• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
My physical copy just arrived via Amazon. I thought a costume for Erza was supposed to come with it? Or is that just for digital preorders? I'll live either way, but just thought I could ask for someone else who got a physical copy to compare.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My physical copy just arrived via Amazon. I thought a costume for Erza was supposed to come with it? Or is that just for digital preorders? I'll live either way, but just thought I could ask for someone else who got a physical copy to compare.

I imagine it's the same on PS4 but on Switch you just go on the eShop and download it. It's free until the 12th(?) but you don't actually need to own the game to download it so if anyone is on the fence download the free DLC now to be safe.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Enjoying the game so far. I'm at chapter 3.
Are there any in gsme costumes besides the recolored versions in the game?
Or will every costume be DLC?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I imagine it's the same on PS4 but on Switch you just go on the eShop and download it. It's free until the 12th(?) but you don't actually need to own the game to download it so if anyone is on the fence download the free DLC now to be safe.

Oh thanks! I think I read that somewhere on the first page, but stepped away before I could edit my post. Good to know!

Enjoying the game so far. I'm at chapter 3.
Or will every costume be DLC?

I hope there are some in game costumes. Fairy Tail had a LOT of clothing for the characters, so I hope we're offered at least some....

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yes there are. Don't get your hopes up tho.

If you want a more detailed answer:
Everyone (even the characters you unlock later) will get a swimsuit costume when you progress past a certain point in the story.

After beating the Epilogue you will also unlock additional costumes for Erza and Lucy. (Their transformations will become separate costumes for you to pick)

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
My only real hesitation for really digging in is seeing if we get a date for Elfman next week cause it feels wrong to do GmG without him

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My only real hesitation for really digging in is seeing if we get a date for Elfman next week cause it feels wrong to do GmG without him
I don't know if this counts as a spoiler or not so I'll put it in a spoiler:
IIRC all of the story fights in the tournament have you using specific character(s) against specific enemy/enemies. So even if you wait for him, you are not gonna be able use him in those fights.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't know if this counts as a spoiler or not so I'll put it in a spoiler:
IIRC all of the story fights in the tournament have you using specific character(s) against specific enemy/enemies. So even if you wait for him, you are not gonna be able use him in those fights.
Oh then I guess I'd only be able to use him in the postgame/Any potential update added new game + anyways. Guess that means it's less of an issue then

Oct 29, 2017
I'm midway through the "games" in Chapter 3 on PS4. REALLY enjoying this. Love that you can save anywhere. Love that you can instantly fast travel anywhere. There's a lot of layers of systems going on, but I'm not overwhelmed at all, as everything is explained very well. It's almost relaxing in a sense. I don't feel like I'm "missing" anything. Every time I level or rank anything up, it just feels really good! I think I've found my new game I'm going to play until I finish it. Music is good and not irritating. Love how flashy all the moves are. Menu system is great. Load times are super quick. I already have a backlog of "requests" but I just want to finish these games haha! And also get the max number of party member slots whenever that happens!

Mar 18, 2020
I bought this on a whim without having read the manga or seen the anime, but it's fun.

Started watching the anime and it's fairly fun too

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
So far this is my favourite "brain-off, just zen jrpg play" game this year. Kinda like the show. Some guest characters are _clearly_ placed in your team to make sure you don't lose boss fights, unless you're actively trying to lose.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Honestly, my biggest complaint with the game is that it's making me want to watch Fairy Tail, and I know for a fact that's a complete waste of time.

It's a great turn-your-brain-off-and-listen-to-a-podcast game.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Story:
So this comes with a huge Asterix, the main two arcs Grand Magic Games and Tartaros are relatively self contained and newcomer friendly as it follows a time skip but the intro/tutorial is the finale of Tenrou Island which is the finale of Part 1 of the series.

Ok, it's been a million years since I last touched Fairy Tail. Is the Grand Magic Games arc the one that comes after the following events?

I vaguely remember the following:

- Something about an island training arc?
- Something about Cana's father?
- Jellal is back and actually good now and is travelling with two other former villains as well
- Last thing I remember is some kind of big team battle competition?

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Ok, it's been a million years since I last touched Fairy Tail. Is the Grand Magic Games arc the one that comes after the following events?

- Jellal is back and actually good now and is travelling with two other former villains as well

Yes, slash some of the events you mention haven't quite happened at the beginning of the game

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

The big team battle competition IS the Grand Magic Games arc. And your lineup of events preceding it are pretty much spot on.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
On my 5th day of the tournament and the budget constraints are more and more obvious as you play. Which is a pity. The game is rather enjoyable on hard, if not still a bit too easy. Could be because I'm upgrading the guild and doing side requests. Gust is really a suitable dev for a Fairy Tail game. I hope this sells well enough for them to make a sequel covering the rest of the arcs, hopefully with better budget. The game feels like a first draft or a beta. I would recommend for a price drop if you are not a big Fairy Tail fan.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I bought the game on a whim, and as someone who's played all the One Piece games (but not read or watched any actual One Piece), it just seems like Fairy Tail.. is just Fantasy One Piece?

