• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned Epic is in control over a developers choice for what libraries it uses when sold on its store. Fantastic. Im sure that will go over well when trying to recruit companies to their storefront.

"Sorry, you can't use this free api, available to anyone, in your software because our competition made it."

With this logic, every game using direct x should not be allowed on Steam because of the windows store.
They argument is that they should've just switched over to OpenVR, which is feature identical to SteamVR and also developed by Valve - the only difference is SteamVR simply launches steam to run. This implies that, like basically every other game thus far announced for EGS, it was made exclusive right about when it was going to launch on Steam.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how feasible it is to swap from SteamVR to OpenVR midstream tbh
Depends on how much of the steam specific features they used when using the library.

If they coded it well enough, you could make the dependency mostly interchangeable and find alternatives / code the steam-specific features.

Obviously requires more time but also heavily assumes they designed the software to not be coupled with their libraries.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, agree 100% with these two posts. Someone literally was making racist accusations against him and he gets banned for speaking out against them.
I reported the post but apparently eventually saying sorry and editing your post is enough to not get a warning or getting banned.

I find it very strange how one gets banned for defending himself and the person calling someone a racist, which IMO is a very serious accusation, is apparently a very light accusation here, and the only reason for calling/implying someone is a racist is because they disagree with each other.

So next time Krejlooc just do that.

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, so this game uses the OculusSDK if you have a Rift right?

I dislike SteamVR and I want to avoid it when I can. The other Epic VR games use the OculusSDK.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
The problem is EGS (and many of the press) constantly saying that steam cut is "horrible", yet instead of investing in those new technologies EGS is using steam as mucha s possible to save money.
In my perspective they are saving money, by for example not doing their roadmap, because their small cut doesn't allow to do the same features as steam.

EGS is not using the tech, the developer is. Why would EGS tell developers what tools to use in their store?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
EGS is not using the tech, the developer is. Why would EGS tell developers what tools to use in their store?

I mean they don't. But that's not what people are stating.

When EGS steps in and decides to buy the exclusive rights to a game that directly uses the technology of the very competitor they claim doesn't actually work or earn the cut that they ask, it rings incredibly hollow given they are buying the literal result of that work.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is EGS (and many of the press) constantly saying that steam cut is "horrible", yet instead of investing in those new technologies EGS is using steam as mucha s possible to save money.
In my perspective they are saving money, by for example not doing their roadmap, because their small cut doesn't allow to do the same features as steam.
Sure but for the meantime they can use SteamVR since it's free and robust. I rather them use a properly working and proven system on my game, I don't care about their business politics and what-not

data

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but for the meantime they can use SteamVR since it's free and robust. I rather them use a properly working and proven system on my game, I don't care about their business politics and what-not
If you don't care, you don't care.

There's no need to come discuss if you're not interested in discussing

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I mean they don't. But that's not what people are stating.

When EGS steps in and decides to buy the exclusive rights to a game that directly uses the technology of the very competitor they claim doesn't actually work or earn the cut that they ask, it rings incredibly hollow given they are buying the literal result of that work.
Is steamVR some philanthropic endeavor? Valve isnt doing you any free favors.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't care, you don't care.

There's no need to come discuss if you're not interested in discussing
I get the thread, but as a consumer I would rather them use a proven system for a product I will purchase. Valve lets them, why not us? Maybe they paid them for a wholesale use of the system?

data

Oct 25, 2017
I get the thread, but as a consumer I would rather them use a proven system for a product I will purchase. Valve lets them, why not us? Maybe they paid them for a wholesale use of the system?
The discussion revolves more around the fact that EGS or Tim Sweeny the person in charge has consistently stated steam doesn't deserve their cut when they have created tools such as steam vr for many to use. It's sort of ironic when you see the bare influence they've brought to the market and how feature less their launcher is.

Steam definitely needed to change which they did. Steam labs, steam new revenue model, some influenced by EGS. Yet EGS has yet to even provide the basic consumer features like a cart.

If you're interested in learning more on why were arguing, please read this thread or the other thread regarding Epic missing features.

Oct 27, 2017

What happened was that the publisher of Tetris Effect was readying the game for release on Steam and use the SteamVR API, then Epic paid them a boatload of money for the game at the 11th hour (which Tim Sweeney has publicly said they would no longer do as of maybe 6 months ago), so instead of properly incorporating an alternative, they kept the SteamVR API.

