Developer: Gust
Publisher: Koei-Tecmo
Platforms: PS4, Steam, Switch
Price: Base: $60/€69.99/ Digital Deluxe(does NOT include season pass): $75
Genre: Turn Based JRPG
Size: 6.1GB
Launch Trailer:

About:
Adventure in the world of magic and adventure. Based off the hit Manga/Anime come revisit the story of the land of Fiore. A Strategy JRPG with a party max of five and 16 characters to unlock.

Story:
So this comes with a huge Asterix, the main two arcs Grand Magic Games and Tartaros are relatively self contained and newcomer friendly as it follows a time skip but the intro/tutorial is the finale of Tenrou Island which is the finale of Part 1 of the series. So here's a guide:
Fairy Tail part one: Chapters 1-253(which includes the entire Tenrou Island arc) or Anime Episodes: 1-122(there is one filler arc composing of episodes 69-75 that is completely skippable as it was an anime original ending arc).
So you have 3 choices, get caught up in reading/watching, be super confused on the intro, or watch a recap video, here's one that got recommended in another thread by Evilisk (If someone finds a better one let me know)

The game covers an Abridged version of: Tenrou Island arc(final 20 chapters/10 episodes or so), Grand Magic Games and Tartaros(chapters: 254-417, Anime episodes 123-4,151-203, 227-265; 125-257 is the canon filler arc Key of the Starry skies which is not covered by the game, 204-226 is the filler arc Celestial Eclipse, it is unknown if the game touches on it)

Gameplay:
Grid based turn-based JRPG battles, party size goes up to 5, certain missions have required members but otherwise you can use whoever you want even as party members.
The game encourages you to use your magic attacks as much as possible and characters all have different styles and different attacks have different grid layouts.
Buy and make Lacrimas in the guild to upgrade your characters.
Upgrading your Guild is another major component using material you get as you play.
Collect sidequests at the quest board. A number of characters are unlocked by sidequests(don't have all the info on this yet). You can also get more costumes for your characters by leveling them up. Characters also have game original side stories you can do throughout the game. Note some characters and sidequests are locked until the postgame

Characters:
16 characters from Fairy Tail and other Guilds.
Fairy Tail: Natsu, Lucy, Erza, Gray, Wendy, Gajeel, Juvia, Laxus, Mirajane, Guildarts.
Other: Ichiya, Rogue, Sting, Jellal, Sherria, Kagura
WHyGnLV.jpg

DLC:
Free Photo Mode update August 6
Fairy-Tail_2020_07-27-20_001-scaled.jpg

Characters(undated, not yet priced. Individual purchases other than the Strauss siblings(Elfman/Lisanna):
Levi, Lyon, Elfman and Lisanna
Fairy-Tail_2020_07-27-20_003.jpg

Fairy-Tail_2020_07-27-20_002.jpg

Fairy-Tail_2020_07-27-20_005.jpg

Fairy-Tail_2020_07-27-20_004.jpg

Costume Packs: (3 sets of 16, Final Arc, Variety, and Swimsuit Special. Can be purchased individually or as a bundle)
Fairy-Tail_2020_07-27-20_006.jpg

FAQ: Will be updated as needed

Q: Do I need to watch/read the show first
A: No but the tutorial/into may be super confusing

Q: Is Ichiya truly weak to everything in his defense stats?
A: That is correct
Q:Does he have an upside?
A: Don't have an answer for that one yet
Also any good character breakdowns/tips will be threadmarked! If you have anything you feel need to be added to the OP let me know

Last edited:

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty interested in this after trying and really liking Ryza. I've never been a fan of Fairy Tail, but I might pick this up at a discount at some point. There's no reason to pre-order this, right?

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Nice OT.

I've been pondering picking this one up. Read through a good bit of the manga on Crunchyroll and had a good time with it. Definitely interested in hearing some impressions when it releases.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
Great OT!
The game seems nice enough, even better for fans of course.
I don't consider myself one as I only watched 30-ish episodes of the anime, but I might give it a shot on the first price drop.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't read the Japanese, are Erza and Lucy's DLC costumes paid DLC? It seems like they should have been in the game.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I can't read the Japanese, are Erza and Lucy's DLC costumes paid DLC? It seems like they should have been in the game.
The Ms Fairy Tail Erza costume is free until August 13 according to the Eshop. It's just not listed yet.

The Lucy Ryza costume is part of the digital deluxe edition however with the 5 additional GMG Fairy Tail team A costumes(it's 15$ extra bucks on top of the base game, welcome to Koei Tecmos dlc practices). It sucks but it's KT's MO sadly.

There are multiple costumes for each character in the game, we don't know how many though

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So... what are the chances a certain character becomes dlc? If they snuck him in I will buy this game full price immediately

latest

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about picking this up on Switch. But I might wait for a sale or something.

(Is there any reason why Lisanna is called "Lisanne" in the OP? Did she get a name change?)

