• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I can't even tell what I'm supposed to be taking away from this image comparing the prices of Metro Last Light Redux (an old game) to the price of Metro Exodus (a new game that hasn't released yet)?
It's not about the prices, it's about the amount of places that sell the game.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even tell what I'm supposed to be taking away from this image comparing the prices of Metro Last Light Redux (an old game) to the price of Metro Exodus (a new game that hasn't released yet)?
One has multiple storefronts competing in a price war to sell the game. Actual competition.

It's not the one on the Epic store.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

It's not comparing prices between these two games.
It's highlighting how the previous entry, which was on the Steam monopoly, was available on 15 different storefronts, some with different prices, some with discounts, some with different DRM (Origin) or some DRM Free while the latest entry now, which is on the Good Guy Epic Games Store, is sold on one place only, at the highest price.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not about the price
look closely at the image
can you see the difference between the number of available weapons?

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I get it. The highlight of the price on it led me to believe that was the focus.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that image should have quotation marks around monopoly and competition, but that's just me.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Damn Epic Store has no regional pricing for my country and that's really hurt . It used to be only $30 on Steam and now I have to pay $49.99 on Epic store . I would have bought it if the price is the same on Epic store but its not happening now and I believed alot of potential buyers in my region are also turned off . With big hitter like DMCV and Sekiro coming soon , Deep Silver might lose a huge chunk of sales everywhere .

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but again, I don't see how it works.
I have an example right for you. You're going home from work and near the entrance door suddenly realize the urgent need to take a dump. And then remember that toilet paper's all gone in the house. Luckily there's a store on the other side of the street which sells tp. You go there and guess what - the competing storefront made exclusivity deals with tp producers to not sell it in the one near your place. The closest 'competition' store is 30 min of driving away. So you jump in the car, go there and end up buying a detergent cause it's too late for tp anyway.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I have an example right for you. You're going home from work and near the entrance door suddenly realize the urgent need to take a dump. And then remember that toilet paper's all gone in the house. Luckily there's a store on the other side of the street which sells tp. You go there and guess what - the competing storefront made exclusivity deals with tp producers to not sell it in the one near your place. The closest 'competition' store is 30 min of driving away. So you jump in the car, go there and end up buying a detergent cause it's too late for tp anyway.
Haha, I dont think this analogy works like at all, but man did I get a laugh out of it. :"D

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
It's not good what epic are doing...but why exactly does blizzard and EA get a free pass on this shit? Just because it's mostly their own games?

At the end of the day Epic are just doing the same thing but more aggressively.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It's not good what epic are doing...but why exactly does blizzard and EA get a free pass on this shit? Just because it's mostly their own games?

Neither Blizzard or EA is doing what Epic's doing. They're offering their own games as exclusives, which is perfectly acceptable.

Epic's buying third party games that were advertised elsewhere, and making them exclusive to their store.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
That's a false comparison.A game is one type of good, and removing any game from a certain store doesn't mean that all games from that store are gone.

In your example, it would be right to say that your favorite toilet paper is gone from that store but there are more toilet papers to choose from. But you don't want those papers so you start shitting all over the store.

Also, I didn't know that 20 pixels left on your desktop screen equals 30 minutes of driving.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017

Because in the case of blizzard and ea, the games wouldn't exist without them.

In Metro Exodus's case, the game would still very much exist and be sold to consumers even without epic. Epic paid money specifically to make the game unavailable elsewhere, nothing else. Not the same thing at all.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That's a false comparison.A game is one type of good, and removing any game from a certain store doesn't mean that all games from that store are gone.

In your example, it would be right to say that your favorite toilet paper is gone from that store but there are more toilet papers to choose from. But you don't want those papers so you start shitting all over the store.

Also, I didn't know that 20 pixels left on your desktop screen equals 30 minutes of driving.

unknown.png

20 pixels on the left... also 12€... also no cloud saves... also no library sharing... also no controller support... also no VR support... also no communities and guides...
But yeah, juste 20 pixels on the left.
You can turn it in every ways: Removing store choice isn't something that benefits the customer.
You can believe in your "store investment" thing that happens conveniently 2 weeks before release.
But in the end, facts are standing against you.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Rob Fearon (indie dev of Death Ray Manta) posted this nearly 24 hours ago, but so so so worth reading, so if it's a repost, so be it.

