gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Isn't Tarkov just a pay to win counter strike?

Why would anyone play competitive p2w games anyways? Completely defeats the purpose. Would be like me racing Usain Bolt but starting at the 50 meter line. Yeah I might win but my victory isn't worth the shit I took this morning.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Tarkov just a pay to win counter strike?

Why would anyone play competitive p2w games anyways? Completely defeats the purpose. Would be like me racing Usain Bolt but starting at the 50 meter line. Yeah I might win but my victory isn't worth the shit I took this morning.
No, not all. At least not before this. Tarkov is among the hardest of hardcore tactical shooters. Minimal ui. Tons of mechanics. Heavy bullet simulation.

The reason this is such a big deal is because it's a bit of a betrayal of what the game stands for.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've been pretty adamant about refusing to snag this game for a while now because I've always gotten a pretty distinct "ick" from the way it's managed, sold and ran and this shit just really cements that stance for me.

A good reminder here that it's not just massive AAA publishers that are capable of holding their players upside down and trying to shake the pennies out of their pockets.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone expects them to learn from this, change course or change internally.

Yesterday:

View: https://twitter.com/evasion_gg/status/1784739919220351159
We have produced over 200 Tarkov shows but if you've wondered why we haven't been as active as we once were it's because we will not be railroaded into doing events that we don't believe in.

What happened to the Tarkov community over the past week is what's been happening to us for the last two years dealing with BSG. Promises not kept, gas lighting, event cancelations, control issues, blatant nepotism, all while wasting our time money and efforts. This year we found out how terribly they have been treating the smaller event orgs as well. Now this treatment has spread to the player base.

We've held back sharing this information but seeing how the community was treated as a whole recently was too much.

We will not create Tarkov events until we see things truly change.
#tarkov
The owner this morning.

View: https://x.com/sigma_ink/status/1784910642601767206

Woke up this morning to being booted from the #Tarkov emissary channels and Telegram. No direct messages, though I'm not surprised. I was aware of the risk I took speaking up about how
@evasion_gg
has been treated.

Cheers to 2 years as a Sherpa, and then almost 4 as an Emissary. It was my honor to help those learn the game, report issues, test Arena and bring on multiple other Sherpas and Emissaries. I hope none of them are ever put in the position I was.

Nothing but love for those truly trying to help the community, not just help themselves.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So how does the game normally work? If someone buys the $50 edition, are they able to upgrade to the $82 edition? Or can you only upgrade with certain editions?

Also, I just saw that each edition has an increased stash size the higher you go up. Isn't that essentially just pay to win given what the game is about?

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Played SPT with a few mods this weekend and I'm blown away. I don't think I could go back to playing live. It's such a better experience and the AI is amazing.

KRT

Aug 7, 2020
So how does the game normally work? If someone buys the $50 edition, are they able to upgrade to the $82 edition? Or can you only upgrade with certain editions?

Also, I just saw that each edition has an increased stash size the higher you go up. Isn't that essentially just pay to win given what the game is about?
Its debatable whether thats P2W since it doesnt help you in a direct fight with an enemy player. It's been a long debate within the Tarkov community whether the game's p2w or not. Personally I feel like its more of a pay for convienience than p2w however I cant imagine playing on standard edition.

Also, I feel like the edition they removed (Edge of Darkness) was the only one worth spending your money on even tho it was the most expensive one due to the stash size AND gamma container (you dont lose items put into it when you die) since gamma is unobtainable in the game at all unless you bought EoD or now Unheard ed. There's a Kappa container with more slots than gamma but it involves an extremly long grind, you essentially had to beat the game to get it so why would you need it at that point anyway.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Going to be honest, since the original news and the ridiculous response, this went from something that I would play to something I wouldn't play even if it was free.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Saw a bunch of posts on the reddit about how this was basically a giant cash grab because arena bombed and they are short on cash. Obviously it's a forum of angry people talking alot of hot air, but I wonder how close to reality it is considering just how blatantly their actions have been

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Its debatable whether thats P2W since it doesnt help you in a direct fight with an enemy player. It's been a long debate within the Tarkov community whether the game's p2w or not. Personally I feel like its more of a pay for convienience than p2w however I cant imagine playing on standard edition.

