• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
How come everyone always says Fallout: New Vegas is WAY better, yet all the sales and popularity is always massively biased towards Fallout 4? I know it's about 5 years newer but at this point both games kind of show their age. I'm looking at trying both but was originally leaning FO4 because of how it seems to be the one getting the biggest boost.

Is it another case of the hardcore gamers being biased towards a game but not actually reflecting its popularity? Kind of like how everyone on the internet loves Bloodborne but no one in real life really cares about it?

Personally, I think 3 and NV could be considered the "better" games. But they feel clunkier than 4. So I play 4 the most. It doesn't feel so clunky to play, especially the shooting. That is probably one reason why its more popular.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
New Vegas crashes about once a day on my PC. I'm about to throw in the towel and wait for the Fallout 4 patch.

Ryzen 5 7600, rtx 3070, 32GB RAM @ 1440p.

It's not my PC. It's just the usual Bethesda/Fallout/Elder Scrolls buggy shit.
You've at least loaded the unofficial patches, right?

Even if you're trying to play as "vanilla" as possible, at least load those.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Yeah, there are 2 scenarios if you want to play NV:

• Spend 6 hours following something like this: Only way to play NV in 2024
  • Dont spend time on and ...dont get to play it as it will be ultra janky, ultra buggy and probably crash a lot

In comparison, Fallout 4 is not perfect...but plays pretty well in stock form.

In addition: It looks exactly like the show (visually), if I were a newcomer I would also select it out of all of the other available Fallout options.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Well I've been going back and forth on whether to buy all the F4 DLC for my PC version, and even having second thoughts on whether I want to replay the game at all. But I just finally went ahead and bought the GOTY edition on Fanatical. So that is settled I suppose. Hope to actually play it all. I'm surprised that GOTY edition only added 6.4GB of additional downloads.

Dec 5, 2017
Well I've been going back and forth on whether to buy all the F4 DLC for my PC version, and even having second thoughts on whether I want to replay the game at all. But I just finally went ahead and bought the GOTY edition on Fanatical. So that is settled I suppose. Hope to actually play it all. I'm surprised that GOTY edition only added 6.4GB of additional downloads.
The entire game with DLC (except for high-res texture DLC, which is something dumb like 70GB by itself) is only 34GB.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't get NV to load past the opening cutscene on my laptop. It just closes out automatically. I'm just going to play it on Xbox Series.

Dec 17, 2022
If you play New Vegas for a while and then jump to 76 the graphics look amazing!

They aren't stunning, but at times they are decent and you get used to them. The world density and overall atmosphere is great.

😂 I bet the visuals would look better.

I'll give it a try. Booted it up last week after finishing the Amazon show and it asked for a Bethesda sign-in, which put me off. May just make a log in and try again.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

• Dont spend time on and ...dont get to play it as it will be ultra janky, ultra buggy and probably crash a lot

In addition: It looks exactly like the show (visually), if I were a newcomer I would also select it out of all of the other available Fallout options.

Before I did Viva, I had only done like 5 mods in a single game. I did Viva in ~2 hours. It's not bad.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

it doesn't really take six hours to follow VNV. The extended modlist might take you a while if you've never done any modding before, but even that isn't likely to cost you six hours unless you fudge it up somewhere along the way. If you're just installing Base VNV for the community patches, that ish takes 2 hours or less for a newbie. I could have it done in an hour tops, probably less.

besides, you can always just use the unofficial Wabbajack all-in-one VNV installer instead... or just install the game and play without VNV, like most of the people who've ever played the game. It's not completely unplayable that way (though one should absolutely consider the unofficial patches, because the vanilla game is admittedly likely to run into bugs or crashes on most hardware configurations).

That said, I wouldn't blame anyone for just playing Fallout 4 (or 76) instead, if the idea of modding turns them off. I just don't think it's that difficult a process for anyone with more than cursory experience with using a Windows PC.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022
I have Fallout 4 on PS4, but was wondering if I should buy the DLC. Will the DLC be updated for the PS5 version or would it be like playing the PS4 version of the game? Unsure how this works if the PS4 version is getting a PS5 version, but it has DLC for the PS4.

VicRattlehead

Oct 25, 2017
Is FO76 newcomer friendly? Thinking of finally jumping into it soon once I finish up the show.

