• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
You can't do that on PC. If you try to change to another difficulty it tells you that you can not go back to survival. Is that different on console?
It's not, but there's a mod that lets you switch between normal/survival whenever you want.

www.nexusmods.com

Unlimited Survival Mode - F4SE

This is a F4SE plugin which restores some hard-coded features disabled by game in survival mode,for example,unlock console,enable TGM,enable fast travel,restore vanilla compass settings,enalbe quick s

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
z340Dgj.gif

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I think if history has shown us anything when it comes to these kinds of updates from Bethesda on PC, it's always the most bare minimum effort , so I pretty much just expect it to be the reason London isn't launching this week and not much else.

Ah, that's a little harsh. Pretty cool to be getting any update for a 9 year old game.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I'm really wondering what exactly this is going to entail. I know they've said there's going to be the kind of standardized "Performance" and "Quality" modes, 60 fps and "increased resolutions", and stability improvements/fixes.

So it's probably not going to be much more than something like dynamic res targeting 60 frames and higher dynamic res (pushing to 4K?) at a hopefully stable 30 frames?

I'm replaying the game for the first time since launch after not really playing it at all to begin with and I've been somewhat pleasantly impressed by how the vanilla game looks and runs on the XSX. Would like to see the ability to alter the FoV with this though, as that does feel a bit too constricting by default. And I'd love if they improved the game graphically beyond just increasing resolution and frames, but it kind of seems like that's not in the cards for this. Stuff like improved effects, HDR, better AA, improved textures, etc.. (I know they had some high res texture pack released years ago, not sure about HDR support)

Since these are going to be native apps for the new consoles, I wonder if it means more improved loads too. So far on XSX, the loads have been very short as it is, but if these versions essentially eliminate them entirely then that's another plus.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's not, but there's a mod that lets you switch between normal/survival whenever you want.

www.nexusmods.com

Unlimited Survival Mode - F4SE

This is a F4SE plugin which restores some hard-coded features disabled by game in survival mode,for example,unlock console,enable TGM,enable fast travel,restore vanilla compass settings,enalbe quick s

Damn. No one ported this to xbox

Edit scratch that, it's is!!! Why on earth searching for something called unlimited survival mode using those exact terms puts that result on page 2 essentially is beyond understanding

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
I am sorry for asking this but wasnt the upgrade supposed to come out today? I am in europe btw.

Thanks

Ramen Noodles

Apr 2, 2024
I am sorry for asking this but wasnt the upgrade supposed to come out today? I am in europe btw.

Thanks
North America: 9am PDT / 10am MDT / 11am CDT / 12pm EDT
UK/Ire: 5pm BST
Europe: 6pm CEST / 7pm EEST
Asia/Oceania: 1am JST / 12am AWST / 2am AEST

If your PC can already max it, basically just the free creation club content outside of official widescreen support
Meh. Thought it would have more graphics related upgrades but I guess not.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
Am a dense or is there literally no videos showing what this upgrade looks like?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Even if you're new to the game? Or would you recommend playing normally first then on survival down the road?

Absolutely do not start on a new game unless you are a glutton for punishment or LOVE that sort of friction in your games. Survival mode makes everything do 4x damage to you which means replaying and reloading alot, on top of the game design throwing quest markers, especially the unlimited generated ones that tend to pick "dungeons" you haven't been to yet, half way across the map make the no fast travel maddening and basically adding a dozen hours to your playthrough of an already giant game just running around.

I highly recommend turning it on late game when you have some great weapons and armor and before you start the 2 main DLC, which are both smaller self contained areas and thus no fast travel feels fine. You can get absurdly strong that even very hard feels like a cakewalk so survival evens it a little bit on top of making the dozens and dozens of food and drinks in the game actually matter on top of the other wrinkles.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
It's not out yet and we only have a blog post basically showing creation club items they are adding. So you aren't dense. It's PC on max for console, this isn't going to be a remaster
That alone actually means that it is improved from the old console versions. I don't mean just resolution, but you said PC maximum settings so we expect to see improvement in textures, draw distance etc..

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's the surprise element, either it will be a very good effort or minimum effort to capitalize on the show's popularity.

If it's minimal, it's because of the size of the team working on it and nothing to do with the show. The update was announced over a year ago now and planned to release months before the show aired, last year.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
That alone actually means that it is improved from the old console versions. I don't mean just resolution, but you said PC maximum settings so we expect to see improvement in textures, draw distance etc..
Don't expect better textures. The 4k release on PC is an unoptimized barely noticeable mess. Luckily, console players have had mods for draw distance and other high PC settings for years. Now it's all official.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't actually realise this was coming and started the game on game pass last night lol, not because of the TV show which I have no interest in, just felt like it.
It crashed to desktop twice in a row running to the vault at the start though, don't really want to get into a long game if that's going to be a regular thing

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I didn't actually realise this was coming and started the game on game pass last night lol, not because of the TV show which I have no interest in, just felt like it.
It crashed to desktop twice in a row running to the vault at the start though, don't really want to get into a long game if that's going to be a regular thing

TV show is really good, watch a couple of episodes to check if it's your thing.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Those crashes would probably be fixed by disabling "weapon debris" in the launcher. It is some kind of bug relating to what GPU you have. It happened to me, too.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I shouldn't have downloaded the PS4 version and should've just waited to download the PS5 one? I thought it was going to be an actual patch you downloaded.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
So I shouldn't have downloaded the PS4 version and should've just waited to download the PS5 one? I thought it was going to be an actual patch you downloaded.

The PS4 version is going to receive a patch, but there is also a Native PS5 version coming today with even more improvements like Performance Mode and Quality Mode settings.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
AH nuts, so not a big deal at all on PC?

Time to move it back to the Cold Storage folder on steam.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I saw Fallout 4 now has the "X/S" mark on the games list, but not in my own library, and briefly booting it up seemed to show that it was still running the XBO code (could toggle FPS Boost on and off).

Makes sense that it would be later today.