• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This reaction this reminds me a lot of people's reactions to retro doing more DKC, but look how that turned out. Hopefully we don't have to wait for another system for people to appreciate this.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've been looking up stuff on Diddy Kong Racing to gauge what type of game this might be. I've never liked a racing game (including Mario Kart), but LOVED all of Retro's. I'm trying to find something positive here, for me.

HUB world:

Boss:

If I'm being honest, I'm not feeling it too much. I'm trying to see this as anything other than a racing game. Problem is, it's a racing game. Even the Boss Fights :P

I've been trying for the past few years to get into different types of genres, and racing games have been on the list. I've tried Project Cars, Forza Horizon, Mario Kart, and other small titles. I haven't been able to care for a single one. Usually I hate racing minigames, and ignore every racing sidequest I can.

Let me be clear, I'm going to give this a chance, I'm going to try to like it, but I can't help but feel it's just not gonna be for me. I think people in general will like it, though. I'm gonna buy this, most likely, so I'll get to find out myself, for sure. I'll just sell it if I don't end up caring for it.

The hub world might give me something to enjoy, I suppose. I just don't know if that will be enough. Hopefully Retro will be able to shake it up a bit and make it feel like the old Star Fox games. Racing games are on a track like an on-rails shooter, so it might be.

In the end, I'm hoping for the best. I'll look forward to the reveal.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not disappointed that it's a Star Fox racer, I'm disappointed that it's not F-Zero (if they were making a racer), or a new Star Fox Adventures (if they wanted to make a Star Fox game)

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Exactly. I'm picturing more of a high-speed flying race akin to DKR... with some landmaster races, of course.
I'm personally imagining a full blown A to B space racer (without laps, over great distances, think Dakar in space) with some planetary segments throughout. You could throw in full blown set pieces and even boss fights as well throughout the courses.

This kind of set up would also easily land itself to story content.

Like I randomly came up with this shit that would most certainly warrant a high budget and long dev time.

I don't understand why people can't imagine this being ambitous and big.

Jan 10, 2018
Okay, remove "going to be". When Retro, after having made the Metroid Prime Trilogy was their big American studio that had insane talent...and then became a novelty, once every 4-5 years developer. A perennial E3 disappointment factory.

You guys hate Tropical Freeze, 5 years is a long time and Retro Studios is now a utter trash studio.

Guys, we got the memo.

You hate them.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I've been looking up stuff on Diddy Kong Racing to gauge what type of game this might be. I've never liked a racing game (including Mario Kart), but LOVED all of Retro's. I'm trying to find something positive here, for me.

HUB world:

Boss:

If I'm being honest, I'm not feeling it too much. I'm trying to see this as anything other than a racing game. Problem is, it's a racing game. Even the Boss Fights :P

I've been trying for the past few years to get into different types of genres, and racing games have been on the list. I've tried Project Cars, Forza Horizon, Mario Kart, and other small titles. I haven't been able to care for a single one. Usually I hate racing minigames, and ignore every racing sidequest I can.

Let me be clear, I'm going to give this a chance, I'm going to try to like it, but I can't help but feel it's just not gonna be for me. I think people in general will like it, though. I'm gonna buy this, most likely, so I'll get to find out myself, for sure. I'll just sell it if I don't end up caring for it.

The hub world might give me something to enjoy, I suppose. I just don't know if that will be enough. Hopefully Retro will be able to shake it up a bit and make it feel like the old Star Fox games. Racing games are on a track like an on-rails shooter, so it might be.

Here's the thing: If you don't like racing games then I don't really see any reason to give this sort of thing a chance. DKR really is just a racing game, and having a hub world and boss fights doesn't change that.

That being said, not every game has to be for you. Racing games used to be a lot more common so look at this as something where fans of another genre finally get more games.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017

HUB world:

Boss:

The whole "Diddy Kong Racing" comparison is likely pretty superficial. I mean.. it's Star Fox. It could quite possibly have legit shooter bosses. Or do something very different.

I think anyone trying to judge the concept before an official reveal is being hasty. Like Mario+Rabbids there can be a lot more to a game than what a few words of a leak imply.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you don't like racing games there's little chance you'll enjoy this, just like you weren't enjoying metroid prime if you weren't a FPS fan or with DKCR/DKCTF if you weren't a 2D plateformer fan

no game can please anyone and retro never tried to make their games for everyone

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
if true, weird. I wonder why nintendo insists on wild spinoffs after lacklustre franchise entries when dedicated fans probably just want a return to form and redemption
still, retro is retro
and also I don't believe this

tbh I just want f-zero

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
50 pages already. Dat official reveal thread is going to be something else.

Concept sounds interesting, just hope we get the full reveal at E3.

Retro have yet to put a foot wrong; they get a free pass until the day they release a turd, as far as I'm concerned.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can get behind a reskinned star fox.

Though after Nintendo's comments about F-Zero not being viable for a return, I'm curious to know why they think Star Fox is significantly more viable. Clearly the series had already ran its course before the last game. And using the IP in another genre, after recent efforts, just seems like its one that's struggling to find modern relevance or is one that Nintendo wants to make relevant. Something that they could have done with F-Zero. Maybe this is supposed to be a game for casuals unlike F-Zero would be. but then they already have Mario Kart...

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
After the initial shock and mild disgust, I think I've come around with it. It's not really something I want, but I've got tremendous faith in Retro and I'm willing to see what they've got in store with this one.

