KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
That's not similar at all. Someone that plays on PlayStation is very unlikely to bother to go find a pc or Xbox to log in with.
Didn't Epic sell their virtual currency via their side-loadable mobile app at an actual discount?
That would definitely be an incentive to buy currency on a different platform even though someone is playing on a Playstation.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I appreciate this thread's universal disdain for this bit of information and behavior. I usually expect to see a few apologists, but not this time it appears.

Sterling is gonna have fun with this one.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate this thread's universal disdain for this bit of information and behavior. I usually expect to see a few apologists, but not this time it appears.

Eh what? You've had people defending it on every page basically

Some of the excuses we've seen so far

1) lol it's business why wouldn't they do it
2) everybody does it 🤷‍♂️(spoiler they don't)
3) you don't work so you wouldn't understand (yes this was a rationale provided)
4) sonys the good guy here (also another weird rationale)
5) show me proof of this policy in action or otherwise it ain't true (this policy we didn't know existed until yesterday)

There's been plenty more but those are some of the highlights

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
...Sony is the reason why you can't play genshin on your PC or phone if you play PS4, aren't they?
Its possible, but i would not be sure.

Irc there was also some strange thing where you couldnt buy ingame stuff for the game on PC if you started the game on Mobile, tho i am not sure if that is still the case.

The game does have crossplay for pc/mobile and playstation.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019

3) you don't work so you wouldn't understand (yes this was a rationale provided)
5) show me proof of this policy in action or otherwise it ain't true (this policy we didn't know existed until yesterday)

The #2 people have all quietly switched to #1 and that's ok. People have different coping mechanisms imo.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Didn't Epic sell their virtual currency via their side-loadable mobile app at an actual discount?
That would definitely be an incentive to buy currency on a different platform even though someone is playing on a Playstation.

That is what the problem is about, and what many are not realizing. The number of people logging into their Nintendo or Xbox systems to purchase mtx who then use what they purchased mainly on PS is likely very low. It also goes both ways: there could just as easily be people purchasing on PSN while playing on other platforms. Under normal circumstances the ratio should be close to 1 on all platforms.

What Sony wants to avoid is devs/publishers enjoying PS's user base while guiding players to their own store fronts, where Sony wouldn't get their cut. That would set a precedent where the platform holder, and their cut, could be ignored in the process of providing content on said platform to those who play on it.

The deal ensures that revenue losses resulting from opening up are not superior to 85% (edit: 15%, my mistake).

People say this is anti-consumer or hurtful for devs, but so far have failed to provide any significant number of meaningful, concrete examples of that being the case, barring perhaps Genshin Impact.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

ah man I skipped around and didn't notice them.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Epic discounted vbucks on all platforms.
But only if you bought via Epic's direct payment, which circumvents the platform cut. If Apple still got their 30% of the discounted V-Bucks they wouldn't have banned the app. That means Sony wouldn't be getting their cut from those transactions. This clause would protect them from such a situation.

(Not saying I'm in favor of such deals. I just find it ironic that Epic basically created a system that would force them to pay a penalty fine to Sony if their plan worked out.)

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

These restrictions from Sony work against gamer and dev interest, frankly embarrassing how certain portion of posters fall over themselves trying to find ways to excuse this, simply because it's their favourite corporation.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Apologies if I've misunderstood you (it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet) but the penalty fees are calculated monthly so this absolutely would trigger because that 5% is for that month, not lifetime.

It's confirmed Sony are the only one with this policy. In my view it's predatory and abusive, I'm really surprised Epic is suing Apple and not Sony tbh.
No worries! You're one early bird... or else you have kids! :-D
Yes they are calculated monthly but what I meant is that it is a risk that exist for the lifetime of the product.
For as long as some of these crossplay games have been going on, I suspect it may have costed Microsoft and Nintendo (in a smaller scale) some losses at least in the months when they did not turn a profit via the Xbox live or Nintendo Online.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
But only if bought via Epic's direct payment, which circumvents the platform cut. If Apple still got their 30% of the discounted V-Bucks they wouldn't have banned the app. That means Sony wouldn't be getting their cut from those transactions. This clause would protect them from such a situation.

(Not saying I'm in favor of such deals. I just find it ironic that Epic basically created a system that would force them to pay a penalty fine to Sony if their plan worked out.)

Vbucks were discounted on PS4 and other consoles as well. I think they still are.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I know play time is another metric but just in terms of marketshare, the Xbox is massively overperforming compared to it's userbase, to the tune of some +35%, while Nintendo and PC underwhelm.

EDIT: Damn okay, seemed fine in the preview.

