• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
New York
Just finished getting the platinum trophy for the game. While its definitely not the best game I enjoyed it all the way through. Being a fan of the anime/manga I had a blast being able to do their flashy moves over and over. Being as it gets very tedious quick doing the side quests and attacks I wouldn't recommend anyone buying the game at $60 especially if you've never read or seen the series.

Jun 23, 2019
Just finished getting the platinum trophy for the game. While its definitely not the best game I enjoyed it all the way through. Being a fan of the anime/manga I had a blast being able to do their flashy moves over and over. Being as it gets very tedious quick doing the side quests and attacks I wouldn't recommend anyone buying the game at $60 especially if you've never read or seen the series.

How long did it take you to get through the game and get the Platinum?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
why is gajeel a fuggin cop
Manga/anime spoilers?
Can't remember if he ever had a cop costume in a chapter cover or not, but it's because he went to work for the magic council as an enforcer during the second time skip and for a short while there was a running joke where he kept promising he was going to arrest the other fairy tail members, both played for laughs and also a few emotional moments with levy.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
These prices are some hot garbage. I said initially that I was going to get all DLC, because I loved Fairy Tail that much. But that was before this. SIXTY DOLLAR SEASON PASS?!

No. What does "10 year" and "100 year quest" entail anyway? 100 Year Quest is the sequel manga. Unless you're selling me an entire sequel game (I doubt this) there's no reason some "requests" should cost that much.

Doesn't even include new costumes. THREE FORTY DOLLAR COSTUME SETS?! Fuck. Off. Damn shame too, because I really like some of their Final Season outfits, and was hoping we'd see those in game if we reached Post Tartaros.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
These prices are some hot garbage. I said initially that I was going to get all DLC, because I loved Fairy Tail that much. But that was before this. SIXTY DOLLAR SEASON PASS?!

No. What does "10 year" and "100 year quest" entail anyway? 100 Year Quest is the sequel manga. Unless you're selling me an entire sequel game (I doubt this) there's no reason some "requests" should cost that much.

Doesn't even include new costumes. THREE FORTY DOLLAR COSTUME SETS?! Fuck. Off. Damn shame too, because I really like some of their Final Season outfits, and was hoping we'd see those in game if we reached Post Tartaros.

Looking at the costumes there isn't many that I would actually pay for but the prices are really outrageous. Gust only started being like this recently, in fact after being bought by Koei Tecmo I think...

As for the season pass, I might buy parts of it separately, depends on if they sell them separately. But hopefully when there's a discount.

Oct 27, 2017
New York

These are all ready in the game. Essentially just go here and kill this boss. So I'm assuming it's just more random bosses for this quest line.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i watched some episodes of the anime and if it wasn't so aggressively heteronormative and body shame filled i would think it wasn't so bad

alas, what more can i expect

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
fanservice doesn't bother me, just the shots against gays and non traditionally attractive people

if everyone wants to take their clothes off constantly that's cool to me, but i don't like mean spiritedness

seems like a missed opportunity tbh, fairy tail is introduced as this hyper independent everyone is kinda weird and unique and that's what makes them cool guild, and yet the author clearly is only interested in norms

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just reached the epilogue. Playing through the main story and probably about 80 to 90% of side content took me about 30 hours. Like what others and I said in my earlier posts, it feels like a lot of the story has been cut out because they didn't have the budget to make models for every character. So some fights have been omitted. It's quite sad to see just some of the villains being represented by a portrait or a summary saying that they have been defeated by so and so. Overall it felt like a game that got released with development time that was cut by 6 months to a year. There are only about 10 kinds of enemies, pallette swapped now and then.

The game is also incredibly easy even on hard if you do the side content. Not sure if it offers a challenge if you minimise the side content you do.

What I like was the building of the guild and the character stories. All the magic during battles look good as well. We also get the occasional high quality cut scenes that look great.

