• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
I think I'd rather get a true successor to Starfox adventures, where racing would be one of the minigames.

Starfox racing is a waste.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to read this thread but you all somehow managed to get to page 53 already. Anyway, this is a weird idea and would be better as a F-Zero game, but I will wait and see.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo takes its only western first party studio to make a game some c Japanese 3rd party could make. If this was a action adventure Star Fox game I could understand but a racing game no thanks.

Nov 23, 2017
Racing games being considered a third class or not "serious" genre around here is disappointing. But your manbaby meltdowns just make Retro stronger. Day 1 for me.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
poor retro, always the bridesmaid

why not just make a new fzero, it would freak out the faithful... its so bizarre they would do this with starfox that its probably true... and if true starfox is pretty DOA for nintendo to do the spin off reboot they like to go for as the final "test" (RIP chibi robo)

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like many developers could have taken this idea on - why does Retro have to be the one to have spent multiple years on it?? Disappointing if true (not the idea of the game itself, but that Retro is making it).

Why is the perception always that "studio X" is better off spending their talent on "game Y" just because you want it? Unless we later find out that they didn't want the project, chances are that they picked it themselves. Creative projects are generally better when made by choice rather than demand. With the series and genre at play here, it's highly unlikely that Nintendo was the one demanding the game be made.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
It's crazy to me that many people in this thread can't seem to imagine how great stuff like that would be.
I can only imagine it's because they see things on very strict terms and aren't great at the divergent thinking game. Kinda like how some people live their lives off of platitudes that they never stop to deconstruct or consider any nuance to.

Like, I get if it's not your thing. Nothing wrong with having different preferences. But some folks are acting personally affronted because they think being fans of something entitles them to tell the actual creators what they can or should do with their own IP, or that an IP/studio in general should only cater to their strict terms just because they're fans.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
It would be 1 or 2 high-level managers and Kimishima himself for this one. The parameters should have been set that Retro is to make a marquee new IP for the Switch that will be critically acclaimed and can turn heads and sell systems, and Retro can pitch their ideas narrowly to satisfy those parameters.
So they pitch Space Racer X with garbage unlikeable characters and no selling capacity. Or Big Ape Platformer, a 2D sidescroller featuring Biggy the Ape. Or Prime Troid, an FPS adventure.

It's possible that Retro doesn't have a whole lot of great unique IP ideas lying around. Maybe their strength is working within the confines of an existing IP. Or maybe they are developing something new on the side but it's taking a long time (as brand new IPs can). We don't know. It's pretty silly to just assume they can come up with a new, fresh, system selling blockbuster IP on the dot. And with all the great IPs Nintendo has, unless Retro truly has something magnificent why not let them do for other IPs what they did with Metroid?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I remember most of F-Zero's cast, and like 75% of them are unappealing.

Fat Mario Android, Offensively Gay Black Dude, Whatever Gomar & Shioh are, Bruce Willis and his obese fanboy alien friend, a Scientist with a beer gut, Samurai Goroh Clone, Samurai Goroh Jr., Morbidly Obese Mafia Boss...

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Game Informer's heard similar rumours from their sources as well:

We have heard many of the same rumors, though cannot and do not confirm the veracity of the sources. Rumors of the game have been swirling for several months in light of talk from some sources that Retro Studios' title has been struggling, with many at both Retro and Nintendo growing frustrated with the state of the project. These sources did not confirm whether the project being worked on was this Star Fox title.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
A Star Fox racing game?

You know, I could see that...

The Arwing controls could make for a very interesting game, too. Boost and Brake sharing energy. Rolling to decrease your turning radius, lasers to shoot at the opponents and track obstacles, but the ability to barrel roll to send lasers back at the one firing them...

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me. This will not play like F-Zero would at all if they do it right.

You have to balance boosting and still being able to brake to turn or avoid obstacles, you'd have to watch your tail and be ready to barrel roll if someone shoots at you, but doing that means you can't turns as sharp, so shooting someone as they go into a sharp corner to force them to take damage or take the turn slow is an option. And it even solves the problem of the leader having less to do if they have obstacles that need to be shot for them to deal with.

Yeah, Star Fox racing actually sounds pretty sweet to me.

If this is what we are getting with other players or cpus in their arwings being behind or infront of you depending of the boost mechanics, while you all blast enemies for higher scores, im all for it. Its basically and on rails star fox with a multiplayer racing component.

Im still a little scared about the name being litterally Grand Prix and how the leak describes the game which lends more into an actual racing championship, so the game just being DKR skinned as star fox. I prefer it to be a story with enemies attacking planets like every star fox and you all going out in your arwings being a cooperative mode and a lets see who is the best and ranks better at the same time.

More star fox zero with better scenery graphics and artstyle (really like the character artsyle of zero, so they can keep that), better classic controls and racing/scoring multiplayer, and less star fox characters big heads going out of starwing look a like karts on a anti gravity racing tracks.

While I love most of these versions of the characters, Nintendo REAAAALLLY needs to go back to the Melee design for Fox. It's easily the best one
Star fox zero character designs SHIT all over every version of the cast ever made and love that they are looking a little more similar know to the stop motion puppets.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine their games would be no where near as special or polished if that were the case. The games they release are damn good. I'd rather they work hard on releasing nearly perfect products than create tons of flawed experiences.
I mean that has nothing to do with your original point. People back in the day would be less upset because if they didn't like Diddy Kong Racing they could look to the other 10 games coming out from Rare instead on the N64. Retro is releasing one.

