• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should reparations happen?

• Yes

Votes: 192 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 248 46.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 7.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 50 9.4%

• Total voters

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
doesn't even have to be reparations. just help nations that aren't as fortunate as we are today and try to unfuck the mess we left behind all over the world.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes, I feel the Netherlands has a moral obligation to compensate for slavery and colonialism. The practical execution of this obligation is going to be hard and slow though, that's why we need the country to buy into the principle first before we discuss how it would work. It's not going to be something a single government coalition will accomplish.

At the very least, appropriated art should be returned, perhaps with offers to finance or help set up storage and curation. Where we took away language, custom and religion, we should support local initiatives or institutions to preserve these (which likely already happens through EU programs, but we should take a special interest in cultures we tried to erase.)

After that, it gets complicated fast. I'm not in favour of individual reparations because the huge bureaucracy that requires will most certainly create more bad blood between us and the victims (e.g. demanding proof or fraud mitigation measures.) Lump sums to governments runs into issues of local corruption or going against our national security interests or EU diplomatic posture.

So at the very least, I want a serious investigation into how reparations could be translated into actual policy. It's not something we can just do overnight even if the majority agrees on the moral imperative (which is unlikely in the current climate.)

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the first 13 countries with the highest proportion of foreign aid in their budgets are european ones, with several former colonial powers being among a lot of international aid given is woefully mispent/reallocated though, not sure how much of it ever gets to the little guy. a lot of is probably because of colonial powers either cutting or running or being forced to leave without stable ruling structures being in place

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm not European but I don't even think straight up reputations would be possible for that situation. England exploited way too much of the world to be able to just pay people back

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
This is just not true. The massive economic impact the exorbitant reparations had and the national shame associated with them very much were used directly by Hitler.

And yes, the reparations were massive and crippling. They were impossible to meet to the point that the country defaulted on them 4 years after the plan was established and paid for it (after the Ruhr occupation) with American investors' money.

‐------------
I would much rather see increased development aid spending for African countries. Much easier to sell to the public.

From what Ive read it was about 2,5 % of gdp. Hardly crippling. And Germany had to be "compelled" to pay. I honestly havent read up on the latest thoughts but last I read up on it the weimar government got a lot more of the blame.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Definitely not. There are a lot of issues with this.

Fundamentally I don't think anyone should have to be punished or "pay" crimes committed by their predecessors.

If you look into it further if is extremely difficult to decide who should pay and who should benefit.

Those who should pay-the beneficiaries of colonialism right? Consider the UK, a colonial nation. If you consider the modern inhabitants of the UK, a lot of us were "victims" of colonialism rather than beneficiaries. Ireland was one of the most brutally treated possessions. At least 25%of the UK are of Irish descent, with about 10% having an Irish grandparent. About 7-8% of the UK is "Asian" (here that means Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi) and 4%+ is black. 3%is mixed, and about 5%is non - british white (mostly Eastern European). Is it right to be asking all these people to contribute to reparations?

Who should benefit: a lot of former colonies are doing very well now. Should the UK be paying reperations to Singapore or Ireland? Should Bangladesh and Pakistan get more than India, because they are poorer now?

Colonialism was complicated, the winners and losers and not always very clear. A lot of people suffered, but many also benefited.

Colonialism ended several generations ago now. We should be looking forward, and not acting as victims.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely not. There are a lot of issues with this.

Fundamentally I don't think anyone should have to be punished or "pay" crimes committed by their predecessors.

If you look into it further if is extremely difficult to decide who should pay and who should benefit.

Those who should pay-the beneficiaries of colonialism right? Consider the UK, a colonial nation. If you consider the modern inhabitants of the UK, a lot of us were "victims" of colonialism rather than beneficiaries. Ireland was one of the most brutally treated possessions. At least 25%of the UK are of Irish descent, with about 10% having an Irish grandparent. About 7-8% of the UK is "Asian" (here that means Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi) and 4%+ is black. 3%is mixed, and about 5%is non - british white (mostly Eastern European). Is it right to be asking all these people to contribute to reparations?

Who should benefit: a lot of former colonies are doing very well now. Should the UK be paying reperations to Singapore or Ireland? Should Bangladesh and Pakistan get more than India, because they are poorer now?

Colonialism was complicated, the winners and losers and not always very clear. A lot of people suffered, but many also benefited.

Colonialism ended several generations ago now. We should be looking forward, and not acting as victims.

