• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hell no. Basic info needs to be in OP.

Are we becoming so lazy that we can't google a name now? Also just for reference this was a continuation of another thread that was about his Twitter ban. The OP was more of a "emergency was unfolding" rather than a complete bio about the person (notice that the OP was edited). I believe the Twitter ban thread had info about who he was.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Forcibly placed in a mental hospital after deleting his channel because friends...."

This doesnt sound right. I'm not from the US so have no understanding of any US Mental Health legislation, but surely it's not that easy to get forcibly detained into a facility? Wouldnt there be some sort of "assessment" before this occurs? Even if "friends" raised concerns, wouldnt those concerns need to be validated/assessed prior to admission??

Also, does the US still use the term "Mental Hospital"??? Genuine question.

Cant speak for New York but in Florida there is a law called the "Baker Aact" where you can get an involuntary commitment but there is an examination while you are being committed.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had his stream on in the background and he was very much apologetic for what he did and how he gave people the wrong impression. On the whole I disagree with him just burning his entire YouTube account down but he says it had nothing to do with getting more attention. That doesn't even make sense. He was already getting closer and closer to 1M Subscribers.

As for the above screenshots, whether they are by him or not they certainly aren't anything that looks genuine. Regardless of how wacky the dude has acted on streams and videos the last thing he has displayed is anything hateful. In fact he's come of as very welcoming to basically anyone, this is something he was even talking about on his stream today. I am well aware that people are capable of lying and "hiding who they really are" I can't say he done much to prove to me he is that kind of person.

While I think it's reasonable to give him some grief for being incredibly stupid in the events this weekend I think assuming everything he does has a malicious ulterior motive is ridiculous.

Llazy07

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been watching his whole stream but I'm pretty sure this dude's on some Kanye shit. The way he's been acting kind of reminds me of the shit Kanye's been pulling lately.
Also, he was posting shit like this:
Qsjhs9z.png

A1WY319.png
what video are those comments from

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
Sounds like bullshit to me. Only an idiot wouldn't know what they're doing with the language he used.

So he wants to kill off Etika but still uses a very similar name on Twitch? I call shenanigans.

Whole thing comes off as a stunt to me. And the people around him seem like bullshit too.
He made that Twitch acc a while ago after Youtube blocked him from streaming for a copyright violation or something

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Social media personalities are still people. The content they produce takes time, attention, and energy... All of this is incredibly finite. And at the end of the day, we are not seeing what's going on behind the curtains. Youtube is more than just a social media platform, it is used for a number of things outside of that--that isn't really offered anywhere else. But for people like Etika it's a job and man, sounds like this took a toll on him and he could not handle it anymore.

Based off what I am reading, Etika has completely lost his sense of self and this is tragic because I know what it is like trying to please everyone or put your needs aside, and I've seen it happen to people before. Sounds like he needs to grow as a person right now... and run his channel just isn't conducive with his goal to grow. He could have went about this better--but that's life, we do not know what happened and what got him here and caused this abrupt wave of abnormal behavior and such.

Not gonna give him a pass for some of the dumb shit he posted online, but I hope he gets his shit together. All this ain't worth it if you're unhappy and empty inside. Keemstar is scum, but his comment that was seemingly a throwaway about Youtubers struggling with mental health pushes me to believe that Etika definitely isn't the only one that has or will have these issues.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Social media personalities are still people. The content they produce takes time, attention, and energy... All of this is incredibly finite. And at the end of the day, we are not seeing what's going on behind the curtains. Youtube is more than just a social media platform, it is used for a number of things outside of that--that isn't really offered anywhere else. But for people like Etika it's a job and man, sounds like this took a toll on him and he could not handle it anymore.

Based off what I am reading, Etika has completely lost his sense of self and this is tragic because I know what it is like trying to please everyone or put your needs aside, and I've seen it happen to people before. Sounds like he needs to grow as a person right now... and run his channel just isn't conducive with his goal to grow. He could have went about this better--but that's life, we do not know what happened and what got him here and caused this abrupt wave of abnormal behavior and such.

Not gonna give him a pass for some of the dumb shit he posted online, but I hope he gets his shit together. All this ain't worth it if you're unhappy and empty inside. Keemstar is scum, but his comment that was seemingly a throwaway about Youtubers struggling with mental health pushes me to believe that Etika definitely isn't the only one that has or will have these issues.
One of the biggest issues in regards to streaming, and this is something Danny of Game Grumps touched on in an interview recently, is that there's nobody to tell you to "stop." Other actors, musicians, entertainers, etc, at the end of the day they get to go home and rest. They're told to clock out and/or go home. There's no such thing for someone who streams. You're always "on," and you ALWAYS have to make content, otherwise your spot can be taken in an instant. Burnout is a very real thing, and it's not surprising that it happened with Etika from what little I saw of the archives posted above.