XEvoMcp.png

Also don't take this data as anything more than speculation, we don't really know the actual user split nor the hours played per platform.. Could be that Fortnite is just more popular between Xbox One users than PS4 users as a percentage of the playerbase as well and still play less or spend less.
maybe Xbox numbers are not updated, while Fortnite's are?

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Vbucks were discounted on PS4 and other consoles as well. I think they still are.
Okay. Then my initial comment about the discount was off mark but my last reply clarified the situation about Epic's direct payment system which cuts out the middle man where Sony would not see a cent from microtransactions via Epic while players are still playing on a Playstation.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
People say this is anti-consumer or hurtful for devs, but so far have failed to provide any significant number of meaningful, concrete examples of that being the case, barring perhaps Genshin Impact.
The problem there is you're asking people to prove a negative.
We didn't know this clause existed til yesterday and now you're asking people to point out all the games that could have cross play/progression but didn't because the terms are so onerous. How do you expect people to know this?
The way its worded enables Sony to protect revenue when they are the leading platform and recoup "loses" when another platform has more players and spend on it. With the additional overhead of the bookkeeping and competitor MI they require it's not hard to see why this isn't a good thing for developers or players (on any platform).

No worries! You're one early bird... or else you have kids! :-D
Yes they are calculated monthly but what I meant is that it is a risk that exist for the lifetime of the product.
For as long as some of these crossplay games have been going on, I suspect it may have costed Microsoft and Nintendo (in a smaller scale) some losses at least in the months when they did not turn a profit via the Xbox live or Nintendo Online.
It's kids, I'm definitely not a morning person!

Agreed the risk exists across the lifetime of the product but none of the platform holders are really taking a hit with F2P games. Any costs associated with a F2P player on a single games are offset by additional sales (both MTX and other games they may purchase) and the wider 'online play' charge which will also include a percentage to cover F2P game services. It's already accounted for else they wouldn't allow it.

Additionally the 5%/10% = .5 in my example was purposefully generic as there's noting to indicate this is only for F2P games and is a significant barrier to any developer wanting to set up cross-play/progression. It's especially painful if a player base leans towards a different platform, Sony effectively want compensation for a game being successful elsewhere and their own players not spending enough.

Of course I went to the extreme for the initial example but even a 60% player base on Playstation accounting for 50% of the revenue would trigger penalty payments so it's easy for developers and publishers to get punished for their game being successful.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
So what information is right in this thread? Did Sony actually ask these things or? Cause I am unsure what is misinformation and what not.

Oct 25, 2017
ah man I skipped around and didn't notice them.
In all fairness it's very hard to read through these posts a lot.

So what information is right in this thread? Did Sony actually ask these things or? Cause I am unsure what is misinformation and what not.

The information is real, it was revealed in the court proceedings.

Originally the known context of the situation was reductive in saying Sony makes devs/publshers pay fees for crossplay. Now it's slightly more refined in saying Sony wants to be compensated by the dev/publisher for any sense of lost revenue to allow crossplay.

I assure you it's very different.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
The information is real, it was revealed in the court proceedings.

Originally the known context of the situation was reductive in saying Sony makes devs/publshers pay fees for crossplay. Now it's slightly more refined in saying Sony wants to be compensated by the dev/publisher for any sense of lost revenue to allow crossplay.

I assure you it's very different.

That's quite scummy :/. Is this currently still in place or a relic of PS4 era?

eggroll

Apr 18, 2021
What I don't get is how it affects consumers if it's Sony who gets the extra money or Epic. Both are billion dollar corporations grabbing your money for digital assets. The contract is just how they're divvying it up.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get is how it affects consumers if it's Sony who gets the extra money or Epic. Both are billion dollar corporations grabbing your money for digital assets. The contract is just how they're divvying it up.

because its not just an Epic contract.....it could and possibly has prevented smaller devs putting titles cross play because of this unknown cost

plow

Oct 28, 2017
literally the only one

That's what EPIC is saying which is obvious since all of EPIC Games are more popular on Playstation. Of course MS wouldn't come at them with a similar contract, their playerbase is much smaller and to top that off, they make More Revenue on each player than Sony does lol.

I don't think MS or Nintendo are doing the same practice ( they don't need to ), but just because EPIC is saying "Sony is the only one doing it" does not mean it's the case for every other publisher in existence.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

This policy most likely applies to all developers who want to enable cross-play on playstation, and some devs may not be so willing to send their monthly revenue reports and cover the difference, thus, not enabling cross-play/cross-progression on PS.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It affects consumers because certain developers and publishers might opt to not have cross-play because they possibly have to pay Sony quite a significant sum of money due to people on other platforms buying a relatively big amount of microtransactions compared to what PlayStation players buy. As shown in the Month 2 example in the OP, that company would have to give Sony 5.25% of their game's revenue due to the average player on other platforms spending more than the average PlayStation player.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That's what EPIC is saying which is obvious since all of EPIC Games are more popular on Playstation. Of course MS wouldn't come at them with a similar contract, their playerbase is much smaller and to top that off, they make More Revenue on each player than Sony does lol.

