Status
Not open for further replies.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Every direct Elder Scrolls PS5 sale is a lost GamePass customer.

Mathmatically, one customer subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate for a year is worth twice than what a singular $70 purchase is worth, not including Sony's 30% cut. But porting those games, you're sacrificing the potential of a PS5 User not picking up a Series S, GamePass Stick or using the Cloud App and becoming a recurrent customer.

If Elder Scrolls releases on PS5 it won't be in the same 1 - 2 years (or possibly longer) that it releases on MS platforms. MS have already said they want games on their platforms to be 'first or best' it's pretty easy to see that in such a scenario those that won't buy into the Xbox platform won't get it first. But there will still be some that do buy into the platform and get the game.

Those that didn't buy in after a couple of years probably had no intention of minimum picking up even a trial subscription of a Series S anyway.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Now that this is officially a done deal in every way, let's hope Bethesda's IP's shine brighter than ever and that the devs have it good.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
So every Steam customer is also a lost Game Pass customer?
Every Steam customer is a gained Windows 10 customer over Linux, MAC and older Windows. And many modern Windows 10 licenses come with the Game Pass app pre installed. Steam is a trojan horse to convert PC people to Game Pass and keep them in Windows 10. Also, Steam allows Xbox Live on their platform which is a crucial KPI. Sony only allows MS accounts.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Every Steam customer is a gained Windows 10 customer over Linux, MAC and older Windows. And many modern Windows 10 licenses come with the Game Pass app pre installed. Steam is a trojan horse to convert PC people to Game Pass and keep them in Windows 10. Also, Steam allows Xbox Live on their platform which is a crucial KPI. Sony only allows MS accounts.
I've heard this before, that on Minecraft for Switch you use Live but on Playstation you don't. Why would Microsoft change it only for Sony?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So out of all the reason someone could leave a company (family, work environment, money, ...), you really propose us the idea of people leaving, because the PS5 isn't getting ports? That's ridiculous and that's why some made fun of it.

That's a bit of an oversimplification of what I said; and obviously I know we are talking about studios already working with Windows/Xbox. If you remove technology choices from people working in tech, it often doesn't go well, is really what I'm getting at. That's particularly true the higher you go up the chain of "technology command."

But we don't know how prescriptive MS will be in the first place.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
If PC player can grab a console, I'm sure PS players can also grab a console if they believe that Game Pass is worth it for them.

Sure they can, but they already own a very similar device (their PS5). It's harder to convince them to get a second console.

It's like selling boats. I can sell to anybody who thinks my boat's got features they want, but it's much easier to sell someone their first boat (the PC player with neither XSX or PS5) than it is to sell someone their second boat (the person who already has a PS5).

I don't think you're entirely incorrect in your arguments here; MS would totally put their games on PS5 under certain conditions. But those conditions are undoubtedly:
  • XBL accounts mandatory
  • Game Pass accessibility
  • Limitations on version of software (IE the Xbox/Windows PC gets updates and features first)
Sony budging on those first two as a matter of course (not for a one-off, already existing game like Minecraft) is over a decade away at the earliest imo (and the most likely date is "never"). MS wants more MAU and recurring revenue; they don't give a flip about some PS user's one-time purchase of TES6 for $45 (after Sony's cut). Every annual GPU sub is worth 4 of those users. MS is okay with Steam because it's all Windows, and GP is a click away (to switch launchers). Unless Sony lets Game Pass directly onto their hardware, they'll hold off.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not exactly sure. I think it may be because Sony publishes the PlayStation versions of Minecraft.

This changed with the Bedrock update. Mojang couldn't bring the Bedrock update to PS until Sony allowed the use of Xbox Live profiles for it since that's what Minecraft runs on now. It's published by Mojang directly now.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Sure they can, but they already own a very similar device (their PS5). It's harder to convince them to get a second console.