I kind of regret getting this at full price.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I disagree with the people being super down on the game, even though I'm sort of enjoying it quite a bit still. Though it's probably not a good sign that on day one I played for 8 hours, now today I stopped after only 1 hour, during which all the battles I did were auto battles with the animations off lol. At this point I can see the rest of my play through being described as primarily going back and forth through areas as FT girls in swimsuits.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Resubbed to FF14 because it's got a big patch dropping Tuesday. I had originally planned on spending the weekend focused on FT since I got addicted to Fall Guys at the end of last week, but the DLC drop for FT just.....kinda deflated me, not gonna lie. So I spent all weekend getting refamiliar with a damn MMO.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Ugh, I just got to the epilogue and all the wandering mobs are now like level eighty? What the heck am I supposed to do here?

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i got to chapter 7 and now there are so many random flavor quests/friend recruitment quest that every time i step back in the guild it plays like 3 cutscenes

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Overall it felt like a game that got released with development time that was cut by 6 months to a year. There are only about 10 kinds of enemies, pallette swapped now and then.

And yet it was actually delayed by 4 months, and the press demo released in late 2019 looks pretty much identical to the finished product. I know the final delay was COVID-related, but one has to wonder what they were doing with the time...!

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
And yet it was actually delayed by 4 months, and the press demo released in late 2019 looks pretty much identical to the finished product. I know the final delay was COVID-related, but one has to wonder what they were doing with the time...!

Didn't pay attention to the credit list but the team who worked on this is probably very lean, as per regular Gust. I don't know how big Gust is now, after being acquired by KT, but the Atelier Rorona series used to be made by like 20 devs, each game taking like 1 year. I guess they added more character story and side quests. I'm surprised how some of the bonding level ups come with no small scene between the characters.

Nov 2, 2017
Got through the epilogue and I cheesed the Gildarts 1 vs 1 fight in a pretty funny way, without even intending to do so. I just wanted to see how strong he was since the recommended level is 90.

Anyway, I used Lucy. Thanks to Celestial Protection, Lucy survives any attack as long as she was at 30% or higher. In addition, one attack from Gildarts is strong enough to raise the Awakening Gauge to max. So when Gildarts attacks again, just use Awakening in retaliation to survive the attack and to heal Lucy...which once again puts her in range to be protected by Celestial Protection and when she's hit again, her Awakening Gauge goes to max and...yeah, Lucy essentially couldn't die so even if she wasn't hitting for much damage, she eventually beat Gildarts.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Got through the epilogue and I cheesed the Gildarts 1 vs 1 fight in a pretty funny way, without even intending to do so. I just wanted to see how strong he was since the recommended level is 90.

Anyway, I used Lucy. Thanks to Celestial Protection, Lucy survives any attack as long as she was at 30% or higher. In addition, one attack from Gildarts is strong enough to raise the Awakening Gauge to max. So when Gildarts attacks again, just use Awakening in retaliation to survive the attack and to heal Lucy...which once again puts her in range to be protected by Celestial Protection and when she's hit again, her Awakening Gauge goes to max and...yeah, Lucy essentially couldn't die so even if she wasn't hitting for much damage, she eventually beat Gildarts.

I love Tank strategies like that. How long did it take?

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think it's very funny that theres a system in the game where you're just like hmmm yes i would like to kill 50 monsters right now and just summon a horde of exp

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I...didn't really look that closely at the time, so I'm not sure that sure. It was probably somewhere between five and ten minutes. Lucy has a move to decrease Defense so that helps and Gildarts didn't have a huge amount of HP, he just hit really hard.
Lore wise he's always bordered on glass cannon especially after losing limbs to Aqualogia. But his raw power intimidates most into not making things extended battles either due to his raw power or intimidation. Then again the power to break things down on a molecular level is pretty ridiculous

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Okay, I just finished the main story -- does the anime really end like that? Just a million loose ends?
No I believe there's several more arcs left(2-3) and then there's the sequel manga(same author but he handed the art off to another artist). They choose the arcs they did because it fit the guild mechanics the best. They'd love to do sequels covering more arcs

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished ghost of tsushima. Starting fairly tail. Oh boy the game is ugly 😅😅