Performance - visual toggle has appeared too
BxMmu8d.png

EDIT
yee VATS still has issues
That Boston area seems to run better

Last edited:

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
32MB patch dropped on PC as well. No idea what it does other than breaking F4SE.
At this point it seems like that was precisely the point of the update. And just as I got used to the game running at 165fps on PC, it's back to 45... Waiting for an update to F4SE. Fucking Bethesda.

Edit: Weapon debris still crashes the game. Great job.

Last edited:

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Didn't get home soon enough to change my steam settings to only update on launch, and forgot to do it last night. So I guess it's back to modless/fast loading I go :/

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have HD textures installed on my steamdeck and didn't get the 13gb patch. Is that required? Not really seeing any difference and the game's map is still broken on resolutions lower that 720p. =/

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have HD textures installed on my steamdeck and didn't get the 13gb patch. Is that required? Not really seeing any difference and the game's map is still broken on resolutions lower that 720p. =/

Just as an FYI, don't use the official HD textures. They're poor quality and poorly optimized.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good update, being able to target 60fps regardless of graphics mode is great. Even prioritizing graphics the game seems to be near or locked on 60 most of the time and when it dips, VRR is there to handle it.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good update, being able to target 60fps regardless of graphics mode is great. Even prioritizing graphics the game seems to be near or locked on 60 most of the time and when it dips, VRR is there to handle it.

yep.. for those with VRR capable displays, this seems to be the way to play. I'm getting great performance and IQ on PS5

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom

Yeah, they caused all sorts of visual issues on my end and it was a fairly sizeable download for something that made the game actively look worse. Just avoid the HD texture add-on.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

It always will unless you have a Nvidia 1000 series card, which is the only model that supports that setting. The least they could do is make it unavailable based on your GPU, or at the very least put a note next to the setting ("only for Nvidia 1000 series GPU's").

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
At this point it seems like that was precisely the point of the update. And just as I got used to the game running at 165fps on PC, it's back to 45... Waiting for an update to F4SE. Fucking Bethesda.

Doesn't running Fallout 4 above 60 fps breaks the game? Like physics and line deliveries. I played it with 144 fps and everything was out of sync.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Doesn't running Fallout 4 above 60 fps breaks the game? Like physics and line deliveries. I played it with 144 fps and everything was out of sync.

There is a mod to fix it.

I've been playing Fallout New Vegas at 120FPS just fine, which was also locked to 60 by default.

www.nexusmods.com

High FPS Physics Fix

Untie the game speed from the framerate. Fixes physical bugs. Reduces loading time.Now there is a separate version for VR.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So, I dropped the Heavy Armor that you got early in the game because I wanted to roam the Wasteland without it. Now I'm thinking it was a mistake? I'm dying A LOT. But it just felt wrong to get it so soon. What would be its limitations?

Fulcrum

Nov 7, 2022
It always will unless you have a Nvidia 1000 series card, which is the only model that supports that setting. The least they could do is make it unavailable based on your GPU, or at the very least put a note next to the setting ("only for Nvidia 1000 series GPU's").

It defaulted to off for me, so I'm guessing people are manually turning it on. Therefore, your recommendation to add a note is sound.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
My current mod-list, keeping it light with not a lot of mods.
Series X. Seems to run pretty well, well within VRR's range, at Prefer Visuals @ 60 FPS.

WI7lNh1.png

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
32MB patch dropped on PC as well. No idea what it does other than breaking F4SE.

Thought this was on-point:

kotaku.com

Fallout 4 Fans Are Begging Bethesda To Stop Updating The Game

The open-world RPG received a new patch today, to fix the last one, but problems still persist

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was on-point:

kotaku.com

Fallout 4 Fans Are Begging Bethesda To Stop Updating The Game

The open-world RPG received a new patch today, to fix the last one, but problems still persist

I wish they would update the game to fix issues for people who dont really mod. Would be nice if there were just two versions of the game, kind of like where some games have a public test build. One where you could just mod away and it didn't get updated and another where it was an unmodded experience that's updated as needed.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
There is a mod to fix it.

I've been playing Fallout New Vegas at 120FPS just fine, which was also locked to 60 by default.

www.nexusmods.com

High FPS Physics Fix

Untie the game speed from the framerate. Fixes physical bugs. Reduces loading time.Now there is a separate version for VR.
No downside to using this? If so, why can't Bethesda patch in official support? I believe even Skyrim had wacky issues past 60 fps.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Goddamn, one thing my current modded playthrough of FO4 has reminded me of, is how much Bethesda's modders need more Jesus in their life lol.

