• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Eh, it's by far the most popular fighting game with the most entrants, correct? One way to look at it is that they simply don't need to offer cash prizes to attract a competitive scene.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why is everyone giving Smash shit for this?

Yeah it sucks, but it's not like the prizes for the other games aren't dogshit as well. Every single prize listed is unacceptable.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2k2c3y.jpg

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's mindblowing that Nintendo hasn't done anything with Melee. Even a simple re-release, or a port with microtransaction cosmetics or something. It stills pulls more viewers than Ultimate, even after all this time. Seems like it could be a perpetual money maker for them like CS:GO is for Valve.
I would imagine that has more to do with them wanting people to play the newest game and for as popular as Melee is the appeal of that would be kinda limited since most people would just see it as a game with less characters and stages than Ultimate. The only reason to really port it would be so that Melee tournaments could ditch the old setups assuming the community liked the port.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine that has more to do with them wanting people to play the newest game and for as popular as Melee is the appeal of that would be kinda limited since most people would just see it as a game with less characters and stages than Ultimate. The only reason to really port it would be so that Melee tournaments could ditch the old setups assuming the community liked the port.

People see the appeal in older entries for game series all the time and companies generally provide ways of playing them.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's mindblowing that Nintendo hasn't done anything with Melee. Even a simple re-release, or a port with microtransaction cosmetics or something. It stills pulls more viewers than Ultimate, even after all this time. Seems like it could be a perpetual money maker for them like CS:GO is for Valve.
It probably had a chance of happening if Ultimate failed but since ultimate basically is a run away success and was made with competitive play in mind it's never happening at this point.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Wait, why is everyone giving Smash shit for this?

Yeah it sucks, but it's not like the prizes for the other games aren't dogshit as well. Every single prize listed is unacceptable.

Unless you think that pro controller is worth $9000, it's kind of a drastic difference between Smash and the other games.

Even in the realm of dogshit

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
People see the appeal in older entries for game series all the time and companies generally provide ways of playing them.
I understand why people like that kind of thing, but I don't see Nintendo bothering unless we get a Gamecube mini or something because they would probably pick something something else to port over Melee.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Nonetheless, that's hilariously bad. Nintendo really doesn't care about e-sports outside of a game's release window
Nintendo doesn't care about esports, period. Around launch they put on a bunch of garbage "pro" tourneys for their games where people are still coming to grips with it and have barely played, then nothing. They had a Splatoon 2 tournament where the prize was a poster.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
It's for smash as a whole. I know hangrybox only plays melee.
Dude actually does play Ultimate and is trying to get better he just doesn't do nearly as good as he does in melee. Think he has entered in most of the big Smash Ultimate tournaments all last year and steadily getting further each time(but nowhere near his Melee placings).

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care about the low prize pools because Japan has very onerous laws that limit it but they could be more creative with the prizes than a bloody controller.

If Nintendo offered a trophy in the shape of your favorite Smash character that would be neat. If they gave the winner access to playtest future dlc that would be awesome.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
On the one hand lol at Nintendo offering a controller as the grand prize. On the other hand uhh am I crazy or is that a small ass lot for the other games?

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
On the viewers side Higher peak viewers maybe but on average ultimate has surpassed melee on the viewer side most tournaments not to mention that ultimate only streamer like Nairo have more viewers that all the gods combined yes including mang0.

On the esports side nintendo doesnt gain much on a melee HD port because melee players have very high standards and a port wouldnt add much aside from accessibility.

Right now what melee players want is money to survive specifically big pot bonus, the thing is that the smash community isnt a singular being and nintendo would need to pay attention to 2 different communities not other fighting game developer has this problem they all have one main game or 2 different series you dont see Namco giving pot bonus to Tekken 3 and Tekken 7, same with arcsys or capcom they all have 1 main game or 2-3 different series and they all make new games that the majority of the community will move on.

CS:GO is a single community and Valve doesnt make any other Counter strike, same with LOL and Dota, this isnt the same with smash bros nintendo makes a new smash every few years.

