OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How fast does it deplete? If I don't run , jump, etc? Can it last me for a while? How many hours of continuous usage?

I know there are perks to improve it later on, but Im asking for the stock experience
Anything that uses AP will drain the fusion core more quickly. Sprinting, jumping, using VATS.

Once you get Power User level 3 fusion core drain stops being an issue. I've got over 300 hours in the game, the vast majority of it in Power Armor, and I never drop below having 70 cores.

A good way to get cores is to claim the power plant workshops.

fallout.fandom.com

Fusion core processor

The fusion core processor is a world object and type of mineral extractor in Fallout 76. Fusion core processors produce one fully-charged fusion core every seven minutes and can store a maximum of three cores (as of patch 1.0.2.0). These serve as a way to stockpile fusion cores to provide power...

But you really need Batteries Included and Power User before you seriously start using power armor. Fusion Cores weigh a lot without Batteries Included.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
This game is 30fps on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, correct?

I'm torn. I can get this game for PC now - and enjoy it at 1080p/60fps - but it probably gets PS5/XSX patches later this year, right? And those consoles will absolutely blow away my PC (4K/60fps/HighSettings).
Is this game going to have legs ten months from now? Hmm.....

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
How fast does it deplete? If I don't run , jump, etc? Can it last me for a while? How many hours of continuous usage?

I know there are perks to improve it later on, but Im asking for the stock experience.

To eke out the most usage without perks, don't sprint, use power attacks, or use VATS. It's not hours of continuous usage for one core, though. More like...ten minutes? Tops?

The easiest way to get a stockpile of cores is to take over the workshop outside Poseidon Power Plant. If you have the fusion generator schematic unlocked, hook it up to the fusion core generator there and get it running. You'll have a stockpile in no time. (But don't carry them all with you everywhere. They're heavy!)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The power armor is only 10 pounds, so I just carry it everywhere with 2 batteries as well. I pull it out when I'm about to enter a dangerous situation then put it away when it's over.

Sometimes if I'm ambushed I'll even run behind cover and get into it.

Also, it doesn't drain any energy if you fast travel while wearing the armor.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Anything that uses AP will drain the fusion core more quickly. Sprinting, jumping, using VATS.

Once you get Power User level 3 fusion core drain stops being an issue. I've got over 300 hours in the game, the vast majority of it in Power Armor, and I never drop below having 70 cores.

A good way to get cores is to claim the power plant workshops.

fallout.fandom.com

Fusion core processor

The fusion core processor is a world object and type of mineral extractor in Fallout 76. Fusion core processors produce one fully-charged fusion core every seven minutes and can store a maximum of three cores (as of patch 1.0.2.0). These serve as a way to stockpile fusion cores to provide power...

But you really need Batteries Included and Power User before you seriously start using power armor. Fusion Cores weigh a lot without Batteries Included.

Great, thanks for the advice. Noted.

To eke out the most usage without perks, don't sprint, use power attacks, or use VATS. It's not hours of continuous usage for one core, though. More like...ten minutes? Tops?

The easiest way to get a stockpile of cores is to take over the workshop outside Poseidon Power Plant. If you have the fusion generator schematic unlocked, hook it up to the fusion core generator there and get it running. You'll have a stockpile in no time. (But don't carry them all with you everywhere. They're heavy!)

Fantastic..

The power armor is only 10 pounds, so I just carry it everywhere with 2 batteries as well. I pull it out when I'm about to enter a dangerous situation then put it away when it's over.

Yes but, that clashes with my "Power Armor Role Play fantasy"

This game is 30fps on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, correct?

I'm torn. I can get this game for PC now - and enjoy it at 1080p/60fps - but it probably gets PS5/XSX patches later this year, right? And those consoles will absolutely blow away my PC (4K/60fps/HighSettings).
Is this game going to have legs ten months from now? Hmm.....

I went for the Xbox One X just because of that, I wanted continuity and a next gen patch would make sense. The X is hooked to my OLED, and the PC while quite good, feels cumbersome (its upstairs, with a regular monitor, TV and couch are downstairs, etc.)

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Killed a leader Sentry Bot that was a couple of levels higher than me, and then the explosion after it died blew it away somewhere and I couldn't find it to loot it. :(

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Those collectrons sure love talking and clanking around, don't they?

Just gonna....put it as close to the border of my camp as possible there.

NFsl4Pl.gif

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Slowly making my way up to Level 20 - up to Level 16 now. Still having a complete blast with the game. It's really scratching that Fallout itch, meaning it's something I sit down to play and next thing I know several hours have just disappeared\. Then I think about it during the work day, planning out what I want to accomplish when I log on next.

I finished up the Fire Breather's quest line in Ash Heap earlier tonight. I know people here mentioned they changed the lighting for this patch, and maybe it's just the much more positive time I'm having with the game influencing me - but I swear Ash Heap did not look nearly as cool as it does now. Was wandering around the area in the moonlight and it was crazy atmospheric with the moonlight bouncing off the rocks and smoke and haze everywhere. It really caught me off guard just how good it looked.

My only complaint right now is that I feel like I've not really made any advancement in gear or weapons in several levels. Still using the same rifle and shotgun combo, with metal armor. I've taken the time to mod them all as i go along, and I think I did re-craft the next level up rifle... but.. it's been a long time since I found a meaningful upgrade gear wise.

I'm sure this is more that I'm missing something. Now that I'm wandering around the Top of the World enemies are starting to more closely match my level making for more interesting fights, so hopefully something worthwhile is just around the corner for me to find there. I did try swapping over to some of the laser weapons I've found but they felt really weak and burned through ammo. I have gotten a few other random one off pieces of armor to drop - but they were level 20/25 reqs and so kind of anticlimactic.

Is there a more steady path to upgrades on gear and weapons I should be pursuing? I looked at the Vendor bot plans but they seemed more around unlocking mods for the weapons/armor versus outright new weapons/armor.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
My only complaint right now is that I feel like I've not really made any advancement in gear or weapons in several levels. Still using the same rifle and shotgun combo, with metal armor. I've taken the time to mod them all as i go along, and I think I did re-craft the next level up rifle... but.. it's been a long time since I found a meaningful upgrade gear wise.

I'm lvl 19 and I'm in the exact same situation. I am progressing in quest, levels and new areas but my gear has stuck in lvl 8-10 stuff that I just try to keep updating (nothing better shows up).

I just killed around 40 mutants in a Dam and I did get two nice laser rifles, and a Minigun (but I cant use the Minigun and it weights 16 lbs)

Earlier in the day I asked about it and I got some recommendation in this same thread (this page or the last one), check it out.

Also: metal armor is screwing me up, I should have stayed with leather, as fixing metal requires screws/gears (dont recall), and all weapons need that as well.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm level 9 now and my shotgun breaks so fast I can't even repair it. Should I just not bother modding my guns and swap them out for new ones 'til I'm higher?

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike a lot of other games where gear upgrades are very frequent, you are unlikely to constantly upgrade your arsenal in this game if you are focusing on a specific type. Until level 50, you probably aren't going to replace a weapon you like until every 5/10 levels when a higher leveled version of it can drop or be crafted. Even at 50, it doesn't take long to get a decent legendary weapon that you will probably use for a long time.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
I'm level 9 now and my shotgun breaks so fast I can't even repair it. Should I just not bother modding my guns and swap them out for new ones 'til I'm higher?

Shotguns seem to have an issue right now where the pump action and even combat shotgun lose a lot of durability per shot, even if you have a maxed out gunsmith perk. I'd avoid them until you can build up some resources to repair them.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shotguns seem to have an issue right now where the pump action and even combat shotgun lose a lot of durability per shot, even if you have a maxed out gunsmith perk. I'd avoid them until you can build up some resources to repair them.

Oh, duly noted. Shame as I'm going for a shotgun build...should I go for a Double Barrel then, or something?

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Oh, duly noted. Shame as I'm going for a shotgun build...should I go for a Double Barrel then, or something?

When you can find it, yeah, it's a good choice. Double barrel hits the hardest of the three main shotguns, double barrel, pump, and combat. Combat fires the fastest and has the lowest damage and pump is a middle ground between the two but requires the longest reload. Scorched and Mole Men will generally have shotguns in abundance. Double barrel will begin showing up on level 15+ enemies and combat shotgun I think on 25+.

Edit: There's also plasma and laser shotguns if you give them the beam splitter mods. Issue with those awhile back was that they degraded the durability -really- fast, just like normal shotguns are doing now.

Jun 17, 2018
I've played just past level 5 now. Jank aside, this is a lot of fun, the gameplay loop is good and the combat isn't as terrible as I thought it would be. Looking forward to playing more when I get the chance.

Quick question - are enemies levels determined by area or do they generally level up with your PC?

