AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
$400 is the highest.

Nintendo isn't releasing a $500 console.

$350-400 is the ballpark.

if this thing really has all the specs that is has supposedly going for it, i don't see how nintendo cannot release it under what sony and microsoft are currently offering for their high-end consoles. the public has shown they're extremely okay with paying $500 for a video game console since 2020.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Can easily see this being $400-500.

The value prop for this is very different than a PS5 and series s/x.

And the market is very willing to pay based on Steam deck success.

The market that bought steam deck is willing to do so, but that's not the same demographic that Nintendo sells to

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
$399 is the very ceiling of a mass market device, but I have a feeling they might need to push it to $429.

It also goes to show how important for Nintendo to have one of their marquee titles out at LAUNCH. Having 1 game attach rate will help them break even.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
$450 is the ceiling for the Switch 2 in my eyes, one that I'm starting to think it might be more likely.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
if this thing really has all the specs that is has supposedly going for it, i don't see how nintendo cannot release it under what sony and microsoft are currently offering for their high-end consoles. the public has shown they're extremely okay with paying $500 for a video game console since 2020.

I paid $600 (might have actually been $699...can't actually remember now) for one of these in '94.
254585-3do_fz1.jpg

That wasn't even the most expensive console (factoring game costs as well) you could get then either.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I also remember the meltdowns about how the joycons were priced at $80.

I feel like nobody is talking about what the new controllers are gonna be like. The Switch introduced haptics beyond the traditional rumble we had for generations, and then Sony took it a step further (along with adaptive triggers) for the Dualsense. I wonder how Nintendo is responding
Better haptics for sure. Hopefully better motion controls. It drifts far more than the Wii U ever did and the pointer controls can't compare to the Wii. They did well for such a tiny controller, but when certain things feel like a regression, there's a problem. Then there's the whole stick drift debacle…so hopefully Hall effect sticks or something else.

I'm most curious about any updates to the rail. They need to improve their reliability and it's easy for kids to put them in the wrong way. I hope they go crazy with this. Like a magnetic system that snaps onto any side.

What I really want most are better ergonomics. But I assume you're really asking about what new thing they'll introduce. Going off their old patents and Iwata Asks and such, I feel like one feature they've teased but never been able to fully figure out is customizable controllers. No idea how they'd pull it off though and I can't find the Iwata Asks where I thought they talked about it. Was it a dream?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more likely that the speculation about Switch 2's power is overly optimistic than that Nintendo sells it for over $399.

Feb 13, 2018
It has to be around 400 $. It's not like they can go anywhere else with the price. It can't be more expensive than a PS5 Disc model/Series X or even a base model Steam Deck. It also can't be the same price or cheaper than the current OLED Switch. The maximum they will do is something like 449 $ while the minimum/best case is 399 $. That is my guess.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
$399 without a dock in the box is also a totally Nintendo solution, especially if they maintain Switch 1 dock compatibility (which isn't likely).

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I don't even see that happening. I guess we won't know till we know the launch date and price.

Of course. I doubt it would happen as well, but after the success of the Switch without a price drop, I'm convinced they could've charged $399 in 2017 and still been successful, so I also think they could charge $499 in 2024.

i think if it was 350 we would have a switch price drop by now

Well, we could still get one for the holidays.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
£450 is where I personally see it going. I think Nintendo are cocky after people paid £350 for the Switch and they think people will pay £100 more easily.

I think if they have people after their showcase presentation going "OMG that Mario game looks like the movie!!"*
"Did you see that new Mario Kart?!"**
"Did you see retro's work on Metroid Prime 4?!? {Drools}"
"Holy Shit RDR2 has been confirmed at 4K/30 and 1080p on the handheld WTF?!" People may just slap that money on the table.

*It obviously won't reach anywhere near CG film level but I can imagine people making comparisons with Mario's Moustache and eye details, and how vibrant and full the Mushroom Kingdom looks like and a lot of hyperbole and comparisons with Kingdom Hearts 3 and arguments by people trying to analyse 3 seconds of full screen footage if what they're witnessing are very nice screen space reflections or ray tracing 😂

**I do expect a new Mario Kart to look incredibly good, just how Mario Kart 8 looked too good for the Wii U and still on the Switch despite being an old game is one of the prettiest games on the Switch despite it being a Wii U game. Really looking forward to seeing what the Mario Kart team does with beefy PS4 specs and DLSS in their hands to Mario Kart, hell even handheld mode will look stunning at Xbox One Specs.

AndTAR

Oct 28, 2017
I paid $600 (might have actually been $699...can't actually remember now) for one of these in '94.
254585-3do_fz1.jpg

That wasn't even the most expensive console (factoring game costs as well) you could get then either.
I had to reverse image search this, despite thinking i knew the appearance of all old consoles. So that's how the 3DO looked, for some reason I did not know it looked like this. I seriously thought it was an obscure N64 addon of some kind, considering the similarities.

Just generally surprised about the visual similarities of the N64 - so Nintendo actually sort-of copied the design of 3DO for it. All these years and I didn't know about this, lol.

But besides - yes, price tolerance is surprisingly plastic, Switch 2 may be handheld, but if they for some reason get serious hype going they could probably get away with higher pricing. Maybe an enormous influx of ports being possible will simply be enough. As they say, people buy more with emotions than logic. If "the experience" comes off as warranting the price tag, I'm sure they'll increase the console pricing to however-much they can get away with ..

