• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is confusing the hell out of me. So no accelerate button? I have to be constantly shooting stuff? Is there an auto-drive like Kirby's Air Ride? How are the tracks laid out?

Well, it's a shoot-em up.

If you want an idea of how this can work, play Kingdom Gran Prix for the Arcade on a MAME emulator. It's a shoot'em up racing game.

There are not "tracks", at least not in the flying parts. There might be obstacles like in most Star Fox games.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
One slightly challenging aspect of design is how do you deal with the combat advantage that a player in the back would have against the player in the front.

I imagine the player in the front could use breaking to let the pursuer get in front of them and then let the lasers loose. Actually that sound awesome.

I wonder what other options there can be.
Or maybe you can also drop bombs and shrapnel behind you as you go.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Me and a friend were discussing this game last night and we both agreed that it absolutely needs voice lines from Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64 putting into it.

Imagine overtaking Star Wolf to be met with "Can't let you do that Starfox"
When Leon overtakes you? "I am the great Leon!"

Oct 26, 2017
This is confusing the hell out of me. So no accelerate button? I have to be constantly shooting stuff? Is there an auto-drive like Kirby's Air Ride? How are the tracks laid out?

It doesn't say no accelerate button, although I'm not sure we should expect one either being a flying game, auto accelerate should be fine outside of boosting and braking. Onrush but with spaceships is the nearest thing that sprung to mind to me.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Do you think the tracks will be looping like standard race tracks or will they be A to B levels?

I don't have any inside info, I'm just speculating.

I'm basing this on how Kingdom Gran Prix works. If the game is flying racing, and it's a classic shoot'em up like Star Fox, then expect levels to have obstacles (like any Star Fox) and not "tracks" with turns and stuff. Now, if there's "F-Zero type" racing, then yeah, expect tracks with twists and turns like any racing game.

The "tracks" will have loops/laps depending on what the goal of the levels are. If the goal is to get to the end of the level, then it will probably not have laps. If the goal is to destroy the other racers, then it will probably have laps (because you are going to need time to defeat them). If it's anything like Kingdom Gran Prix, then there won't be laps, just a regular shoot'em up stage where you are doing whatever it is possible to get to the boss before everyone else.

But since apparently the game will have a HUB where you can pick up missions, then expect a variety of level-types. Some will be more Star Fox type, others might be F-Zero type (if there's ground racing). Some missions will be to get to the end of the level, others will be to destroy all opponents or all enemies or whatever. So this will be a more ambitious Star Fox Command, minus the strategy map.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's a shoot-em up.

If you want an idea of how this can work, play Kingdom Gran Prix for the Arcade on a MAME emulator. It's a shoot'em up racing game.

There are not "tracks", at least not in the flying parts. There might be obstacles like in most Star Fox games.
Shoot em up and racing are two different genres. And pretty important in whether I buy this game or not.

And that arcade game doesn't really answer my question as it's 2D.

They're tracks, it's billed as a racing game so far.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
The grand prix being three tracks + a boss makes sense to me. But I'm still trying to imagine the bit about receiving "side missions for more story content" from characters in the hub world. Will these be levels and challenges outside the main grand prix perhaps? In general I am just very curious to see how the game is structured.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Possibly, it would depend. If I were in the gaming business with hardware and was running an entire ecosystem that sought to penetrate a market of varying demographics by offering and addressing a variety of differing software tastes, the lowest hanging tastiest fruit may appear the most appealing for immediate profit but ultimately may not be the best choice for a long-term, broad reaching strategy as planting a new fruit tree would. Why not grow the market by making a 3D platformer that would appeal to those not already interested in Mario instead of continually harvesting it just because it's extremely safe and profitable? That leaves little room for growth. It's not like Mario's going away, and neither is Nintendo at want for money.

With their talent and resources they could be much more liberal and aggressive in getting brand new IPs out there and trying to push them to the territory that Mario sells. Nintendo are unparalleled in their gameplay innovations and creativity, their talent can support risk, and their bankroll can weather complete failure (the Wii U, a few software bombs here and there would be chump change to them). In light of this, it frustrates me to hear their top developer come out and state that their creative process is largely driven and beholden to properties they already own and that oftentimes new IPs aren't created because of it. And yes, I understand how from a business standpoint they see it as making sense (though I find it to be very myopic and limiting strategy personally), but from someone who enjoys gaming that craves originality in ALL aspects and not simply in gameplay, it's not something I'd ever wish for, much less ever defend. I find it a horrible philosophy to hold as a game designer/company.