It's like selling boats. I can sell to anybody who thinks my boat's got features they want, but it's much easier to sell someone their first boat (the PC player with neither XSX or PS5) than it is to sell someone their second boat (the person who already has a PS5).
There are very few people who own a boat in the first place (ie. either PS5 or XSX). So MS has to convince potential boat owners that their boat is the boat to have, rather than try to convince the existing boat owners that they should get a second one.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
This changed with the Bedrock update. Mojang couldn't bring the Bedrock update to PS until Sony allowed the use of Xbox Live profiles for it since that's what Minecraft runs on now. It's published by Mojang directly now.
Ah. Thanks. So the switch from AWS to Azure then?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
There are very few people who own a boat in the first place (ie. either PS5 or XSX). So MS has to convince potential boat owners that their boat is the boat to have, rather than try to convince the existing boat owners that they should get a second one.
I agree, that was my point. Sorry if it's not clear, my back is currently in pain and I'm not as clear headed as I should be lol

mrbobman15

Jan 21, 2019
I already have an M1 mac. ARM kills bootcamp, rosetta really only works for Mac applications, and Microsoft games generally don't come to Mac (even if a good percentage of most Steam/indy titles do). But I'm not complaining, high-end games are basically a non-starter on a laptop anyway, that's why I have a PS5! Even if it wasn't a Mac, we are really talking about high end games that aren't going to run on most laptops. But sure, I would fire up Factorio or CIV or Crusader Kings or something that's not on console, on occasion.

I think this question kind of answers itself, -third- console. Same reason I don't want a second phone or second (or third) car for our household . It's incredibly wasteful, it takes up space, it's another subscription cost to play online. Even though I can personally afford it, I think it's unreasonable to ask for 'most people' to spend another $500, after they've probably spent $500 to play games for this generation, especially in this pandemic economy.

Plus 1st world consumption is already INSANE, and we should be asking ourselves how to ratchet it down, at least to the levels of other 1st world countries that seem to get by with half the carbon footprint, or less. Buying third consoles is would be something of an antithesis to moving in this direction.

But I know this will be dismissed as 'pay up or miss out'. Fine, I guess I'll miss out, or not, let's see.

Should work 100% perfectly on your Macbook
www.theverge.com

Here’s a first look at Microsoft’s xCloud for the web

A public preview of Xbox games in your browser is coming soon

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I've heard this before, that on Minecraft for Switch you use Live but on Playstation you don't. Why would Microsoft change it only for Sony?
Minecraft went cross-play with "Play Together" Update in 2017. PS didn't add it until the very very end of 2019 when Fortnite et al had dragged them kicking and screaming into the cross-play universe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but thought I read that the Live backbone was needed for Nintendo to cross-play because their Nintendo online is fairly un-good. I think that was part of the easy fix for friends lists and other functionality for cross play.

On PC or PSN, you wouldn't need that support.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Ah ok, but the thread doesn't actually frame the MAU as the highest of any platform and the thread is only a half page long. I'm guessing most people don't actually know.

Oh, yeah, sorry, there's no thread about that specifically; and even if there were, it'd likely have been locked, anyway. Platform comparison threads don't exactly have a history of ending well.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I think the forum is capable of doing this, but you make this hard on yourself imo. In this post alone you mentioned the 90s, but how does this matter for Xbox in 2021 with a complete different leadership and everything?

I mentioned the 90s because you were criticizing my claim of them "practically inventing crunch".. so yes, I elaborated on what you decided was a relevant point of mine to call out.

edit: Sorry, missed this in my last reply.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The point of a steam version is to have a bait, other than marketing to convince people to join the service. If you end up liking the game and eventually become a fan of Forza for example, you might consider Gamepass. Something you wouldn't do before, if there is no Forza on Steam.
They can obviously. But what's easier?
  • PC: Enjoying a XGS game on steam -> free GP app -> sub.
  • PS: Enjoying a XGS game -> buying a console (300-500$) -> free GP app -> sub
One way is free and the other needs a significant amount of investment from the consumer. That makes a difference, because a PC user has nothing to loose, while a PS user needs to spend 300-500$ and she/he perhaps doesn't even like GP in the end.
The ps user can do what we did back in the day, sell our system and play a new one for a few years. GP is a no brainer with a wide variety of games. I doubt they would not like the selection unless they are looking for games that realistically can't be found on there. (God of War/The Last of Us) which at that point you have to ask how unaware are they to how this whole video game landscape works.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
People in here subtly wishing for the downfall of MS through employee backlash. What stage of grief is this? It's getting a bit ridiculous now. I can understand if you had no way to access these games. With the COST to entry so low and possibly getting even lower with Xcloud... it's just plain port begging at this point.
Who is saying this? Ive missed it cause I havent followed this thread but I would report the posts if I saw them.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is saying this? Ive missed it cause I havent followed this thread but I would report the posts if I saw them.
I never saw downfall of MS stated but one poster here whose Uncle works at Nintendo implied that There would be Bethesda devs disappointed that they could no longer release games in Playstation and this leave their job

