• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

"Expectations. Check 'em. We're not getting EVERYTHING we want out of this...because that would just be too easy. This is the beginning of a staggered release of info."

I thought this was worth it's own thread, as people (myself included) were starting to expect some very big and crazy things this Thursday. If it isn't, please lock it.

The poster is a regular host for Inside Xbox, and he's replying directly to Aaron Greenberg.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've been grappling with the possibilities of what they could show versus it being an Inside Xbox branded thing (which are typically terrible imo).

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'm honestly missing E3.
Seriously. What pubs had to do this year due to the global situation is clearly necessary and completely understandable. But I truly hope we get some kind of E3 week (even if it's not officially "E3") again next year rather than a friggen four month news stagger.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard not to have high expectation when they announce an inside Xbox showcasing next gen gameplay, then randomly tell outlets that they won't show first party stuff till the summer, and later they release a plan to show info every month for the rest of the year.

I just want to see some halo, man

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
It's hard not to have high expectation when they announce an inside Xbox showcasing next gen gameplay, then randomly tell outlets that they won't show first party stuff till the summer, and later they release a plan to show info every month for the rest of the year.

I just want to see some halo, man
As do I, but if all I get from this event is Elden Ring, I leave happy. Pleeaaasseee

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Seems a rather pointless to me unless you're posting it for the Greenberg tweet. Austin is simply regurgitating exactly what Greenburg tweeted. Aside from saying, "You're not getting EVERYTHING you want," though I don't recall many people going around saying they were.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
we will see some third party gameplay. A few reveals. That's all. We won't see a price or date announcement And no first party.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Not really sure this adds anything, expectations have been set to reasonable levels when they announced 'no first party', then 'third party only', and then they brought the final piece by saying that their e3 equivalent will be in July.

I'm expecting maybe a few new announces and then either stuff we've heard about or current things but running upgraded.

Anything more and I'll be happy.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Elden Ring is unlikely imo. From will focus on this gen.

Same for Cyberpunk, it'd be weird for them to announce an event next month, say no patch for next-gen at laucnh, but still show up tomorrow.
Thats assuming Elden Ring releases before November, which I doubt especially with all the COVID stuff.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. What pubs had to do this year due to the global situation is clearly necessary and completely understandable. But I truly hope we get some kind of E3 week (even if it's not officially "E3") again next year rather than a friggen four month news stagger.
I actually like this plan a lot more. E3 "week" was actually Saturday, Sunday, and Monday with conferences, and not so much being announced during the expo itself. Then, the rest of June without announcements, and nothing in July either. Same thing for gamescom. There's going to be a lot more discussion this way, and that makes me happy.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly missing E3.
This. I wish MS hyped a big show, and showed everything. Then just give us staggered gameplay till launch. But Sony is going to do this same stupid stuff, have a show, show some third parties, then stagger stuff until launch. Hating this approach. Also missing E3.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I already have ACV for the launch. At this point, I honestly just want to know the price points for these systems.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to do the opposite of thread whining. Yes. This legitimately deserves its own thread. I keep seeing people everywhere start to spin out with expectations.

This is going to be less than an hour right? It's not going to be super crazy. But it will still probably be fun.

Keep expectations in check. The real big one is in July.

Just show Elden Ring and this is the hypest show of all time

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I think this is a great approach considering the global situation, specially considering MS has been very mindful and transparent with the fan base. While I love E3, I was always overwhelmed with information, not everyone has the time to watch all the press conferences and livestreams in a short time span.

I love video games and I love to have news about them, but I hope this year really helps the industry move forward and innovate with new ways to let us know about the amazing games they are making.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017

"Expectations. Check 'em. We're not getting EVERYTHING we want out of this...because that would just be too easy. This is the beginning of a staggered release of info."

I thought this was worth it's own thread, as people (myself included) were starting to expect some very big and crazy things this Thursday. If it isn't, please lock it.

The poster is a regular host for Inside Xbox, and he's replying directly to Aaron Greenberg.

I actually was noting in one of the other threads that I'm kind of dreading the avalanche of negativity that probably will follow in the wake of this event. And it's not because the event will be terrible, but because people are going to have ridiculously high expectations, as they so often do . . .

