• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
BG3_Astarion.webp

Larian Studios didn't so much smash last year's Baldur's Gate 3 out of the park as launch it straight into orbit, collecting countless Game of the Year awards and even a few BAFTAs along the way. But while the studio has made it clear it has no interest in returning for a Baldur's Gate 4, Dungeons and Dragons owner Wizard of the Coast is definitely onboard for more, and is currently "talking to lots of partners" about the future of the series.

That's according to Eugene Evans, senior vice president of digital strategy and licensing for Wizards of the Coast and parent company Hasbro, who spoke with PC Gamer following Baldur's Gate 3's recent BAFTA wins. Evans confirmed the company is keen to continue the series, and has started having conversations to that effect, although it sounds like it'll be some time before anything specific is revealed. "We're now talking to lots of partners," Evans explains, "and being approached by a lot of partners who are embracing the challenge of, what does the future of the Baldur's Gate franchise look like?"

"So we certainly hope that it's not another 25 years, as it was from Baldur's Gate 2 to 3, before we answer that," Evan continued. "But we're going to take our time and find the right partner, the right approach, and the right product that could represent the future of Baldur's Gate."

As for Larian, it confirmed it was hanging up its D&D hat during a GDC talk back in March. "Baldur's Gate will always have a warm spot in our heart," Larian's founder and CEO Swen Vincke told attendees. "We'll forever be proud of it, but we're not gonna continue in it. We're not gonna make new expansions, which everybody is expecting us to do. We're not gonna make Baldur's Gate 4, which everyone is expecting us to do. We're gonna move on - we're gonna move away from D&D and start making a new thing."

And as for what that new thing might be, Vincke later told Eurogamer it's something "big and ambitious", and "new in the sense that it is different from the things that we've done before."

www.eurogamer.net

Wizards of the Coast "now talking to lots of partners" about next Baldur's Gate

Larian Studios didn't so much smash last year's Baldur's Gate 3 out of the park as launch it straight into orbit, colle…

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
What independent studios exist currently that can make a triple A RPG? Larian and CD Projekt are the only two I can think of

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly after BG3 I can't imagine any developer being brave enough to make a Baldur's Gate 4. There's no way I can imagine any future BG games possibly living up to the expectations set by 3, definitely not any time soon

Leancarp900

Feb 13, 2023
This sounds like that time FIFA said they were talking with tons of partners after breaking up with EA. I don't think anything has come out of it other than crypto games.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that WotC will want whoever they give the license to rush the game and it will be half baked compared to BG3.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I can't imagine there are many studios both willing and able to go through the sort of development process needed to live up to BG3.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Other than CDProjekt, I guess get into bed with Microsoft and let InXile or Obsidian try it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Original article
www.pcgamer.com

Hasbro wants to make another Baldur's Gate sequel but it's early days yet: 'We certainly hope that it's not another 25 years'

The latest News,/news,,news, breaking news, comment, reviews and features from the experts at PC Gamer
I'm really not sure who could take up the reigns. The obvious candidate is Bioware but I dunno that they can pull it off; and a company like CD Projekt, I wouldn't have the faith in them to do it to begin with, but they're prolly to tied up with their own projects to even try.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly can't see anyone touching this.

The expectation for this would be astronomical high, so would be the cost for a Baldurs Gate 4 and there is also no other studio capable of taking on such a project outside of maybe CDPR but they are more into OW action rpgs.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
BG3 was fine as a huge standalone project. A new game doesn't have to try and be anything like bg3. The problems are going to come from wanting the game out sooner than later and not giving them time.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly after BG3 I can't imagine any developer being brave enough to make a Baldur's Gate 4. There's no way I can imagine any future BG games possibly living up to the expectations set by 3, definitely not any time soon
BG3 is good but there's a lot of talent imo in the CRPG space and there's a lot of great games in that genre not made by Larian. It can just be good, even if it's not as good as BG3 to people. Perfectly happy with that.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
BG3 is good but there's a lot of talent imo in the CRPG space and there's a lot of great games in that genre not made by Larian. It can just be good, even if it's not as good as BG3 to people. Perfectly happy with that.
There's a lot of great CRPG studios out there but how many can make them with the production value and visuals of BG3?

Oct 27, 2017

If I am the dev that's making this game I'm calling it anything other than Baldurs gate 4. Baldurs gate: origins, baldurs gate: legacy, baldurs gate: dark alliance 3, anything to not make it a direct sequel to Bg3

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I do not know who they would trust to make BG4. Honestly, anyone I can think of is either bought out for a certain platform or definitely not where they used to be.
I personally would give it to Obsidian but I would want the game be available to everyone not just PC and X. Only other one is CDPR but... they are working on their own things. I would not trust the current Bioware with it at all.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of great CRPG studios out there but how many can make them with the production value and visuals of BG3?
I don't think that's a realistic bar to judge any of them on. How's anyone supposed to know what those studios are capable of with a healthy budget. They haven't had them as far as I know speaking generally(would rather not be more specific of which studio and then drill down into their budgets atm). That and I really enjoyed my time with BG3 but I'm not enamored with it enough to ignore how buggy the game was on release and still is. I genuinely had to restart act 2 from an old save due to a bug preventing me from interacting with an object I HAD to. Blanking on the name of it right now but that's garbage. Another time a friends character I was playing with just no longer moved. Could do every other action but move and nothing we tried worked to get his ass moving. Had to restart from a prior save again and re-do a boss fight. The first patch for BG3 resolved over 1000 bugs if I remember right. That's gross, glad they worked on the issues of course, but that shouldn't be okay just because the game was good overall.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Those are issues of time and money. I'm sure if you give them the same amount of funding and space that Larian managed to gobble up, any one of those or even some new upstart could achieve the same.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"We need someone as cheap as possible who will listen to all our notes and make exactly what we want without pushing back"
*four years later*
"why did our Baldur's Gate follow-up sell significantly worse!? no one could've predicted this!!!!!!!"

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just pessimistic given the state of the industry, but I'm guessing the most likely result for BG4 is that years from now I read an article revealing "(some studio) was secretly working on BG4 and then it was canceled". Alternatively, they try to get their own studio together and then that happens.

Really feels like losing Larian kills the chances of it being made anytime soon. The only other CRPG company I hear about that seems like it would fit is uhhh making games for their competition, so.

I'd love to see what Supergiant could do with the IP

I love Supergiant and would hate to see them bound in by this frankly very very boring established setting instead of being able to come up with their own ideas. Even with Hades they were able to put their own spin on things.

Krazie

Jun 6, 2022
Dark Alliance 3 would be a no-brainer to capitalize on the current name recognition

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
They done fucked up their relationship with Larian, those stupid fuckheads

Not true at all, Larian has said like 15 times they just wanted to make their own IP and game and that they had nothing but positive things to say about working with the D&D license.

Of course everyone keeps playing that up as some sort of lie, despite Larians head being about the most up front blunt person I have ever heard speak lol

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Obsidian is the only one that comes to mind that could maybe...maybe...maybe pull it off.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
2009 you mean? BG3 feels like a natural evolution to DAO.

Unfortunately bioware fumbled it all and moved away from their roots. Don't see them getting close to the heights they used to be at. Really sad honestly.
It can be anywhere within the Jade Empire to Mass Effect 3 range, really. Their output at the time was rock solid.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
Aside from Owlcat and Obsidian, can't really think of who would have both the desire and capability of trying to follow up BG3.