Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm yeah I see that.

Still in my opinion there is much more needed to be successful for a store like that. iOS isn't mainly a gaming platform. To convince a large amount of users to download a separate app over the web (If EGS in Appstore isn't happening) to play a certain free to play game would probably not be easy as long as the game is easily available on other owned platforms.

We see this already with Fortnite. Most people who are interested in playing (and invest) in this game were doing this already on a dedicated gaming device, even when Fortnite on iOS was still a thing.

A Appstore for all kinds of apps + tencent in china is of course a different story.
But even then the Apple Appstore is currently etablished as the only store on iPhone since forever and third parties could have a hard time to gain any market share on a formerly closed platform.

There is tremendous value to getting access to iOS users. If there wasn't there wouldn't be a battle over it.

'Whoever wins, we lose'

The only thing either party is concerned about is the consumer's wallet and getting a bigger share of it.

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but even if you get access to them it is not that easy to reach them. Apple's ecosystem already works for most users as it is.

We are just talking around in circles. Epic is spending tens of millions of dollars (soon to be hundreds of millions) on Cravath and experts to try this case. They don't give a shit about most users. They care about their bottom line and their business objectives. The consumer is just a stick to be used by either side to make a more persuasive argument.

JTDailyUpdate

Nov 1, 2017
'Whoever wins, we lose'

Yep, saw this email from the evidence link yesterday which pretty much points this out that the main thing involved with this lawsuit is to make money, anything else is secondary.

BliTD70.png

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, yeah, I'd imagine Sony would be pissed that the agreement for cross platform multiplayer got released entirely unredacted.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
We are just talking around in circles. Epic is spending tens of millions of dollars (soon to be hundreds of millions) on Cravath and experts to try this case. They don't give a shit about most users. They care about their bottom line and their business objectives. The consumer is just a stick to be used by either side to make a more persuasive argument.
I'm not arguing against that. I just don't see that it will be that easy as many here think for Epic to launch EGS as a third party store on iOS and actually be successful, if that's really their goal.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
This is going to sound silly, but this whole trial has felt like a mini E3 to me. Obviously no nee games are being announced or deals being made, but just having a day of constantly breaking news, new relegation, and hottest of takes. Despite never having owned an Apple product and avoiding using EGS this whole thing has been riveting and fun to watch.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
I said this in the Sony thread. You can't make a deal and bow to one of the companies and sue the other one for being less strict. This whole case will either be thrown out or Sony will go down with it as well.
I am not sure how the legal system works in US, but in other countries this would be like saying, "hey you accepted with a third party something that you are not accepting with me, therefore your right to sue me is over".

So I don´t think this would necessarily mean to throw Epic´s case, if anything it would be more of an accessory argument to make a stronger case for the main argument.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Still doesn't make what Apple etc...are doing is right though. It's like a 5 year olds excuse. "Tommy did it too!"

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is messy. All the evidence sounds like a headache but they did have a long time to prepare.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going out on limb here and say that Apple is going to make sure that if their closed garden goes down, they're taking the consoles' closed gardens with them.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic signs a deal Sony.

Sony invests in Epic.

Epic goes to court against Apple while trying to separate consoles from this case.

But fails, like people have said, they should have taken Sony to court if they were actually trying to do something to help the "little guys"

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going out on limb here and say that Apple is going to make sure that if their closed garden goes down, they're taking the consoles' closed gardens with them.
they have no other choice. The judge said she was wary of this outcome back during preliminary hearings last year. This evidence just confirms where things were headed, the writing was on the wall but shit looks much worse. These platform holders are likely doing things like this to everyone on much larger scales in some aspects.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

So, MS didn't want cross-play at first either?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the part where Apple starts citing Tim Sweeny's tweets?
Lol probs not. The internal docs that have been leaked are far more damaging because it presents a paper trail of hypocrisy regarding epic through the actions of Tim.

Metal is the only choice you have on iOS, though. You couldn't use OpenGL or Vulkan or anything else even if you wanted to.
That's a good point. Hopefully Tim's counsel brings this up specifically.