Yes Ireland should no doubt be getting reperations. Britain can't even properly apologise for its role in the famine let alone the 800 years of brutal occupation.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
To be expected that a huge chunk of Europeans here have no self awareness. That being said, not every European country participated in colonialism but was in fact a victim of it so there are extreme cases like Britain/France/Spain to go along with countries like Ireland.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
You do know what generation means right?
Yes. I think it's extremely disingenuous to refer to a time that actual living people remember as "generations ago". If you said "segregation ended several generations ago now. We should be looking forward, and not acting as victims" about the US, you'd be laughed of the thread.

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sins of the fathers, etc, etc.
Strongly against reparations for crimes committed by dead people against dead people.
It turns into a selective enforcement situation, which means whoever has more political capital gets benefits, and everyone else fucks off.
But there are plenty of people still alive who lived through it.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I think it's extremely disingenuous to refer to a time that actual living people remember as "generations ago". If you said "segregation ended several generations ago now. We should be looking forward, and not acting as victims" about the US, you'd be laughed of the thread.

Exactly. Whether it was 50 years, 100 years, 200 years ago it doesn't matter. Suffering is suffering.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The amount of white people interested in restoring a fair balance to global equity is a shrill minority.

White People don't want a fair world.

Ignoring the fact that the West and the ODA hand out a hundred billion dollars a year in foreign aid...

Looking from a US perspective alone, Americans are not only interested in providing additional foreign aid to Africa, they're also more inclined to increase foreign aid to Africa by cutting foreign aid to Eastern Europe.

Americans are more likely to support direct aid to Africa than they are for aid to Black Americans.

It's for completely bullshit ego back patting reasons built on stereotypes.

My question for this thread is, outside of the significant amount of foreign aid provided, and outside of providing more foreign aid (and outside of returning artifacts and the like since that was a different thread), what else would you include in reparations outside of writing a check to these countries, which is already being done?

Even Croatians like The Doomed One pay into foreign aid and support due to being a part of the EU.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
But the 50's (which you're lost referred to), literally was generations ago. Several generations have passed. Someone born in the 50's is likely to be a grandparent and many will be great grandparents. Several generations have passed. Few people who were adults at the time are still alive (they would be 90+.) ie there are few people alive who have any responsibility for colonialism.

Jun 17, 2019
So questions then...

1. If payments were to go out to places, how would it be watched? As other's have pointed out various governments are corrupt and tend to horde the money given to them for aid and use it for their own things (Planes, cars, clothing, etc.) or use it to cause harm to their own people (paying for military items to oppress others in their nation. How will it be made sure that the money is getting out there properly?

2. How much does each person get and how do you divide it all up? Take Korea right now for example with Japan. The Labor situation where there was forced labor to work at companies during the time of occupation. Does the money go to the remaining family? How much do they get? Is it going to be based on if the person was actually part of the situation, or how much work they did?

3. Do we also expect payment in regard to shorter periods of colonialism, and slave holdings? Example, Spain for a very brief time had slaves from Japan, but that was cut by the Tokugawa Shogunate after a period of time and we don't know the exact number of people used or sent over to South America. Not to mention the issue of POWs and kidnapped people from other countries, does that qualify too?

Honestly, I sort of like a mixed thing for this. A fund set up for use by the country to pay out fees to either individuals or groups based on documentation of some sort and investment in the countries that need it most. As other's have also said you have to figure out a cut off date, or else you can go back as far as Rome and the various earlier empires that kidnapped and captured people to be used as Slaves. Also, said money needs to be watched to make sure that it's not being abused by the government and put in peoples pockets.

And one other question, what about the deal where work = paying for becoming free? Do you pay for that as well?

Art stolen should go back., sure, namely if the place that it's going to can keep the item safe, and it needs to go back for public use, not private use. Drives me crazy when I hear about some art piece that was returned and then the owner that got it back decides to sell it off to a private collector instead of giving it to a museum. What was the point in returning it if they're just going to sell it again?

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
lol at the many "no's".

as a fellow European, the amount of genocide committed against Africa and Asia and the Americas are so immense and horrifying that nothing short of complete and utter capitulation to the former colonized nations should be expected.

shit even right now European nations are leeching of the "third world" with neocolonial systems and exploitation. Just take a look at what France is doing in Africa still to this day!

Last edited:

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
There are things European former colonial powers could do besides throw billions at Africa with thoroughly mixed results.