Fairness

With Metro, it's nothing more than a reminder that Deep Silver haven't held up their end of the bargain here. That the publisher isn't doing what they agreed to do. And this is serious enough, in Valve's eyes, to be taken public rather than dealt with through back channels.

Deleted member 11943

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was also made and published by Value.

This is why there is no real fuss about Fortnite being exclusive

I see. Interesting that valve doesn't have a contract with the devs that prevented what just happened to them.

They seemed to be able to control fairness here, but let it slip away. It also doesn't seem like 30% is going to be sustainable for them.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Darksiders III is being sold on Steam, Origin and EGS without any exclusivity deals from what I can tell. It would be so interesting to know sales numbers split between these platforms. My guess is 90%/7%/3%.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I see. Interesting that valve doesn't have a contract with the devs that prevented what just happened to them.

They seemed to be able to control fairness here, but let it slip away. It also doesn't seem like 30% is going to be sustainable for them.

Valve doesnt have 30% anymore, not universal. Succesful games would be at 20% and I am pretty sure Metro would fall under that.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No. Removing tp from the store doesn't mean that screwdrivers are gone either, but I'm not sure how sd is going to help with your predicament in my example.

And it's not 20 pixels, it's space on hdd, ram overhead. I don't have either especially for some lazy jerk off client.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Rob Fearon (indie dev of Death Ray Manta) posted this nearly 24 hours ago, but so so so worth reading, so if it's a repost, so be it.

Fairness
While the article is interesting, I don't know about that last bit you quoted. I'd say it's more that they had to inform buyers who pre-ordered the game on Steam than a "we're going public with this!" moment.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017

I think Epic blindsided Valve with that one. With the way they responded I doubt it will happen again.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
No. Removing tp from the store doesn't mean that screwdrivers are gone either, but I'm not sure how sd is going to help with your predicament in my example.

And it's not 20 pixels, it's space on hdd, ram overhead. I don't have either especially for some lazy jerk off client.
Try to understand what I am saying. You analogy is vivid but it's wrong since Metro exodus is not a category of goods, its an exemplar. It's a game, not games.

If you really want this shit analogy to be correct you should compare Metro with toilet paper by one maker which is gone from the store but there are toilet papers from other makers.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
TLDR; People are fucking pissed and they don't want this storefront exclusivity bullcrap.

Excellent, truly excellent. The PC community is united against these practices, it is truly a joy to see the backlash mount with every announcement.

This is killing PC gaming for me. The Steam "competition" is only competing on the easiest part: distributing large files from a CDN. Steam is an actual platform with similar features as a console OS. If Epic or anyone else wants to do *that* better than Valve, I'm interested. Otherwise, it's just making PC gaming more fragmented and complicated.

It will be a temporary situation. It is up to us as customers to make sure that the moneyhat strategy ends up as a miserable failure for Epic.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
While the article is interesting, I don't know about that last bit you quoted. I'd say it's more that they had to inform buyers who pre-ordered the game on Steam than a "we're going public with this!" moment.

I'm not sure they had to, though. I mean, other than being able to buy Metro, there's no difference to that situation and the situation with Ashen. Pub/dev uses Valve's store, gains some marketing and backend tools (like Community), and then pulls game for exclusive deal with Epic. Valve could have just let Metro go silently, but I agree with the article that the "we're going public with this" is a public statement about how pubs/devs should treat their customers.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try to understand what I am saying. You analogy is vivid but it's wrong since Metro exodus is not a category of goods, its an exemplar. It's a game, not games.

If you really want this shit analogy to be correct you should compare Metro with toilet paper by one maker which is gone from the store but there are toilet papers from other makers.
You can jump through hoops all you want. fortnite is just a game, not games, we'll remove it, go play unreal tournament kids - no difference. By the way - news at 11 that game stores sell games.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure they had to, though. I mean, other than being able to buy Metro, there's no difference to that situation and the situation with Ashen. Pub/dev uses Valve's store, gains some marketing and backend tools (like Community), and then pulls game for exclusive deal with Epic. Valve could have just let Metro go silently, but I agree with the article that the "we're going public with this" is a public statement about how pubs/devs should treat their customers.
There's a difference: Ashen was never available for pre-order on Steam (or anywhere else for that matter). It simply switched stores one day and was suddenly released on EGS.