I see what you're saying here to a point but unfortunately Nintendo fans are so accustomed to having an iteration to their favorite franchises every generation but now there's so many of them and there's expectations there. I went blue from hearing about "When is a Smash game coming" from when the Switch when announced until when they announced it.

In fairness to Nintendo though try to remember, they are top notch for gameplay innovations. Most recently:

Splatoon ( A unique take on the shooter genre)
Wii Sports ( singlehandly popularised motion controls)
Breath of the Wild ( Perhaps changed the face of open world games forever)
Wii Fit ( Brought an awareness of fitness briefly)
Labo ( Trying to bring creatively back to gaming. It remains to see it's impact but I think it'll be a large one)

Even when we're dealing with their main franchises some of the drastic changes they make almost make them feel like a new franchise.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any inside info, I'm just speculating.

I'm basing this on how Kingdom Gran Prix works. If the game is flying racing, and it's a classic shoot'em up like Star Fox, then expect levels to have obstacles (like any Star Fox) and not "tracks" with turns and stuff. Now, if there's "F-Zero type" racing, then yeah, expect tracks with twists and turns like any racing game.

The "tracks" will have loops/laps depending on what the goal of the levels are. If the goal is to get to the end of the level, then it will probably not have laps. If the goal is to destroy the other racers, then it will probably have laps (because you are going to need time to defeat them). If it's anything like Kingdom Gran Prix, then there won't be laps, just a regular shoot'em up stage where you are doing whatever it is possible to get to the boss before everyone else.
What are point to point/sprint races then?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What Liam said on his podcast from what he's heard

- The game is not like F-Zero
- He's seen a more complete version of the logo
- The game is based on the arwing (which differentiates it from F-Zero)
- He was told the title "Star Fox Grand Prix" was a tentative title
- The game is a mixture between classic Star Fox and racing
- You shoot enemies to propel forward and get combos; you can shoot other players too
- Each Grand Prix is three tracks with a boss fight- where the boss comes onto the track
- It has a big hub area where you can interact with the Star Fox characters
- You pick up new missions at the hub and there's story content to go through
- The game looks really really good in motion
- He also heard Retro was considering adding cameos like Donkey Kong

One more thing. He also heard it was a 2019 game, but wouldn't be surprised if it was a 2018 game.

Extra tidbits:
- Fire Emblem is on pace to release this year.
- Smash is releasing in October according to his sources
This all sounds really good. Now I just hope the game is a fast paced romp to contrast Mario Kart.

I wonder if there will be multiple vehicles.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017

- You shoot enemies to propel forward and get combos; you can shoot other players too
- Each Grand Prix is three tracks with a boss fight- where the boss comes onto the track

One more thing. He also heard it was a 2019 game, but wouldn't be surprised if it was a 2018 game.

Extra tidbits:

Thanks for the recap. This is now officially my most anticipated game for the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Possibly, it would depend. If I were in the gaming business with hardware and was running an entire ecosystem that sought to penetrate a market of varying demographics by offering and addressing a variety of differing software tastes, the lowest hanging tastiest fruit may appear the most appealing for immediate profit but ultimately may not be the best choice for a long-term, broad reaching strategy as planting a new fruit tree would. Why not grow the market by making a 3D platformer that would appeal to those not already interested in Mario instead of continually harvesting it just because it's extremely safe and profitable? That leaves little room for growth. It's not like Mario's going away, and neither is Nintendo at want for money.

With their talent and resources they could be much more liberal and aggressive in getting brand new IPs out there and trying to push them to the territory that Mario sells. Nintendo are unparalleled in their gameplay innovations and creativity, their talent can support risk, and their bankroll can weather complete failure (the Wii U, a few software bombs here and there would be chump change to them). In light of this, it frustrates me to hear their top developer come out and state that their creative process is largely driven and beholden to properties they already own and that oftentimes new IPs aren't created because of it. And yes, I understand how from a business standpoint they see it as making sense (though I find it to be very myopic and limiting strategy personally), but from someone who enjoys gaming that craves originality in ALL aspects and not simply in gameplay, it's not something I'd ever wish for, much less ever defend. I find it a horrible philosophy to hold as a game designer/company.

