• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Power armor mods being exclusive to their own sets, adding on to the plan/recipe management nightmare is ridiculous.

I got to lvl50 and was finally able to equip my ultracite Boss armor that looks great, but I have zero options for. Meanwhile, I could build the x-01 and be good to go with options after checking the enclave vendor almost every day.

My question is, is there any meaningful.differnece between the prototype and regular X-01?

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
Man got the healing factor mutation after collecting water from a river, but i'm on lvl 24 and my leveling speed is as slow as a snail so it gonna be awhile before I lock it in.

I have no clue how people level so fast.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
So hows the game running on the Pro after the patch? The game is 52% off and i might buy it but if the performance is the same and still riddled with bugs i'll pass.

SgtWiggles

Oct 25, 2017
This game feels much more fun and fair now that I started carrying around a Super Sledge with me 24/7. I'm on a Perception/Agility/Luck Rifle and VATs build, but beating the shit out of things in my power armor feels way more consistent damage wise, especially since I found a Variant that has Electric Damage built in. Also now that I'm starting to get the really good Luck skills and have Mysterious Stranger along with the various crit bar skills kicking in fairly often.

Kind of regretting my rifle based build a bit now. Its really fun and does a lot of damage especially now that I have some Handmades and a good Hunting Rifle (And will do more once I finish it off in my late 30's/40's), but I also feel like I locked myself out of almost all the crafting side and most of the melee/close range side of the game because of how the stupid skill card system works and the fact my build wont be 100% complete till like the 60's/70s depending on luck. (Like the fact its given me 3 duplicates of a skill I already had maxed at level 3 prior, and the majority of pack cards I'm getting are in my trees that have 1 point or are totally useless to me).

Luckily I have pretty much given up on having a perfect build and am just in it for the fun/the eventual platinum trophy. I just had to vent over how much I hate the skill system, especially for the trees/builds that have most of their good cards in the 30s-40s while most of the lower stuff is throwaway/replaced. I really wish you could just sit on the level up points and actually use them at the level for the skill you want. As opposed to trying to having those weird levels where you don't really have anything to spend it on.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
It's really annoying how you can accidentally hit someone's C.A.M.P. and get wanted which you can't remove except by being killed. I was running around and saw a bunch of monsters attacking someone's C.A.M.P. so I thought I would help so I pulled out my shotgun and started shooting at them but the spread hit one of his C.A.M.P. items and all his turrets started shooting at me and I got wanted status.

I can see an easy way to game that, by hiding items from a C.A.M.P. somewhere enemies spawn that people frequent for events or something and then just sitting outside to pick off people who accidentally become wanted.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Sorry, brain dump incoming.

For much of the early game, your best bet for a sniper rifle (or even just a normal rifle) is to pick up or craft a hunting rifle and mod it. It takes .308 ammo, so hoard as much as you can of that. That said, pipe weapons are cheap and plentiful, and can get you through early game stuff just fine. They stop being effective around level 20 enemies, though; you can still murder stuff but it takes forever and uses up ammo like nothing.

Inventory space will be a constant concern, especially with your stash also having a limit. This Reddit guide will help. It sounds like you're on console, so unfortunately you can't install the interface mod that shows how much weight stacks of items and item categories take up. But from my experience, it's aid items that take up the most space, which is both unexpected and shocking. People tend to cut down on weapons and armor first, which makes sense because they're the biggest individual items; once you've optimized your gear, though, aid is where you should look to cut next. Oh, and junk. Always scrap junk when you can.

Camp building, weapon and armor plans aren't automatically learned when you pick them up. You have to read them. And make sure you do, because each one takes up 0.25wt for some bizarre reason. It's just a bunch of sheets. Why do they weigh so much. Dear god. Read all plans ASAP. I don't think you can do much with duplicate plans besides trade them to other players (I've certainly never been able to sell them at vendors) so feel free to drop duplicates of stuff you don't think will be attractive to others. I doubt anyone's jonesing for that l33t patio table plan for their camp.