Also, is there a reason bond ranks just stop rising? All my character's bond ranks seem to be maxed at a random note. They're orange and the next one isn't filling, but I don't see conversations anywhere.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I bought the game on a whim, and as someone who's played all the One Piece games (but not read or watched any actual One Piece), it just seems like Fairy Tail.. is just Fantasy One Piece?

Also, is there a reason bond ranks just stop rising? All my character's bond ranks seem to be maxed at a random note. They're orange and the next one isn't filling, but I don't see conversations anywhere.
I'd guess story progress gating

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
Oh boy is the epilogue ending an absolute disapointment... Wish I knew this and I wouldnt of bothered with it

For anyone who wants to know:

You basicly have to find all guild members and have them rejoin the guild, then you get to rank 10 in guild rankings to get s-rank and that's it, that's the end

Last edited:

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
You also need to do requests with the characters (and other guild members, but the ones you want to level need to be in the active party). Each request gives rewards and renown, and though it doesn't say it, bonding points. You'll see the bonding points being rewarded on the dialog box that pops up when you turn in the requests at the guild hall.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You also need to do requests with the characters (and other guild members, but the ones you want to level need to be in the active party). Each request gives rewards and renown, and though it doesn't say it, bonding points. You'll see the bonding points being rewarded on the dialog box that pops up when you turn in the requests at the guild hall.

Thanks!

It turned out my issue was that I'd changed cities as part of the story, but I was going back to the older city to look for the conversations when I should have been looking in the new city. I'd only been venturing out into the new city as part of requests, so the conversations weren't showing there.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks!

It turned out my issue was that I'd changed cities as part of the story, but I was going back to the older city to look for the conversations when I should have been looking in the new city. I'd only been venturing out into the new city as part of requests, so the conversations weren't showing there.
Glad it was resolved! I find myself always checking each location every once in a while to see if new requests or convos pop up in the middle of nowhere :|

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
Oh boy is the epilogue ending an absolute disapointment... Wish I knew this and I wouldnt of bothered with it

You basicly have to find all guild members and have them rejoin the guild, then you get to rank 10 in guild rankings to get s-rank and that's it, that's the end

I think that sounds like a good epilogue since, at the end of the Tartaros arc, FT disbanded and in chapter 419 is the start of Natsu & Lucy bringing back Fairy Tail. It's a good lead-in if they ever make FT 2

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
How are you guys liking this game? Any ultimate Lacrima in this game? Anyway I can farm the Lacrama shards

Last edited:

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Are there any secret bosses?

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I haven't fully finished Fairy Tail yet, but I am getting kinda close, and even if future final fights break this trend, this doesn't change the fact that this game has literal multiple hour long segments of utter boredom. Why is that? Well, you see, Fairy Tail is a shounen, with lots of one on one fights and generally segments that don't favor turn based rpg format. As a result, they cannot make any interesting fights. You get 3-4 hour long stretches of "set pieces" fights where you are expected to spam same move over and over in what is essentially a turn based cutscene. They don't know which charcters you focused on building up. Some characters have really rigid roles of support or dps, so you don't get interesting options to design bosses around. It's just cutsene where you need to select menu options. And these happen over and over, for mutliple hours in a row with your only break being running around same segregated area and fighting super easy enemies. cuz once again, they can't design interesting enemy encounters, you need to be able to win em by just spamming natsu's aoe, since you literally have nothing else. Or like, defeat them with wendy, who is a low dps support character... There's been ONE tough boss fight the whole time so far, it was half a game ago. Rest of the game is just that. I geniunely prefer parts of the game where I just run around doing check lists of side quests and guild upgrading. Cuz those feel more rewarding, and legit have harder more strategic fights prepared for you at times.

I am playing on HARD btw, I assume on normal and below, you can just turn on auto fight for entire game.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't fully finished Fairy Tail yet, but I am getting kinda close, and even if future final fights break this trend, this doesn't change the fact that this game has literal multiple hour long segments of utter boredom. Why is that? Well, you see, Fairy Tail is a shounen, with lots of one on one fights and generally segments that don't favor turn based rpg format. As a result, they cannot make any interesting fights. You get 3-4 hour long stretches of "set pieces" fights where you are expected to spam same move over and over in what is essentially a turn based cutscene. They don't know which charcters you focused on building up. Some characters have really rigid roles of support or dps, so you don't get interesting options to design bosses around. It's just cutsene where you need to select menu options. And these happen over and over, for mutliple hours in a row with your only break being running around same segregated area and fighting super easy enemies. cuz once again, they can't design interesting enemy encounters, you need to be able to win em by just spamming natsu's aoe, since you literally have nothing else. Or like, defeat them with wendy, who is a low dps support character... There's been ONE tough boss fight the whole time so far, it was half a game ago. Rest of the game is just that. I geniunely prefer parts of the game where I just run around doing check lists of side quests and guild upgrading. Cuz those feel more rewarding, and legit have harder more strategic fights prepared for you at times.