It's not that easy to release a successful new IP even for Nintendo. Look at the case of Wonderful 101, great game with a very limited appeal. I think I remember reading about Kamiya wanting to use Nintendo characters instead of new ones, I don't know if that's true, but I'm sure the game would have sold a lot better if they did that. And I mean the exactly same game with Nintendo characters. You also have the case of Bayonetta. I know it was an already existing IP, but Nintendo took it, market it and we saw the results. Even ARMS was not a huge success, not even with the great free post-release support.

Of course, there is also Splatoon that is huge, specially in Japan. But the success ratio is not that good, right?. A lot of Nintendo IP's are very malleable because they don't have a lot of narrative/story baggage. So leveraging those IP's brand power while you introduce new gameplay is the right thing to do IMO. Sometimes is as easy as naming the game "Zelda Warriors" instead of "Hyrule Warriors", I think that would have helped a bit.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
OK, so to stomp my negavity, I tried listing things that would make me excited about this idea.

I'm a person who:
- didn't play Star Fox before GameCube
- didn't play Adventures
- thought Assault was pretty decent, but not great, but was harmed by Nintendo's fear of online at the time
- finished Star Fox 64 3D and thought it was too short for an action game, and too unfocused for an arcade game. Saw it as a line-up filler anyway.
- played Zero and thought the game to be below average
- has no nostalgia for the characters and can't see them functioning outside of 1990s

So what the rumored game should have to convince me (at least some of those should become true):
- the mechanic of shooting + racing should be fun, meaningful and really set the game apart from Mario Kart and alikes
- the game should be visually stunning, a true showcase of what Retro is capable on Switch with a game built from ground up for the system
- the story mode should be at least equally fun in single player
- outside of multiplayer competition, the game should offer gameplay (story + challenges/achievements/ side modes) for more than 4 hours
- the characters and overall artstyle should get an update that will make look acceptable in 2018. I'd like a reboot, artstically speaking.

Check those boxes, Retro, and I'm in! :)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't heard any rumor saying that, but a sprint race is a short race where the point is to go as fast as you can.
My point was your description arbitrarily cuts sprint courses out. For most folks, a "track" is just a stage your race on. Anything more and you're kinda splitting hairs.

Also, I looked up the game you mentioned. It's a facsimile of a racing game. It has the rankings and stuff, but it looks more like a skin over a traditional shump. With Star Fox being billed as a racing game, I can't see this being an accurate representation of what to expect. Something like Wipeout or Kirby's Air Rid sounds more accurate here

Gianko

Nov 1, 2017
ROME, ITALY

Extra tidbits:

thank you very much for these info.
so this leaves a hope for a proper F-Zero game (by Platinum)?!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My point was your description arbitrarily cuts sprint courses out. For most folks, a "track" is just a stage your race on. Anything more and you're kinda splitting hairs.

Also, I looked up the game you mentioned. It's a facsimile of a racing game. It has the rankings and stuff, but it looks more like a skin over a traditional shump. With Star Fox being billed as a racing game, I can't see this being an accurate representation of what to expect. Something like Wipeout or Kirby's Air Rid sounds more accurate here

You keep saying the game is "being billed as a racing game", but the more information we get, the more it seems like it's not really a racing game, but a classic Star Fox where you race. So in reality we just don't know exactly what it is yet.
I was merely speculating on my previous posts based on the new info and based on how Kingdom Gran Prix works.

And I don't get exactly what you mean up there, you say it's a "facsimile" of a racing game (which means it's an exact copy), but then say it's a skin over a traditional shoot'em up?

The game IS a shoot'em up (KGP), you just happen to shoot and race other players. It seems very similar to this new Star Fox description.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One slightly challenging aspect of design is how do you deal with the combat advantage that a player in the back would have against the player in the front.

I imagine the player in the front could use breaking to let the pursuer get in front of them and then let the lasers loose. Actually that sound awesome.