Also, I feel like the edition they removed (Edge of Darkness) was the only one worth spending your money on even tho it was the most expensive one due to the stash size AND gamma container (you dont lose items put into it when you die) since gamma is unobtainable in the game at all unless you bought EoD or now Unheard ed. There's a Kappa container with more slots than gamma but it involves an extremly long grind, you essentially had to beat the game to get it so why would you need it at that point anyway.
If you get the entry level edition can you eventually upgrade to the others if you wanted to? Or do you have to jump in all at once.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a bunch of posts on the reddit about how this was basically a giant cash grab because arena bombed and they are short on cash. Obviously it's a forum of angry people talking alot of hot air, but I wonder how close to reality it is considering just how blatantly their actions have been

I wouldnt at all be surprised if thats part of the story.

Its so weird. BGS has this great formula people have come to love. But they continuously make the dumbest decisions. And seem to be clueless on how to make the game better as there are still issues from years ago still plaguing the game.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Come on now, "I'm sorry that you're angry" is a textbook example of how not to PR (it's literally in my old comms textbook).

KRT

Aug 7, 2020
If you get the entry level edition can you eventually upgrade to the others if you wanted to? Or do you have to jump in all at once.
Yes you can pay the difference and upgrade however its not "worth it" unless you upgrade to Unheard (abd thats a scam and not worth it due to its ridiculous price) since its the only one with Gamma now. The other editions give you containers you can get through playing the game, you just upgrade them as you go.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
If it was this reasoning it'd be very funny cause if they tarkov on steam it'd be #1 seller for months. Friends have had so many problems with their shitty payment methods

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
That is literally unacceptable. Do the devs really think their little PvE campaign is worth more than a revolutionary AAA game built with the latest advancements in game and graphics design ($70)? $250? That's absurd.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They backtracked it by saying Edge of Darkness edition owners will eventually get in in waves, but you cant buy EoD anymore so unless you bought it before they removed it you are out of luck and have to buy the 250 euro one.
Wait so it is still fucking $250 for the mode?

That's absolutely ridiculous. I hope the whole thing flops.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be honest, since the original news and the ridiculous response, this went from something that I would play to something I wouldn't play even if it was free.
makes me appreciate Sean Murray, the man has remade the game damn near 3 times over, for free

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yeah SPT has been absolutely amazing. I bounced off the game hard at launch because I was so bad at it and got hard carried by my friends lmao
there's a ton of mods for bad players to enjoy

radar
head and thorax can't drop below 1 hp (you can and will still bleed out)
you can set insured items to be returned immediately.
I'm so hooked now

Edit: oh can't forget the greatest mod of all, pausing the game lol

Last edited:

