• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
for serious

it's no rocket robot on wheels i mean come on

i commend the confusing amount of effort but at the end of the day you're still playing a low-level barely mediocre n64 platformer

Well, they also put a lot of effort into porting barely mediocre PC platformers to the thing so there's a trend. I like that we can't just rule out games that didn't appear on the usual emulated platforms.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I do respect them for bringing deep cuts to the console, because honestly we can get the big hits nearly every other place. I've played so many wacky games on the Evercade that were pretty much unknown to me and I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise. So again, I do respect them for putting in the effort. Even if it is Glover.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like the look of the super pocket Capcom edition.

Do all these Evercade games including the above Piko edition work on it.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Out of the four I purchased at the time, for the life of me I could not get my Codemasters Collection cartridge to work on the Super Pocket and is part of why I bought the EXP eventually, in case other carts had the same problem.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, they also put a lot of effort into porting barely mediocre PC platformers to the thing so there's a trend. I like that we can't just rule out games that didn't appear on the usual emulated platforms.
Yeah same, it's certainly interesting. Sometimes I wish they'd point their prowess in another direction but at the same time bringing more games to more places is good. I have every cart released so clearly I'm part of the problem!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I have most but not all carts. Honestly, I love the Piko, Jaleco and Gaeleco stuff because when else are we gonna see those ports. Also, I love the presentation in the manuals, the little boxes etc. Its clearly done for more collector audiences and they look nice on my shelves.

Plus... Ive not played almost all of the releases, and a number are also pretty darn expensive. While obviously Id have loved a physical Capcom collection, I have those 10 times over elsewhere. But some of this Sunsoft stuff? Not touched them so that's great. Oh, and they dont go mad pricing wise - its easy to say "sure Ill try the Oliver Twins collection" when its 17 bucks... and that one was well worth it to relive the Dizzy stuff (not so much for the non Dizzy stuff though but that's what you get.

Cathedral doesnt work on it, no word if a patch/firmware upgrade is forthcoming to fix it. That's the only one Im aware of having problems.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Super Pocket Updater is live. Windows only at the moment.

"After much testing, the Super Pocket Updater is now live on the HyperMegaTech website. If you're a Super Pocket customer, you can download an updater that will bring some updates to the Super Pocket console. This includes corrections on languages, translations and spacing, support for Cathedral from the Alwa's Awakening/Cathedral cartridge, and updated control mapping for Donut Dodo on Indie Heroes 3.

For reference, a Mac updater is on the way but needs further testing, so that will be due in the next week or so."

Will try it when I get home from work.

Edit: if you have any issue, try using the USB-C cable that came with the unit. Solved my issue when with other cables it was not detected or failed.

Last edited:

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know of a good cartridge carry case for someone who has all of the evercade carts?

There's a 12-cart holder on amazon and a 8 or 12 holder on Etsy (that also doesn't suit me), but really just looking for something that has a nice organization for all of them to look at (or flip through) when I just want to browse through when deciding on a game.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of a good cartridge carry case for someone who has all of the evercade carts?

There's a 12-cart holder on amazon and a 8 or 12 holder on Etsy (that also doesn't suit me), but really just looking for something that has a nice organization for all of them to look at (or flip through) when I just want to browse through when deciding on a game.
I'd love an answer too as an "all carts" owner.

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
Procrastination here for the win!

(Now that I said that, there probably will be another update tomorrow so you can add all carts with a single click)

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
That library collection is a good feature.

I went ahead and dropped my carts in and the number immediately gave me FOMO lol.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like there's a new "giga cart" coming up, larger carts to fit bigger games. They'll be $5 more (so $25). First release is a Tomb Raider cart with presumably the PS1 versions of TR 1-3. Cool release, albeit maybe dulled a bit by the recent remasters.

Also a Thalamus cart coming, which I'm not familiar with. Looks like European computer games, likely Amiga or C64.

Thalamus's description on Amazon also mentions the VS-R and EXP-R hardwares, likely revisions of the current systems.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Blog post with that info:
evercade.co.uk

Introducing Giga Cart - Evercade

Here at Evercade, we’ve always had to strike a balance between bringing great games to you on physical cartridges and ensuring they represent great value to you. As we head into the future, and the scope of what our fans want to play becomes more recent, we’ve adapted to provide this the best...