I wonder what other options there can be.
Notice the differentiation between enemies and other players. I suppose that similar to the original F-Zero, the actual racers make up only a small part of the characters per level and thus that being behind comes with advantages (being able to shoot other players and hindering their progress this way) but also disadvantages (being only left with the scraps the first player did not kill yet?). I'd expect the first place not to be such a disadvantageous position.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California

Extra tidbits:

Oh Nice. I was hoping to hear something like this. So, it adds a layer of complexity to the basic Star Fox formula by making it a racing game that depends on your ability to shoot stuff. It sounds fun on paper, at least. It also sounds like they are adding side quests? "You pick up new missions at the hub and there's story content to go through" sounds like two different events. I hope so. That would be awesome.

Good to know Smash and Fire Emblem are doing great. I was a little worried about FE, TBH.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Notice the differentiation between enemies and other players. I suppose that similar to the original F-Zero, the actual racers make up only a small part of the characters per level and thus that being behind comes with advantages (being able to shoot other players and hindering their progress this way) but also disadvantages (being only left with the scraps the first player did not kill yet?). I'd expect the first place not to be such a disadvantageous position.
That and the dog fight manuevers could really make this into something special.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm pretty sure Liam means shooting enemies gives you an extra boost...

Edit: I don't know about you guys, but I'm loving this so far, I'm really itching to see this. It seems that every time Retro makes a new game they touch a genre that's completely alien to them and sounds completely crazy and even heretic at first, and people end up loving it.
An VJ Emmie once said... EXPECT THE UNEXPECTABLE!

Martoridley

Oct 29, 2017
I see we`re seemingly getting to the "accepting" stage. ^^ If what liam says is actually true, this is going to be great.

Oct 25, 2017
The interesting thing is how will the game handle the enemies if that is real.

Sounds like it gives a lot of advantage to the first place since he sees the enemies first.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You keep saying the game is "being billed as a racing game", but the more information we get, the more it seems like it's not really a racing game, but a classic Star Fox where you race. So in reality we just don't know exactly what it is yet.
I was merely speculating on my previous posts based on the new info and based on how Kingdom Gran Prix works.

And I don't get exactly what you mean up there, you say it's a "facsimile" of a racing game (which means it's an exact copy), but then say it's a skin over a traditional shoot'em up?

The game IS a shoot'em up (KGP), you just happen to shoot and race other players. It seems very similar to this new Star Fox description.
Then I got my definitions mixed up. Calling that game a racing game isn't particularly accurate as you're more focused on playing a shmup than racing.

As for star fox, all I'm getting from the details is Wipeout, where you shoot other players as you race
I'm pretty sure Liam means shooting enemies gives you an extra boost...
that would make sense. Though I'm not really a fan of that format, I prefer more pure racing. This might end up being a wait and see

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I see we`re seemingly getting to the "accepting" stage. ^^ If what liam says is actually true, this is going to be great.
This thread was really frustrating for me, because I was imagining something very much in line with the leaked details, but I couldn't really argue with "unambitous waste of talent" and "why not make F-Zero" people based on nothing but my fanfiction.

Speaking of "ambition", I have to ask:

DOES THIS CONCEPT SOUND POTENTIALLY "AMBITOUS"?!

HELL FUCKING YES IT IS!

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
All the leaks are saying this game is gorgeous, as well. The current king is either Odyssey or Mario + Rabbids, I think...Both are beautiful. Can't wait to see what the Switch is capable of. Retro have always been one of Nintendo's best technically accomplished studios.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As for star fox, all I'm getting from the details is Wipeout, where you shoot other players as you race

Well, we'll know once we get more info, but what I get from the new description and how Kingdom Gran Prix works, is that (assuming this new Star Fox is using arwings, and not ground vehicles) you'll be in a flying stage just like a regular Star Fox game, enemies will appear, obstacles will appear (walls, ships, asteroids, etc), but there will also be other players which will be shooting you and others to boost and reach the goal/boss first. Whoever reaches the goal/boss first, wins the mission.

Maybe there will also be ground vehicle racing, which will play more like traditional F-Zero races. But from the description it seems it will focus on flying.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
Yeah, but I think there was no other way around it. The game was displaying on two screens at once, and it was displaying actual gameplay graphics, and not a still map or something. That meant the Wii U rendering almost twice the resolution and assets at the same time. Had the game only used one screen, then it would have looked much better if they wanted to.