I've been looking around for clothing mods because I'd like the settlers and stuff to look a little less raggedy and a little more varied. Hell, I don't even mind making everyone a little "cleaner" and "prettier" - but it's like these modders have no restraint whatsoever.

I'm fine with a little bit of cleavage on some outfits or whatever, but the images for all of these mods are characters with triple-Z monster airbag tits, ass implants, and almost comically wide hips with tiny waists. It's like finding a needle in a haystack to get the mods that are more restrained with the tits and ass.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this is the last update - steam decided to randomly update Fallout 4 despite me unscheduling the update multiple times, and now F4SE is still broken >_<.

So, I dropped the Heavy Armor that you got early in the game because I wanted to roam the Wasteland without it. Now I'm thinking it was a mistake? I'm dying A LOT. But it just felt wrong to get it so soon. What would be its limitations?

The power armor has limited uses via fusion cores (you can still walk in it, but can't use VATS or run, iirc), though they're somewhat readily re-fillable via exploration of larger stores/buildings.

You also will have trouble with some stairs/buildings because the power armor is too big, lol.

Otherwise....If you're using the vault suit or any other 'underarmor' base, you really want to look into armor crafting in the strength tree, for various types of 'over-armor' that you can wear on top of the vault suit (mostly leather, to start), or find some 'actual' armor from raiders or what have you.

There's definitely less 'mainline' armor than, say, FO3 or NV, because the devs want you to engage with the under/over-armor system more.

And a lot of the 'legendary' pieces with affixes you find are often over-armor pieces with bonuses to stats and the like.

Goddamn, one thing my current modded playthrough of FO4 has reminded me of, is how much Bethesda's modders need more Jesus in their life lol.

I've been looking around for clothing mods because I'd like the settlers and stuff to look a little less raggedy and a little more varied. Hell, I don't even mind making everyone a little "cleaner" and "prettier" - but it's like these modders have no restraint whatsoever.

I'm fine with a little bit of cleavage on some outfits or whatever, but the images for all of these mods are characters with triple-Z monster airbag tits, ass implants, and almost comically wide hips with tiny waists. It's like finding a needle in a haystack to get the mods that are more restrained with the tits and ass.

Elionora's clothing is pretty restrained, iirc.

There's also one or two other 'wasteland clothing'/settler clothing-esque named mods that are okay-ish.

But yeah, the progression of...'horny' clothing definitely shot WAY up with Fallout 4, compared to skyrim, thanks to the graphical uplift.

Kyberpunk

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this is the last update - steam decided to randomly update Fallout 4 despite me unscheduling the update multiple times, and now F4SE is still broken >_<.

Latest F4SE from Nexus Mods works for me, had to disable the high FPS fix mod for the time being though so back to long load times whenever I go outside :(

Oct 27, 2017
The power armor suit? Yeah that uses fusion cores as a battery and you probably used about 5% of its capacity just doing the Deathclaw fight. Fusion cores are not rechargeable/craftable and they're a pretty uncommon item throughout the game so power armor is really meant to be used sparingly. If you know you're about to enter a rough dungeon, then maybe do it with power armor. You can stretch the battery life longer by not using VATS, sprinting, or carrying so much stuff that you're overencumbered.

Also, you can quickly improve your normal armor as long as you get into the crafting and scavenging of any special pieces you find on raiders. The loot in this game gets pretty deep with the crafting system and it will probably influence which perks you dump points into.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
No downside to using this? If so, why can't Bethesda patch in official support? I believe even Skyrim had wacky issues past 60 fps.

I think the odd bug can still happen, I saw a bug report that sometimes bodies can fly in weird directions, but these could be new bugs due to the new patch.

In Skyrim you can't get past the intro cutscene if you're past 60FPS. The physics break and the cart goes out of control. There's a mod to get that past 60FPS as well. I don't see any active bugs listed on Nexus, so it seems like it should be perfectly fine.

www.nexusmods.com

SSE Display Tweaks

All-in-one solution for smooth FPS-unlocked gameplay. Includes a physics fix, borderless fullscreen performance boost, refresh rate control, highly configurable frame rate limiting, various bugfixes a

So far in Fallout New Vegas sometimes the physics goes a bit whacked when I move something, but from what I remember that was a bug in the base game as well. I've actually only had like 1 crash in 40 hours of playing New Vegas with some minor mods.