Ive just started playing (on steam deck) and all I can say is it seems insanely friendly. There is boxes everywhere people put stuff in for new players and the majority of high level people on the servers come and help with events and throw guns etc at you as presents. Don't be afraid to Join a causal team for the exp bonus

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Is FO76 newcomer friendly? Thinking of finally jumping into it soon once I finish up the show.
Yeah you'll be fine. Quests aren't particularly difficult and community is generally friendly, plus the high level players have zero benefit to killing you because it just paints a target on their back when they got nothing from you. Also you can't just kill people out of the blue. When you hit someone, it does a very tiny amount of damage and it only turns to full damage PvP if you attack back, and even then there's an option you can set were shooting back won't start the PvP and your shots do no damage to players.

Plus you can often show up at events and can still get a lot out of them even if you can't put out a whole lot of damage.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I should be waiting for the update for screenies but.. oh wells

uA27vtJ.png

VBPWkBF.png

6jPflSm.png

oUZGUbJ.png

NIbYV1i.png

Twister

Feb 11, 2019

I'm playing stock New Vegas on Steam Deck completely vanilla and so far it's been great. Admittedly, I haven't played too much of it. Is this a bad way to play it? Would I be better off playing on Xbox Series?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing stock New Vegas on Steam Deck completely vanilla and so far it's been great. Admittedly, I haven't played too much of it. Is this a bad way to play it? Would I be better off playing on Xbox Series?
Yeah, that's as good a way as any. The unofficial patches are mostly bug fixes, crash fixes, etc. Basically stabilizes the game and keeps it from blowing up in the way that old Bethesda games like to blow up.

I've been playing mostly Fallout 4 lately, just roaming about and seeing what trouble I can get into at random locations that I stumble upon. Reminds me of playing Skyrim for the first time, and being on my way to some place or another, one of the big cities. Spent like three or four hours playing and never made it there, I kept getting sidetracked. That's my favorite part of Bethesda games (and, as I've noted in other threads, it's what's sorely lacking in Starfield).

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Not being able to turn survival mode on/off more than once kind of blows. The game just wasn't designed around no fast travel because of the randomly generated quests that send you across the map for the tiniest of objectives.

But survival mode is so damn good because you get so absurdly strong and evens the odds and makes so many items actually matter. I'm basically doing everything I want to do and save all of far harbour and nuka world because they are 95% self contained so I can jump straight into the other and enjoy it while I can with the update

Last edited:

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Not being able to turn survival mode on/off more than once kind of blows. The game just wasn't designed around no fast travel because of the randomly generated quests that send you across the map for the tiniest of objectives.
If you're in good standing with the Brotherhood and/or Institute, you can still flag down a Vertibird with a signal grenade and get a quick ride to any map marker, or teleport to the Institute and then back out to the ruins above, which is handily around the middle of the map (close to Hangman's Alley!).

Neither are as effective as regular fast travel, of course, but the options are there.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
Should I even both with mods for Fallout 4 right now? Will the upcoming patch/update just break everything?

Oct 27, 2017
Should I even both with mods for Fallout 4 right now? Will the upcoming patch/update just break everything?

I just bought Fallout 4 GOTY and going to wait to mod / play it until after the update. I wanna see what works and what breaks, and if modders can come up with updates. I'll most likely wait a week or 2 after the patch.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Generally most stuff that doesn't require FO4 Script Extender should be fine, but if that worries you you can always just save your update until the mods you want to use are working again.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of course I redownload the game because of the show only to have the game crash seconds into booting up. Literally can't even get to the main menu lol ahh this is the Bethesda I know and love

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
So basically this does nothing for PC but break the shit out of a bunch of mods. Sigh.. no point in starting a new modded run yet.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
I hope this upgrade will bring the FOV to the consoles (not the mode one). Otherwise it will be very painful to play.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I've had FO4 reinstalled on my Series X for a couple days now and it's very difficult to resist jumping in prior to the 25th.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I've had FO4 reinstalled on my Series X for a couple days now and it's very difficult to resist jumping in prior to the 25th.
Honestly there isnt gonna be a huge diff between the update and if you just enable those mods that toggle 60 fps and stuff while retaining 4K resolution. Unless you REALLY care about achievements