On the aspects of microtransactions nintendo doesnt add microtransactions to their main console game period much less on a game with E+10 rating.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious. Supporting the community with 15k-20k USD would have been nothing to them, but instead they've chosen the cheapest way out.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
On the aspects of microtransactions nintendo doesnt add microtransactions to their main console game period much less on a game with E+10 rating.
They sell costumes for Mii Fighters and are about to sell another season pass. They can sell microtransactions at any time for any of their games. Amiibos are arguably another form of microtransactions. Honestly, they could use half of the money they're getting from the season pass and costumes towards tournament winnings and still have plenty leftover.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Melee doesn't actually pull in more viewers by any real quantifiable metric. It's still active obviously but Ultimate is where the audience money is, which is one of the reasons a lot of Melee players still play it when Smash 4 was never given that time for longer than a few months.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just Nintendo can't afford it, Smash is a niche franchise and it's not a sales giant that they can easily chip in a bit.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Melee doesn't actually pull in more viewers by any real quantifiable metric. It's still active obviously but Ultimate is where the audience money is, which is one of the reasons a lot of Melee players still play it when Smash 4 was never given that time for longer than a few months.

I dunno about that one. There's a significant amount of people who tune in for that game specifically.
Near the end of Smash 4 the viewership in 2018 started looking like this
Not 100% conclusive of anything, but there are pretty quantifiable metrics showing that you shouldn't really understate the viewership.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
As someone who attended two of Nintendo's official tournament events as a competitor and directly interacted with their staff (and got one of those gold-plated Pro controllers to boot!), there are a few things I would like to discuss here.

However it is very late at night and I'm tired, so I'll come back to this tomorrow.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about that one. There's a significant amount of people who tune in for that game specifically.
Near the end of Smash 4 the viewership in 2018 started looking like this
Not 100% conclusive of anything, but there are pretty quantifiable metrics showing that you shouldn't really understate the viewership.
You're definitely right that it sn't conclusive of anything given that the first image lacks a lot of context in terms of when it was taken, what event it was at, and more.

And I never understated Melee's viewership. What I am stating is that Ultimate regularly outpaces it in terms of viewers, not just at at multiple events but in regular streams.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You're definitely right that it sn't conclusive of anything given that the first image lacks a lot of context in terms of when it was taken, what event it was at, and more.

And I never understated Melee's viewership. What I am stating is that Ultimate regularly outpaces it in terms of viewers, not just at at multiple events but in regular streams.

Wheres the data for that one?
I know in some majors ie. Pound 2019 Melee peaked at close to 80k while Ultimate peaked close to 50k in top8. GOML 2019 was a similar situation. Its impossible to know how many stay for both games is the problem. For a gamecube game those numbers are crazy.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wheres the data for that one?
I know in some majors ie. Pound 2019 Melee peaked at close to 80k while Ultimate peaked close to 50k in top8. GOML 2019 was a similar situation. Its impossible to know how many stay for both games is the problem. For a gamecube game those numbers are crazy.
Genesis 7 and Super Smash Con 2019 both outdid those numbers in terms of viewerships, with the latter peaking at 83k during Ultimate based on my cursory glance. I'd also be remiss not to mention Evo 2019 breaking audience numbers in general, albeit some may consider that unfair a comparison given Melee's absence.

The events that outperform another is highly dependent on what events and what players attend. Point being, again, there's no quantifiable metric to show Melee is more popular than Ultimate.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Genesis 7 and Super Smash Con 2019 both outdid those numbers in terms of viewerships, with the latter peaking at 83k during Ultimate based on my cursory glance.

The events that outperform another is highly dependent on what events and what players attend. Point being, again, there's no quantifiable metric to show Melee is more popular than Ultimate.

Wasn't making a statement, just questioning the methodology. Either way it seems to compete in viewership.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see how anyone can defend this, such prize pots are mere pocket money to a company of Nintendo's size. This isn't about wanting to spend the money elsewhere, this is a direct snub to its own most dedicated community and esports as a whole.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
..... what does 2nd and 3rd place on Smash get?

Do they just get one joy con each?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Melee gets crazy viewer spikes during finals especially if Mang0 or one of those guys go far. But during the bulk of the tournaments, and any other day that's not Top 8, Ultimate constantly has more average viewership. So I'd argue Melee, while pulling some insane numbers still, is less healthy due to being so tied to its main players and less the game itself.