I'd support other measures that helped the countries still struggling to prosper with freedom and security. I don't believe a lump sum would actually help those countries or the people that live there in a meaningful way

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking pragmatically with richer nations as a whole, it's a far better investment to provide aid to stabilize the global south now versus when situations get way worse in the future. If you don't want all these immigrants in the first place maybe help make their countries less of a "shithole" so they can lead happy lives there like every human on earth wants to.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Countries like England, France and Spain definitely should. You Americans need to understand though that 'European' includes a lot of countries. Many of them had little to no involvement in colonialism. Some of them didn't even exist at the time. Demanding that e.g. Latvia should pay reparations because Belgium committed genocide in Congo is not right either.

Countries that heavily abused colonies and enriched themselves through the suffering of others should help their former victims in some way.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather see aid go to the countries that need it the most, rather than aid going to countries that just happened to be former colonies.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I come from a country (Greece) that not only did not participate in colonialism but was actually a victim of Ottoman imperialism and occupation for 400 years.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
It's more complex than just "pay them for the damage". Politics exist.

Our countries are absolutely responsible for the situation of many of our colonies nowadays - how we drew the borders, the people we kept in power, the genocides, the exploitation, that kind of thing. And we should definitely do something to help our former colonies.

That being said, there's politics. If we send money to a free, democratic, functional country, then we can assume the money will be used for the good of its citizens. However, many former colonies ended up with corrupt governments - by our fault, most of the time. And you see how that can become a problem. Not only we'd send money that will enrich a few oligarchs instead of the people, but we'd help them use that money as propaganda about how they made an european country bend to their will.

It's complex, and we can't just start toppling governments left and right. I'm all for helping, but we can't just send money and say it's settled.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
There are things European former colonial powers could do besides throw billions at Africa with thoroughly mixed results.

I'd support other measures that helped the countries still struggling to prosper with freedom and security. I don't believe a lump sum would actually help those countries or the people that live there in a meaningful way
From what I've seen most people that live in those countries want tools and infrastructure more than anything else. They don't want a blank check, and they generally don't want people to swoop in and "fix" things, they just want to be lent a hand when they need it. Honestly I think that the thing that would probably help them the most is cheap and easy access to IP.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Never going to happen lol. European countries fucked over so many countries all over the world.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a maybe. I think there are situations where reparations could be justified, but I don't know by any framework you could do so that was clear cut. What period of history do we think Europeans should pay for? Does this extend for Turkey that also had a large part of Africa. I'm not saying no, I'm just not sure how you implement this practically.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
So there's been a lot of discussion about reparation here in America for slavery . I got me thinking about European colonialism. European colonialism one of the greatest crimes of humanity in which countries or areas were taken over ravage and pillage for resources for the all mighty dollar . In which tens of millions of people died because of it. For example you have King Leopold's Congo that was responsible for the deaths of around 10 million people give or take. And when things were all said and done many these European power just skedaddle and did nothing and in many cases many cases made things way worse. Many of the European countries got Rich as fuck off of it at the cost of millions of people. Today we still feel the harmful and dangerous effects of colonialism. what do you guys think about reparations or a repayment of some sort for colonialism? Should it happen, should it not happen, should other stuff happened instead. Please discuss. Also this is not just a European issue, America is self and other countries have had similar things that are not as long as the Europeans. So you guys are happy to respond as well.

Let me tell you a little not so much secret, 90 percent of the civil wars are because of European draw a line on a page boundaries.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
The UK government was forced by the courts to apologise and pay money for atrocities in Kenya. I think legal action is the only likely way you'll see a UK Gov paying out money.

www.theguardian.com

Uncovering the brutal truth about the British empire | Marc Parry

The Long Read: The Harvard historian Caroline Elkins stirred controversy with her work on the crushing of the Mau Mau uprising. But it laid the ground for a legal case that has transformed our view of Britain’s past

This is a clearer case since some victims are alive, but it does demonstrate a process.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yes, in some form. If one is allegedly too complicated then another.

I'd be interested to hear what people think about the UK's practice of giving back a % of GNI each year:
For every hundred pounds that's made in the UK, seventy pence goes towards foreign aid.

Another way to say this is that the government has a target to spend 0.7% of the UK's Gross National Income on overseas development aid each year. Gross National Income (GNI) is the UK's annual output of goods and services, plus any income we get from abroad.

In 2016, the UK spent £13.4 billion on overseas aid, in line with the 0.7% target.

Both the practice and the amount. If it's not directly addressing the issue then specifically the practice and whether it would provide a means to move forward?