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
The reality is that most devs would probably like to work on as few platforms as possible (assuming their job is safe, and not tied to revenue) and even further to that, I bet if you polled most - they'd rather just release on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
Working for Microsoft has to be a dream job, console warrior stuff doesn't feed you. Work with some of the smartest people in the world, get paid outstanding salaries, use cutting edge tech. That's why people obtain jobs. To challenge themselves.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Hell as an example of why it may make sense for some games, let's say starfield is a critical reception hit and gets a huge buzz after launch. Now a year later there may be a reason to put it elsewhere so that you can pick up sales from people who refused to move over to xbox or gamepass out of being stubborn, but if you then plan a starfield 2 and outright say it will not be on ps or elsewhere ever or not for at least years, you can have a good shot at convincing players who loved the first after finally trying it on their ps5 to move over to play on your ecosystem for the sequel. It isn't unheard of to find people who just outright refuse to play something if it isn't on their platform or a franchise they've never played/heard of before and it isn't unheard of to use sequels to draw people over.

Ok so, the problem I always have with this logic, is that in order for it to make sense, it would have to make sense universally... not just limited to an edge case like Bethesda.

If MS thought that releasing a game on PlayStation would make people more likely to purchase an Xbox in the future, then this should already have held true for IP they've owned for years. Whilst PS4 was out there kicking XB1 around effortlessly, surely it would have made sense to release past Halo or Gears games onto PS4 in order to potentially poach some of that huge PS4 audience into grabbing an XB1 for their latest (timed) exclusive instalments? So why does this never happen? Not just with MS, but with Sony and Nintendo also.

The most likely reasoning I can come up with, is because they have reason to believe people won't pick up their console for the latest release. That instead they'll play the new Uncharted or God of War at the time, and then pick up Halo or Gears once the exclusivity window is over. After all, despite the wait, their console will now receive both PlayStation and Xbox output, whereas Xbox would only have a subset of that... which makes it a less likely purchase at any point in time, not more.

valentine71

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
USA
A $1.8 trillion company casually goes on a buying spree and spends more than $9 to $10 billion just to strengthen their first party and Game Pass catalogue. Then their CEO and VP of Gaming comes out and says that Bethesda acquisition is only the start and acquisitions will continue as new opportunities pop up. In the meantime Game Pass adds nearly one million new members every month. And yet there are some people here saying "Microsoft wouldn't want lose that PlayStation money and they sure will publish Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, etc on PlayStation!". Lol, ok.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so, the problem I always have with this logic, is that in order for it to make sense, it would have to make sense universally... not just limited to an edge case like Bethesda.

If MS thought that releasing a game on PlayStation would make people more likely to purchase an Xbox in the future, then this should already have held true for IP they've owned for years. Whilst PS4 was out there kicking XB1 around effortlessly, surely it would have made sense to release past Halo or Gears games onto PS4 in order to potentially poach some of that huge PS4 audience into grabbing an XB1 for their latest (timed) exclusive instalments? So why does this never happen? Not just with MS, but with Sony and Nintendo also.

The most likely reasoning I can come up with, is because they have reason to believe people won't pick up their console for the latest release. That instead they'll play the new Uncharted or God of War at the time, and then pick up Halo or Gears once the exclusivity window is over. After all, despite the wait, their console will now receive both PlayStation and Xbox output, whereas Xbox would only have a subset of that... which makes it a less likely purchase at any point in time, not more.