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I had to reverse image search this, despite thinking i knew the appearance of all old consoles. So that's how the 3DO looked, for some reason I did not know it looked like this. I seriously thought it was an obscure N64 addon of some kind, considering the similarities.

Just generally surprised about the visual similarities of the N64 - so Nintendo actually sort-of copied the design of 3DO for it. All these years and I didn't know about this, lol.

I had both systems and never really thought they were all that similar. The N64 always made me think of a car (like a Rolls Royce), while the 3DO some kind of helipad or shuttle launch pad. The only thing they really had in common maybe to me were the front side "legs" and the fact that they were both black. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This. Wii, Wii U and 3DS same story, always 50$ higher than expected.

400$ is very optimistic imho.
$450 is my guess but how they priced prior consoles has no bearing.
With price inflation post COVID, Sony raised PS5 prices. But in the past year the chip shortages have eased significantly which means memory prices have crashed , but general inflation in the economy since COVID had impacted prices of everything.

They will price it appropriate IMHO given their lessons learned from 3DS and Wii U, that's as far as they'll go in terms of looking at the past. There's no 'rule' that it needs to be $X higher than expected.

Switch being $300 instead of the rumoured $250 was one example of assumptions being taken as fact. $250 was the shieldTV pricing at the time and people just assumed Nintendo would eat the cost of the dock and sticking a screen into the thing. No one credible actualy reported $250. It was an internet guess based on flawed assumptions.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I am not really prepared to spend 400+ on another console. Will first party stuff still come out on the Switch 1 when this thing gets released?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I am not really prepared to spend 400+ on another console. Will first party stuff still come out on the Switch 1 when this thing gets released?

Definitely, huge majority Nintendo games will most likely be cross gen for quite time, similar like Sony was done with PS4 and PS5.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018

Traditionally no but this is a sequel console so I'm firmly going to say yes to some but 100% gonna get exclusives like a new Mario or Mario Kart or something for Switch 2.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
All this talk of $400 is making me worried about what the Japanese price will be. With how bad the yen is doing, ¥50,000 wouldn't be out of the question, but that's an almost 70% increase over the original Switch and about 40% over the OLED. It's a real rough price for the market.

For reference, Sony is releasing the PlayStation Portal at ¥30,000 compared to $200 in the US.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Honestly from an outside perspective as someone who ended up skipping the Switch, I think that even at a higher price point than those speculated here the hardware could be way worth it from what we know. A proper high performance handheld that can handle current gen games and support DLSS for a clean result on a handheld and hopefully a decent battery life, together with Nintendo's excellent game lineup, could easily even retail for $500 and I will still think its a worthwhile investment for it. Ill take that if it means they supply it with enough storage and dont push everyone to purchase an SD card.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Now I'm imagining a timeline where Nintendo is selling the Switch OLED and the Switch 2 for the same price haha - directly next to each other on the same shelf.

Which is crazy, if the hardware is light years apart, the Switch OLED struggles at nearly everything but the Switch 2 is going to be significantly ahead of the Steam Deck in its tech, yet Nintendo will be selling them for basically the same price? Crazy!

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Traditionally no but this is a sequel console so I'm firmly going to say yes to some but 100% gonna get exclusives like a new Mario or Mario Kart or something for Switch 2.

I am willing to bet that next 3D Mario will be cross gen, Nintendo will want to sell next 3D Mario to current Switch install base also, that will be over 140m+..

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
I am willing to bet that next 3D Mario will be cross gen, Nintendo will want to sell next 3D Mario to current Switch install base also, that will be over 140m+..
I'm willing to counter that and bet the next 3D Mario will be exclusive to the newer platform and its feature subset.

They want to drive incentive to their new platform and grow their install base not subtract from it, that's not how it works.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I honestly doubt it, Nintendo's probably gonna want 3D Mario as a motivator to sell hardware to the masses early on.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I kind of doubt it, Nintendo will want to sell the Switch to to 140 million people and 3D Mario games are once in a gen evergreen titles. It's a bit easier for them when they'll be selling it for full price until the Switch 3 comes out.

All this talk of $400 is making me worried about what the Japanese price will be. With how bad the yen is doing, ¥50,000 wouldn't be out of the question, but that's an almost 70% increase over the original Switch and about 40% over the OLED. It's a real rough price for the market.

For reference, Sony is releasing the PlayStation Portal at ¥30,000 compared to $200 in the US.

Is that a lot? A lot of us have no yardstick for how much things cost in Yen, I can just plug the conversion into google and it says ¥ 30,000 is almost exactly $200. I assume it's usually not that bad of a conversion.

Edit, started looking at trends and converting, yeah, looks like the Yen has had an awful time. A direct conversion from USD would put the Switch 2 at the same price as a PS5.

On a related note, if you're on vacation in Japan from the US, buy a PS5, wow they're "cheap" there.

Last edited:

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any talk about how expanding the storage might work?

If the internal storage is UFS 3.1 or something similar, that would be faster than SD cards are capable of, so would it still be possible to use SD cards as game storage in Switch 2?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any talk about how expanding the storage might work?

If the internal storage is UFS 3.1 or something similar, that would be faster than SD cards are capable of, so would it still be possible to use SD cards as game storage in Switch 2?

I don't think there has been any talk, no. That's something we won't know until it's announced.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there has been any talk, no. That's something we won't know until it's announced.

Yeah storage will be an interesting area to keep an eye on.

Even though the Switch only came with 32 GB at launch, I didn't find it to be a big deal since it's so easy and cheap to expand. I can see that not being the case with Switch 2.