• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
There is already a huge difference between FPS boost and not. This will have all those changes and more considering they have the headroom to turn the sliders up even more. It will be native 4k60 instead of forced 1080p and significantly lowered visual settings because it's forced into the One S profile with boost. The One X update that made it 4k increased LoD ranges significantly. It's enough of a visual and IQ difference that after switching back constantly the first two days I started replaying, I had to settle and just got use to just playing in 4k 30 without boost. It just looks like a giant smear filter at 1080p on a big TV

EDIT
If you don't care for achievements try the mod for 4k60. It seems to hold up ok.. I think 98% of the time. I tried to stress test it in the Boston area and it seemed fine. You will have to disable the fps boost and HDR as I hear those will crash you game if enabled with the mod. Might be able to leave HDR as it is. I just disabled the fps boost and not had any crashes yet. But I wonder if VRR TV is helping too with the frame rate.

In the mods section search for: Xbox Series X ultra settings

View: https://i.imgur.com/rbpb4J0.mp4

EDIT:
although now I wonder if it is 4k
cHIVPRi.png

Last edited:

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I remember people being down on this when first released.

The show has me itching to play fallout. I loved 3. Should I play 4 or NV?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I remain kinda iffy on the actual execution of the main story to this day, and I admit that at Fallout 4's initial launch, I bounced off of it. But I returned shortly after all of the DLC was released and ended up having a great and ultimately worthwhile time with the state of the game at that point, and by playing how I most enjoy playing Bethesda games: exploring wherever my curiosity pulls me, even if that means ignoring the main story entirely. Racked up 90 hours of fun playtime but never finished the story—which for me is unique among the Bethesda games that I've played. I usually eventually finish the story, but Fallout 4 is the only one I've played where I didn't finish the main story. But I still had a lot of fun with the time that I did put in.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I can't get over why Bethesda/MS are still so obsessed with making sure that the mods disable achievements. Just let people do what they want. Who cares in a single player game. Especially one as old as Fallout 4 or Skyrim.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

New Vegas, 100%.

I said it before, but I made the mistake of reinstalling FO4. It's still a bad Fallout, even with 700+ mods installed. But, if you just want a good looter shooter, it isn't bad. Meanwhile, I reinstalled New Vegas and have once again found myself addicted.

Feb 16, 2022
But this is still what Smart Delivery is and always was. Especially going from a last gen game to current gen game, it was just a patch while on PlayStation it was a separate game you had to claim on the store and then separately download.
You're not wrong, but it's still going to redownload the whole native version of the game again as per the original question. It'll just replace the previous installation as opposed to having two separate exe in PlayStation.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
New Vegas, 100%.

I said it before, but I made the mistake of reinstalling FO4. It's still a bad Fallout, even with 700+ mods installed. But, if you just want a good looter shooter, it isn't bad. Meanwhile, I reinstalled New Vegas and have once again found myself addicted.

I would like to piggy-back on this and ask if you have a happen to have a recommended core list of mods to install, forget, and enjoy NV? I've installed it and started modding many times, get overwhelmed, and move on. Completely agree with your FO4 assessment.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to piggy-back on this and ask if you have a happen to have a recommended core list of mods to install, forget, and enjoy NV? I've installed it and started modding many times, get overwhelmed, and move on. Completely agree with your FO4 assessment.
Just follow the Viva New Vegas guide.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Well the TV show and this update inspired me to replay Fallout 4 on PC. I got as far as installing it and adding some basic mods like F4SE and the over 60fps mod. Then I started to look at visual mods, and got overwhelmed very quickly. There are just so many, and they may each depend on a ton of additional mods themselves. I haven't really PC gamed since around 2016 and am feeling out of my depth. Now I'm not sure I'll go through with replaying the game after all. I hope that everyone enjoys the new update, and that it doesn't break all the mods.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
Well the TV show and this update inspired me to replay Fallout 4 on PC. I got as far as installing it and adding some basic mods like F4SE and the over 60fps mod. Then I started to look at visual mods, and got overwhelmed very quickly. There are just so many, and they may each depend on a ton of additional mods themselves. I haven't really PC gamed since around 2016 and am feeling out of my depth. Now I'm not sure I'll go through with replaying the game after all. I hope that everyone enjoys the new update, and that it doesn't break all the mods.
Check out nexus mods' collection features, that streamlines the modding process very much

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Might try this again on PS5 and see how it plays. I finished the story and multiple sidequests but don't remember spending more than 60 hours in total. I started the Automatron DLC but ultimately stopped there because my character was so OP it wasn't even funny anymore.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Wish they'd update Fallout 4 VR to add luxuries such as being able to adjust your height.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so if I buy this on PS4 (currently on sale right now), do I get the PS5 native version for free? The language used in the Bethesda article is unclear. I imagine the answer is "yes" but I want to make sure before I spend some cash on this.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Keen to give this another go. I played ~10 hours like 10 years ago now.. Just purchased and started a new save, will wait till this drops to actually play through though.