I am playing on HARD btw, I assume on normal and below, you can just turn on auto fight for entire game.

I have to agree. I am now in Chapter 7 and those 1 to 1 fights are the worst. In general fights with more members at least require some semblance of strategy. Running around doing requests and raising your guild, bonds and doing small character stories is definitely much better. Problem is that this will led me to being over leveled for the story😂

I think if they make a sequel, something that is non cannon and not restricted by the manga or anime might be the way to go.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
oh yeah, even on hard the fights in the magic arena are just like hey use guard now and thats it, thats the strat

so far the only difficulty i have is getting the damage threshold on damage tests because i didnt want to grind lol, just had to get a big enough magic chain

anyway the best part about buying this game is checking KT's twitter posts and seeing people lose their shit over the removal of panty shots

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
oh yeah, even on hard the fights in the magic arena are just like hey use guard now and thats it, thats the strat

so far the only difficulty i have is getting the damage threshold on damage tests because i didnt want to grind lol, just had to get a big enough magic chain

anyway the best part about buying this game is checking KT's twitter posts and seeing people lose their shit over the removal of panty shots

Oh come on. FT has plenty of fanservice without random panty shots lol

And if they hate it that much, just reinstall the game and disconnect the internet to avoid the patch.

Anyways, finally finished the Origami King, so will be starting this tonight! Cannot wait!

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i havent ever seen any fairy tail content either

i would make a characters i like list but so far it's erza at the very top and then everyone else

ultear also seems cool but you dont see much going on with her

maybe someday i will read or watch some of it even if it seems very very simple

also i forgot my favorite character design wise is levy, like she's awesome and i want to be her, but she is relegated to a pretty boring duty in the game

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Son of Sparda I figured out the mystery! The Stars on defense stats are stats that can be changed by awakened mode depending on the type of change. I just went Lightning-Fire Dragonslayer with Natsu and his Fire defense got boosted to drain from resist(while normal attack defense went unchanged so it's boosted by a different form). Lucy was awakened but her stats didn't change so I guess there's a different requirement that's yet to be unlocked(or some combo)
also i forgot my favorite character design wise is levy, like she's awesome and i want to be her, but she is relegated to a pretty boring duty in the game
Well good news for you then, Levy is one of the four announced paid Dlc characters(so far). No date or price though.

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
i havent ever seen any fairy tail content either

i would make a characters i like list but so far it's erza at the very top and then everyone else

ultear also seems cool but you dont see much going on with her

maybe someday i will read or watch some of it even if it seems very very simple

Erza is my goddess. I really love Natsu as well.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
@Son of Sparda I figured out the mystery! The Stars on defense stats are stats that can be changed by awakened mode depending on the type of change. I just went Lightning-Fire Dragonslayer with Natsu and his Fire defense got boosted to drain from resist(while normal attack defense went unchanged so it's boosted by a different form). Lucy was awakened but her stats didn't change so I guess there's a different requirement that's yet to be unlocked(or some combo)
Ah, that makes sense. I think the game could've done a better job explaining a little bit of these systems tbh.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just got to the games and it's kinda shocking how only like 5 or 6 non-Fairy Tail characters even have character models. Seems like a poor choice of an Arc for such an adaptation.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i for one love everyone looking off camera while a static image talks every other line

actually my favorite is when a modelless character has a fight so they arent actually in the fight and you bash some minions, and then their static image has to give a defeat speech when their invisible character is defeated

can they get gust and omega force to work together and get us a musou out of this

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i for one love everyone looking off camera while a static image talks every other line

actually my favorite is when a modelless character has a fight so they arent actually in the fight and you bash some minions, and then their static image has to give a defeat speech when their invisible character is defeated

can they get gust and omega force to work together and get us a musou out of this

So far my favourite bit was the cut to an empty room where Hisui and Arcadios are talking lol

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

This is hilarious.

I've just started Chapter 2, but I'm loving it so far. A bit of a slow start, but there's quite a few bits to explain, so it's understandable. Can't wait for it to really start branching out. I see I'm going to have quite a bit of a time trying to level everyone and just raise bonds XD

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I thought this was just Fantasy One Piece, but now time travel has come barging it's stupid way in, complete with flowcharts and all the inconsistency it normally brings. I love this game.

The whole jail breakout sequence was a glorious mess. I had absolutely no idea what anybody's motivation was or even where everybody was in relation to each other.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
My usually quiet PS4 Pro sounds like it's going to take off whenever Wendy's animations start..and just now it suddenly turned itself off..I think it overheated..Never happened before in any game.