• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Hades is actually more expensive here then before the sale?

I'm pretty sure It had a U$10 regional price before the sale and now its U$13.99. Is this intended?

Also, were Ubisoft games removed? I'm freaking confused by all this.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
here ya go
97adbf1a3f.png

Holy shit. I love Supergiant's output, but that's some real scummy shit. I'm glad I bought it this morning before they decided to raise the price mid sale.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Well we heard Galy changes stuff manually for currency adjustment and such. But surely he didn't pull the trigger prematurely with Hades.
I mean, that says they are in talks with SuperGiant for the change, but this new development makes that change more suspicious lol (as the price now is pretty much the same as the price before Galy "fixed" it).

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's nice to see indie devs can be just as slimy as AAA publishers. I'm suddenly really glad I only paid €6 for Hades now.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
This shit happened with Steam sales also, but I remember companies raising the prices right before sales began, not during.

This had to have been a long time ago, considering I don't honestly remember the last game that this happened to.

And considering it doesn't (seem to) happen anymore on Steam, you'd think Epic would have seen this coming and put something in place to stop it from happening on their store as well.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
This had to have been a long time ago, considering I don't honestly remember the last game that this happened to.

And considering it doesn't (seem to) happen anymore on Steam, you'd think Epic would have seen this coming and put something in place to stop it from happening on their store as well.

I didn't remember exactly when either, so I Google'd it and I'm seeing stuff about it from 2015, 2017, 2018...

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I'm one of the developers of Hades. I wanted to personally apologize for the confusion around the sale pricing -- the lower sale price earlier today was in error. To folks who picked up the game at a reduced price, we're grateful for their support, and we hope they enjoy the game.

To everyone else, the corrected sale price is a 25% discount off of the previous $19.99 retail price (regional pricing varies though should be equivalent). The game's retail price is now $24.99, which we think reflects the game's current value in Early Access based on all the additions and improvements we've made since launch.

I lurk on this forum but haven't posted much, though will keep an eye on this thread if there's anything else I can do at the moment. Really appreciate your understanding here.
Not much to understand really. You guys had the ability to leverage EGS's financing part of the cost of your title. And instead decided to increase the price (in seeming regard to the sale). To get extra cash. And you'll lose out on a lot of sales because of it. It's unfortunate but so was the timing of the price increase.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Bought John Wick and Observation so far. Had no intention of buying either but they seem well priced, even in the UK. Really want to see a good price for Control Borderlands 3 and Satisfactory, but I'm not expecting much.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I'm one of the developers of Hades. I wanted to personally apologize for the confusion around the sale pricing -- the lower sale price earlier today was in error. To folks who picked up the game at a reduced price, we're grateful for their support, and we hope they enjoy the game.

To everyone else, the corrected sale price is a 25% discount off of the previous $19.99 retail price (regional pricing varies though should be equivalent). The game's retail price is now $24.99, which we think reflects the game's current value in Early Access based on all the additions and improvements we've made since launch.

I lurk on this forum but haven't posted much, though will keep an eye on this thread if there's anything else I can do at the moment. Really appreciate your understanding here.
Unless you guys already announced that you would be raising the price today, it's a pretty shit move to raise the price without notice because you suddenly woke up this morning and felt that the game had more value. And then to cover yourself by saying that you may raise the price further once out of early access. Seriously?

NamikazeBurst

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to buy Hades despite not knowing much about it because of the price. Now I will either just not get it and wait for a bundle, PS+, etc when the EGS exclusivity ends, or buy it when the go back on their decision to raise the price.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
From a dev on Supergiants discord

"Hey, we wanted to let you know Hades is currently on sale for $14.99 after discounts on the Epic Games store. Folks can pick it up at www.PlayHades.com. We think there's never been a better time to experience our rogue-like dungeon crawler!

The game's retail price is now $24.99, up from $19.99 at launch, based on continued improvements and additions we've made so far in Early Access, including: an entire new biome, 7 new fully voiced characters including 4 new bosses, hundreds of new fully voiced narrative events, 10 new enemy types, a new weapon, and dozens of new powers and abilities.

All told, we think this new price point reflects the game's current value in Early Access. As we expect to continue in Early Access until sometime next year, it's possible we adjust the price again by the time Early Access is complete. We'll strive to provide plenty of advance notice if that happens. Thank you for your support of this game! "

hmmmmmmmm

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
So, Epic decides to discount games at no cost to devs… and devs respond by spiking prices and withdrawing games.

That really seems like it deserves its own thread. WTF.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Epic: It's sale time!

Supergiant: Ay let us wet our beak a lil' mo
Paradox: ayo we out
Klei: yo we out too

Me: I have no money

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thankfully i managed to snatch hades at the 6 euro price..europe hasn't been the best region to live in for this sale, but at east i got this and afterparty for low.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Other than Hades, how many other games did something similar?

Because it seems like most games were simply cheaper.

Oxygen Not Included and Vampires The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 were both pulled hours after being on discount during the Epic Sale.

something something larger developer cut something something pass on the savings to consumers

my ass.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

Love the work you folks do, but this was a really dissapointing decision.

Between not being particularly interested in in EGS or early access, Hades was on the back burner. Today, I saw the deal and thought, well, let's give this a shot! Get home from work today to find this. Regardless of the rationale, its definitely soured me on picking this up. The timing and decision aren't good ones.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, if Epic is eating the 10 dollars for the devs why are devs pulling out? Ubisoft I could understand cause they have their own store... but why the rest?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I didn't remember exactly when either, so I Google'd it and I'm seeing stuff about it from 2015, 2017, 2018...

Ironically some of those incidents from 2015 involved SteamSpy calling devs out, so I'm even more shocked that Epic didn't account for this possibility.

I don't get it, if Epic is eating the 10 dollars for the devs why are devs pulling out? Ubisoft I could understand cause they have their own store... but why the rest?

Part of the pitch for the Epic store was that sales devalue games, that it conditions consumers to not purchase games at full price, but "wait" for sales to happen, where the dev/pub is getting less than normal per copy sold. And considering EGS is all about the "devs", that cannot do.

These devs probably fear that even this $10 off event will do exactly that maybe? When the sale is over sales will dry up as people "wait it out" for Epic to run another sale.

At least I have to guess that's why.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017

I can't imagine that people are going to be nice on here about this. Edit: We'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA

Sorry, when your team tweets and then raises the price hours later without warning, that is pretty bad.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real reason for the price increase is to fix epics mess. Other studios like Paradox and Klei left the store, Hades can't leave the store because it's not available anywhere else.