So here we are, discussing another hypocrisy/issue of EGS.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The discussion revolves more around the fact that EGS or Tim Sweeny the person in charge has consistently stated steam doesn't deserve their cut when they have created tools such as steam vr for many to use. It's sort of ironic when you see the bare influence they've brought to the market and how feature less their launcher is.

Steam definitely needed to change which they did. Steam labs, steam new revenue model, some influenced by EGS. Yet EGS has yet to even provide the basic consumer features like a cart.

If you're interested in learning more on why were arguing, please read this thread or the other thread regarding Epic missing features.
I understand the Tim is a hypocritical snake. I understand that EGS needs a LOT of work, I use the launcher so I know (lol at cart tho honestly given how few the games are in there). But as a consumer, I'm just stating that they should use a proven system if it's available, unless of course if Valve pulls it

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
There is no "meantime", they don't care on bettering a service and they've said as much. Their MO is exclusivity, not making the platform itself.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the Tim is a hypocritical snake. I understand that EGS needs a LOT of work, I use the launcher so I know (lol at cart tho honestly given how few the games are in there). But as a consumer, I'm just stating that they should use a proven system if it's available, unless of course if Valve pulls it
As a consumer, I think you should also want the game to be on multiple storefronts that will attempt to compete on pricing or even on features.

Steam has communities, epic does not.
Would you not agree with this as well?

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Krej banned but the person who accused them of being a racist with 0 proof whatsoever is still able to run free posting shit just because they edited their post?

Like, we all know what Kate wrote, it ain't a secret.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
What happened was that the publisher of Tetris Effect was going to release the game on Steam and use the SteamVR API, then Epic paid them a boatload of money for the game at the 11th hour (which Tim Sweeney has publicly said they would no longer do as of maybe 6 months ago), so instead of properly incorporating an alternative, they kept the SteamVR API.

So here we are, discussing another hypocrisy/issue of EGS.
Is it not in valve's best interest that a developer uses steamVR? So who's benefiting from who here.
Also, epic telling a developer to not use steamVR would be an even bigger thread of whining.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it not in valve's best interest that a developer uses steamVR?
I'm not sure how Steam VR being used by a game exclusive to another store front has any effect on Valve at all, except possibly through the cost of supporting that developer?

Also, just because Epic finds themselves in a mildly "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation doesn't mean they did nothing to land themselves there.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Irrespective of my feelings of Epic, Valve, the Chinese government, or the economic hellscape that is capitalism in general, I did not read Kate's comment as being directed toward Krejlooc specifically so I found myself very confused as to what the hell he was even arguing about in that specific context.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it not in valve's best interest that a developer uses steamVR? So who's benefiting from who here.
Also, epic telling a develop to not use steamVR would be an even bigger thread of whining.

OR:

Epic doesn't buy exclusivity for games, uses that money to properly develop a modern online storefront (you know, with a shopping cart and all those fancy advanced features) and allows them to release on Steam and everywhere else and everyone is happy? Let's consider that for a moment...

data

Oct 25, 2017
Also, epic telling a developer to not use steamVR would be an even bigger thread of whining.
I don't see how it's in valves best interest at all when it's not selling on their store or generating any revenue. More like it wouldn't matter to them

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know then. Can't see all posts all the time so thanks for clarifying

Honestly I don't think Krejlooc was in the wrong here, but I suspect a big part of this ban comes from his history of just being kind of a jerk, even when he's right. He's one of my favorite posters, but he's a jerk sometimes, at the drop of a hat. If he didn't have that history, I doubt he'd have copped this ban, but I won't speak for mods here. If you repeat the same behavior too much, bans start coming in hotter, which also means they'll sometimes happen during situations where another poster might get leniency - like a warning or a blind eye. Similarly, if you make people mad by being a jerk around the forum from time to time, your heated posts will get reported more often.