Workshops are less useful than a few weeks ago, but are still worth looking into. Often you'll hop onto a server and no one will be using them, so you might as well. Workshops come with their own supply of materials, so it shouldn't cost you anything out of your own pocket to build resource collectors, defenses and workbenches at a workshop; just be mindful of the build cost display. If the ingredients show up as green, you're using workshop materials; if they show up as white, it's taking from your supply. Gears tend to be the thing that runs out at a workshop first, so be mindful. Oh, and resist the temptation to camp out at your workshop all the time. It's an easy thing to do and I think it's somewhat counterproductive to having fun and exploring. Just build some collectors, power them up, toss a turret or two somewhere elevated, then wander off and collect stuff when you feel like it. (Lock your collectors if you really care about the materials within, but feel free not to bother if you don't care as much about other people taking stuff while you're not there.)

You can always fast travel to your CAMP, any workshops you occupy, and Vault 76 for free.

If you happen upon someone else's camp, feel free to use the stash box there if you don't have to bust any door locks to get at it. Stash boxes always connect to your stash, no matter who built them. (I'll leave it to you to decide on a case-by-case basis whether it's creepy to be using someone else's CAMP stuff or not.)

Excellent post! Very informative and helpful, thanks a lot. I will certainly be referencing back to this during my play through.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I can not play at all anymore because the game boots me off the server in the 5 minutes after logging in consistently.

The only help the support gave me was trying to turn off ipv6 support in my router settings, as if that would be a good idea.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
I can not play at all anymore because the game boots me off the server in the 5 minutes after logging in consistently.

The only help the support gave me was trying to turn off ipv6 support in my router settings, as if that would be a good idea.

Are you severely over the weight limit in your inventory or high level or something like that?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Getting Mods for your X-01 is super annoying. Hours of Server hopping and still nothing.

That's me and T-51B. Got the motion assist and that's the only one I've gotten that's useful after a couple hours of server hop. May try the raider vendor as I think they have some too. Broke up the rhythm and did some mutation farming and now have healing factor locked.

MistaPropella

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That's me and T-51B. Got the motion assist and that's the only one I've gotten that's useful after a couple hours of server hop. May try the raider vendor as I think they have some too. Broke up the rhythm and did some mutation farming and now have healing factor locked.
I need Calibrated Shocks, they are so damn rare. Don't know how Bethesda thought it was a good Idea to make mods so rare. I mean if you wouldn't server hop to find them, just wait until the vendor gets new stuff, you would have to wait for weeks.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I need Calibrated Shocks, they are so damn rare. Don't know how Bethesda thought it was a good Idea to make mods so rare. I mean if you wouldn't server hop to find them, just wait until the vendor gets new stuff, you would have to wait for weeks.

It's just one of the many half assed systems in place that need at least 2 quality of life passes before it's acceptable. Reducing mods to not only be armor specific but add RNG on top of it is terrible.

Basic things as not knowing which recipes you already have, and them taking up weight while having very good cap value and yet being unsellable should be their priority but they are struggling enough making the game playable for any meaningful stretch of time much less focus on things players need.

whooter

Oct 27, 2017
Are you severely over the weight limit in your inventory or high level or something like that?

I was trying to play this morning, and I logged in to my Stash being 46lbs overweight, when I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that when I logged out last night.

I got kicked out three times before I had to leave for work, trying to go thru the Stash and remove stuff to try and get the weight down...

Hopefully I can figure out what the deal is later on today...

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I'm at the top of the world quests part of the main story and there's always level 60-100 characters around me which levels up so many of the enemies around me making it tough for this low level 35.