Granted, this isn't me giving him a pass. He said and did some incredibly stupid shit and I hope he gets raked over the coals for it. But at the same time, I get that it's hard when you lose your sense of self.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me is willing to bet the twitch ban is due to twitch being ohh so uncomfortable when we (read any Black person) uses the word Nigga I faintly remember that alot in the FGC had to self censor ourselves due to it.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Who the hell is etika ?

*edit*: It's a legit question and not a "inflammatory drive-by post", there is zero context in OP. You just learn me it was a youtuber via warning details, I don't watch them at all.
Fair question, I have no idea who this is and the OP doesn't help in that regard. In any case, seems like a streamer of some kind, hopefully they pull through whatever is happening.. depression is scary.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
Part of me is willing to bet the twitch ban is due to twitch being ohh so uncomfortable when we (read any Black person) uses the word Nigga I faintly remember that alot in the FGC had to self censor ourselves due to it.

He said both the N and F word multiple time in his stream ... some peoples just never learn.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
His breakdown is clearly caused by his activities online, so good job on Twitch and YouTube (Twitter? Did they ban him too).
Keep him off until he can get the help he needs, and even after that I don't think they should let him back because these issues can quickly come back again. He needs to find time outside his computer and games.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I remember how everyone was defending him a week ago from being banned on twitch for using the Nword. And now everyone hates him.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His breakdown is clearly caused by his activities online, so good job on Twitch and YouTube (Twitter? Did they ban him too).
Keep him off until he can get the help he needs, and even after that I don't think they should let him back because these issues can quickly come back again. He needs to find time outside his computer and games.

I don't think that's it. One of the issues people had with Etika is how infrequently he would post and stream. Not saying its a bad thing to take a break from social media stuff but I don't think that's what caused Etika's problems since he never actually used it all that frequently to my understanding.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He said both the N and F word multiple time in his stream ... some peoples just never learn.

While I heavily HEAVILY disagree with any black person ever being punished on platforms such as youtube twitter and Twitch for speaking the way that we speak (aka using the word Nigga we reclaimed that word and made it our own why are people trying to take it away from us?). However if he did say the F word multiple times then yeah that is ban is called for that word has no place on Twitch. I just wish Twitch wouldn't show any favortism on who they will and will not enforce their rules on.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These threads have been rollercoasters of public opinion on him :-D Like the wave of opinion on him constantly fluctuate as news comes out.

Nov 2, 2017
While I heavily HEAVILY disagree with any black person ever being punished on platforms such as youtube twitter and Twitch for speaking the way that we speak (aka using the word Nigga we reclaimed that word and made it our own why are people trying to take it away from us?). However if he did say the F word multiple times then yeah that is ban is called for that word has no place on Twitch. I just wish Twitch wouldn't show any favortism on who they will and will not enforce their rules on.

Please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, all love and respect.

I am 40 years old, I remember in the late 80's and 90's especially in hip hop culture, the idea of reclaiming that word really started gaining traction. Slowly, at first thought art and music, but then through grand proclamations from artist in interviews. The point was to defiantly take a word that was so intrinsically tied with pain and hate and sap the power of the original meaning from it.

I of course understood the theory in doing this. This recontextualizing of words, meanings and symbols have been done time and time again; however I've always felt uneasy about it. The roots of this word as used by racist is deep, weaving through 400 years that included slavery and a systemic oppression of a race of people, to me the idea that some within a The community could transform the word to the majority of Americans in such a short period, when their isn't a general consensus amongst ourselves seemed improbable.

But my larger concern at the time was this, even if somehow a consensus of African Americans could agree to "reclaim" this word, would a population less than 12% of the majority be able to sway the majority? Rebranding words, concepts and images is an enormous endeavor. Large scale social engineering constructs needs to be produced, music, art, propaganda (think Nazi party rebranding of the Swatsika in the West) or the current political climate of branding people who are fighting for Equality as "SJW"'s as a derogatory term. The amount of energy, resources, and bombardment through media channels is staggering.

