Do you want Biden to win the 2020 Democratic Primary?

• Yes

Votes: 220 10.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,899 89.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
No, there are a lot better candidates in the field as is (Warren), but if it came down to it in the GE, I'd vote for him over Trump.

Then again, I would vote for an inanimate object over Trump.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Fuck no. Neoliberals capitalists are not going to solve the fundamental problems in this country. I'll vote for him if he wins the primary because it's the optimal decision, but I won't be happy about it in the slightest.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Still think this reasoning is bullshit. Biden isn't going excite people that sat on their ass last time, and I'm pretty sure that's a bigger group than the shitty centrists that defected to Trump. It's the exact same kind of self-delusion the Democrats talked themselves into in '04 when they nominated Kerry.

You're referring to this.

I don't think there will be a repeat this time, even if it's someone like Biden.

The difference this time is that people will turn out for the Candidate regardless because of fear of another 4 years of Trump. I bet even a lot of posters who say they won't vote for Biden will end up voting in the General just because.

So I don't think that Biden is the only one who can win. Recent polls seem to show Bernie or Warren winning in the necessary Wall states one on one vs Trump.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
i put it at the feet of every person who claims to care about this world to not go to sleep or play defense of his mediocre job in the white house just because he's a Democrat and the party affiliation he's apart of is on paper supposed to be opposite the GOP. I want the exact same people at his throat and the throat of his administration in the same way they are for Trump. He's counting on people simply seeing Trump as the anomaly and everything can go back to status quo as usual if he loses where he can do deals with the GOP to screw us, he's said as much.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I think the reason Biden has a lot of support is because they have no desire to be engaged in long-term struggles. They have no desire to be engaged in the kind of ground game passing Medicare for All would require, or overhauling the education system, raising minimum wage or wiping out student debt, if they wanted things that'd be hard and require public support they wouldn't be for Biden in the first place. They're probably mostly in positions where things don't effect them much one way or another and just want the President of the United States to not make an ass of himself all the time. I think above all they just want to be able to give the President the benefit of the doubt, kids locked up in cages, hey, he's always said mostly nice things about immigrants, selling weapons to SA to bomb Yemen, always talks nice about Muslims, States' blocking women's access to abortions, don't look at him he doesn't agree with it, nothing will be his fault and on and on it'll go.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
There are at least... a half-dozen better candidates in the Primary.

If the Dems end up with Biden, they deserve everything they get.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harris > Warren > Biden > I dont care anymore.

I'm curious as to the relevance of this?
There are people in this thread who think this poll is representative of anything more than showing how much of an out of touch bubble ERA is. Pointing out the skewed demographics of this site is one way to illustrate that fact.

OP
OP
Steel

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are people in this thread who think this poll is representative of anything more than showing how much of an out of touch bubble ERA is. Pointing out the skewed demographics of this site is one way to illustrate that fact.
Rule of thumb: Anyone who posts online about politics is generally out of touch with average voters' opinions and knowledge base. Doubly so if they do so regularly.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rule of thumb: Anyone who posts online about politics is generally out of touch with average voters' opinions and knowledge base. Doubly so if they do so regularly.
Which is why its unfortunate that people think this poll is worth anything and that it has to be explained why its not.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will support the Democratic nominee whomever it is. I'm not answering your poll it's way too early to say who I want. There hasn't been a single debate yet.

OP
OP
Steel

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why its unfortunate that people think this poll is worth anything and that it has to be explained why its not.

Oh, the poll answers the question of what era thinks, but no more than that. I just got tired of seeing posts retread "Era actually loves Biden" and stuff like that.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Why should the Republicans be the only ones with a dumb senile old racist groper for a candidate?

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I will also vote for the Democratic nominee (as long as it isn't Gabbard) but Biden probably ranks probably 17th or 18th in the field for me.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
A lot of these comments are "No, I don't want him to win, but...I want him to win"

We all know Biden will beat Trump

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
He's not my preference but if/when he takes the primary I'm gonna become the world's biggest Joe Biden cheerleader.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of these comments are "No, I don't want him to win, but...I want him to win"

We all know Biden will beat Trump

I wouldn't make that assumption given what happened in 2016.

I think Biden is an overall better candidate than Hillary in terms of electability but I'm not going to assume anything at this point because truthfully, I never thought Trump could win the first time.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
1. No

2. Hell no

I don't think he's very 'tough', and I think Bernie would hold up much better against Trump in debates/election

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. I can list at least 5 better candidates. The lesson to be learned should not be a "return to normalcy" but structural change to this broken country, and that Biden doesn't want to acknowledge this remains my greatest annoyance.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
No, but I'd 100% vote for him if he's the nominee. And I think he's one of the top few with the best chance of beating Trump given the central importance of Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Oct 28, 2017
Haha no. The person that wanted to keep minorities segregated? The crime bill? The person who keeps older white people feeling "safe"? I'd take bernie and warren. Not him.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Everything being said here will be used against Biden by both Trump and democrats if he makes it through.

And it'll be just as stupid to fall for it then as it is now. Biden is quite imperfect. He's far from my ideal candidate. But if he's the thing that keeps the US from sliding further toward fascism and right wing fanaticism, then Biden is my choice.

Life is a series of compromises. Biden is a compromise I'm happy to make when the alternative is literally one of the worst human beings I can imagine being in the white house.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
He has the best chance of winning since Beto failed to pickup steam

This. Have absolutely no clue what happened with Beto, but he's clearly not ready to be running for President, and should really just drop out and reconsider another state level race for the sake of the party. No solid policies, and his current views are inconsistent with his political activity while in office. Buttigieg has pretty much become what I thought Beto would be, even with his electability concerns in more conservative states due to his sexuality (which I don't even think is really an issue, because once people hear him speak, they start not to even care if they did so previously).

As far as Biden goes, he's absolutely not my favorite in the race, and I think he has a history of being on the wrong side of issues and causing real damage to parts of the Democratic constituency. However, I've been mostly satisfied with his Obama years politics and I'd even say he's redeemed himself from his 90s and 00s political career. I think a vote for Biden is a vote for a one term presidency due to his age and brand of politics, but that's okay with me. We don't need two terms from every President, but the office should stay in the hands of the Democrats as long as the right running mate or follow up candidate is picked.

I'd want him to win for the main reason that as the election nears and people start to fall into party lines, he has enough crossover appeal with moderate Republicans and independents to carry some of the midwestern states needed to win. That's what a win really boils down for the Dems.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes but what is the commonality between his age, 538 and the general concept of polling?

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate Biden but if he's the nominee then yeah I'll vote for him. Voting for Bernie or Warren in the primary though.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Poll options are too reductive.

Need an option for "I will grudgingly vote for him if he is the nominee".

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Biden sucks and we're probably going to lose this country to global warming, but, if he wins the primary he has my vote.

TL;DR: No.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I'd prefer that he didn't as I think the American left is clamoring for fresh faces.

I'd still vote for him with zero hesitation over president mini-hands though.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
D8KUnVWXYAE9MTj.jpg:large

www.nytimes.com

Biden’s First Run for President Was a Calamity. Some Missteps Still Resonate. (Published 2019)

In 1988, Joe Biden was prone to embellishment. Hints of that linger today. But unlike then, his message to voters is clear: He’s a stabilizing statesman in a tumultuous time.

Upsettingly large amount of "yes" votes, imo

Status
Not open for further replies.