Love the Fallout setting, hopefully I love it enough to get over the Bethesda gameplay

Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded Fallout 4 again to give the update a whirl next week. It was never my favourite Fallout, but I'm on Episode 7 of the show now and fully in the mood for some wasteland.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
If you're interested in weapon mods I recommend neeher's Select weapons(plus the Lewis Gun and Chinese Pistols). All very cool guns with animations that outdo Vanilla guns pretty handily.

I'm particularly fond of the Select Revolver

Banana Ocelot

Dec 12, 2019
I'm conflicted on whether I should play the update on PS5 or Series S. I know the Series consoles have better mod support, but the image quality on PS5 will be better than on the S. Also, possible Dualsense features.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I didn't have a beef with Fallout 4, I really enjoyed the atmospheric enhancements and bits that it decided to port over from NV. What I did struggle with is that the way Bethesda games are set up seemed to be at odds with the massive focus on now how junk items are useful. You're going around the world and gathering up all this stuff for modding, base building, cooking ... all sorts of nonsense ... and it feels like you're forever going out for a bit of an explore, getting laden and having to return to empty your pockets. And this is a general complaint I have with Bethesda games at the moment, that they create these wonderful worlds that your backpack forces you to abandon consistently.

I'm not asking for an infinite pocket or anything, but it feels like they've kept the encumbrance rules from earlier TES games but completely forgot to adapt it with Skyrim and F4's focus on junk collecting. Generally, it makes either a companion or a hefty strength boost with some power armour pretty compulsory. Or simply being stunningly well organised at all times.

Dec 5, 2017
I didn't have a beef with Fallout 4, I really enjoyed the atmospheric enhancements and bits that it decided to port over from NV. What I did struggle with is that the way Bethesda games are set up seemed to be at odds with the massive focus on now how junk items are useful. You're going around the world and gathering up all this stuff for modding, base building, cooking ... all sorts of nonsense ... and it feels like you're forever going out for a bit of an explore, getting laden and having to return to empty your pockets. And this is a general complaint I have with Bethesda games at the moment, that they create these wonderful worlds that your backpack forces you to abandon consistently.

I'm not asking for an infinite pocket or anything, but it feels like they've kept the encumbrance rules from earlier TES games but completely forgot to adapt it with Skyrim and F4's focus on junk collecting. Generally, it makes either a companion or a hefty strength boost with some power armour pretty compulsory. Or simply being stunningly well organised at all times.
This is one of the better parts of Fallout 4. You learn what is truly valuable and worth collecting and what is not. You want the best salvage, and a lot of it you will pass over. Military ammo bag? Military duct tape? Amazing loot every time. Typewriter? Prime loot. Gas canisters? You better believe you want that. Screwdrivers? Hammers? Various plastic items? Junk don't bother. Aluminum cafeteria tray? Grab it. Plastic cafeteria tray? Trash not worth your time or weight.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
This is one of the better parts of Fallout 4. You learn what is truly valuable and worth collecting and what is not. You want the best salvage, and a lot of it you will pass over. Military ammo bag? Military duct tape? Amazing loot every time. Typewriter? Prime loot. Gas canisters? You better believe you want that. Screwdrivers? Hammers? Various plastic items? Junk don't bother. Aluminum cafeteria tray? Grab it. Plastic cafeteria tray? Trash not worth your time or weight.
Yeah I do agree that a lot of the encumbrance complaints are centered around picking up absolutely everything in the environment and you really really shouldn't be doing that any more than you do in real life.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

fallout.fandom.com

Ada

Ada is a robot residing in the Commonwealth in the Fallout 4 add-on Automatron. She is a possible companion of the Sole Survivor. Ada was created by Jackson as a traveling companion with his caravan, a heavily modified Assaultron with sentry bot and Protectron parts. The group specialized in...

