• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think will be the Sunday line-up (in no specific order)?

• Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, Smash Ultimate, & Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Votes: 151 60.9%
  • Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, Smash Ultimate, & Granblue Versus

Votes: 86 34.7%
  • A Different Set of Games (Please Specify)

Votes: 11 4.4%

• Total voters

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What's the basis for this kind of thinking? MvC2 on PS3/360 is largely a fine port, and it has functional rollback netcode. To this day I occasionally play the PS3 version and there are still players online even though it's delisted. I have no reason to dig out my Dreamcast to play it, this version is totally fine for 99% of players. It's gorgeous and still pretty great online with PS3.

A new remaster could be even better. I'll take the risk of them "butchering it" vs nothing at all, it's not like my previous versions suddenly cease to exist if they try again. This game deserves to be available to buy again, and painlessly playable on modern systems.
Maybe its something related to the bare bones options on the SF anniversary collection, or the netcode on recent non Infinite fighters. Otherwise I'm drawing a blank, I mean SSF2T had the USA AI for single player outside of the Japanese release of AE, but that's not so much butchering a port but rather going with the tougher/worse option for anyone wanting to play Super Turbo in SP mode. Otherwise from what I recall Capcom's ports have been pretty great lately, and I personally have been hoping for a port of MvC2 for a little while now, I'd love it to get even just a limited physical release for my Capcom collection.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
What the fuck is the beef Mr Wizard has with the NRS Community? Mortal Kombat has never been better and this mofo dropped it like its nothing. He always treated NRS games like garbage but dropping the second biggest fighting game on the planet on the second year is just pathetic.
This is standard for NRS. They get one year in the spotlight and that's it. Doesn't mean there arent other tournaments out there that feature NRS games, plus they have their own competitive circuits. The games sell better than every game in that lineup anyway (aside from Smash of course) so it's all good tbh

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This is standard for NRS. They get one year in the spotlight and that's it. Doesn't mean there arent other tournaments out there that feature NRS games, plus they have their own competitive circuits. The games sell better than every game in that lineup anyway (aside from Smash of course) so it's all good tbh
Every NRS game up until MK11 got a 2 year lifespan at Evo.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe its something related to the bare bones options on the SF anniversary collection, or the netcode on recent non Infinite fighters. Otherwise I'm drawing a blank, I mean SSF2T had the USA AI for single player outside of the Japanese release of AE, but that's not so much butchering a port but rather going with the tougher/worse option for anyone wanting to play Super Turbo in SP mode. Otherwise from what I recall Capcom's ports have been pretty great lately, and I personally have been hoping for a port of MvC2 for a little while now, I'd love it to get even just a limited physical release for my Capcom collection.

As long as they stick with MvCI's netcode moving forward, there shouldn't be an issue in that regard. SF30th is very enjoyable from my experience, just wish Alpha 2 was online lol

Oct 25, 2017
What's the basis for this kind of thinking? MvC2 on PS3/360 is largely a fine port

The 360/PS3 version is ok for casual/enthusiast play, but it errs far enough from the DC version that it couldn't stand up for competitive play.

More details here:

I didn't play that version much at the time, but seeing that the default sprite filter introduces lag is a bit of a head fuck for a fighting game. It's interesting to note the advice around setting the lag window to the lowest amount, which in hindsight might have exacerbated issues at the time.

On the wider question of what would be wrong with a modern day port, my issue largely boils down to the people that they contract the work to. When Capcom were working with Iron Galaxy they got a set of really good re-releases of their CPS2-CPS3 era fighting games, since then they've either done stuff internally (I'm assuming USF2 was an internal team working from the HD Remix codebase) or through Digital Eclipse.

The Street Fighter Anniversary Collection was honestly really disappointing, outside of the decision to only provide online play with certain games the online experience for the hand picked games was really poor, far worse than what they've provided in the past for games that have a similar approach. I'm saying this as someone who was very enthusiastic about 30AC being released and really believed that it was going to be the definitive option for online play.

I think part of the problem is that they contract the work for these re-releases out to teams who seem to only be involved for a small amount of time beyond the initial release, so when the competitive community encounters issues there is a fairly good chance that they won't get resolved because the teams that were involved are already months into another job.

Another big factor is that there doesn't seem to be a surplus of commercial releases of Dreamcast games on current platforms. Whilst emulators that are available on PC are generally very good, they aren't at the level that would be needed for a commercial release, whereas the CPS arcade platforms are extensively documented and can be emulated on a wide range of devices.

So coming back to my point, I don't think Capcom are up to the job, and they won't pay the right people enough money to do it either.

MachGao

Oct 28, 2017

Still getting shit on by other FGCs in FGs thread who even show here they are delighted it's gone

Not liking the game/series is fine but showing obvious enjoyment its gone is just a dickhead move

Imagine they dropped SFV year 2 of its release and I wrote a post saying "yes Capcom games suck! Good riddance!"