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. I'm not familiar with any of Thalamus' work even though I'm a huge Amiga fan. I think I've heard of Armalyte and that's it.

Not interested in the Tomb Raiders but that's a pretty big deal.

What I'd like the most right now for Evercade (outside of publishers that aren't an option yet like Cave) is an Irem Arcade 2. Just imagine this lineup:

Kung-Fu Master
Image Fight
Dragon Breed
R-Type 2
Hammerin' Harry
Blade Master
Ninja Baseball Bat Man
Superior Soldiers
Gunforce/Gunforce 2
Undercover Cops

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
TR is a great get that's sorta shot in the foot because Im really enjoying the remasters released in Feb... Im up for other GIGA carts though.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I'm not familiar with any of Thalamus' work even though I'm a huge Amiga fan. I think I've heard of Armalyte and that's it.

They mostly made games for the C64. I felt a bit nostalgic and went to youtube to check some of them out. This video runs through their entire output, and other than Retrograde and Winter Camp I think I had all their C64 titles. This is a must buy for me.

View: https://youtu.be/awaApwqld84?si=Fs0AehE_cWGJKhx7

I'm honestly not sure how the games hold up today, especially if you didn't play them back then, but if nothing else they had amazing sid-chip soundtracks.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
TR is a great get that's sorta shot in the foot because Im really enjoying the remasters released in Feb... Im up for other GIGA carts though.
I'm in a similar boat, I haven't purchased the remaster collection yet but I can't see myself ever revisiting the PS1 versions when the remasters completely blow them out of the water.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a similar boat, I haven't purchased the remaster collection yet but I can't see myself ever revisiting the PS1 versions when the remasters completely blow them out of the water.
Yup. Even though the cart price is fair, Im not a gigantic TR fan, I cant justify double dipping, so Ill just stick with the remasters. Still its cool to see these get the usual nice Evercade physical release, Im sure they'll do well.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
New models announced: Everycade VS-R and Evercade EXP-R.

evercade.co.uk

New hardware, new lower price! Introducing Evercade EXP-R and Evercade VS-R - Evercade

We’re delighted to announce a refresh of the Evercade line of retro gaming consoles that not only provides a simpler and more accessible way to get into Evercade and its physical cartridge ecosystem but also brings the price of the products down to under £100/$100. The Evercade -R range will see...

Evercade_VS-R-EXP-R_GroupProductShot.jpg

Also:

Evercade TATE Grip

We are also releasing a new peripheral for the Evercade EXP and Evercade EXP-R. The Evercade TATE Grip will secure your Evercade EXP or Evercade EXP-R in a comfortable controller-like cradle, enabling you to play TATE games for longer with more accurate response and user comfort. This will be available from Evercade retailers for £17.99, $19.99 and €19.99 from July 2024.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Tate Cradle could well be nice, all depends how comfy it is, if it lets me play something like 1942 without my hand falling off, that'll be nice.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
It also says a game cart of bundled games will be included on both systems using the new giga cart. Wonder what that could be.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
VS-R seems pretty much the same, just a refresh with different pack-in games. The EXP-R drops the Capcom games and HDMI-out, but it's cheaper. Might actually consider an EXP-R if the build quality sounds better. I am pretty happy with the Super Pocket though.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
VS-R seems pretty much the same, just a refresh with different pack-in games. The EXP-R drops the Capcom games and HDMI-out, but it's cheaper. Might actually consider an EXP-R if the build quality sounds better. I am pretty happy with the Super Pocket though.
Has it been confirmed that the super pocket will play the giga cart games?

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
These look nice, but there's no real reason yet to buy these if you own the older models already.

Evercade said they would have 2 Giga carts releases in 2024. The Tomb Raider collection was leaked yesterday, but I don't think it'll be the pack-in game.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Been waiting to see what the new hardware was after buying an EXP in January.

Might just go ahead and grab a VS-R now.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
If I'm more interested in the games on the EXP should I just buy that? Is the build quality of the R expected to be better?

We assume the R will have a better build quality because it's a new revised product, but I guess there's no guarantee of that, lol. I think some of the early EXPs had issues but they may have ironed that out over time. I think the power button's light bleeding out was one of the bigger complaints, but even that's mostly cosmetic.

The bundled Capcom games are a pretty big selling point, so if you want those I'd probably go with the original EXP.