And we fast forward to this day and age, were a wave of nationalism, isolationist ideals mixed with anti-intellectualism and the reamergence of Nazi's and Anti-Semitism and Racism is at an all time high and if their was ever a thought that a word that has caused so much harm could be reclaimed, I'll answer with this... the extremist has reclaimed their hate. The extremist has reclaimed that word too. They don't particularly care if what a minority group within a minority group claims they've rebranded. To them, we are all the original intent of the word... the only difference now is that some of us freely claim the right to call us that...

My Grandmother is still alive at nearly 90 years old. She remembers the KKK marches and burning the crosses, she remembers the civil rights era, things slowly getting better, she seen 40 years after King, Obama being elected. She has then witnessed the crosses burning. The killings anew.

And from her long life perspective, their was change.. for a moment.. but not enough change that we could reclaim a word that barely had lost is sting the first time... and now stings again just as hard, or maybe more.

Sorry for the long rant, and this is just my own opinion. I just wanted to give a counterpoint, as we aren't all a monolithic group that thinks the same. I mean none of what I wrote with contempt, and do not mean to condem your viewpoint in any way.
I understand the logic, I just can't agree that it has or ever worked as more than a comfort for "us". While the true evil's festered and grew unabated out of sight until now.

I believe that education, discussion, and ideas can have truly lasting change over time.

Sorry for the derail OP.

On topic, I hope and pray that Etika takes a break, gets some help and a support system. Most of all that he finds peace.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got fucking banned for a week that I was making light of mental breakdown and issues of mental health, yet this was still all a ruse

come the fuck on now, that mod should lose their mod status

Wheres the accountability?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, all love and respect.

I am 40 years old, I remember in the late 80's and 90's especially in hip hop culture, the idea of reclaiming that word really started gaining traction. Slowly, at first thought art and music, but then through grand proclamations from artist in interviews. The point was to defiantly take a word that was so intrinsically tied with pain and hate and sap the power of the original meaning from it.

I of course understood the theory in doing this. This recontextualizing of words, meanings and symbols have been done time and time again; however I've always felt uneasy about it. The roots of this word as used by racist is deep, weaving through 400 years that included slavery and a systemic oppression of a race of people, to me the idea that some within a The community could transform the word to the majority of Americans in such a short period, when their isn't a general consensus amongst ourselves seemed improbable.

But my larger concern at the time was this, even if somehow a consensus of African Americans could agree to "reclaim" this word, would a population less than 12% of the majority be able to sway the majority? Rebranding words, concepts and images is an enormous endeavor. Large scale social engineering constructs needs to be produced, music, art, propaganda (think Nazi party rebranding of the Swatsika in the West) or the current political climate of branding people who are fighting for Equality as "SJW"'s as a derogatory term. The amount of energy, resources, and bombardment through media channels is staggering.

And we fast forward to this day and age, were a wave of nationalism, isolationist ideals mixed with anti-intellectualism and the reamergence of Nazi's and Anti-Semitism and Racism is at an all time high and if their was ever a thought that a word that has caused so much harm could be reclaimed, I'll answer with this... the extremist has reclaimed their hate. The extremist has reclaimed that word too. They don't particularly care if what a minority group within a minority group claims they've rebranded. To them, we are all the original intent of the word... the only difference now is that some of us freely claim the right to call us that...

My Grandmother is still alive at nearly 90 years old. She remembers the KKK marches and burning the crosses, she remembers the civil rights era, things slowly getting better, she seen 40 years after King, Obama being elected. She has then witnessed the crosses burning. The killings anew.

And from her long life perspective, their was change.. for a moment.. but not enough change that we could reclaim a word that barely had lost is sting the first time... and now stings again just as hard, or maybe more.

Sorry for the long rant, and this is just my own opinion. I just wanted to give a counterpoint, as we aren't all a monolithic group that thinks the same. I mean none of what I wrote with contempt, and do not mean to condem your viewpoint in any way.
I understand the logic, I just can't agree that it has or ever worked as more than a comfort for "us". While the true evil's festered and grew unabated out of sight until now.

I believe that education, discussion, and ideas can have truly lasting change over time.

Sorry for the derail OP.

On topic, I hope and pray that Etika takes a break, gets some help and a support system. Most of all that he finds peace.

Black people saying nigga ain't gonna stop racism. Black people not saying nigga ain't gonna stop racism. It legit doesn't matter either way. Our "reclaiming" of the word (for lack of a better verb) is not some grand reverse psychology experiment. It's just slang, loaded with irony and given context by our shared experience. It's the blues. And it's not a practice that began in the 80s. My grandfather used it just like rappers do and he was born in 1921. He wasn't the first either.