• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Hackers Attacked The "Fallout 76" Servers Taking Player's Inventory

via Reddit said:
As many of you might know, a recent hack has been developed for Fallout 76 on PC that gives hackers the ability to steal items out of your inventory. Your caps, scrip, access to various locations and stash box/scrap box items are safe. Your weapons and armor, and any other inventory items are not safe.

Edit to add: this is unrelated to person-to-person trading, which is safe. The stealing is done through a "remote" hack, which merely requires the hacker to be in your vicinity (within render distance).

Since there is no way of knowing what player is using the hack, the only way to avoid it, is to not play on a public server. If you or friends of yours have a Fallout 1st subscription, you might want to stick to playing on a private server for a while. If you do play on a public server, it might be beneficial to store your best weapons and armor. (Or maybe switch to that lower level character you've got lined up and don't really care about that much yet.)

Shortly after the post went live, another contributor noted that Bethesda's own customer support has been alerting people they are unable to restore lost items.

Bethesda responds:

Hi everyone,

We are investigating reports of a PC-only exploit that could be abused by cheaters, which may have resulted in a few players losing items that their characters had equipped. We have been actively working toward a solution for this and have a fix that we are currently evaluating for release today.

While we've determined that only a small number of characters have been negatively affected, we are taking this very seriously and resolving this is currently our top priority.

We would like to apologize to those of you who were impacted by this exploit. We want to make this right, and we are currently looking into ways we may be able to compensate you. If you believe you have been affected, please let us know by submitting a ticket to our Customer Support team.

As mentioned above, this issue only affects PC, and we are currently planning to bring the PC version of the game offline today to release a fix. We will let you know as soon as we are ready to begin maintenance.

Thank you very much.

Here's a montage of a hacker stealing 531 users' items:

Apparently it also steals the player's Pip Boy as the game considers it an equipable item. Are you able to pick up new ones in FO76 or is it like the other FOs?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I almost feel bad for the people invested trying to make the most of the game. Bethesda seems to really like testing how much they can screw people over with shoddy products. I will definitely never support them.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if a good lawyer in insurance could sue Bethesda for that. I doubt but maybe the license agreement has as many flaws than the game.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad the specific issue has seemingly been patched. The engineering that allows this (present tense) to happen at all shows a hostile level of incompetence.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
What's up with threads about this game? The hostility is ridiculous.

edit: Since it wasn't clear, I'm talking about hostility towards players of the game, like " Anyone still playing this deserves this lol "

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This game is more real life than I thought, kinda adds to the realism and simulation aspect, lol.

Would be dope if they have to manually find you to steal.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I find it fascinating they keep propping this game up and going deeper into the pit of microtransactions and subscriptions while the game's code is still basically swiss cheese.

Must be stressful playing this game and even more stressful developing it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
For the people saying it's not a big deal because they fixed it, the fact that it happened in the first place is the problem. Because they took a single player, effectively open source game, and slapped a multiplayer mode onto it, started selling items, and then just hopes that everything will be okay.

This "fix" is temporary at best. The next one will probably be worse. And the one after that. And the one after that.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is extremely hostile:
This stuff has been going on since day 1. If youre still playing and paying/supporting these devs you deserve the output they give you. Idk why thats hostile.

For the people saying it's not a big deal because they fixed it, the fact that it happened in the first place is the problem. Because they took a single player, effectively open source game, and slapped a multiplayer mode onto it, started selling items, and then just hopes that everything will be okay.

This "fix" is temporary at best. The next one will probably be worse. And the one after that. And the one after that.
This. Were just going to get more of these kinds of glitches.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The hate boner people have for this game never ends.

Fuck anyone hacking this game. That's where the hostility should be directed.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You deserve to have stuff stolen from you for playing a game; but totally not hostile.
Only the players choosing to play a game that they know has had these issues since launch can be effected by this. If they want to keep playing and paying bethesda for the opportunity to get robbed by all means. But don't expect anyone to think they aren't getting what they signed up for. It isn't hostility, its apathy.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I'm not a fan of hyperbole, but this game is an unmitigated disaster.

I am surprised that they have yet to pull the plug.

Aug 12, 2019
Can we go one week without another disaster in this game? Is that too much to ask?

Did Bethesda spend any time and effort actually making this game at all?

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
00a.jpg

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
well uh hey people still care enough to hack it

after some waffling i uninstalled it last night. imo it was an okay game, on one hand a lot of the outrage is played up, on the other the online infrastructure wasn't planned well at all. the mere concept of an gamebryo/creation/whatever online game alone poses all kinds of nightmares

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
What's up with threads about this game? The hostility is ridiculous.

This is newsworthy and an ongoing set of issues with a live-service game. The annoyance from audiences is because the game's slap-dash development has made these issues possible (and persistent). People obviously would want to understand threats to their experience, including losing real-world purchases. If you can only parse that as hostility, maybe think about it for a little but.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Fuck anyone hacking this game. That's where the hostility should be directed.

I agree, but I think it's fair game to question Bethesda's code. They're a AAA developer. Surely they must have seen this coming with no anti-cheat in place and most of the code on the client side.