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Not really sure this adds anything, expectations have been set to reasonable levels when they announced 'no first party', then 'third party only', and then they brought the final piece by saying that their e3 equivalent will be in July.

I'm expecting maybe a few new announces and then either stuff we've heard about or current things but running upgraded.

Anything more and I'll be happy.
They're just reiterating the message so that people don't get carried away. MS has clearly learned their lesson from the Xbox One reveal, and wants to stamp down on the erroneous 'Xbox [Series X] has no games' narrative before it rears its ugly head, which is wise. Better to temper consumers expectations now so that they can satisfy them, rather than falling spectacularly short short.

This isn't going to be the Batman, Harry Potter, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, Starfield, Prince of Persia, Resident Evil blowout some are anticipating. Hell, I'd be surprised if they had even two of those.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They're just reiterating so that people don't get carried away. Better to temper peoples expectations now and meet them, than fall short.

This isn't going to be the Batman, Harry Potter, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, Starfield, Prince of Persia, Resident Evil blowout some are anticipating. Hell, I'd be surprised if they had even two of those.

I'd expect the higher-profile games featured to be already announced ones (like AC:V) and the "new game reveals" to be lower-profile titles.

No big publisher is going to have their AAAA franchise debut on a random Inside Xbox when they all have their own shows and events.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
A staggered release is dumb. Especially for Halo Infinite, a game we have seen 0 gameplay of despite the fact it's coming out in 6 months.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited for the assassins creed gameplay and idk anything else that could reasonably be there. Maybe that crysis remaster?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I think that this thread is a worthwhile reminder...

Yes, we know of a lot of next-gen projects, but some of them will wait until the PS5 reveal. Some will do their own reveals.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
At this point I'm only really expecting AC:V gameplay and maybe 1 other AAA tease and a couple of indie titles or currently out game that's getting upgraded to XSX. As long as there's proper XSX gameplay,and not just cinematic camera angles or 30 sec of footage sliced up, I'll be good.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going in with the expectations of "Assassin's Creed and not much else" that way anything more is a pleasant surprise.

Was thinking maybe a Cyberpunk tease at first, but then CDPR announced their own thing

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
It was branded Inside Xbox. Never get excited for anything branded Inside Xbox.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they always said from the beginning the May event was only for 3rd parties right?
Yes and you will still see huge complaints about what was not announced. That's just the way people are.

If you send and email with two items on it, 90 percent of people stop reading after the first one.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I'd expect the higher-profile games featured to be already announced ones (like AC:V) and the "new game reveals" to be lower-profile titles.

No big publisher is going to have their AAAA franchise debut on a random Inside Xbox when they all have their own shows and events.
Eh, I'd have my expectations set a little bit higher than that. MS are clearly putting far more weight behind this than your usual Inside Xbox, and there's enough smoke and teasing from insiders to suggest there'll be some excitement here. Personally I feel like they're placing greater emphasis on this showcase than even their big annual XO events, so I don't think this is just another "random Inside Xbox".

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like this will be stuff for the July showing, but I'd honestly be really psyched if we got to see the OS interface, game switching in action, the boot up sequence, etc...

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It being an Inside Xbox should have been a clear signal to keep expectations relatively low.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This next gen reveal has been the worst sort of teasing hand job that just keeps taking you to the edge, then dunks your junk in a bucket of ice water.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I know, but at least we could expect announcements of almost every publisher at once.

Now it's 4 months.
I think you're really getting hung up on the 4 months thing. We've always seen game announcements in May and the lead up to E3.

The only difference this year is we're going to see some of these games demo'd on a next gen console this week.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Aaron Greenberg said on Twitter that the show is less than an hour. Wouldn't be surprised if it's just a segment of the show with like 3 or 4 games.

Just keep your expectations in check and not a game blowout and you'll enjoy what you see I bet.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I thought this would be the first good Inside Xbox ever but maybe it won't be? Honestly find that hard to believe though. If they're trying to temper expectations now its way too damn late and they're going to get run over by the hype train the way Sony has several times recently.