As far as to why Bethesda doesn't fix the issues. Probably not important enough for management to allocate QA time on it? They figure time is best spent elsewhere, somewhere that can make some money.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember which mod I'm using in Skyrim, but it works fine above 60fps. It does still cause some animation issues above 100fps, so I have it capped there. With all the graphical mods I'm running, that's really only a problem in interior spaces, dungeons and the like. Outside in the open world it's usually in the 60s and 70s.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017

Loaded it up the other day to see "realistic bodies" as one of the top mods with 3.3 million downloads and its double G tits and ass with no waist.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The power armor has limited uses via fusion cores (you can still walk in it, but can't use VATS or run, iirc), though they're somewhat readily re-fillable via exploration of larger stores/buildings.

You also will have trouble with some stairs/buildings because the power armor is too big, lol.

Otherwise....If you're using the vault suit or any other 'underarmor' base, you really want to look into armor crafting in the strength tree, for various types of 'over-armor' that you can wear on top of the vault suit (mostly leather, to start), or find some 'actual' armor from raiders or what have you.

There's definitely less 'mainline' armor than, say, FO3 or NV, because the devs want you to engage with the under/over-armor system more.

And a lot of the 'legendary' pieces with affixes you find are often over-armor pieces with bonuses to stats and the like.

The power armor suit? Yeah that uses fusion cores as a battery and you probably used about 5% of its capacity just doing the Deathclaw fight. Fusion cores are not rechargeable/craftable and they're a pretty uncommon item throughout the game so power armor is really meant to be used sparingly. If you know you're about to enter a rough dungeon, then maybe do it with power armor. You can stretch the battery life longer by not using VATS, sprinting, or carrying so much stuff that you're overencumbered.

Also, you can quickly improve your normal armor as long as you get into the crafting and scavenging of any special pieces you find on raiders. The loot in this game gets pretty deep with the crafting system and it will probably influence which perks you dump points into.

Man, I have no idea how armor works in this game. One of the words I would use to describe Fallout 4 so far is "unintuitive". The inventory is full of stuff that I don't know. I only recently realized I had SEVEN shotguns and that's why I was encumbered. Then I threw 6 of them away but it didn't matter becuase I was soon encumbered *again*.

And then armor, I have a list of a bunch of stuff, dozen of them. I guess I can use individual parts in my legs, arms, torso and head. But then there are parts that go over everything? And it's hard to compare or even tell what stuff I have equiped.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019

Check out the Resident Evil 2/3 section.

Just thinking now what the Stellar Blade mods will be if/when it comes to the PC, sweet jeebus

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I have no idea how armor works in this game. One of the words I would use to describe Fallout 4 so far is "unintuitive". The inventory is full of stuff that I don't know. I only recently realized I had SEVEN shotguns and that's why I was encumbered. Then I threw 6 of them away but it didn't matter becuase I was soon encumbered *again*.

You're going to eventually have to either mod your carry weight, or start planning on making 'return to your base' trips to dump off scavenged weapons/gear/junk, yeah - that, and/or pick up a lot less stuff from enemies.

Eventually the game pretty much wants you to either set up a homebase inside one of the game's 4 or so 'major' friendly cities/hubs, or engage with the settlement system (you will want charisma up to 6 for the local leader perk) enough to unlock vendors in your settlements.

Though, on the weight front, eventually you can get a perk that lets you break down weapons (and I think armor) in the intelligence tree, which can be useful for crafting weapon mods or armor mods.

.....Somewhat relatedly, your starting encumbrance, compared to FO3/NV, is somewhat lower (due to Fallout 4's theoretically infinite leveling process) - you can give companions items to hold/store (up to a limit), or invest in the strength tree, both in general (each point in str is like 10 more weight, I think?), or at least enough to unlock the strong back perk, which has various ways of increasing your weight limit, letting you fast travel (or sprint) when encumbered, which is nice.

Some of the charisma perks can also increase your companion's carry weight total, as well.

And then armor, I have a list of a bunch of stuff, dozen of them. I guess I can use individual parts in my legs, arms, torso and head. But then there are parts that go over everything? And it's hard to compare or even tell what stuff I have equiped.

It's not.....super-intuitive, but IIRC if the 'armor' shows a flashing part of only the arm/leg/chest, then it only applies to that area, and is (almost always) an 'over-armor' piece.

Meanwhile, the 'whole body' flash means it's either an undersuit (which you can wear the armor pieces on top of) like the vault suit, or a separate piece of armor that isn't compatible with the overarmor/underarmor system.