But you could pre-order Metro Exodus on Steam before Koch decided to go exclusive. Thus why Valve had to inform people who already bought the game on their platform. I read it as "We're sorry this is happening, but rest assured that your purchase is valid."

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It will be a temporary situation. It is up to us as customers to make sure that the moneyhat strategy ends up as a miserable failure for Epic.

I'm afraid the trendlines are going in the wrong direction. Bethesda is going their own way for Rage2. Activision is distributing their PC games via BattleNet. Virtually every big publisher is moving toward their own distribution for PC, and now Epic is making deals for the mid-tier developers. Even if Valve came down further on their revenue cut, it's not clear these publishers are ever coming back to Steam.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm afraid the trendlines are going in the wrong direction. Bethesda is going their own way for Rage2. Activision is distributing their PC games via BattleNet. Virtually every big publisher is moving toward their own distribution for PC, and now Epic is making deals for the mid-tier developers. Even if Valve came down further on their revenue cut, it's not clear these publishers are ever coming back to Steam.

We'll see. The trendlines may be going in one direction but the factor that will ultimately decide things is the audience's willingness to follow them.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I doubt it. Exclusivity is the only reason someone would buy a game on Epic store rather than Steam right now. Once people buy into the ecosystem buying other games on there will be easier. It was a smart move but not a popular one.
Given the choice, I'll buy on Epic because the developers get a bigger slice of the pie than they do on Steam.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
We'll see. The trendlines may be going in one direction but the factor that will ultimately decide things is the audience's willingness to follow them.

IMO the audience for console-style AAA games on PC will just get smaller because of all these launchers. Being a PC gamer now means installing at least 8 different distribution apps (Steam, Origin, BattleNet, Uplay, GOG, Bethesda, Epic, and MS/Windows Store) each with their own account and separate friends list, afaik all running background services on your PC. It's not tenable, and I'm a tech person.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
As opposed to you, I'm actually not made of money. And eastern EU traditionally gets shit for regional pricing, so...
Oh, I'm hardly made of money, but if I'm investing in a game of that price, I'd rather the money go to the people who made it, not the storefront that's blackmailing them.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I'm hardly made of money, but if I'm investing in a game of that price, I'd rather the money go to the people who made it, not the storefront that's blackmailing them.
How do you know the devs get bigger cut?
It's not like 4A for example is self-publishing so how do you know how much of that extra cut the devs are going to see?
So this basically makes your argument moot but that is to be expected from people shitting on Steam without arguments and proclaim a company that is notoriously bad about security and is partly owned by a Chinese mega corp as the saviour of the PC gaming space.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now I am imagining Gabe flying some indie devs to his fortress and showing them his massive knife collection while winking suggestively.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Even with Steam users protesting, nothing will change in the foreeable future. Epic has the money to throw around and developers/publishers will bite, the price is the only matter here. Tencent might be pushing some strings here too.

I guess it's battle of attrition, only when Epic sees they are 100% rejected in the long term, they might concede.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
How do you know the devs get bigger cut?
It's not like 4A for example is self-publishing so how do you know how much of that extra cut the devs are going to see?
So this basically makes your argument moot but that is to be expected from people shitting on Steam without arguments and proclaim a company that is notoriously bad about security and is partly owned by a Chinese mega corp as the saviour of the PC gaming space.
True, that's another issue in regards to how revenue is dispersed between publisher and developer though, but it's also unrelated. As far as the storefronts are concerned, Epic only charges 12% on game sales vs Steam's 30% cut. That money may ultimately not end up in the developers hands, but I'd still prefer it go to the publisher rather than Valve for basically sitting on their ass.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
True, that's another issue in regards to how revenue is dispersed between publisher and developer though, but it's also unrelated. As far as the storefronts are concerned, Epic only charges 12% on game sales vs Steam's 30% cut. That money may ultimately not end up in the developers hands, but I'd still prefer it go to the publisher rather than Valve for basically sitting on their ass.
Sure if you ignore Valve giving devs Steam keys which they can sell and keep 100% of the revenue.