You're probably right but it was a hard sell. There's a reason why 60 fps for AAA games are not going to be the norm anytime soon - you can always spend the power to make it look better. So it looks better in trailers and screenshots. People like to look at pretty games. So even if Nintendo had an objective reason for SF0 looking poorly, it didn't make the problem disappear. It only explains it, not solves it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
All the leaks are saying this game is gorgeous, as well. The current king is either Odyssey or Mario + Rabbids, I think...Both are beautiful. Can't wait to see what the Switch is capable of. Retro have always been one of Nintendo's best technically accomplished studios.
That and the adventure and story content is sounding like it could be fairly robust.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017

My hype levels are through the roof right now. If they also include upgradeable/unlockable spaceships/weapons...damn.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I hope it's more than just an Arwing, too. I'm not sure how the other vehicles will work with the shooting elements though...

Being a racing game, this also means it will have some level of customization too. That sounds pretty cool. I hope we have side quests that give us a ton of items for our vehicle(s).

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You're probably right but it was a hard sell. There's a reason why 60 fps for AAA games are not going to be the norm anytime soon - you can always spend the power to make it look better. So it looks better in trailers and screenshots. People like to look at pretty games. So even if Nintendo had an objective reason for SF0 looking poorly, it didn't make the problem disappear. It only explains it, not solves it.

Spoken the truth.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's more than just an Arwing, too. I'm not sure how the other vehicles will work with the shooting elements though...

Being a racing game, this also means it will have some level of customization too. That sounds pretty cool. I hope we have side quests that give us a ton of items for our vehicle(s).

I believe this will be a shoot'em up first, racing second. Yes you will be racing, but you won't be doing what you do in other racing games. In most racing games your focus is to take the corners correctly, use turbos (if any) and hope you don't crash.
In this game that won't be the focus. The focus will be just like any Star Fox game: shooting enemies, picking up powerups, avoiding obstacles. But you just happen to have a bunch of other players also trying to reach the end of the level before you do. That's where the "racing" parts comes in.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
That and the adventure and story content is sounding like it could be fairly robust.

Something else to dissect: It says we can talk to other characters in a fairly expansive hub. That sounds like, to me, we can get out of our arwing and talk to people...

I assume it will mostly be based on starfighters.

So Arwing, Arwing variants and the counteparts like whatever Wolf is using.

However, if it is a hub where we can talk to people, that would be a little strange to do in a moving airplane. Like I said above, I think we can get out of our plane, at least, but, if the hub is pretty big, traversal would be a little annoying with only an airplane. I think that means we will see some type of land-based vehicles, as well...At least, that's all I can think of, when I imagine a hub. The arwing doesn't fit well with that.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
However, if it is a hub where we can talk to people, that would be a little strange to do in a moving airplane. Like I said above, I think we can get out of our plane, at least, but, if the hub is pretty big, traversal would be a little annoying with only an airplane. I think that means we will see some type of land-based vehicles, as well...At least, that's all I can think of, when I imagine a hub. The arwing doesn't fit well with that.

Don't overthink it. Once you finish a mission, you'll go back to the HUB where you control a normal on-foot character (Fox?) and you talk to other on-foot characters. You can probably enter buildings to talk to other characters where you can pick up sidequests and stuff. Don't think will be a vehicle HUB like in Diddy Kong Racing.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
Guys. Retro is going to make Star Fox great again. This is huge if true. I am so happy. Please be a 2018 title.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you shouldn't share content of a podcast that is behind paywall
The only reason I did it was because ItWasMeantToBe19 did it the other week and I thought it was fine.

I apologize if I wasn't supposed too.

But can it be linked to (even if it's a private link)? I don't like to add source links to the rumor archive where there isn't a source to the original info.

That guy has me worried now that I wasn't supposed to do it lol. I'm afraid to give any links :(

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking 'hub world' in the context of Diddy Kong Racing, but I have to remind myself that that was an N64 game and there is a very good chance the hub world in Grand Prix (if the rumours are true) will be MUCH larger than in DKR haha.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I did it was because ItWasMeantToBe19 did it the other week and I thought it was fine.

The reason he shares stuff in private through podcasts on patreon is so he doesn't get backlash from angry uninformed mob on twitter and on forums like here.

That said, now that the info is out, Liam has known about Starfox before Eurogamer and GameInformer posted their reports, so what's he saying is probably true.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I don't see the problem with that. Wrong would be if you posted the audio or something. Posting transcribed info should be fine, if anything, it could motivate people to give him money for access.

Status
Not open for further replies.