My whole idea is the fact there are people who won't buy an xbox, if Microsoft want them in gamepass then they need to show not tell. No amount of "buy an xbox because gamepass rules" is gonna work. And MS has already said they don't care where you play in future, they want you on gamepass. They've said they'll put gamepass anywhere they can platform wise. Sony won't allow it and it doesn't make sense to throw all their games there in that case but a few to draw customers to be tempted to try gamepass on a streaming service? Yeah makes more sense. You can't focus on them wanting you to buy an xbox when they don't care if you do or not anymore, if you get gamepass they're happy. Their focus going forward is to get as many gamepass subscribers as possible, xbox, pc or streaming devices it doesn't matter. If Sony and Nintendo allowed gamepass on their system then Microsoft would put it there.

That's why they didn't do it before, they had no need when the old business model relied on selling consoles to bring in customers to make them a 30% cut per sale. They aren't focused on that model anymore, they're focused on long term subscribers for the future and honestly that's both bad and good. I love the original xbox hardware and I love my one x hardware. I also love how the series x has been designed and the system itself and can't wait to get one. Microsoft can make some really awesome hardware and it'll be sad if the future doesn't have that as a focus point, but long term it makes sense for a company to focus on streaming on any device their service can and not on selling consoles at a loss to play the same games.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
A $1.8 trillion company casually goes on a buying spree and spends more than $9 to $10 billion just to strengthen their first party and Game Pass catalogue. Then their CEO and VP of Gaming comes out and says that Bethesda acquisition is only the start and acquisitions will continue as new opportunities pop up. In the meantime Game Pass adds nearly one million new members every month. And yet there are some people here saying "Microsoft wouldn't want lose that PlayStation money and they sure will publish Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, etc on PlayStation!". Lol, ok.
Yeah, I'm lost here too. I don't think they need "PlayStation Money".

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

If MS decided to publish games in PlayStation. That would make sense. If they decided not to, that would make sense as well. The thing about $1.8 trillion dollar companies is they figure out how to maximize their profits.

I never would have guessed years ago that MS would buy Minecraft for $2Billion and keep it on PlayStation and Switch, or that MS would find PC success on Steam, but here we are.

I expect nothing, but I'm open to the possibility of anything at this point.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft wouldn't want to miss out on that Playstation money, but that only pertains to Zenimax games. Other stuff? For some reason that makes more sense to stay exclusive.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Imma go out on a limb and say no video game developer has ever quit due to not being able to develop for a particular system. Like, 0% chance that ever happened.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
If MS decided to publish games in PlayStation. That would make sense. If they decided not to, that would make sense as well. The thing about $1.8 trillion dollar companies is they figure out how to maximize their profits.

I never would have guessed years ago that MS would buy Minecraft for $2Billion and keep it on PlayStation and Switch, or that MS would find PC success on Steam, but here we are.

The difference is that PC isn't a competitor and neither is Switch which only get games that could actually run well on it.

Agree about anything happening at this point though.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm lost here too. I don't think they need "PlayStation Money".
I've said this before, but Zenimax had "PlayStation money" before the acquisition and didn't think their business was sustainable long-term. So I'm not sure why doing the same thing with the same studios is something Microsoft want to do.

Like, what benefit is there to keeping everything on competitive systems, slapping an Xbox logo on the box and calling it a day?

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
The difference is that PC isn't a competitor and neither is Switch which only get games that could actually run well on it.

Yeah, and the number of Switch ports could even get smaller as current-gen only games start to roll out, even with the potential "Switch Pro".

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'm not exactly sure. I think it may be because Sony publishes the PlayStation versions of Minecraft.
Minecraft went cross-play with "Play Together" Update in 2017. PS didn't add it until the very very end of 2019 when Fortnite et al had dragged them kicking and screaming into the cross-play universe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but thought I read that the Live backbone was needed for Nintendo to cross-play because their Nintendo online is fairly un-good. I think that was part of the easy fix for friends lists and other functionality for cross play.

On PC or PSN, you wouldn't need that support.