This server level scaling thing is awful now.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Five things:
1. The Christmas Emote bundle only gives you Christmas themed emote icons. The emote animations are the same as the regular ones. Do not buy it.
2. The Grafton Station vendor sells BOS Combat Armor plans if you server hop a bunch
3. There is an eyebot that's playing old timey flute music that has a bunch of non-hostile radrats following it a la Pied Piper style near Harper's Ferry. Probably a rare random encounter.
4. There are two Handy robots that have a looping conversation like when you have two of those chat A.I. programs talking to each other. I found in the border region between the Mire and Cranberry Bog.
5. There is a random chance you will stumble upon a dead caravan with a dead deathclaw next to it. Upon inspecting the deathclaw it will be labeled as "dead vendor" and not "deathclaw". I've encountered this once in the Savage Divide and once in the Mire. Intelligent deathclaws a la Fallout 2 perhaps?

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I'm at the top of the world quests part of the main story and there's always level 60-100 characters around me which levels up so many of the enemies around me making it tough for this low level 35.

This server level scaling thing is awful now.

Yeah, they need to setup some sort of tiered level servers. Its pretty rough at times.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Finally I got the Calibrated Shocks for my X-01.

Where at? I'm hunting for the T-51b versions and optimized bracers. Online has been useless. Welch has been no luck. Did you get plans or the mods?

I finally got starched genes with healing factor and twisted muscles. Got an instigating and furious grognak axe with %40 extra power hit, max strength with+2 from motion assist and +3 during daytime for a total 20 strength. 320-ish base damage on the axe before chems with all 9 slugger perks. I loooove this build. Just hunting for those last PA mods now.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
As much I liked the game, it's unplayable for me until they fix the phantom weight bug and/or make major changes to weight in general. I have nearly 500 pounds on my character after getting rid of everything except a supply of stimpaks and water, plus a little food. So for now, I just give up and quit on this game. The infinite carry weight glitch was the only thing that kept the game actually fun to play, now it's misreable micromanaging ravaged by broken mechanics and bugs. Of course they would be so much more concerned with this bug and not the hundreds of actual game breaking ones. Way to drive away what little community that actually likes the game away.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
After all the nerfs I find leveling an alt to be much, much slower. I question if I want to bother after every session. I think its a combination of there being less events due to players spreading out now, as well as said events and killing mobs awarding less xp now.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using the infinite carry weight glitch and was pissed when they fixed it. Once I dealt with it though (had about 1400 lbs of stuff) I kind of find it refreshing. It also helped once I figured out how to read the dozens of plans and recipes I had

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Stumbled upon Whitesprings today. It's totally not where I thought it would be, but I see now why it has the reputation it has. Legendaries seem to drop like candy over there; too bad all the legendaries I got were pretty crap. (And level 15, nobody's got time for that crap.)

I started using melee more, relying on a ski sword and a super sledge. The super sledge hits hard, but it's not particularly durable. Actually, none of the melee weapons hold up nearly as well as guns (I guess because you're smashing things constantly). If this is what endgame requires, I forsee a lot of hanging around weapons workbenches and memorizing their locations in the world.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Five things:
1. The Christmas Emote bundle only gives you Christmas themed emote icons. The emote animations are the same as the regular ones. Do not buy it.
2. The Grafton Station vendor sells BOS Combat Armor plans if you server hop a bunch
3. There is an eyebot that's playing old timey flute music that has a bunch of non-hostile radrats following it a la Pied Piper style near Harper's Ferry. Probably a rare random encounter.
4. There are two Handy robots that have a looping conversation like when you have two of those chat A.I. programs talking to each other. I found in the border region between the Mire and Cranberry Bog.
5. There is a random chance you will stumble upon a dead caravan with a dead deathclaw next to it. Upon inspecting the deathclaw it will be labeled as "dead vendor" and not "deathclaw". I've encountered this once in the Savage Divide and once in the Mire. Intelligent deathclaws a la Fallout 2 perhaps?
I found this one too.

zorbsie

Oct 25, 2017
The marsupial mutation is so awesome. I feel like it's breaking the game. lol Anybody got a good source of 5.56 ammo? I feel like I'm spending a lot of time looking for material to craft more of it.