I don't think MS or Nintendo are doing the same practice ( they don't need to ), but just because EPIC is saying "Sony is the only one doing it" does not mean it's the case for every other publisher in existence.
Fortnite it is massive on all platforms and makes sizeable revenue on all consoles. Putting these terms for fortnite even with the smaller player base shares would net them more money than pretty much every other game that uses cross play aside from maybe cod for Xbox.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, yeah, reading through clause 4, and I don't think there's any way to defend Sony demanding all that data, every month. My head's swivelling at the idea of compiling all that data for one game, never mind a company like Arc Systemworks that could be forced to file monthly reports on several games. This is 100% the reason why Cross-Play is not standard.

eggroll

Apr 18, 2021
It affects consumers because certain developers and publishers might opt to not have cross-play because they possibly have to pay Sony quite a significant sum of money due to people on other platforms buying a relatively big amount of microtransactions compared to what PlayStation players buy. As shown in the Month 2 example in the OP, that company would have to give Sony 5.25% of their game's revenue due to the average player on other platforms spending more than the average PlayStation player.
Comparing what the "average player" on each platform does and ignoring that for fortnite 50% of players are on PlayStation isn't how things work at all. If half the hours spent in the game is on PlayStation, but they only see 10% of the money (of the money that goes to platform holders, that is) the discrepancy is too big to ignore. Fortnite is big enough to have a specific negociation and contract, and Epic in particular is known for trying to dodge this type of royalty. Sony's covering their bases and so should the other platform holders. Epic could literally open up a vbucks specific webstore where they're half off and get all the money for themselves, despite using the playerbase and network infrastructure of the platform holders.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This whole strategy just feels super focused on the short term in such a Sony type of way. Whenever they focus on exploiting a dominant market share, their whole ecosystem collapses. Just look at the crazy PS3 price and every media format they've touched other than DVD.

Sterling's video will be amazing.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Fortnite it is massive on all platforms and makes sizeable revenue on all consoles. Putting these terms for fortnite even with the smaller player base shares would net them more money than pretty much every other game that uses cross play aside from maybe cod for Xbox.

Fortnite has a nearly 50% playerbase on Playstation. This was just leaked a few days ago.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing what the "average player" on each platform does and ignoring that for fortnite 50% of players are on PlayStation isn't how things work at all. If half the hours spent in the game is on PlayStation, but they only see 10% of the money (of the money that goes to platform holders, that is) the discrepancy is too big to ignore. Fortnite is big enough to have a specific negociation and contract, and Epic in particular is known for trying to dodge this type of royalty. Sony's covering their bases and so should the other platform holders. Epic could literally open up a vbucks specific webstore where they're half off and get all the money for themselves, despite using the playerbase and network infrastructure of the platform holders.

but it also impacts the decisions by smaller devs about whether to bring in crossplay

Sony literally wants to get paid for doing nothing even tho someone else is making the money

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Fortnite has a nearly 50% playerbase on Playstation. This was just leaked a few days ago.
Yes now consider fortnites total playerbase, now divide that playerbase per the console breakdown then tell me which multiplayer games generate more revenue right now than fortnite does for each of those consoles?

That small slice of fortnite is still bigger than almost every other cross play multiplayer game.

Oct 25, 2017
Like you can say that this could possibly just be a very specific deal with Epic because Fortnite is just that big.

But when you consider the general probability about it being a standard clause for crossplay in general, which is implied in the leaked full doc considering GDPA, so much more makes sense.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
So, yeah, reading through clause 4, and I don't think there's any way to defend Sony demanding all that data, every month. My head's swivelling at the idea of compiling all that data for one game, never mind a company like Arc Systemworks that could be forced to file monthly reports on several games. This is 100% the reason why Cross-Play is not standard.

Yep. They make it so much of a hassle that it ends up not being worth it for smaller companies.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
[/QUOTE]
also that confirms that is the cross play policy for all publishers, as it says refers to being part of the GDPA (Global Developer Publisher Agreement) which is the standard agreement to make games for PS4.
You know what. That could really be the reason Genshin Impact is split that way.

It probably will be - if it turns out players want to move between the 2 platforms but perhaps already spend more IOS money on PC/IOS then it is not in their interest to switch it on anymore as it may mean money needs to be paid to Sony.