• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's charming and that's about it? There's nothing novel or exceptional about the gameplay, and there's nothing novel or exceptional about the story. Games of the Year tend to be substantial in some way.

It would be like giving Picross S6 or whatever Game of the Year; I enjoyed my time with it, I played it a lot, it doesn't have any real flaws, I'd recommend it to anyone, but it's not a GotY contender.
Some of the best environmental and mechanical storytelling in Unpacking, hard disagree on "nothing novel or exceptional".

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I forgot about Wildermyth. Feels like that was last year. That game's somewhere in my list as well for sure.

I've never actually played D&D or whatever, but I imagine Wildermyth to be kind of an AI-driven version. It's technically AI, I guess? I don't know that it's really particularly advanced, it's not magic and you'll bump up against limitations, but procedural storytelling is a really interesting area of game design and one I'd like to see more games take a crack at and iterate on. Sucks that Warner Bros patented the Nemesis system. That has stifled development for sure.