I would be absolutely obliterated on here

Also I'm not surprised it got dropped, we always had issues in the passed with Evo

I'm in a way lowkey happy as they can give the money to another event

No you wouldn't. You'd have a better chance at being obliterated for saying that you're glad the game is there.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It's not standard tho...

I gotta believe there's a behind the scenes reason for no MK 11

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
It's not standard tho...

I gotta believe there's a behind the scenes reason for no MK 11
The two reasons I heard people claim for this is so far is that the game has too much gore properly run ads on and that the game is simply a snooze fest to actually watch thanks to all of the mechanic change MK11 did.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is surreal to see games like UNICL-R and SAMSHO over MK11, when it was released it felt like the game was critically acclaimed by the mostly Capcom based FGC, but in the end it felt like the game wasn't a very exciting game to watch, I personally loved the game but couldn't stand watching tournaments

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have the viewership metrics for each of the games from last year? Be curious to see that breakdown.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Next year is the 10 year anniversary of MVC3 and they can easily do a tournament of champions for that one.

Featuring all the EVO winners:

Viscant
FChamp
Flocker
Justin Wong
ChrisG
KaneBlueRiver
RyanLV

And then a LCQ at EVO for the 8th spot.

Would be pretty hype and would have a fairly diverse top 8 even though ChrisG will beat everyone again LOL!

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Nice lineup! I'm happy to see SC6 back - expected, but still nice to see it confirmed.

I'm so excited about Marvel! I grew up following the east coast Marvel scene, so the chance to see Justin, Sanford and Yipes go again is amazing. I hope we get a Triforce power glove cameo!

I really hope Marvel is on Sunday. It needs to be on the big stage, with the roar of the Mandalay Bay crowd. Would be so epic!

Last edited:

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So coming back to my point, I don't think Capcom are up to the job, and they won't pay the right people enough money to do it either.

I understand where you're coming from, but that's no reason to just not even try. Not everyone wants to go through the hassle of tracking down a Dreamcast, a used copy of MvC2 and the means to make it work on their modern televisions.

The PS3/360 version is perfectly fine for casual/enthusiast play, and really that's what matters. I'm not Justin Wong, the vast majority of players aren't anywhere near that level, and these bugs primarily affect that level of play. The experience is practically seamless to a player like me, and I could play it online with rollback netcode. It was, frankly, an amazing port at the time and I still love it. I'd be fine if they relisted this port and made it BC on PS5/XSX.

If the PS3/360 version could deliver a decent enough experience, it's hard to imagine that modern machines could fail to at least meet that expectation. Sure, it's entirely possible to screw this up in the wrong hands, but I'd wager a modern day port from Capcom being more playable than not. SF30th for its shortcomings is still a really great package, and did receive patches to fix some issues. The emulation is sound and honestly the online component worked very well for me on PS4, it's bare minimum but I had no major complaints.

With that said, even if this hypothetical port turned out arcade perfect.. the professional player would still play on Dreamcast anyway, they don't care. This is for us, and we should to be able to buy and experience it again on modern platforms. It's worth the risk.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
No It didn't, It was streamed in two channels, Evo2 and Netherrealms, the latter was where the big number was.

Anyway, suprised by no MK. No evo for me this year i guess.

Oh they ran their own stream and are surprised Wizard tossed them aside? Also how big was it? I'm curious.

If they did good numbers on their own I doubt they even need EVO, just like Melee.

Games like SCVI deserve that spotlight just as much if not more.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I understand where you're coming from, but that's no reason to just not even try. Not everyone wants to go through the hassle of tracking down a Dreamcast, a used copy of MvC2 and the means to make it work on their modern televisions.
you don't even need a used copy of the game with how hilariously easy it was to pirate DC games. i can't remember the last time a legal copy was used at evo lol

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
you don't even need a used copy of the game with how hilariously easy it was to pirate DC games. i can't remember the last time a legal copy was used at evo lol

Did you just admit to a crime?!

for reals though I don't even have a CD burner in my desktop pc anymore, kids today don't even do desktops! Pirating is probably more annoying than buying used at this point lol

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Oh they ran their own stream and are surprised Wizard tossed them aside? Also how big was it? I'm curious.

If they did good numbers on their own I doubt they even need EVO, just like Melee.

Games like SCVI deserve that spotlight just as much if not more.
Someone in this thread posted the total numbers for each game, from the saturday games MK was the highest. It's in one of the previous pages.

Oct 25, 2017

The PS3/360 version is perfectly fine for casual/enthusiast play, and really that's what matters.

Sorry for cutting your message down, but I think this is the main area where I disagree with you, and again I understand where you're coming from as it does seem a question of priorities and what can be achieved given a set budget.

My problem with releasing a version that comes with as many shortcomings as the 360/PS3 version had is that it sets an expectation that re-releases of fighting games; or fighting games in general, can or should be released with outstanding issues with little expectation of having those fixed after the fact. I think that's something that is pretty common already.