I can't remember off-hand how vanilla shows you the 'comparison' between armor pieces when browsing through your list - but at the very least, you should be able to see your overall armor rating for physical damage somewhere on the pipboy screen - it changes when you equip new/different pieces.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
As usual, there is a mod fixing that too. Not that it's that big a deal, it's just the game crashed on me yesterday when F4SE stopped working due to the patch, and I'd forgotten to disable the setting.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
You're going to eventually have to either mod your carry weight, or start planning on making 'return to your base' trips to dump off scavenged weapons/gear/junk, yeah - that, and/or pick up a lot less stuff from enemies.

Eventually the game pretty much wants you to either set up a homebase inside one of the game's 4 or so 'major' friendly cities/hubs, or engage with the settlement system (you will want charisma up to 6 for the local leader perk) enough to unlock vendors in your settlements.

Though, on the weight front, eventually you can get a perk that lets you break down weapons (and I think armor) in the intelligence tree, which can be useful for crafting weapon mods or armor mods.

.....Somewhat relatedly, your starting encumbrance, compared to FO3/NV, is somewhat lower (due to Fallout 4's theoretically infinite leveling process) - you can give companions items to hold/store (up to a limit), or invest in the strength tree, both in general (each point in str is like 10 more weight, I think?), or at least enough to unlock the strong back perk, which has various ways of increasing your weight limit, letting you fast travel (or sprint) when encumbered, which is nice.

Some of the charisma perks can also increase your companion's carry weight total, as well.

It's not.....super-intuitive, but IIRC if the 'armor' shows a flashing part of only the arm/leg/chest, then it only applies to that area, and is (almost always) an 'over-armor' piece.

Meanwhile, the 'whole body' flash means it's either an undersuit (which you can wear the armor pieces on top of) like the vault suit, or a separate piece of armor that isn't compatible with the overarmor/underarmor system.

I can't remember off-hand how vanilla shows you the 'comparison' between armor pieces when browsing through your list - but at the very least, you should be able to see your overall armor rating for physical damage somewhere on the pipboy screen - it changes when you equip new/different pieces.
You can technically always break down weapons and armor. Scrapper just gives you better returns when you have it.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Want some hints for a more streamlined loop? You may be over-complicating things, expecting other RPGs behavior out of F4.

1. You only need one set of armor and 3-5 weapons at most. That means that every time you kill enemies, you search them, and 90% of the time you will skip taking most of their loot. You will concentrate on getting ammo, stimpacks, etc.
  2. IF, you find a better weapon or armor, GET IT, then return to your base (wherever it is) and upgrade the new weapon / destroy the old weapons to get materials from them (or just collect them for later and keep them in your infinite weight box/workshop).
  3. Invest points when you level up into Weapons and Armor upgrades, that way you can IMPROVE your weapons and armor, dramatically. The progression is extremely simple compared to other RPGs, leather is better for energy, metal is better for impact, both can upgraded, etc.
  4. Power Armor consumes cores, but if you have 10 in intelligence (very doable in the first 10 levels), you can invest into 25%, 50%, and then 100% less usage. Just make sure you are not sprinting with it or jumping around etc. Use it like you would in real life, recon the place, if it looks complicated, return with the Power Armor (a walking tank), else, just go by yourself with your regular armor. After 15 hours or so you will be swimming with 25 power cores in reserve, even reaching 100 later on. Using the PA all the time.

At the end of the day, you only need to carry what you need, not everything the game throws at you. You can "tag" specific materials you need in the workshop/armor stand/power armor stand/etc. The loot and random items in the world will start showing a "magnifying glass", which will allow you to skip everything else and focus on the items in the world that show that icon. Easy.

Last: If your armor "hides" the other pieces, then it means you removed those pieces because that armor is not compatible with pieces and its just a single unit. Example: vault suit and army fatigues, can be used with other pieces on top. Other armors will just be a single entity you cannot add things on top of.

Just as an FYI, don't use the official HD textures. They're poor quality and poorly optimized.

I have a different opinion here (which will depend on your system).

I would have agreed, back in 2015 or so, but now in 2024, they work flawlessly in modern systems and look amazing. They are the -real deal-. All other modded textures (which, to be fair, are much better in the compression department) look different than the original asset.

I'm playing on an OLED, 65 inch at, lets say uber-ultra settings and only the official HD textures make the game look as it should. Regular textures look blurry at this resolution/size, and modded ones are just...different.

Last edited: