exaggeration of the first tweet. Epic is trying to make their store competitive. The way they are doing it is shitty, but ultimately the goal is still the same.
Ultimately, the goal is to make Steam costumers into EGS customers by any means. It's transparently obvious. And so those tweets you quoted are exactly right. Epic really wants nothing more than to carve a hole into Valve's slice of the pie so that Epic can fit themselves snugly into it. That shit has been obvious for weeks now my man.
That shit is the entire reason they chose to present their dev-side cut as the defining feature of their anemic little launcher. They want to put pressure on Valve from all angles to reduce their revenue stream and allow Epic more room to sling around Fortnite money.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
What a gross exaggeration of the first tweet. Epic is trying to make their store competitive. The way they are doing it is shitty, but ultimately the goal is still the same.

How so? If you gave Tim Sweeney the option to force Steam to close he would undoubtedly accept. Obviously they know that won't happen but they will do whatever they can.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Turns out, 20 million PC players aren't going to switch to console gaming, PC gaming is just going to turn into console gaming in the future.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game is also on Game Pass. I wonder if it will get pulled there as well. Probably when it goes f2p.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Well, you know, except for all the stores that valve lets sell steam keys without giving a penny to valve, all the free keys devs are allowed to generate and all the costs they eat on payment methods that allow developing markets to actually legally buy games instead of pirating them.

but yeah other than that they control the entire market with an iron fist.

TRADING CARDS. I'm not talking about humble or gmg or gamersgate or whatever