Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I have to admit that I fail to understand why digital pre-orders are a thing. There is no issue of limited stock when dealing with digitally sold games. There is also no issue of having the game delivered in a timely manner because you can download it directly. Why would there be a need for pre-orders? (Genuine question).

The only reason I could think of is that some games have exclusive content locked behind a pre-order, which is a scummy practice and shouldn't be supported.

Digital pre-orders pose very little benefit to consumers. You're 100% correct in this. From the perspective of game publishers and retailers/storefronts, pre-orders are an invaluable tool for being able to gauge pent up sales demand for an upcoming title; as publishers regularly include pre-order rate info. in their announcements to the media and their shareholders. So from that side I can see why they'd want to offer pre-orders on digital content, I just can't see why any consumer would want to pre-order digitally, short of the ability to pre-load the game data to their HDD ready to play immediately on launch.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Digital pre-orders pose very little benefit to consumers. You're 100% correct in this. From the perspective of game publishers and retailers/storefronts, pre-orders are an invaluable tool for being able to gauge pent up sales demand for an upcoming title; as publishers regularly include pre-order rate info. in their announcements to the media and their shareholders. So from that side I can see why they'd want to offer pre-orders on digital content, I just can't see why any consumer would want to pre-order digitally, short of the ability to pre-load the game data to their HDD ready to play immediately on launch.

Ah, I haven't considered this. Do you think this is a huge driver for pre-orders?

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Every company should allow you to cancel a digital pre-order. This should be a given, and it's ridiculous that Nintendo has not applied it yet.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Practices like this are the main reason why I rather buy physical rather than digital.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
I remember buying VOEZ on the Switch to see if I liked the game, I ended up liking it a lot, but I thought, hey, what if i didn't and wanted a refund, surely the eshop whould have a refund option like steam. I ended up looking and found a Q&A page from nintendo.com that basically said: "We can't allow refunds, we encourage costumers to read the descriptions of the titles and images before buying"

Well that was a bummer.

War3333

Oct 27, 2017
I still think that removing all responsibility from the consumer is bad. But to cancel preorders should be allowed and Nintendo should not enforce this.

Alex

Oct 27, 2017
I still think that removing all responsibility from the consumer is bad. But to cancel preorders should be allowed and Nintendo should not enforce this.

Eh, we're talking about software that you pay the same price for, but can never lend out, can never trade it, sell off, etc.

Nintendo also just dropped their Wii download service, did they not? So more than likely we're talking noticeably finite lifespans to download.

I really think the Steam policy is where we should be on the whole, right now. Automated, easy to use, lets you boot up the game for a small period of time to check for glaring issues. I feel like that is very fair.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you guys go on Nintendo Switch subreddit, you'd be surprised how many are bashing the regulators because they interpret this as a slight against Nintendo. They don't even realize that if you can make pre-orders in a store and have the ability to cancel, that the same should apply on a digital storefront.

I'm not surprised by that reaction. This is a very bad practice and I'm glad Norway and other European countries are not taking their nonsense. They should stop them from selling there all together until they abide by the laws.

Last edited:

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Brilliant, hopefully they'll fine them if Nintendo don't comply.

I'd love to see them force all three console store fronts to at least match Steam for refunds though ideally.

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking roast these companies over the coals EU. It is simply incomprehensible how shit like this is still allowed or tolerated.
Next step, make a reasonable refund policy for digital goods law. One that takes into account the type of digital good and is able to differentiate between
different goods. Nintendo and Sony need to be put under legal pressure before they'll follow Steam and Origins example.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you guys go on Nintendo Switch subreddit, you'd be surprised how many are bashing the regulators because they interpret this as a slight against Nintendo. They don't even realize that if you can make pre-orders in a store and have the ability to cancel, that the same should apply on a digital storefront.
Nintendo can do no wrong.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can. Atleast in germany.
I've been told you can even on the US store, but you need to go through the process of filling in an online form and sending it off to customer support first. The process is also different if you are cancelling before or after 14 days before launch.

Whereas on Steam it's an inbuilt feature and done with a couple of button presses. As it should be.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's rare but they can include a great bonus, like having immediate access to a remaster of the first South Park game not being offered separately.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo allows 1 digital refund per account, so you have to use that one refund wisely and must call them by phone. You can't get more than one refund.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised that most people in that sub seem to be supporting this. Seems like just the usual tiny minority of crazy people.