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you can find it, yeah, it's a good choice. Double barrel hits the hardest of the three main shotguns, double barrel, pump, and combat. Combat fires the fastest and has the lowest damage and pump is a middle ground between the two but requires the longest reload. Scorched and Mole Men will generally have shotguns in abundance. Double barrel will begin showing up on level 15+ enemies and combat shotgun I think on 25+.

Edit: There's also plasma and laser shotguns if you give them the beam splitter mods. Issue with those awhile back was that they degraded the durability -really- fast, just like normal shotguns are doing now.

Noted, thanks. I'll cycle disposable shotguns off scorched until I find a double barreled.

Is this a bug they plan to fix or just a weird design choice?

James_liv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Whatever you do don't drop your power armor from your inventory. Only place it.
If I drop it in my house they can steal it?

I think I can only place it in one of those yellow frames thou can't I?
I don't think I can just place it on the floor in my house.

James_liv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
They can get a sizable amount of scrap, but its entirely random what they get. Look for deskfans for screws. They are everywhere and they have two screws.

It's really annoying that have have the Highlight screws option on but it never shows up things like fans which only have screws if you break them down.

I must have passed stacks of fans and never knew they contained screws despite having the search for them function on.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

TLDR: It's all kinds of stupid how power armor is lightweight spandex suit shoved into your pocket instead of massive armor with mass and physical presence it should have

Always been issue with modern FO games. PA's are almost more common than leather armor, they are just HP buffs with no physical presence or mass to them. Goofy stuff with a lots of clipping in models.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
At lower levels especially and for some crafted armor, it's actually easier to just craft new armor pieces than repair them. Some armor you can build without needing the more popular resources while repairing the armor uses different resources like screws.

TLDR: It's all kinds of stupid how power armor is lightweight spandex suit shoved into your pocket instead of massive armor with mass and physical presence it should have

Always been issue with modern FO games. PA's are almost more common than leather armor, they are just HP buffs with no physical presence or mass to them. Goofy stuff with a lots of clipping in models.

But it was realistic how you could walk around in old fallout games with multiple suits of armor, multiple rifles, mini guns, rocket launchers and more in your inventory? You used to be able to lug around PA in your inventory in the old games too, the full suit penalty in this is much reduced of course but still it's not something new to the franchise

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
At lower levels especially and for some crafted armor, it's actually easier to just craft new armor pieces than repair them. Some armor you can build without needing the more popular resources while repairing the armor uses different resources like screws.

This is especially true at level 30, if you have the armorer perk. I believe it removes the ballistic fiber requirement from crafting level 30 and 40 armor, which is a rare resource at those levels. Crafting sturdy leather at level 30 would require 4 ballistic fiber per piece, of which there's 5. Level 40 is 6 per piece, level 50 is 8. With a rank 2 armorer perk you drop the requirements by a large margin, such that at level 50 each piece requires only 3 fiber, saving you 25 for a whole suit.

At level 39, if you can fit it in your build, I also really recommend getting level 3 White Knight in agility. It makes your armor break down 60% slower and requires less resources to repair.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
You want screws? I'll tell you where to get screws.

1. In the "Abandoned Bog Town" is a building. It's the tallest building in the area, you can't miss it. Climb the outside stairs to the roof. Jump down the elevator shaft. You are now in an old office, and there is a typewriter on almost every desk. Boom, you got screws.

Now of course, if you are on a public server, they may already be cleaned out. Keep trying. I have had a lot of luck there in the past.

2. Sugar Grove. Sugar Grove has tons of fans and other stuff. Easy Peasy.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

1. In the "Abandoned Bog Town" is a building. It's the tallest building in the area, you can't miss it. Climb the outside stairs to the roof. Jump down the elevator shaft. You are now in an old office, and there is a typewriter on almost every desk. Boom, you got screws.

Now of course, if you are on a public server, they may already be cleaned out. Keep trying. I have had a lot of luck there in the past.

I just grab every globe, fan and toy I see. They are fairly lightweight and produce 1 to 2 screws each. They are everywhere you explore, so I don't even need to farm.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I grab every item that has screws that I find, never can have enough and always running low on them. The amount of screws needed in the game is annoying

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
the need to farm usually comes when you are trying to learn weapon mods through crafting/scrapping. Takes a lot of screws.
Ahh - I have been wondering if that would actually work. I kind of just assumed there would be some kind of protection in the game to make crafted items not result in mods being learned through deconstruction - in an effort to push players towards farming loot, or spending caps to buy mod plans. Good to know that this is feasible!

