ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very LTTP with SCP stuff and, predictably, getting into it because of Control.

Is my best bet just reading them on the website? Is there a decent eBook collection or anything? I tried to listen to a few podcasts that read them but they were fairly bad.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Just read them on the site, there's often stuff that doesn't translate well into other media. Like the redacted parts, that would be annoying in audio form and clickable links and hidden stuff obviously don't work in ebooks.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I'm very LTTP with SCP stuff and, predictably, getting into it because of Control.

Is my best bet just reading them on the website? Is there a decent eBook collection or anything? I tried to listen to a few podcasts that read them but they were fairly bad.

Can just read them from the wiki, and come here if you are looking for any recommendations. If you want someone to read them to you the Volgun channel is pretty good. He even makes his own 3D models for the ones he covers.

Here's his channel:
Volgun
I also like what Tats TopVideos do with their production
Tats TopVideos

Don't pass on the tales as well on the site. Some real amazing ones in there.

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can also check them out through video series, such as the Exploring Series.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish

I knew next to nothing about that game when it arrived in my mailbox from Gamefly. Within the first few minutes I was like 'is this SCP: The Game?'

Oct 25, 2017
The Exploring Series is great. It covers the very basics, to the most famous ones, to the best ones, to the really obscure lore ideas like Pattern Screamers.

He does a good job explaining the story, the meaning and any themes. Hes also a fairly good but flowery writer

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Don't worry about feeling overwhelmed with this stuff. I've been into this since 08 when someone on the scary image thread in the WoW Burning Crusade forums linked the pic of 173. I've still only read the first 2 series and a bit of the 3rd with a few new entries here and there, and a couple series of tales. Just take in what you want at your own pace.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's literally like thousands of these damn things now. It's nuts.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why but the other day I couldn't stop thinking about that really dumb SCP that just yells "MUAHAHAHA... YOU HAVE BECOME... SINISTER!!!!!" if you stick your hand in it (it makes you left handed) and broke when an ambidexterous person tried to use it.

What a great SCP.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I actually discovered SCP yesterday randomly and have been hooked. The one that stood out the most in my limited reading was SCP-049, the "Plague Doctor" entity that believed it was singularly suited to rid humanity of a nebulous "pestilence" which it can't be bothered to fully explain. Excellent, creepy read, that story.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I actually discovered SCP yesterday randomly and have been hooked. The one that stood out the most in my limited reading was SCP-049, the "Plague Doctor" entity that believed it was singularly suited to rid humanity of a nebulous "pestilence" which it can't be bothered to fully explain. Excellent, creepy read, that story.

One of my favorites.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So I finally started reading about this universe and familiarizing myself via a little bit of the wiki and YouTube (mostly Exploring series) and I gotta say I am slightly amused by how many world-ending threats there are in this setting.

Someone should troll 682 and tell it how it should "get in line".

Between this universe and Warhammer 40k, I'm not sure which one of them is more doomed.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
So I finally started reading about this universe and familiarizing myself via a little bit of the wiki and YouTube (mostly Exploring series) and I gotta say I am slightly amused by how many world-ending threats there are in this setting.

Someone should troll 682 and tell it how it should "get in line".

Between this universe and Warhammer 40k, I'm not sure which one of them is more doomed.

And some of them are just a slight fuck up of containment and everything is over.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
There are quite a few SCPs where it's like, wait, how did it not destroy the world long before the Foundation existed?

But it's fun so I don't worry about it.

Oct 25, 2017
about the sheer number of possible or in some canons, tales and entries ongoing K-class end of the world scenarios i always really liked this part of SCP-2399

So, SCP-2399.

Have you ever sat and wondered, maybe after you hear about a car accident on a street you were just on, or a bombing in a city you were visiting, just how lucky you are to be alive? Just how many things have to go right for you to continue to exist? A few seconds too late, a few seconds too early, and somebody reaches for something they dropped and a busload of people run into another busload of people. Sometimes this kind of thing does happen, as we've seen, far too often. But that's what we're here for. To protect those who can't protect themselves from things that they wouldn't even know to protect themselves from.

We can't do it all, though. As many things as we've been able to contain, as many things as we've been able to keep under lock that would threaten to destroy us all, still far too many remain that we can't do anything about. Whether they're too big, or too fast, or too powerful, any of these things could blink and wipe humanity from existence. The fact that they haven't done so yet is just luck. SCP-2399, however, is different.