There is a lot of "Nintendo probably just didn't know", though.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While you're at it I highly doubt their "check here to sign away your rights to return the game"-button is legal either.
I'm not sure if this is on all eshops but on the European one you have to confirm that you will forgo your right to return the game within 2 weeks, otherwise they won't let you buy it.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While you're at it I highly doubt their "check here to sign away your rights to return the game"-button is legal either.
I'm not sure if this is on all eshops but on the European one you have to confirm that you will forgo your right to return the game within 2 weeks, otherwise they won't let you buy it.
The EU specifically say that terms of service agreements which remove consumer rights are not legally binding.

However, digital refunds/returns are not covered fully by the same returns policy that would normally cover physical goods, so it's a little more complicated.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, that is legal (so far at least). It is currently used in Europe for digital goods. The part about them fulfilling their part of the contract, thus you forfeiting your right to a refund is legal because there is no updated legislation to comprehensively deal with the sale of digital goods yet.
The only way to get a refund is if the game was broken (and even then that is debatable)
I expect there to be legal changes in the coming years that finally put digital goods on the same customer protection level as physical goods.
With the obvious caveat of goods like consumables, subscriptions, stuff like Music or small value items (transactions that would have a higher transaction fee than the nominal price etc)

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo allows 1 digital refund per account, so you have to use that one refund wisely and must call them by phone. You can't get more than one refund.

lol. What a shambles. I think Sony is just as bad.

No wonder I prefer physical, not only is pricing better, but I can cancel whatever pre-orders or even orders (if done quick enough) I want. Then even if something gets delivered, I can return it unopened for a full refund.

Digital always seems more about trying to remove consumer rights and have a monopoly on pricing (on consoles). Fuck that.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah all these platforms needs to FOLLOW THE LAW right about fucking now, maybe? How the hell do these think that they're above obeying the laws in place? NOW, please.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
You also can't cancel pre-orders on PSN, so...?
Yes you can. In Europe at least you can. And this issue is about Nintendo going against European laws.

I pre ordered Monster Hunter World for PS4. And in the mail sony sent me there was instructions to what should i do in case i wish to cancel the pre order. Sony refund policy still has a long way to go to be more consumer friendly but in Europe they let you cancel ur pre-order.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Console storefronts will slowly get there, hopefully. Refunding digital pre-orders shouldn't be harder than clicking a few buttons and confirming the refund. Of course, I expect Nintendo to get there 3 or 4 years after the rest at minimum.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Many people preorder before knowing if a preload will even be available, so I doubt it. Definitely it helps though.

That said, most games get preloads now. So maybe it does.
Are you talking in general, or on Switch? I'm fairly sure all Switch eShop preorders come with a preload.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony's shitty policies in the US are what finally got me to stop pre-ordering digitally. The benefit of being able to play at midnight of release day isn't as important as not buying junk like LBP3 or Driveclub before reading reviews or waiting to see if there are performance issues. So I guess I'd like to thank Sony for curing me of my own stupidity.

Nov 8, 2017
Recently had a huge issue with Sony issuing me no refunds for a DLC that made my game unplayable leaving me with uninstalling the game. Customer support told me they literally have no option on a support level to remove licenses from accounts, sooooo....
Customer support lied to you.

I once bought a game on PSN and spent ten minutes playing it only to find that it was missing a feature that I expected. I sent an email to Sony's customer support (UK) to request a refund on the basis of the expected missing feature.

They sent a reply and granted the refund immediately without question. After the refund, my licence on the game had been modified to expire at the date and time of the refund (thus could no longer be started), and the cost of the game had been refunded to my PSN Wallet.

I ended up buying the game again later once the missing feature was added in an update.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised Nintendo would run afoul of the law this way given their previously strict adherence to laws regarding digital goods.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-10-nintendo-explains-crazy-wii-u-eshop-restrictions

Even the Wii shop, as much shit as it got, acted far more like a purchase of a physical good than any of the other digital platforms as a resale of your system would include all the digital goods bought on it.

I'll personally give them a month to react given their previous behavior...I'm guessing they'll just temporarily disable preorders until they have a solution.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I didn't even know this was the case. I never digitally preordered a game before. I mean why would you? Just... you know buy in on the day you want it?

But there should be a system in place for refunds. Digital distribution needs to have exactly the same rights as physical.