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
(I'd go and say a great way to help people living in poor countries and not their corrupt governments would be to make immigration easier, so they can learn or get jobs in rich countries and send money or go back to their families when they need)

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I live in a former colony that was integrated into the metropole due to having a land border, I think Russia kind of paid its reparations in the form of free education and free medical care, obviously it won't resurrect millions killed and forced to leave their land for Turkey or Europe and it took a regime change for that to happen, but at least it's something. Russia was also pretty good at assimilation, so, you won't hear many complaints from the native Siberians either, nowadays most of them consider themselves ethnically Russian, just look at the current mayor of Moscow.

Overall, it's a hard topic, from the historical perspective a good chunk of Eastern European states and China have a strong case of asking reparations from Mongolia. China and Korea from Japan. Vietnam from France and China. Spain from the Arab world etc. I guess I'm leaning to a yes camp, but on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
No, the concept of "responsibility" gets very fuzzy when it comes to this issue.
You don't go to jail if your son/daughter kills another person neither do you have to pay your children's debt in case they die before you.
So, I absolutely don't see how I as an average person and taxpayer have benefitted from colonialization from 200+ years ago.
Where do you draw the line? Would it be ok to demand reparations from Mongolia?
Ask the royalties for reparations not the average Joes.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Countries like England, France and Spain definitely should. You Americans need to understand though that 'European' includes a lot of countries. Many of them had little to no involvement in colonialism. Some of them didn't even exist at the time. Demanding that e.g. Latvia should pay reparations because Belgium committed genocide in Congo is not right either.

Countries that heavily abused colonies and enriched themselves through the suffering of others should help their former victims in some way.

How much should Scotland be implicated for its role in the British Empire? It was a big part of Scottish identity, it was a period when they were most prosperous and a key force driving the union with England.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sins of the fathers, etc, etc.
Strongly against reparations for crimes committed by dead people against dead people.
It turns into a selective enforcement situation, which means whoever has more political capital gets benefits, and everyone else fucks off.
The "original sin" often created long term effects where one country remains in squalor to this day and the offending country enjoys status of a "first world" or developed nation. It didn't just effect people who are now dead.
No, the concept of "responsibility" gets very fuzzy when it comes to this issue.
You don't go to jail if your son/daughter kills another person neither do you have to pay your children's debt in case they die before you.
So, I absolutely don't see how I as an average person and taxpayer have benefitted from colonialization from 200+ years ago.
Where do you draw the line? Would it be ok to demand reparations from Mongolia?
Ask the royalties for reparations not the average Joes.
IDK about jail, but I have seen people sue the estates of deceased people that are entrusted to descendants. Also, if the money is in royal families and aristocracy, it would be incumbent on "average Joes" of the same nation to do something about that.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Does that corruption have an origin though? I'm thinking of Nigeria (since that's where my family is from) and the state in which the British left it that made it prime for corruption. I do get that colonizing nations will never want to give reparations and so the current generation should be focused on the future and what they can do themselves though. I just think it's not wise to ignore or forget the past, especially when it's so closely tied to the present.

It's easy to blame France for what happened in Algeria for the past decades, but from what I saw and my own point of view, it's just algerian old guard being lazy, selfish, corrupt to the core (even common citizen) and not that great of a generation. It would be very dishonest for us, to blame the current state of Algeria on France colonization.

Just to speak about one thing : In the city I came from (one of Algeria biggest city), we don't even have tap water during the days. It's the case for as far as my parents can remember. Everyone find that normal, nobody question it, it's just how it is. How can you blame that level of development and dumbness on colonization that happened 50 years ago ? That's just one of many things.

Oct 27, 2017
The "original sin" often created long term effects where one country remains in squalor to this day and the offending country enjoys status of a "first world" or developed nation. It didn't just effect people who are now dead.

IDK about jail, but I have seen people sue the estates of deceased people that are entrusted to descendants. Also, if the money is in royal families and aristocracy, it would be incumbent on "average Joes" of the same nation to do something about that.
That long-term effect as an argument could then be used by any country. Historically speaking, every country got invaded by another tribe/country and could claim that this kept them down.

I just wanted to highlight that the correlation between "guilt" and "atonement" is not as easy as it sounds on paper when it comes to history.
Just imagine an immigrant living in Spain paying tax which then covers reparations for things done to his country a few hudred years ago.
It doesn't make sense. Nations are not living entities they are abstract concepts.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
How much should Scotland be implicated for its role in the British Empire? It was a big part of Scottish identity, it was a period when they were most prosperous and a key force driving the union with England.
Uh... Scotland was absolutely a fundamental part of the British Empire. It shouldn't even be brought up in discussion as distinct from it.