We have little information regarding SCP-2399's motives, origins, and full capabilities. We do not understand how it is capable of communicating over such large distances, or why those who constructed it (if it was, in fact, constructed) sent it to us in the first place. We do not know what would happen if SCP-2399 is able to fully repair itself, or if part of our array would break down and a message would get through. We do not know this, so we must assume the worst. Judging by what we've seen, were SCP-2399 to have reached Earth, it would have led to our timely destruction.

But sometimes humanity gets a little help. Sometimes something steps in the way of the apocalypse. For us, and for SCP-2399, it was Jupiter. As SCP-2399 began to slow on its approach to Earth, Cassini saw what we've been able to ascertain; that SCP-2399 struck Io, was damaged, and was unable to escape the gravitational pull of Jupiter. Its weapons activated as they were intended, but it was Jupiter that experienced doomsday, not us.

Eventually, though, it's likely that SCP-2399 will resume full functionality, and will likely be able to pull away from Jupiter and proceed to its target. As of now, we can keep hurling bombs and EMPs at it all we want, but we've got no indication that any of it will so much as scratch the thing, on the contrary, experience dictates it would do nothing at all. If this were to happen now, we would undoubtedly be destroyed.

Jupiter has given us time. For now, SCP-2399 will remain there, reassembling itself, while we devise some way to stop it. Like it or not, we are in an arms race with this thing. Our best guesses give us something like 25 years until it is able to hear past our dampening array. Until then, we must seize the opportunity that has been laid before us. We must use the time we have been given, and not let it be wasted.

So we devised Protocol LEGIONNAIRE. One gigantic EMP, powered by god-knows-what, followed by a volley of nukes big enough to wipe out our civilization a thousand times over. A blunt plan, and simple, and likely futile. Our researchers, and researchers around the globe, have yet to devise even a way to deliver that kind of pulse, let alone a way to power it. There is no indication whatsoever that we will be able to complete LEGIONNAIRE on time, or if it will do what is intended once it is completed. But we must try. We must do something. Even if we have to drain our banks and empty our mines, we must try.

Not often do we get a chance to see the swerving bus that will end our lives, and step out of the way. Jupiter, unknowingly, has offered us that chance. I suggest we take it.

Just the probability miracle that allows life on Earth to continually exist even in our reality is already almost anomalous.

There are quite a few SCPs where it's like, wait, how did it not destroy the world long before the Foundation existed?

Because of SCP-2000, its likely that some things have already done it.

But on the other hand, 2000 only works if theres an Earth or reality left.

Last edited:

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

I like to think that it's all just a timey-wimey squirmy mess of a mutiverse and every apocalypse happened in some branch. If some things seems literally incompatible, they probably don't exist together.

It reminds me of how one of the 001 proposals features a researcher noticing the database cannot possibly describe a single coherent universe and when they try to sort things into a coherent canon, shit goes down.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
No telling of when or where they came from either. Could be from space, bleed over from another reality, dimension or just some sort of glitch in reality.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorites used to be the epic, class ZK Apollyon entries or the ones that hint at bigger things, like the ones related to the Sarkics, but my new favorite is 4999. It's so stripped down and humanly melancholy.

Oct 25, 2017
My favorites used to be the epic, class ZK Apollyon entries or the ones that hint at bigger things, like the ones related to the Sarkics, but my new favorite is 4999. It's so stripped down and humanly melancholy.

I've learned to love both the sprawling Apollyon and K class stories (although I still dislike the designation and idea of being 1. Uncontainable 2. Actively causing a K class scenario and being so dangerous and encompassing that every other SCP seems to be a mere distraction, and almost requires it's own canon to even exist ) like When Day Breaks or O, Death.

But also I really love the singular and personal stories like Red Reality.

What's great about SCP is it's possible to care about the multiple apocalyptic end wars between Mekhane and Yaldabaoth, the Church of the 2nd Hytoth and the Pattern, the Scarlet King and everything else while also caring about things that effect just one person.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not either. Ticonderoga and Maksur should roll into Keter with a clarification or just be marked as None or unknown

Thaumiel is fine.

Apollyon is used in good SCP articles but it really does turn into a power level showoff and thing of singular important and theres plenty of Keter class things that would match the criteria of uncontainable and actively causing a K class scenario, mostly space related ones like 2399 and whatever the Booted Void is. The author of 2317 which popularized Apollyon even changed the name to just "Irrelevant"

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Apollyon should be used in skips where things have already ready gone bad and it's a post mortem entry basically.