• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know, I can't blame Xbox for always having a lot of shooters.

Got-damn. People love their shooters huh?

I mean I know it will be fun but geez - it's like a different league of game sales from what my favorite genres are.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Rider's Republic caught that much interest. Seemed a bit like Steep to me, which wasn't super popular.

The BotW2 trailer got a lot of views on Nintendo's Japanese channel as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol why is riders republic so high. I just watched the video and it looks ok at best, IMO. I must be in the minority here, oh well.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Surprised that FF Chaos is so relatively low despite the memes.

And MHS2 deserves better than Capcom's shambolic marketing. Just dropping a brand new story trailer every few weeks really ain't it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Suprising Monster Hunter Stories 2 is so low at 31k. I thought the first game was popular.
It wasn't big on 3DS more of a insider recommendation.

It also got shown a bunch of times during E3 during SummerGames, Capcom and Nintendos showcases. So data from a single trailer/video might not tell the whole story.

Over a million people watched the Nintendo Direct live on YT....so the number checking for the same trailers already showcased on there is probably gonna be lower.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Surprised Rider's Republic caught that much interest. Seemed a bit like Steep to me, which wasn't super popular.

The BotW2 trailer got a lot of views on Nintendo's Japanese channel as well.
Lol why is riders republic so high. I just watched the video and it looks ok at best, IMO. I must be in the minority here, oh well.
If you compare the likes for Riders (1.9k) to Battlefield (475k) or BotW2 (225k) then you can see why, it's probably shown as ads lol.
Probably similar case with Starfield with 20k likes.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
i had looked a few days ago and Forza was well ahead of starfield. Then I noticed YouTube kept playing the starfield trailer as an ad to me.

now starfield is a head of forza.Maybe I missed something but I think starfield's numbers may be a bit artificial.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, the Nintendo Direct YouTube stream is at 5.8 million views.
youtu.be

Nintendo Direct | E3 2021

Tune in at 9 a.m. PT for a Nintendo Direct presentation, featuring roughly 40 minutes of information focused exclusively on Nintendo Switch games mainly rele...

Live users watching was also amazing to see, 1 million people at one point.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
You know, I can't blame Xbox for always having a lot of shooters.

Got-damn. People love their shooters huh?

I mean I know it will be fun but geez - it's like a different league of game sales from what my favorite genres are.

pre-Bethesda acquisition Xbox first party "shooters" consisted of halo and gears. 1 FPS and 2 TPS in 7 years. But yeah they have "lots"

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
Some of theee trailers were posted on multiple channels and need the counts combined. E.g. Halo Infinite on the Xbox channel, Halo channel, and other channels like IGN.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I appreciate the work that went into this list.. ALSO that you put the links in.. Great job.. Also.. BF2042 is #1 and I'm all about it.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Is there a verified connection between YouTube views and success/popularity? I'm just curious since people here bring it up a lot. I see some oddities here like how Far Cry 6 is sub 500K yet will likely outsell most of the list.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Stalker being so high is surprising. I hope it ends up cool, because Shadow of Chernobyl was great.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 3m

Elden Ring - 2.4m
lol i remember when someone here told me that Elden Ring would eclipse Zelda but now it has surpassed it in views despite still being a teaser trailer, in less than 24 hours and with ER having a 5-day advantage, it even has almost double the amount of likes

Last edited:
OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a verified connection between YouTube views and success/popularity? I'm just curious since people here bring it up a lot. I see some oddities here like how Far Cry 6 is sub 500K yet will likely outsell most of the list.

You can bet that Battlefield will be one of the top-selling games of the year, perhaps #2 behind CoD.

Doub

Nov 11, 2020
I'm surprised BOTW isn't higher than 3M
Elden Ring is more "niche" compared to botw so not surprising. Still best thing to come out of E3, can't wait for January !

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

If you want a scientifically proven analysis, then no.

But I've done enough analysis on YouTube metrics ( for my graduate thesis ) to say that high visibility and high engagement has a roll-over effect. Also, no game are the same in terms of how they're generating interest and awareness across YouTube.

For example - some trailers/games have an extremely heavy weight relative to the 'main YouTube video' - in other words, 95% of all views watch it from that source. There are however, games where they're very influencer driven, hundreds and thousands of views are spread out across two dozen influencers, accumulating to a high interest spread out.

I'm surprised BOTW isn't higher than 3M
Elden Ring is more "niche" compared to botw so not surprising. Still best thing to come out of E3, can't wait for January !

Zelda trailers generally have good legs.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't very useful because you're comparing trailers that released less than a day ago to ones that released last week. Plus many of these games have several trailers for different languages, whereas stuff like Battlefield only has one.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You absolutely love to see that Battlefield hype and it taking the top spot. 2042 is looking incredible with significant advances to the franchise, DICE deserve the limelight.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I see everyone has had their fill of seemingly monthly monster hunter stories 2 trailers.

And I didn't even see how it actually played until treehouse!

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised Avengers and Guardians are as high as they are. Seems like they're falling flat no matter what S-E tries to do.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Far Cry 6 had its reveal trailer almost year ago at 12 million views, and the gameplay reveal two weeks ago at one million views with 482k for the livestream. In fact the IGN upload of the gameplay reveal is at 2.4 million, so a lot of the initial views for the game came before the press conference.

BF 2042 also had its reveal before the main E3 shows and will clear 15 million in a day or two.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, people are still super excited for anything BotW 2 if it can get 3M views in 21 hours.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Riders Republic has barely any likes / Dislikes compared to their number of views.
Has it been on heavy ad rotation perhaps?

Otherwise it's the expected games in the top, outside of Halo I guess.. I thought it would be higher to be honest.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I wonder how many of those Zelda views come from YouTubers combing through the footage for secrets and hidden details they can spend the next six months theorising about XD

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Top 5 checks out based off the chatter I've seen across my friend groups. 2042 hype is real.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm surprised Outer Worlds 2 is so high given the nature of what that trailer actually "shows", but clearly that first game did hit a lot of people the right way.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you combine the views for example BOTW 2 on all Nintendos channels, you would cross the 4 million mark now

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Far Cry 6 had its reveal trailer almost year ago at 12 million views, and the gameplay reveal two weeks ago at one million views with 482k for the livestream. In fact the IGN upload of the gameplay reveal is at 2.4 million, so a lot of the initial views for the game came before the press conference.

BF 2042 also had its reveal before the main E3 shows and will clear 15 million in a day or two.

Another thing to add to this is that for a vast majority of games - views peak at the first trailer and decline subsequently. Gameplay reveal trailer and major story trailers can reverse the trend, but generally 2nd/3rd/4th trailers are always on a downward trend.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I never understood the appeal of battlefield. It always felt clunky to me, but that was bad in the BF2 days. I should probably give it another run through on the Series S

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
These are never accurate due to publishers pushing them as ads, which inflates views, not to mention some games have their own channels that also uploaded the same trailer, some infact with more views