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017

Dear players,
We have come to the following conclusion regarding the list of changes and additions to the various editions of the game. Feel free to give your feedback.
For owners of the Edge of Darkness edition:
  • Access to co-op PvE mode with persistent progression (access will be given out in waves, we plan to start it tomorrow);
  • Faster insurance return;
  • Increased personal trader purchase limits by 20%;
  • Increased starting PMC karma (after it is implemented);
  • Access to a special stimulant craft;
  • Increased Charisma skill level;
  • "Nostalgia" quest line;
  • Unique PMC dogtag;
  • Unique armband;
  • Unique item with call-in mechanics - "Legacy" device:
    • Ability to call in a friendly BTR, once called, the item will go into cooldown.
  • Unique PMC upper and lower clothing;
  • Ability to replace 2 daily tasks per day for free;
  • Ability to change nickname icon and color.
For owners of the Standard, Prepare for Escape, and Left Behind editions:
  • Increased stash size by two lines;
  • Ability to purchase access to PvE mode separately.
For owners of The Unheard Edition:
  • Unique radio-electronic item "Mark of The Unheard" - will be active only in PvE mode;
  • Unique item "Distress signal device" - will be available in both PvP and PvE modes. The item must be recharged in Hideout using high-end items;
  • A $50 coupon for Escape from Tarkov purchases (editions, expansions) for those who have upgraded from Edge of Darkness to The Unheard Edition with the old price;
  • Access to Escape from Tarkov: Arena for those who purchased the edition at full price;
  • Unique PMC upper clothing - Cultist jacket;
  • Unique PMC dogtag;
For owners of all editions other than The Unheard Edition:
  • Ability to obtain the items "Mark of The Unheard" and "Distress signal device" through in-game quests;
  • Ability to obtain expanded PMC pockets through in-game quests.
For owners of all editions other than Edge of Darkness:
  • Ability to obtain the "Legacy" device through in-game quest;
  • Ability to replace 1 daily task per day for free;
The ping limit for PvE mode will be removed for all editions.
We will inform you in advance about the order and time of appearance of all these changes.
Thank you and have a great day!
Dev team
The ability for buyers of the $250 pack to change their nickname icon and the color of it reminds me of hiding your checkmark on twitter.
Also, the ability of EOD owners to call in a BTR?
The infantry fighting vehicle with a autocannon on top?
Standard edition players are just boned.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
In case shit wasnt fucked up enough. I heard from a couple streamers last night apparently cheaters found a way to get into the PVE mode to kill people lol.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
BSG is quading down on P2W elements as new normal in Tarkov.

For owners of the Edge of Darkness edition:
  • Access to co-op PvE mode with persistent progression (access will be given out in waves, we plan to start it tomorrow);
  • Faster insurance return; (gear back quicker after death, if not looted by others)
  • Increased personal trader purchase limits by 20%; (many end-game ammos are limited by how much you can buy them from vendors per vendor reset, 20% increase is HUGE)
  • Increased starting PMC karma (after it is implemented);
  • Access to a special stimulant craft; (super med incoming?)
  • Increased Charisma skill level;
  • "Nostalgia" quest line;
  • Unique PMC dogtag;
  • Unique armband;
  • Unique item with call-in mechanics - "Legacy" device:
    • Ability to call in a friendly BTR, once called, the item will go into cooldown. (WTF?!?)
  • Unique PMC upper and lower clothing;
  • Ability to replace 2 daily tasks per day for free;
For owners of the Standard, Prepare for Escape, and Left Behind editions:
  • Increased stash size by two lines;
  • Ability to purchase access to PvE mode separately.
For owners of The Unheard Edition:
  • Unique radio-electronic item "Mark of The Unheard" - will be active only in PvE mode; (GOOD!)
  • Unique item "Distress signal device" - will be available in both PvP and PvE modes. The item must be recharged in Hideout using high-end items;
  • A $50 coupon for Escape from Tarkov purchases (editions, expansions) for those who have upgraded from Edge of Darkness to The Unheard Edition with the old price;
  • Access to Escape from Tarkov: Arena for those who purchased the edition at full price;
  • Unique PMC upper clothing - Cultist jacket;
  • Unique PMC dogtag;
For owners of all editions other than The Unheard Edition:
  • Ability to obtain the items "Mark of The Unheard" and "Distress signal device" through in-game quests;
  • Ability to obtain expanded PMC pockets through in-game quests.
For owners of all editions other than Edge of Darkness:
  • Ability to obtain the "Legacy" device through in-game quest;
  • Ability to replace 1 daily task per day for free;

In case shit wasnt fucked up enough. I heard from a couple streamers last night apparently cheaters found a way to get into the PVE mode to kill people lol.

There is also some glitches that allow you to transfer loot gained in PvE to your PvEvP character.