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Ahh - I have been wondering if that would actually work. I kind of just assumed there would be some kind of protection in the game to make crafted items not result in mods being learned through deconstruction - in an effort to push players towards farming loot, or spending caps to buy mod plans. Good to know that this is feasible!

Yep! It's the best method to learn mods quickly.

It's tied to intelligence, so the higher the intelligence, the more likely you will learn a mod when scrapping. Also, some weapons are harder to learn than others. The radium rifle for some reason is insanely hard. I had to craft/scrap a crazy amount of them to learn the suppressor mod. Not worth it as the gun isn't that good anyway.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yep, it's a bummer but they aren't going to change it.

Keep in mind that some things are non-transferable, like backpacks and the new wastelander legendary weapons.

Just looking to throw over crafting mats, basic armors, guns, ammo, caps and such from character that I abandoned at level 30 something. She was abandoned few weeks after release.

Going to reroll level 1 on Steam, starting from 0 with Atoms so that on top of added meat to a lot of quests motivates to take 76 as on and off game to side.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I know the levels are soft capped at 50, but is that just when it lets you stop putting a point into a stat?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Gotcha...does Charisma have much of a point outside of the Wastelanders content? I'm mainly focusing on Perception and Agility as I'm a stealth sniper character.

Charisma is basically for team play. Most of the perks revolve around buffing teammates or yourself. Most builds I look at cap it at 2-4 skill points. I don't think I've ever seen anyone running with high Charisma.

For speech checks, buff Charisma with drugs or armor.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
It was really dumb of me to actually take all these mutations as soon as I maxed starched genes.

Class Freak is still 13 levels away and I can really feel the AP loss since I didn't have much to begin with.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Where should I be putting Special points? My friend said I messed up by having 6 in perception.

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Quick question - are enemies levels determined by area or do they generally level up with your PC?

Can anyone clarify this question?

Also, if I want to build things like more advanced things like certain types of turrets, it says I need a camp defense level - is that a perk I eventually get? I'm just level 5 now.

thank you!

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are just level 5 don't worry about anything other than doing quests. Nothing really matters until you get to 20 and even then only mapping out your perk build until level 50.

Where should I be putting Special points? My friend said I messed up by having 6 in perception.
What are you trying to specialize in? Rifles?

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
As much as I appreciate all the new content, this game is as buggy as ever. The latest big one I had last night was for the Fun and Games quest, get all the way to the end and something that is supposed to trigger doesn't, so I can't progress. Sure it was kinda fun mowing down a ton of robots and I can always use that kind of scrap, but it's frustrating.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
If you have an HDR TV make sure to turn it off. Game looks way better without it. Colors are much better

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Also, if I want to build things like more advanced things like certain types of turrets, it says I need a camp defense level - is that a perk I eventually get? I'm just level 5 now.

thank you!

It's a bit of both. In the early areas near the entrance of vault 76 for example only low level things spawn so there is some level gating. Inside instances you will typically get spawns higher and closer to your level depending on area. Outside of that early zone, the game basically when spawning new mobs will spawn them to be a "challenge" for players. If the enemy mobs already spawned in that area for lower level players, then those lower level enemies will still be there.

That's why as a high level player you can roll into an area that has weak enemies one moment, and another day same area is spawning really high level things that kick your butt.

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

thank you!

There's a Home Defense perk—a perk with three levels—that allows you to build better turrets and advanced C.A.M.P. and workshop defense gizmos. It's not available to choose until level 22, however, and honestly, I'd suggest waiting until you've gotten your build in order before investing in this very optional perk. The home turrets aren't that spectacular.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
They really need to introduce player vaults or some other sort of instanced homes that allow you to greatly expand the space you have to build with.

I'd put some atoms down on that shit.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

I cant empathize with your complain. It has been the same since Fallout 1.

• Fallout 1-2: I used to have the T-51 in inventory in occasions where other armor gave me more stealth or something.
  • Fallout 3 (and NV as it used the same core logic) was the one that messed it up, having it look like a tin can and deteriorating like an alka seltzer.
  • Fallout 4 was very realistic with this, it weighted a ton, allowed you to carry the big guns (aligned with the lore), and unless you were swiming in power cores you would only use it on special ocasions.
  • 76 provides a good mix. This is a game after all, some compromises must be made in an online world, for an improved user experience.

You are a good person. Thank you.