I think the goal should be to provide each of these points.
  1. A version of the game that is equal to what came before, including any bugs or edge cases that were a factor in competitive play.
  2. Sufficiently good online play, specifically meaning responsive and reliable matchmaking alongside high quality rollback netcode that has been tested in a range of locations across the world, using commonplace, average quality network connections.
  3. The resources to provide sufficient post launch support to fix issues and provide quality of life improvements for up to a year.
The problem is that all of this costs money, and for fighting games that were only designed to run on certain platforms from decades ago what I'm asking for is pushing what can be done on a low budget. So I'd rather they didn't bother, focus on what they can do with other games and just leave the games that are too demanding in time or money right now.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

Evo twitter acting as advertisement for a third party feels sleazy to me, especialçly the PRE ORDER NOW part :/

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
For a noob that isn't part of the FGC, has MvC2 been part of EVO in the last years?

Also, kinda weird to not see BlazBlue or Guilty Gear there.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for cutting your message down, but I think this is the main area where I disagree with you, and again I understand where you're coming from as it does seem a question of priorities and what can be achieved given a set budget.

My problem with releasing a version that comes with as many shortcomings as the 360/PS3 version had is that it sets an expectation that re-releases of fighting games; or fighting games in general, can or should be released with outstanding issues with little expectation of having those fixed after the fact. I think that's something that is pretty common already.

I think the goal should be to provide each of these points.
  1. A version of the game that is equal to what came before, including any bugs or edge cases that were a factor in competitive play.
  2. Sufficiently good online play, specifically meaning responsive and reliable matchmaking alongside high quality rollback netcode that has been tested in a range of locations across the world, using commonplace, average quality network connections.
  3. The resources to provide sufficient post launch support to fix issues and provide quality of life improvements for up to a year.
The problem is that all of this costs money, and for fighting games that were only designed to run on certain platforms from decades ago what I'm asking for is pushing what can be done on a low budget. So I'd rather they didn't bother, focus on what they can do with other games and just leave the games that are too demanding in time or money right now.

Those goals are very reasonable and should be the norm, I suppose it all comes down to faith of whether Capcom would do it justice. A few years ago I might be skeptical too, but redemption arc Capcom is on a roll and I think we're starting to see it reach their FG division.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
For a noob that isn't part of the FGC, has MvC2 been part of EVO in the last years?

Not recently, but it's a big part of its history. It was there back when it was B4 and B5, and then every year from 2002-2010. For most of that stretch, it was one of the biggest, if not the biggest game, in terms of entrants and hype.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next year is the 10 year anniversary of MVC3 and they can easily do a tournament of champions for that one.

Viscant
FChamp
Flocker
Justin Wong
ChrisG
KaneBlueRiver
RyanLV

Would be pretty hype and would have a fairly diverse top 8 even though ChrisG will beat everyone again LOL!

Lol @ Viscant in that list though

Vanilla Phoenix and Haggar assisting his way to victory

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What system is MvC2 run on DC? Can't find out what system the games are run on. but most games it's usually PS4, unless Xbox exclusive (KI)

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018

D0YnUqcVsAIECVw

glad i got to bring back a modern classic

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of surprised MK11 got snubbed, but I honestly don't care. That game has been nothing but a disappointment, I think I may even hate it.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

Viscant
FChamp
Flocker
Justin Wong
ChrisG
KaneBlueRiver
RyanLV

That would be hype. MvC3 was so fun to watch in those years.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Next year is the 10 year anniversary of MvC3 and they can easily do a tournament of champions for that one.

Viscant
FChamp
Flocker
Justin Wong
ChrisG
KaneBlueRiver
RyanLV

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see that. And since UMvC3 is available on current-gen systems, it'd be easier to run.

Oct 26, 2017
I regret not picking up MvC2 for PS3 while I had the chance. I got to play it in an arcade recently and it's still good fun. I do have the DC version still, but it's such a hassle to get everything running and the console won't last forever.

SmileBrandon

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
haha.

For me we already got Ultimate at Evo. Melee would be too redundant.
It's not redundant, the games are significantly different in how they play with some overlap in core mechanics, that being the only redundant thing. Melee and Ultimate cater to different playstyles, and Melee always gets the viewers. Does anyone know if a Capcom game got more viewers than Melee, though? I'm pretty sure, but am curious by how much.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It does suck seeing MK11 bow out but not sure who I would replace them with. FighterZ seems like the only possibility there tbh

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Is surreal to see games like UNICL-R and SAMSHO over MK11, when it was released it felt like the game was critically acclaimed by the mostly Capcom based FGC, but in the end it felt like the game wasn't a very exciting game to watch, I personally loved the game but couldn't stand watching tournaments

Yeah,

I really enjoy all of NRS output and they make some of the best fighting games, but actually watching them (espcially with the many cheap tactics people can employ) is just incredibly boring

Still I hardly think it matters to NRS as there easily the best selling out of all of them