If you have Automation DLC you can craft a robot companion with high carry capacity, making them a great pack mule. You don't have to use mods or anything.

It's been a long time but I remember using the crafting bench for advanced carry capacity for the robot (so I'm not sure of Skill requirement), but after that weight was never an issue.

I also added a mod from the in-game mod list that let you keep Dogmeat as a permanent companion, meaning you could have him +1 extra companion at all times. In this case the Ada robot mentioned above.

Then I got a mod that added a Tactical Vest for Dogmeat and that had an impressive carry capacity on top.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Aluminum cafeteria tray? Grab it.
Finding Mahkra Fishpacking was one of the single most happiest moments I had in Fallout 4. It's really funny how good of a job they did with getting players into a headspace of keeping a hopeful eye out for very specific pieces of scrap. Makes you feel like an actual survivor of the wasteland.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Never played a Fallout before but I'm watching the series currently. Went ahead and installed Fallout 4 on my Series X in anticipation of this patch.

Dec 5, 2017
Finding Mahkra Fishpacking was one of the single most happiest moments I had in Fallout 4. It's really funny how good of a job they did with getting players into a headspace of keeping a hopeful eye out for very specific pieces of scrap. Makes you feel like an actual survivor of the wasteland.
I think this is one of the biggest places Starfield dropped the ball. The loot loop in Fallout 4 was great, and then Starfield just abandoned that gameplay. They had such a well-made system that would also work for that kind of game, and they didn't use it.

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if this has already been covered but do we know anything about save transfers on PS4-PS5?

I ask because my girlfriend wanted us to play Fallout 4 together after really loving the TV show. We've started already and I'll just stick to the PS4 version if there's no save transfer but it'd be nice to know.

Slowdive

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has already been covered but do we know anything about save transfers on PS4-PS5?

I ask because my girlfriend wanted us to play Fallout 4 together after really loving the TV show. We've started already and I'll just stick to the PS4 version if there's no save transfer but it'd be nice to know.

Saw someone on the fallout Reddit say they asked Bethesda support and they said saves would carry over. I'm not starting a new game until the update though just in case lol.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
How come everyone always says Fallout: New Vegas is WAY better, yet all the sales and popularity is always massively biased towards Fallout 4? I know it's about 5 years newer but at this point both games kind of show their age. I'm looking at trying both but was originally leaning FO4 because of how it seems to be the one getting the biggest boost.

Is it another case of the hardcore gamers being biased towards a game but not actually reflecting its popularity? Kind of like how everyone on the internet loves Bloodborne but no one in real life really cares about it?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
How come everyone always says Fallout: New Vegas is WAY better, yet all the sales and popularity is always massively biased towards Fallout 4? I know it's about 5 years newer but at this point both games kind of show their age. I'm looking at trying both but was originally leaning FO4 because of how it seems to be the one getting the biggest boost.

Is it another case of the hardcore gamers being biased towards a game but not actually reflecting its popularity? Kind of like how everyone on the internet loves Bloodborne but no one in real life really cares about it?
Because popularity =/= quality.

The writing in New Vegas and the branching storylines are leagues ahead of F4 or indeed F3. I don't mind F4 for what it is, I actually prefer it to F3.

Dec 5, 2017

Do you think McDonald's makes the best burgers in the world, since they sell so many?

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Resisting the urge to start a new 4 playthrough until it comes out, really hoping my favourite mods like Sim Settlements get updated for it relatively quickly. Playing through Tales of Two Wastelands at the moment to pass the time and try to find some enjoyment in 3, and also occasionally doing a bout of building and looting in 76.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

Because most gamers are put off by "it's old and ugly", and they only want to play the latest and greatest. Except FO76, "because I heard it sucked".

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, Fallout 4 looks significantly better than New Vegas. It also has way better gunplay.

New Vegas is much better game than FO4 but FO4 is absolutely the better pick up and play game in 2024. It's very easy to quickly get into, combat feels pretty good, it's visceral, you get Power Armor immediately, it has a great crafting and modding system and even the settlement stuff is going to be very appealing to a lot players.

It's also the closest aesthetically to the TV show so if your desire is to play something that immediately puts you into mind of the show then FO4 is the best bet. Well maybe FO76 too but I haven't really spent much time with that one.