Oct 27, 2017
The marsupial mutation is so awesome. I feel like it's breaking the game. lol Anybody got a good source of 5.56 ammo? I feel like I'm spending a lot of time looking for material to craft more of it.
What's the marsupial mutation?

5.56 ammo starts to drop alot from Super Mutants around level 30 or so, lots of assault rifles and ammo.
That was last week though, not sure if anything changed in the last patch

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Thank god Snallygasters can't climb stairs, fast traveled to trees tops to see if it's loaded with hides again and i had 2 on me. Kicking my ass until I ran up some stairs and took cheapshots with the radium rifle I just picked up.

Now I'm having a carry weight problem again since I have so many different weapons I wanna carry :(. Do I keep the sniper rifle I crafted or do I drop the lever action rifle that's only level 25 whereas I'm 50. The Radium alone is about 20 pounds.

I got a faan on me but have a legendary one that weights 4 pounds, no idea where I got it from.

Oh and I'm swimming in stimpacks and purified water now and I don't even have the recipie for stimpacks yet.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Discovered what flux is. Anyone know if raw flux decays while you're offline? I need to find a hardened mass (no jokes please, we're British) in order to stabilize it but I don't want to spend all night doing it (AGAIN no jokes) if I don't have to.

god that was a lot more innuendo than I planned

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Discovered what flux is. Anyone know if raw flux decays while you're offline? I need to find a hardened mass (no jokes please, we're British) in order to stabilize it but I don't want to spend all night doing it (AGAIN no jokes) if I don't have to.

Not sure, I haven't kept flux in my inventory overnight before. However, if you use the perk Good with Salt it'll increase the time you have before it decays. Also use the Super Duper perk if you have it while crafting stable flux.

MistaPropella

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I hate the Brotherhood quest in the bog. The first time i made it through the cave to the endboss, after I killed that the server crashed. Now you have to restart that shitshow all over again.

Today I try it again and the moment I arrive in the cave the server crashes again. Come on Bethesda fix that shit.

Edit: Fuck it, third time in a row that I enter the Cave and get disconnected.

Last edited:

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
I hate the Brotherhood quest in the bog. The first time i made it through the cave to the endboss, after I killed that the server crashed. Now you have to restart that shitshow all over again.

Today I try it again and the moment I arrive in the cave the server crashes again. Come on Bethesda fix that shit.

I feel your pain, I got d/c'd today too after doing the quest. Thankfully, I looted the body before hand and got checkpointed. Are you playing on PC or console?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

god that was a lot more innuendo than I planned

It doesn't decay offline. Hardened mass is also a product of nuke blast zones only. Hardened mass, glowing mass, high radiation fluids are nuke products but they dont decay. All flux decays only while online. Be careful because hardened mass is considered a junk so if you scrap all junk you'll scrap it on accident.

Still no luck finding T-51b mod plans. This is the last thing I'm looking for. Also spent 2 hours beating the grognak epf pipboy game holotape. I'm embarrassed by how much I enjoyed that.

MistaPropella

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I feel your pain, I got d/c'd today too after doing the quest. Thankfully, I looted the body before hand and got checkpointed. Are you playing on PC or console?
I looted the body as well, but did not get the chrckpoint.
I'm playing on PS4.

Anyone in need of a Calibrated Shock Mod for T-60? Just bought it for 525 caps. I gladly help someone out with it.
Just PM me and I give you my PSN ID.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Happened to me. Apparently you dont have to start from scratch. If you go to the end of glassed cavern, after the boss fight you see a body under a spotlight in the same room. Inspect that and all the quest markers will update to that point in the quest.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
How radiated to I have to be to acquire a mutation? Or is it random?
Its random but easy. You generally get a mutation every near full health amount of rads. Caveat, if you want more than one you have to wait 30 minutes for a reset timer to allow you to get another or server hop. That's how people farm multiples. Dont forget starched genes 2 to geep mutations.

I've got twisted muscles and healing factor for now. Next target is marsupial but I'll go syrum route for that as three mutations in a row is a huge pain to farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.