Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The thought of David Wise composing the soundtrack to a Starfox racing game sends all sorts of warm fuzzy feelings down my core.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
For Nintendo to decline the very thought of F-Zero making a return, merely because Miyamoto for some odd reason can't see what new to bring to the table (seemingly ignorant of the potential for HD graphics, online, course editors etc., specifically regarding F-Zero), this is beyond odd.

I trust in Retro to deliver, but I need F-Zero speed!

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
If true, kind of like a five-star chef making mac and cheese. I'm sure it'll be great, but...

images

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retro game was obviously in development hell at some point, you can't explain their silence otherwise, but Metroid Prime already was and see how it ended up.
Let's wait for the game before making any kind of judgement.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For Nintendo to decline the very thought of F-Zero making a return, merely because Miyamoto for some odd reason can't see what new to bring to the table (seemingly ignorant of the potential for HD graphics, online, course editors etc., specifically regarding F-Zero), this is beyond odd.

This is not true. They wanted Criterion to make a new F-Zero game for Wii U, so it's not on Miyamoto at all.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Miyamoto doesn't call those shots anymore. If Nintendo is not interested in new F-Zero, that's on them (specifically, the new general manager).

Anni

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I have faith that this is going to be awesome. Count me excited! If this is some crazy large-scope DKRacing type game with Retro polish then it'll surely be great.

Really sad that the reaction is 100% going to be childish and embarrassing.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like rumors of development troubles because of course that's going to mess with the perception even if the quality of the project ends up fine.
But, yeah, something happened at retro, likely cancelling a project since it's taken so long

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, didnt something similar happen to metroid prime? maybe its too early to panic
Yup. Troubled development can happen, it's more about how the publisher handles it. IIRC, God of War 4 also had a "troubled" development and look how that game turned out.

We'll just have to patient and see what they bring to the table ourselves.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Retro game was obviously in development hell at some point, you can't explain their silence otherwise, but Metroid Prime already was and see how it ended up.
Wouldn't surprise me. If this is true it sounds like, given the departure from the rest of the series, this may not have even initially been a Star Fox game.

But I suppose another project being made concurrently could explain it as well.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo courted Criterion years ago to create an F-Zero prototype. They clearly have no problem with the IP. Sometimes things just don't work out. Kid Icarus was dormant for 20 years.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Nintendo say that their E3 will only focus on 2018 titles?

I wanna die if this isn't shown or talked about at E3.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me. If this is true it sounds like, given the departure from the rest of the series, this may not have even initially been a Star Fox game.

But I suppose another project being made concurrently could explain it as well.

I actually think it's very likely that it was a prototype for a new kind of racing game that was put a Starfox IP on it.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
So, what if that old Retro Studios Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumor from 2014 was true and the reskin to Star Fox is the reason it took so long ?????

https://kevincallahangames.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/the-strange-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/
This could also mean this isn't Retro's main project. Or at least there is potential for two separate big projects going on at Retro at once.

Unless of course, it is. It sounds like an interesting spin on a franchise that needs it.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Yup. Troubled development can happen, it's more about how the publisher handles it. IIRC, God of War 4 also had a "troubled" development and look how that game turned out.

We'll just have to patient and see what they bring to the table ourselves.

It didn't. Unless I missed something, anyway. You may be thinking of the cancelled game at the studio prior to this one.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I mean what is the point doing a spin off of a franchise that has been long written off dead? When was the last decent Star Fox game released, on Gamecube?

It will be a good game if Retro touches it they are far too talented for projects like this.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
This makes a lot of sense. A reboot that can be a fun game and also refresh the Kart genre a little.
But this may mean that we will definitely not see a new mario kart in the near future.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes we have Mario Kart.
And 3 (soon 4) Metroid Prime games.
We have loooots of adventure games too.

I mean, we have tons of games, and Retro decided (if the leak is real) to develop some futuristic racing game, because there's a lack of this kind of game and they felt like doing it.
As other people said, Retro is choosing to do the games they want, or at least they have some creative freedom, and all their games show their passion for the project.

It's funny to read "Waste of talent" or "Disappointing decision", like if Retro people were developing the game against their will.
The best game Retro can do is the game they feel like doing, so let's wait until the reveal and then decide if they were right or not when decided to do a racing game.
I have nothing against their decision. I'm saying I would be dissapointed. That's me. I don't think it's a waste of talent.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
The only disappointing thing about this is that it was leaked early, and I don't even like Star Fox.

Retro can do no wrong.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
i'm gonna be pissed if they cancelled diddy kong racing 2 to make star fox kong racing

gimme my happy cheerful colorful game with david fucking wise music man

gimme the best xmas/winter themed courses in the business mannnnnnnnnnn

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
This makes a lot of sense. A reboot that can be a fun game and also refresh the Kart genre a little.
But this may mean that we will definitely not see a new mario kart in the near future.

Nah, the post-launch for ARMS is basically done so the team is probably already working on Mario Kart 9: condering we see a new MK every 3-4 years, it'll probably be out in 2020-21, which would perfectly gives space for this Star Fox game to shine.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Oh my god I want that so bad now. You have potentially doomed this game to underwhelm me with this!
Yeah, it's funny how a lot of people here are collectively turning up their noses at the idea of getting "a mere racer" instead of "something ambitous" and I go and build up one of the most ambitous games in existence in my head, lol.

Lol, seriously.

Imagine a long A to B race in space with combat, bosses and epic set pieces along the way.

Clix

Banned
I really hate it when companies just sit on a beloved IP even though there is still demand for it. At that point, just let someone else work on it.

You hate it when companies want to make money? Demand for it? I love F-Zero, but that IP is not beloved. It has a niche audience that loves it, but the games do not perform well at all.

What a waste of a great studio and IP if this is true.

SF on the Wii U was bad enough. Now this? And no F-Zero?

eh?

Oh boy. Going to that lazy argument of "What a waste of a great studio now?"

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i'm sure the game will be good but... man really?

That this racing game isn't F-Zero is fucked up... They could have revived F-zero, that's they're whole thing, metroid prime, dk returns, f-zero could have been the next one...

also, please tell me this is just a side project... spending 4 years on that seems a bit too much

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm just taking a wild guess but I doubt the game will end up as similar to F-Zero as seems to be implied. I do think it will be its own distinct kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.