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty early in but the game kinda feels half baked. You can definitely tell its skeleton is the Atelier engine, many of the basic animations are clearly ripped straight from Atelier games. It just kinda lacks depth... there's a ton of characters but they all sorta have the same strategy of battle and don't seem (at least the first few) to have anything except very basic "damage dealer" or "support" archetypes. You get some broken ass abilities very fast and early and there's not really much in the way of challenge either. Atelier games have really cool progression systems and your power spikes as you learn more about synthesis; there's not much really to substitute that in Fairy Tail since you just sorta get stronger as you level w/ only a basic accessory system to tack on.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Thank all that is good and holy that it isn't yet another musou game.

Typo, I'll assume.

Yea main reason why I brought it than skip like I do for most anime games. Even though at least some of the fairy tail arc feel would of been good/ easily adapted for a musou game.
Got it 2 days early but still playing Ghost of Tsushima so waiting before playing this.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get « limited edition growth lacrima x5 » is that normal ? Got all other dlc

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also what does it means on the grid battle when a square is orange / red / yellow ? I guess red is a stronger effect then orange and yelllow ,

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watched a review of this the other day and reminded me that this startd in the middle of a arc and I already had this preloaded so I'm trying to decide if I want to read the manga from where I left off years ago or continue via anime

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a review of this the other day and reminded me that this startd in the middle of a arc and I already had this preloaded so I'm trying to decide if I want to read the manga from where I left off years ago or continue via anime
From what I've heard from somebody who's beaten the game and has little/no knowledge of the series, as long as you're familiar with the characters and general goals you'd be okay to hop into the game.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OT! Definitely going to play some this weekend I hope, I love the look and the combat feel - excited to rebuild the guild!

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I played this for review and enjoyed my time with it enough to go for the Plat, only problem is, I can't seem to get the last Trophy lol. Says to complete all Requests which is what i'm pretty sure i've done, only have the repeatable ones left.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I played this for review and enjoyed my time with it enough to go for the Plat, only problem is, I can't seem to get the last Trophy lol. Says to complete all Requests which is what i'm pretty sure i've done, only have the repeatable ones left.

Which difficulty did you play ? It get more challenging later on ?

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
What does it mean when there is an "eye" above characters names during combat? I think it also appears next to enemies names if I'm not mistaken?

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm one of the few who seems to enjoy Fairy Tail, but I still might wait for a sale. $60 is steep for an RPG where I already know the story.
My only word of caution is the US print run is likely on the limited side if Ryza is an indicator and we're less likely to get a reprint. So there might be a batch of sales but then it'll disappear. Also Gust games digitally rarely get over a 40% discount

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nice work on the OT.

If you are a Fairy Tail fan, you gotta play this. Despite some of its flaws, this is one of the better anime/manga based games out there and it'll give you a lot of fun content to engage with. (both as a fan and as a player)

Oct 25, 2017
About a hour in. I really like it. Some love put into this(looks at bandai for everything not naruto& Dbz). Can gust get more anime cuz this is great

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
About a hour in. I really like it. Some love put into this(looks at bandai for everything not naruto& Dbz). Can gust get more anime cuz this is great
Good to see you here! Still waiting for my copy. And hey Elfman is dlc at least!
also at the least they want to turn this into a series if the game's successful. But having their b team work on more licensed games like this would lead to a healthier Atelier cycle too but time will tell

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
I wish I took a day-off been itching to play. I love the Atelier series and enjoyed FT despite the up and down of the series.
Eden Zero costume when? I want to see Erza in Elsie's pirate outfit ;D

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Fffffuuuu- stop giving me mandatory party members for requests! Lemme use who I want! rrrreeeeee

My biggest annoyance thus far is that this game seems to switch HDR on, but doesn't actually have HDR (or it is bugged), making it look completely washed out. I have to turn HDR of manually on the ps4 to get it to stop. :(

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Picked up my copy this morning. Looking forward to it. I don't usually start games the first time on hard mode, but I'm leaning that way here with what I've read.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I love Fairy Tail, should I get this? Some reviewers seem to really like it and some seem very down on it, so I seek y'all's take. I'd get Switch if the visuals are acceptable

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I am interested in this game despite never watching/reading the show. I think it looks interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
I love Fairy Tail, should I get this? Some reviewers seem to really like it and some seem very down on it, so I seek y'all's take. I'd get Switch if the visuals are acceptable
I don't love fairy tail and I'm having a blast so that extra fan fare for you will push you to like the game even more. I'm only a hour in. The characters have a variety of moves already just to start all doing something different, there's tons of content from the guild requests,community request, story missions than upgrading the guild facilities as well. This all within one hour I say go for it

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
the tutorial battle corresponds with my preconceived notions of this property which is this hades guy wrecks their shit and then friendship says no and they get back up and pwn him, lol

pretty cool spell animations

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't love fairy tail and I'm having a blast so that extra fan fare for you will push you to like the game even more. I'm only a hour in. The characters have a variety of moves already just to start all doing something different, there's tons of content from the guild requests,community request, story missions than upgrading the guild facilities as well. This all within one hour I say go for it
Make sure you unlock Ichiya when you can, if this is accurate to the series he may be physically weak but he should also be the best Buff/trap character in the game(he uses Perfume magic)