Killer Instinct Gold Fighting Nintendo 64 Nintendo 1996
Blast Corps Action Nintendo 64 Nintendo 1997
GoldenEye 007 First-person shooter Nintendo 64 Nintendo 1997
Diddy Kong Racing Racing Nintendo 64 Rare 1997
Banjo-Kazooie Platform Nintendo 64 Nintendo 1998
Jet Force Gemini Third-person shooter Nintendo 64 Rare 1999
Donkey Kong 64 Platform Nintendo 64 Nintendo 1999
Perfect Dark First-person shooter Nintendo 64 Rare 2000
Mickey's Speedway USA Racing Nintendo 64 Nintendo 2000
Banjo-Tooie Platform Nintendo 64 Nintendo 2000
Conker's Bad Fur Day Platform Nintendo 64 Rare

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's kind of the point - the absolute best Star Fox racing game there could be is most likely not going to be nearly as good as a game from Retro in another genre. In other words, I'd rather a very talented studio spend time making a non-Star Fox racing game. But whatever I guess - if this is for real, I'm sure it will be a damn good racer...
So at this point its about what genre you prefer.. Ok

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Star Fox adventures is just a weird Zelda clone. No need for that when you have Zelda
Metroid Prime is like Zelda but in first person and in the future, you explore huge environments and dungeon-like structures, and weapons give you access to new areas.

I'm sure retro studios would be able to further evolve the concept of Starfox Adventures, so that is less of a "weird" Zelda clone. Being Zelda-like ain't a bad thing. I'm sure they could also add flying sections, aerial battles, and space travel between planet etc.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
poor retro, always the bridesmaid

why not just make a new fzero, it would freak out the faithful... its so bizarre they would do this with starfox that its probably true... and if true starfox is pretty DOA for nintendo to do the spin off reboot they like to go for as the final "test" (RIP chibi robo)
F-Zero never sold well outside the first entry. The audience is a lot smaller than online fan hype would suggest. A Star Fox racing game with it's own unique mechanics stands a better chance of cultivating an audience than a dormant racing franchise that had multiple chances to do the same in its time.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
But we have mariokart already. I bet it will be awesome but not really excited for that type of game right now. Dissapointed if true
Yes we have Mario Kart.
And 3 (soon 4) Metroid Prime games.
We have loooots of adventure games too.

I mean, we have tons of games, and Retro decided (if the leak is real) to develop some futuristic racing game, because there's a lack of this kind of game and they felt like doing it.
As other people said, Retro is choosing to do the games they want, or at least they have some creative freedom, and all their games show their passion for the project.

It's funny to read "Waste of talent" or "Disappointing decision", like if Retro people were developing the game against their will.
The best game Retro can do is the game they feel like doing, so let's wait until the reveal and then decide if they were right or not when decided to do a racing game.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

y'all would be panicking no matter what that article said

could have called it the most ambitious racing game of all time and we'd hear "why can't they spend that ambition on something more eeeeeepic"

Also, Game Informer corroborated this rumor in the past

ImageResizer.ashx

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
one thing I am excited for about this is that there aren't too many great mom mari o kart arcade racing games out there anymore

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime is like Zelda but in first person and in the future, you explore huge environments and dungeon-like structures, and weapons give you access to new areas.

I'm sure retro studios would be able to further evolve that concept, so that is less of a "weird" Zelda clone. Being Zelda-like ain't a bad thing. I'm sure they could also add flying sections, aerial battles, and space travel between planet etc.

Come on man don't be dense. Anyone can see SFA is a very closely imitating a tradition pre BOTW Zelda game. Metroid prime is nothing like the two apart from some very videogamey things like they both have a main character and you do adventurey shit.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
F-Zero never sold well outside the first entry. The audience is a lot smaller than online fan hype would suggest. A Star Fox racing game with it's own unique mechanics stands a better chance of cultivating an audience than a dormant racing franchise that had multiple chances to do the same in its time.

Actually, both F-Zero X and Maximum Velocity were both >1M sellers. It went downhill with GX (unfortunately) and afterwards.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
- F-Zero represented Nintendo's arcade past (it's classic arcade gaming at its finest)...which Nintendo is distancing itself from post-GameCube

- Star Fox is a better IP for capturing a young audience...Nintendo still cares about a blue ocean strategy...that didn't just go away with the Wii

- F-Zero's last games on the GBA bombed spectacularly (the last title wasn't even localized), so there's a real aversion to returning to that IP

- Nintendo (Miyamoto) thinks it's easier to innovate and experiment with Star Fox than F-Zero

- Star Fox had its last release in 2016, so Nintendo thinks it's much more relevant in the eyes of the consumer. Meanwhile we haven't seen a trace of a new F-Zero game in 14 years...it's much harder to resurrect and justify. They did it with Kid Icarus: Uprising, but that doesn't mean it's easy to do with all IPs

- Star Fox characters are more distinct and mascoty (better for cross-promotional merch / licensing tie-in opportunities)

I don't think F-Zero is ever going to come back.

That's why i think cross ips are good in that case, cause you use everything you said to make fzero come back to

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Considering I've read a few different reports of internal issues within Retro over the years, I'm not all too surprised there might be problems with whatever they're working on. Retro seems to be a studio that delivers a crazy amount of quality for how often I've heard rumblings of serious shake-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.