Thank you for the updates.

Minecraft was already a thing and it would be kind of silly to just not release the game that has already been established. It's a game designed to be shared by everyone.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

steam and switch are competitors though- a customer is going to have limited $ to spend on gaming, and $ spent on Steam or Switch is market share not going to MS. However, MS found in more beneficial to work WITH their competitors in specific circumstances

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Todd Howard
Head of the Bethesda Games Studios Family
Microsoft Lieutenant
0c78ac5daa225a521ba1268b25a6e8f4ccd877b8.png

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the updates.

Minecraft was already a thing and it would be kind of silly to just not release the game that has already been established. It's a game designed to be shared by everyone.

It didn't make sense because the IP growth potential depended on being Muliplat.

zenimax IP are already established as well. MS want to get ROI on their Zenimax purchase by growing the IP they just aquired. But they also want to grow Gamepass and their console business. It's not illogical to assume MS would consider a mixed strategy.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I've said this before, but Zenimax had "PlayStation money" before the acquisition and didn't think their business was sustainable long-term. So I'm not sure why doing the same thing with the same studios is something Microsoft want to do.

Like, what benefit is there to keeping everything on competitive systems, slapping an Xbox logo on the box and calling it a day?
Because feelings and stuff

But your point of Zenimax failing with multiplat money makes the Xbox needs multiplat money funnier and I'm keeping that one in my back pocket

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
It could be simple as Starfield for PS5 'later date perhaps', Starfield with Mods and DLC 'Free with Gamepass' first on Xbox/PC.

Oct 27, 2017

Great point!

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Weird when Sony port games to PC, its not about the 'PC money', but about luring PC players to buy a Playstation console for other Playstation games

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
My whole idea is the fact there are people who won't buy an xbox, if Microsoft want them in gamepass then they need to show not tell. No amount of "buy an xbox because gamepass rules" is gonna work. And MS has already said they don't care where you play in future, they want you on gamepass. They've said they'll put gamepass anywhere they can platform wise. Sony won't allow it and it doesn't make sense to throw all their games there in that case but a few to draw customers to be tempted to try gamepass on a streaming service? Yeah makes more sense. You can't focus on them wanting you to buy an xbox when they don't care if you do or not anymore, if you get gamepass they're happy. Their focus going forward is to get as many gamepass subscribers as possible, xbox, pc or streaming devices it doesn't matter. If Sony and Nintendo allowed gamepass on their system then Microsoft would put it there.

That's why they didn't do it before, they had no need when the old business model relied on selling consoles to bring in customers to make them a 30% cut per sale. They aren't focused on that model anymore, they're focused on long term subscribers for the future and honestly that's both bad and good. I love the original xbox hardware and I love my one x hardware. I also love how the series x has been designed and the system itself and can't wait to get one. Microsoft can make some really awesome hardware and it'll be sad if the future doesn't have that as a focus point, but long term it makes sense for a company to focus on streaming on any device their service can and not on selling consoles at a loss to play the same games.

Thing is, streaming doesn't really change this notably from the model that was already in place. Yes, now MS wants you to subscribe to Gamepass, but that doesn't actually change the conversation regarding placing their IP on PlayStation. Before you'd have say Halo 4 ported to PS4 and then if the player liked it, you would be hoping they would then pick up a Xbox One to play Halo 5. Now, you'd port say Starfield to PS5 in the hope that they buy a Series X to play Starfield 2 via Gamepass. The economics or this still work similarly, you don't gain this user as part of your ecosystem unless you convince them to make a further commitment.

Now, I already know what you're thinking as you read the above... "But you don't need an Xbox for Gamepass. They can simply stream Starfield 2 without buying the console"... and this is true. But then it also negates the point of porting Starfield 1 in the first place, because MS can "show, not tell" to bring people into their ecosystem, without having to create ports that may carry the side-effect of actually convincing that same user they don't need to join the ecosystem at all, so long as they exercise a little patience. A PS5 user with enough interest in Starfield to drop $60 on it, has numerous other options to try the game directly via MS' ecosystem without another hardware purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.