5. Metroid Dread
  6. Dofromantik
  7. Wildermyth
  8. The Artful Escape
  9. Hitman 3
  10. Forza Horizon 5
www.eurogamer.net

Eurogamer's game of the year is…

It has been 12 months, or as some might say a year, and there have been video games. In fact, looking at Eurogamer's to…

Top 10 readers choice. Full top 50 list in the link

1. Forza Horizon 5
  2. Metroid Dread
  3. Halo Infinite
  4. Psychonauts 2
  5. Returnal
  6. Deathloop
  7. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
  8. Resident Evil Village
  9. Disco Elysium
  10. Hades (Xbox and PS)

www.eurogamer.net

Eurogamer readers' top 50 games of 2021

Our readers count down their favourite games of the year.

Intresting differences between the lists.

May 14, 2021
Both lists are really good. I should check out Unpacking.

edit - annnnnd it's on Game Pass. Love when that happens

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Hitman feels like 2020 to me for some reason, but regardless it definitely deserves its spot and should be higher imo.

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
So dope to see Retunal in the top 3 and Death's Door in there too! Been working my way through DD on Switch and I've been finding it is the perfect pre-Elden Ring game. It's been a joy to explore the levels of this cozy game. Such an under-appreciated top 2021 gem.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I never see Ratchet on any of the critics lists, lol. I have an idea why, but looking forward to playing some day to confirm for myself (not in a rush to play because of my backlog and the price, but it's a must play for me down the road).

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
MS studios killing it! FH5 is jus top notch quality and Halo is the return of fps greatness. Psychonaughts 2 is just platforming joy. 2022 and beyond is going to be insane for Xbox

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Problem is most outlets won't have enough members who're actually up to date with XIV to give it a chance. EG's list is based on staff consensus so less surprising it lost out. Sad, but not that surprising.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
This list reminded me I have been wanting to play Deaths Door since I first saw it. Bonus it is currently 25% off (at least on XBox) for 1 more day.
Installing now and plan on checking it out hopefully later today.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've been watching my daughter make her way through Unpacking. It's kinda neat but it's an odd choice for a Game of the Year.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I personally loved Unpacking and am happy to see it get some love, it was a very unique and memorable experience that I couldn't put down until everything was done, played the whole thing in a night.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Don't really understand how Unpacking won. A nice, cozy time with an interesting way to tell a story? Sure. GOTY? I don't see it.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I never see Ratchet on any of the critics lists, lol. I have an idea why, but looking forward to playing some day to confirm for myself (not in a rush to play because of my backlog and the price, but it's a must play for me down the road).

I think it's because Ratchet is a pretty safe game. It's not bad, but it's not doing anything special either (graphics aside).

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's charming and that's about it? There's nothing novel or exceptional about the gameplay, and there's nothing novel or exceptional about the story. Games of the Year tend to be substantial in some way.

It would be like giving Picross S6 or whatever Game of the Year; I enjoyed my time with it, I played it a lot, it doesn't have any real flaws, I'd recommend it to anyone, but it's not a GotY contender.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's charming and that's about it? There's nothing novel or exceptional about the gameplay, and there's nothing novel or exceptional about the story. Games of the Year tend to be substantial in some way.

It would be like giving Picross S6 or whatever Game of the Year; I enjoyed my time with it, I played it a lot, it doesn't have any real flaws, I'd recommend it to anyone, but it's not a GotY contender.

I think that's a personal limitation that you've put on the award. Hearthstone ran away with my GOTY award in 2014. Didn't need a substantial story or anything to get it for me.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think that's a personal limitation that you've put on the award. Hearthstone ran away with my GOTY award in 2014. Didn't need a substantial story or anything to get it for me.
I only mentioned story because there's not really anything in the gameplay department either (I had the same experience watching my daughter play it as I would have playing it myself). The entire game is basically one of those side activities in a Professor Layton game like making tea or training a dog turned into a standalone game.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
It's crazy how Xbox Game Studios has gone from barely getting any GOTY nominations to getting 2 in the critics and 3/4 (if you want to count Deathloop) for fan votes and winning a few GOTY lists. This generation is going to be banging from all 3 platform holders.