All I can say is that it's a really, really good thing this was leaked. If it was revealed at E3, I probably would have been more upset than I already was.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you mean that it's bad if they take a lot of time to develop their great, very well-received games ? you'd prefer them to rush a metroid prime game a year ?

This sounds like apologism/damage control. Retro took two years between MP1 and three between MP2 -> MP3 -> DKCR. They're all among the best Nintendo games ever and didn't required them 4/5 yrs dev cycle. They don't need to "rush" anything.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Also, Andre is backing the rumor up himself with his sources. Cautiously going to go on real with this one.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it- I wasn't a huge fan of DKCR or TF. I've actually never been a fan of DKC so that probably makes sense. It's just not my type of platformer.

But one thing that Retro absolutely nailed in TF was contextual level design and awesome set pieces. Every one of the levels in that game not only told a story but usually did it in an explosive, bombastic way that was full of charm and production values.

Now, imagine that focus on level design being used to design race courses for an aerial/space racing game. Imagine flying through a space station as parts of it explode, or flying into an asteroid field that somehow creates a black hole pulling all of the asteroids towards the center, or a race beginning on Corneria and ending on Venom, where you need to fly past the opposing fleets during an enormous space battle.

The possibilities for Retro's ethos of level design to shine here are enormous. I'm so excited to see this game in action.

NewGuy

Nov 23, 2017
Why are people assuming a single SF racing game being made means the whole franchise is now a racing IP?

This same shit happened with Federation Force. Everyone childishly started crying about a 10 year old DS project being "what Metroid is now"... but we're getting Prime 4

Seriously, y'all, use your critical thinking skills

preach,

I don't know what it is with us Nintendo fans but we seem to always let the same hysteria come over us every time something slightly unique comes around.

I've seen reactions like this from; DK, Prime, M+R, SMASH, SMO even BofTW had a short stint of people freaking out because the E3 demo had no town in it...

like, come on guys.

Though after Nintendo's comments about F-Zero not being viable for a return, I'm curious to know why they think Star Fox is significantly more viable. Clearly the series had already ran its course before the last game. And using the IP in another genre, after recent efforts, just seems like its one that's struggling to find modern relevance or is one that Nintendo wants to make relevant. Something that they could have done with F-Zero. Maybe this is supposed to be a game for casuals unlike F-Zero would be. but then they already have Mario Kart...
The cast of Star Fox is just a much easier sell. Heck, it's still the premier meme generator for Nintendo due to how much people like Fox and the crew, even with the existence of Falcon Punch and that one bit from Super Paper Mario that gets posted so much.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Only Miyamoto said this and he's not even the general manager anymore. Also, Retro probably wanted to work on Star Fox.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don' have much affection for the Star Fox universe but even I admit that for a game like the one they describe has more potential than F-Zero

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone could make it good, it would be Retro, so no worries from that perspective but does Nintendo really need another character racer? I'm really hoping that there is some interesting twist to this whole endeavor as opposed to a rethemed Mario Kart game.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Imagine if some of y'all were in your 20s and 30s during the N64 era. Shit would've been exactly the same.

"Rare are making a fucking Diddy Kong racing spin-off? Where's DK Country? Waste of talent!"

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
If anyone could make it good, it would be Retro, so no worries from that perspective but does Nintendo really need another character racer? I'm really hoping that there is some interesting twist to this whole endeavor as opposed to a rethemed Mario Kart game.
If it's real, the twist is the hub/adventure aspect, no? I imagine that if this aspect if implemented it will be a rather robust addition, especially with Retro at the helm.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I'll say it- I wasn't a huge fan of DKCR or TF. I've actually never been a fan of DKC so that probably makes sense. It's just not my type of platformer.

But one thing that Retro absolutely nailed in TF was contextual level design and awesome set pieces. Every one of the levels in that game not only told a story but usually did it in an explosive, bombastic way that was full of charm and production values.

Now, imagine that focus on level design being used to design race courses for an aerial/space racing game. Imagine flying through a space station as parts of it explode, or flying into an asteroid field that somehow creates a black hole pulling all of the asteroids towards the center, or a race beginning on Corneria and ending on Venom, where you need to fly past the opposing fleets during an enormous space battle.

The possibilities for Retro's ethos of level design to shine here are enormous. I'm so excited to see this game in action.
That's what I'm talking about!

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Imagine if some of y'all were in your 20s and 30s during the N64 era. Shit would've been exactly the same.

"Rare are making a fucking Diddy Kong racing spin-off? Where's DK Country? Waste of talent!"
I mean maybe, but I think it's a little different when you compare the output volume of Retro vs peak Rare.
Plus when DKR came out, wasn't there a DKC only a year previous?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Actually, lol there was a bit of a tizzy/outcry when Diddy Kong Racing was revealed as a "surprise" game in 1997 because Nintendo basically had delayed their entire "fall 97 lineup" (Banjo-Kazooie, Zelda, etc.) to make DKR the main holiday title. People freaked because Mario Kart 64 had just released in the West a few months prior and the N64 "didn't need another kart racer! This is their big holiday game?! This is bullshit!". lol.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
latest

He is the hero
Leader of the team
Tough, brave, and super
It's the subtlety

Shining Little Wyvern
Makes the speed of light
Fightin' machine
Gonna be the star!

Considering how much clamoring there is for another DKR in this thread alone, let alone over the years, Nintendo is probably the only company that could get away with having more than one mascot racing game. The big difference here is that it does sound rather different from Mario Kart beyond just the theme, so I doubt we're going to get a guffaw-inducing kind of whiplash like we saw when Sony put out ModNation Racers and THEN did LBP Karting with the same developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.