Reporting posts definitely works. People should do it more. And people should also remember that that's why it always pays to take the high road and click the report button instead of getting heated. It would make the whole forum a better place.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Hostility towards staff, derailing, ignoring staff post.
Official Staff Communication
Krejlooc was banned because they were repeatedly hostile and aggressive, telling users to "fuck off" and "fuck you" numerous times, some of which were made even after that member apologized:

Official Staff Communication
This is not something that can be ignored, especially for a member with a long history of hostility. If you have an issue with a post, report it. Further derailment and modwhining will not be tolerated, so please get back on topic. If you have any further concerns, please reach out to mod captains.

Lmao at calling that an apology. Your moderation is horrendous.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a consumer, I think you should also want the game to be on multiple storefronts that will attempt to compete on pricing or even on features.

Steam has communities, epic does not.
Would you not agree with this as well?
Of course, i'm not advocating otherwise, in fact I rather buy the game on Steam but the reality right now is that the game isn't on it. And if I buy it I rather they use a proven system

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It definitely benefits Valve for devs to use SteamVR, just like it benefits Valve for devs to use Steam

Steam becomes the standard, more devs use it, the cycle flows
SteamVR becomes the standard, more devs use it, the cycle flows

The shitty part is this is a loophole they probably didn't have to think about while developing SteamVR in the first place

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Some people intentionally "ban bait" on this forum for some reason, not sure what the best way is to deal with it though. Context.

I'll need to read this topic more thoroughly, I thought the issue was largely with the devs specifically using SteamVR (requiring Steam) instead of the more suitable OpenVR, which I understand as being basically the same thing right?
Steamvr is a wrapper for a more up to date, developed version of openvr. Steamvr tends to work better than openvr in a lot of cases. Im almost positive when using steamvr api it will launch the steamvr client but this is not the steam client/ store.
A lot of vr devs have preferred using steamvr over openvr due to issues present in current build of openvr that arent present in steamvr.
Openvr has the ability to have its code modified/ changed however while steamvr doesn't.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
>.>
<.<

One of Epic Game Stores very first free games, Subnautica, requires this as well.

This is old news isn't it?

data

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, i'm not advocating otherwise, in fact I rather buy the game on Steam but the reality right now is that the game isn't on it. And if I buy it I rather they use a proven system

And that's completely fine! See you want it on steam most likely because of the features it offers. The game isn't on it because Epic prevented it from being on it.

You're right, use what works. But you have to be a bit disappointed in the developer who was designing the game to be run on steam (steamVR) but then did an about face.

Epic doesn't have control over what their developers do. I can't argue that point. However, it has proven time and again that Epic is not willing to shell out the dough or resources for features like even having a community that developers have to resort to other competitors.

Look at the other features thread. Features promised three months ago have already been pushed to this months and it's almost over.

Please understand my sentiment in that this is bull that Epic can just step in and buy a games exclusivity when it was clearly not designed for exclusivity but meant to be launched on steam.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't think Krejlooc was in the wrong here, but I suspect a big part of this ban comes from his history of just being kind of a jerk, even when he's right. He's one of my favorite posters, but he's a jerk sometimes, at the drop of a hat. If he didn't have that history, I doubt he'd have copped this ban, but I won't speak for mods here. If you repeat the same behavior too much, bans start coming in hotter, which also means they'll sometimes happen during situations where another poster might get leniency - like a warning or a blind eye. Similarly, if you make people mad by being a jerk around the forum from time to time, your heated posts will get reported more often.

Reporting posts definitely works. People should do it more. And people should also remember that that's why it always pays to take the high road and click the report button instead of getting heated. It would make the whole forum a better place.

I mean Krejlooc is Cooljerk backwards. So I'm assuming it's the kind of vibe or persona he wants to show.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely benefits Valve for devs to use SteamVR, just like it benefits Valve for devs to use Steam

Steam becomes the standard, more devs use it, the cycle flows
SteamVR becomes the standard, more devs use it, the cycle flows
Sorry if I'm a bit dim, but how does SteamVR becoming the standard directly benefit Valve though, over OpenVR becoming the standard? Valve isn't collecting license fees, and SteamVR being included in third party's store exclusives doesn't seem like it'd translate into any addition sales on Steam.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
d77.gif

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Youre launching steam. You have to download steam. That doesnt help valve?
Oh, does it actually require the launch of the client just as if you were launching it yourself? Does SteamVR work even if you don't login, even if you don't even have a Steam account, just so long as the client is open at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.